What's new

Question - Gunslinger What do you prefer as a combo ender?

LDHaten

Noob
- On Gunslinger, I end short BnB's like F13 / F12 / B33 with the SO3 (Low Shot), and started out ending EX-SG combos with something along the lines of F24-Slide, mostly because I find linking the ST a bit hard, maybe because I haven't practiced it much. However, after watching Anbu's combo video, I preferred ending my EX-SG combos with SG instead, as the recovery feels great, leading up into a run-in B3 or SO3 for pressure.

- So what do y'all prefer? SG for recovery time set-up? Slide for a change in position? ST for maximum damage? or maybe even Caltrops, to focus on chip damage & further pressure? Of course you could say all of these are situational, but if you have a favorite or even just a mild preference, I'd like to hear it.

Noob
If I need to corner carry 21122 -> SG 21122-> Slide

Corner -> F24 Caltrops -> 21122 Caltrops -> If near death 21122 ST

Breaker near death
Multiple Ex-Sand Grenades into grab

LDHaten

Noob
I kind of want to mess around more with ending combos with 121, as I really like the oki possibility with it. Knocking someone down with 121 always leaves just enough time to B33/B32U1. However, it just seems to hard to combo into. Usually do it for a quick 8frame punish over the 11B3.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
abuse 21122. On block do 211-tick throw, 2112-tick throw, 211-EX SG, 2112-EX SG, 2112 SOS3. If you confirm 21122, do (2112-EX SG-F2 SGust-RunCancel-21122-Slide). Slide is a HKD and you can move in to meaty or bait their wakeup. I mostly end in slide to continue the pressure. I use sandtackle just to tick throw or at times near the corner because it is actually plus (frame data is wrong) but not as strong as it used to be.

InFlames

dead
abuse 21122. On block do 211-tick throw, 2112-tick throw, 211-EX SG, 2112-EX SG, 2112 SOS3. If you confirm 21122, do (2112-EX SG-F2 SGust-RunCancel-21122-Slide). Slide is a HKD and you can move in to meaty or bait their wakeup. I mostly end in slide to continue the pressure. I use sandtackle just to tick throw or at times near the corner because it is actually plus (frame data is wrong) but not as strong as it used to be.
It takes some practice but you can confirm 21xxSand Gust for meterless damage as well

The Farmer

I kind of want to mess around more with ending combos with 121, as I really like the oki possibility with it. Knocking someone down with 121 always leaves just enough time to B33/B32U1. However, it just seems to hard to combo into. Usually do it for a quick 8frame punish over the 11B3.
Here is one with 121. B32U1, Jump in punch, Run cancel 121.

The Farmer

It takes some practice but you can confirm 21xxSand Gust for meterless damage as well
Thats a good one, I can never link that, however you posted that F1-SandGust link a while back which, for me anyways, works smoother.

Alvhe Feleo

Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow.
Hey guys, I know it's a slightly old thread but nobody plays gunslinger (for rather obvious reasons). I want to use it a bit for the challenge and so far I'm doing good but still need some insight.

I can do 34% 1 meter easily ending in command grab, or alternatively a 28% with caltrops. I've noticed this variation doesn't have any particular footsie/string/reset but it builds a meter bar with 1 single combo rather quickly on block and it's relatively safe if you end with f132 even on block and 21122xx command grab as a finisher is a monster.

Please someone elaborate here, how am I supposed to use the coin and standoff?

The Farmer

im going out for dinner this evening but I can give a run down later, I'm one of the few that actually mains this variation.

Redux

Ex Phase
Please someone elaborate here, how am I supposed to use the coin and standoff?
I'm sure the farmer will give better advice but the few times I ever used gunslinger, for standoff I use it to get the opponent out of my face and attempt to zone a bit when they are low on health/I have no meter.

The coin move is an annoyance for me since I'll accidently do it when Im trying to D1 sometimes lol.

truth is gunslinger has 'zoning' moves that don't really add to his up front rush down style compared to the other variations. I just use it to practice my execution with 21122 and errons basic strings while looking slick with the hat.

The Farmer

Not much use for coin flip other than a preemptive anti air up close and a gimmick. I use it in zoning at times from full screen cause it has semi decent recovery. It links so every now and then I use b33coin flip because if b3 opens up youre plus after the coin and you can continue pressure. Ex coin is a waste of meter.

SOS 4 is decent for full screen zoning when it is paired and used with sand grenade because sand grenