What's new

what does the TYM community think of DOA5 compared to MKX?

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains

besides the great looking Cast and Graphics, what does DOA5 offer!

what is its Practice mode like?

Are Hitboxes Viewable?

Is there Frame Data?

How is the Online?

What is Single Player like?

What are combos Like?

Is there OH and Lows?

Are there Reversals?

Meter Management?

is Footsies A factor? some games have more footsies than others!

What is your overal Rating?

Can Each of you Rate Each category above in a 1/10 scale?

do not post anything to revealing! i have been asked by tim static not to have anything to revealing on threads, because TYM can get hurt by controversial things like that! just respect the rules!

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
DOA5 is fantastic. I'm not big on 3D fighters but this is probably the only one I really enjoy. Great cast and love the way it plays. Also, doesn't hurt that the characters are easy on the eyes.

I love MKX, but there's only so many times I can watch Mileena inhale someone and then vomit them out.

I give it 8/10.

With all the underage girls in this game, I'm pretty sure Jared Fogle from Subway would enjoy DOA very much. Thier slogan isn't "Eat Fresh" for nothing.
I like how the devs want to preserve the integrity of their work. What exactly is this integrity they speak of? Scantily clad schoolgirls and dudes in muscle suits. The defense rests.

It's hard for me to take the game seriously with its rock-paper-scissors mechanics, but it can be a fun game to play local 2v2 with friends over some beers. Also, no worthwhile single player content or story only hurts the score. So...5/10 overall.

Dark_Ky

Noob

1. what is its Practice mode like?

2. Are Hitboxes Viewable?

3. Is there Frame Data?

4. How is the Online?

5. What is Single Player like?

6. What are combos Like?

7. Is there OH and Lows?

8. Are there Reversals?

9. Meter Management?

10. is Footsies A factor? some games have more footsies than others!

do not post anything to revealing! i have been asked by tim static not to have anything to revealing on threads, because TYM can get hurt by controversial things like that! just respect the rules!
1. practice mode is godlike. NRS players can only dream to have something similar to DOAs practice mode.

2. No

3. if you mean if its possible to look up framedata ingame than yes. you can execute a move in pratice mode and the game immediately shows the frames, damage, properties etc and framedata in DOA is as important as in every other FG.

4. online is ok, better than MKX imo

5. single player has its standard modes (story, survival, tag) but nothing special.

6. combos are pretty much straightforward when you get the launch but because of the stun-system it has a additional layer to it.

7. I am not sure how familiar you are with 3d fighters but they are usually high-,mid and lowattacks combined with throws to mixup your offense. DOA has its very own triangle system with attacks, holds and throws. attacks beat throws, holds beat attacks and throws beat holds. on the surface its nothing too complicated but in its competitive core its very deep, fastpaced and fun to play.

8. holds play a very big part DOA. while you are stunned (for example you ate a CH) you cant attack, block, move etc. but you can hold the next attack your opponent throws at you. there are high-, mid-, and low hold to counter specific (high, mid, low) attacks. I could go on about this but there are enough tutorials out there, check them out.

9. a meterbar doesnt exist in DOA but once your healthbar goes down to a certain point, it flashes red and you have access to a powerblow or a powerlauncher for big damage.

10. of course but its more of a in your face and fastpaced fighting game.

9/10 - DOA5 is a great game, best in the series so far. download core-fighters (almost full access to the game, even online but no story mode and not all chars are unlocked) for free and see it for yourself. I am not sure why you would ask about DOA on a different forum where there is clearly bias and igorance towards the series. go here, they will gladly help you to get into the game:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

4. online is ok, better than MKX imo
thats a breaker for me, if its just ok and not little to none i wont play.

MKX hs many more problems than that game. needless to say, MKX is more of a Beta than a finished game. ecept is notlike an open beta its a beta that get no fixes and stays the same.

if any other game did this i would drop them.

Xev

Noob
Online is actually really good, one of the better ones out there to play. I really enjoy the fighting in it, it's just too over sexualized for me. Was a fun diversion to play for awhile until something else came out.

MadeOfMetal

ive played many games that where mostly based on sexuality, and i think people are to subjective to thinking any other way than how they where raised.

Scarlet Blade was a very fun MMORPG i enjoyed it, was there thing that was to far? yes yes there was! but i still liked it.

to me sexuality and all things related to nudity, sex, preference is open conversation to me.

my only issue is allowing people to buy a game with the mental maturity of a 17 year old.

there should be a higher age rate for revealing games.

now backto what i was saying, i think people have either the sexist view that nudity is degrading to a specific sex and or its taboo because they where rasied that showing there body is against the law,not allowed in public.

i don't agree with this way of thinking, i don't hold restrictions on the body, to me its enjoyable in many levels
its, sexually arousing, aesthetically pleasing (we are all wired with this) but we seem to keep it private. and above all it can be art, i will not say that game is intended for art, but many displays of the female/male body is.
especially with the female body, lets be honest its the better of the two.

also i will note that MKX has many things that could be considered offensive to some, not me personally, homosexual references in a couple games. gore, violence, killing, fighting.

NOTE: i have nothing against homosexuals or Lesbians!!!!
love them they are wonderful people, i know a couple transgender's and they bring light everywhere they go!

later on in my life i realized that homophobia is what it is a fear, and is like a disease. something i had to go to counseling for, no doubt because of the way i was raised.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
the games are completely different, you cannot compare them, this is like comparing a steak to ice cream, you just cant do it they are too different

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Doa would be a great game if they got rid of the get away for free guessing game all the time, the game is good aside from the fact that you can reversal shit after being punished, unless of course you get launched, but still a massive guessing game, which in many cases its not worth cashing out damage.

frame data is godlike, there is a frame counter that will tell your execution frames of every move you use, it will tell the blockstun everytime the opponent blocks.

There isin't much of input bug issues either.
But the reversal system is bollocks, which is why most consider a fucboi's game.

5/10

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Doa would be a great game if they got rid of the get away for free guessing game all the time, the game is good aside from the fact that you can reversal shit after being punished, unless of course you get launched, but still a massive guessing game, which in many cases its not worth cashing out damage.

5/10
You can try, but unless your name is Elliot you're taking a 33/33/33 gamble at best on if you are just going to be juggled forever or not. Once you get to a certain level, it becomes much less worth it to break a combo unless you know 100% the opponent can't avoid it (which most can outside of like... Rig and maybe Zach).

With all the underage girls in this game, I'm pretty sure Jared Fogle from Subway would enjoy DOA very much. Thier slogan isn't "Eat Fresh" for nothing.
As for every character being underage like the above comment said, memory serving the only character who is confirmed to be under 18 is Elliot who is a male, having just turned it in DoA5. Even Marie Rose, the youngest looking woman in the game, is 18. The only other exception is Ayane whom was 16 in some cutscenes, but 18 for all intents and purposes.

I like how the devs want to preserve the integrity of their work. What exactly is this integrity they speak of? Scantily clad schoolgirls and dudes in muscle suits. The defense rests.
Soul Caliber had the option of dressing Ivy in a thin-strip set of leather covers, or a full sailor regalia complete with historically accurate commendation medals on it. The existance isn't the question, its a matter of user choice. If you choose to play the girl characters with scantily clad outfits or the men in muscle shirts, fine but that is not of the game's doing. It is of your own.

In fact, barring perhaps 3 or 4 (one of which is a wrestler so she is in traditional luchadores costume), most of the other women are in very traditional, very covering outfits. Look at the base outfits for Kokoro, Hitomi, or Nyotengu. All of them are far from "sexy". I'd say the only base costumes arguable would be Rachel, Kitsumi, Tina Armstrong, and Mariposa. Helena strikes it close but gratuitous cleavage aside its a pretty basic outfit.

Overly complicated overly sexualised and not begginer friendly at all.
It has a full-fledged tutorial mode for each character designed to teach you the inputs of your moves, the tools at your disposal, and even starter combos to help you grasp the fight engine. Very few, if any, other games have such a system so extensive in place for newcomers.

Now to my comments...

what is its Practice mode like? - Very extensive and user-friendly, the frame data is incredible and deep. 10/10

Are Hitboxes Viewable? - In some regards, however mostly not so much. Still, the game is very true to its models so if it looks like it should hit it usually does. 8/10

Is there Frame Data? - Yes and its beautiful 10/10

How is the Online? - Pretty decent unless you're going international. 7/10

What is Single Player like? - Not the best unless you're a lore junkie. Still, scales well enough that someone who isn't confident enough to go to versus can pick up some basic skills and practice. 6/10 for content, but 7/10 for usefulness.

What are combos Like? - Frame data basically explain what links and what doesn't, you'll usually want to do some basic footsies into a snap launcher if you can manage. Do some air juggle, then focus on set-up with your enders. Wall splats are a thing, stage interaction if you have it engaged as well. Combos can vary and are crisp, but there are optimal ones to use. 9/10

Is there OH and Lows? - God yes. Everywhere. If you aren't vigilant you can lose just off of those two. 10/10 except for like 2 character who would be an 8/10.

Are there Reversals? - Yes, there is a hold system in place. Some characters (like elliot) have a better hold game than others, but basically you make a guess to if your opponent is going high/low punch or high/low kick and put in one of multiple hold inputs to try and counter. Guess right, and its like a combo-breaker type deal (some characters get follow-ups), but if you guess wrong you are going to eat even more damage, making it risk/reward. Either know your stuff or avoid pressing a button, as most top players have specific baits in place for people who like to try and use holds recklessly. 10/10 for system depth

Meter Management? - No meter so N/A

is Footsies A factor? - Yes in a very big way. Much moreso than NRS games, though not as much as some others. Its how you get your hits in, and lacking a footsie game completely will ensure you never get anywhere in this game so one could say its something that every top player MUST have a strength in to succeed at even the lower top levels. 9/10

What is your overal Rating? - Probably a 9/10 or a 10/10. Despite common, often unfounded, complaints towards the game, it stands as a beacon of the elements that make a game strong. Though not without its flaws, you'd have to be some kind of idiot or have never touched or seen the game at a high level to assume its just schoolgirls and muscleheads. Beneath the fun surface lies an almost infinitely deep engine that can be explored by any player willing to put the time in, and those who do work a kind of magic that makes the game come alive on a level that most games simply can't obtain.

To compare it to MKX would be folly, the games are different in too many ways to compare them. If one did, the idea that MKX bests DOA in anything that isn't amount of blood spilled or having a meter bar would be nothing more than loyalist prattle. Should MKX have even half of the engine and elements that DOA brings to the table (or online, for that matter) the game would likely not have the common issues that plague each one.

Not to say MKX is a bad game, by no means and in fact I rather enjoy it, but having tried both franchises and having grown decently skilled in both, I'd say that while MKX makes me feel like I'm wading in a puddle, DOA makes me aware that I'm but a dot upon an ocean of potential. Hell, if they'd put my boy Shun Di in the game instead of Brad, I don't think I'd touch any other game.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

besides the great looking Cast and Graphics, what does DOA5 offer!

Are Hitboxes Viewable?
Is there Frame Data?
How is the Online?
What are combos Like?
Is there OH and Lows?
Are there Reversals?
Meter Management?

I have had the astounding fortune to be a part of that community for a short time. According to my friends in there I still am, but I haven't had the opportunity to play LR because the PC version is currently very beta. That aside, (and I'm going to say their community beats this one in camaraderie, helpfulness and overall @ human beings, sorry guys.) all I am going to say here is based on experience with DoA5, PS3.

The game itself is good.
DOA5 has a solid and balanced combat system where frankly, no character is heavily disadvantaged. Now don't get me wrong, there is struggle, there are better and worse characters, more difficult matchups and you won't find too many FIGHTERS who wouldn't want a buff for their character much like in this game. Still, I put DoA way above MKX in playability, and that's a last gen game.
Down to your questions then:

- Practice mode can do everything.
- I don't know if they have made hitboxes viewable, but that aside, it's up to date and useful.
- Of course there is frame data.
- Online is playable. Better than MKX.
- Single Player has several difficulties, the last two of which are really challenging.
- Combos exist, are flashy and fun to do.
- Yes, there are all manners of mixups MK has, but even more as there is a Triangle System: Strike beats Throw beats Hold beats Strike. Rock paper scissors but it's not as obvious and can lead to plenty of layers of yomi. The pace of the game is more relaxed overall. Very user-friendly. If you mash, you die. You won't find people mashing out shit online either, or if you do, you can rekt them by just timing the right counter.
- Footsies are a factor of course, like in any fighting game worth playing. No character in that game blows up footsies completely. Dominating space is a thing, zoning as in shitting out iafs 10 times a second, is not.

Overall? If MKX is a 3/10 I'd give DoA the 10. But since I only gave MKX a 1/10, I'm going to give DoA the 8.

d3v

SRK
You can the number of people who've never actually tried the game competitively due to all the comments about the counters. In fact, DOA5 is one of the least counter friendly installments of the series. At high level play, it's usually much better to slow escape out of long stuns than try to counter hold - that is if your opponent allows you to slow escape, since most optimal combos cannot be slow escaped at all. Also, the critical system means that the most optimal combos cannot be countered out of. Any time a character has at least one foot off the ground, they can't counter. Once a character is juggled (which becomes easier once they're in critical), then they cannot escape the combo at all. In a way, Killer Instinct has less guaranteed combos, thanks to aerial combo breakers.

And this is before I get into vortex/set play. Thanks to the ability of some characters to force their opponents to tech out of a knockdown, you can do some interesting vortex setups in the game.

-Probably one of the better practice modes in any modern fighter.

Are Hitboxes Viewable?
-No. But it's not a big deal considering that it's a 3D fighter and doesn't use regular 2D hitboxes.

Is there Frame Data?
-Of course, why is this even a question. Any fighting game runs on frames.

How is the Online?
-Decent enough. Better than NRS.

-Story mode is so-so. It's not a single narrative, but rather multiple ones woven together. Other modes however give enough to do when playing against the AI.

What are combos Like?
-Can get quite long in the right hands. Usually, only the first, grounded part of the combo can be counter held out of. Once you juggle someone, that's it.

Is there OH and Lows?
-Of course.

Are there Reversals?
-It's a 3D fighter, so there are traditional 3D fighter wakeups.

Meter Management?
-No.
-The closest thing would be the critical system, certain hits put your opponent in critical state, once they're in this state, you can fill a hidden meter based on damage that allows you so use a Critical Blow, which either leads to combos, or sets up Power Launchers and Power Blows.

-Of course.
-Footsies in this game are reminiscent of SFIII 3rd Strike. Repetition and being predictable in general are punished heavily (with counter holds in neutral acting like parries in 3S). This means that the game rewards mix ups as well as those who have a deeper knowledge of their characters tools in neutral.

8/10

Last edited: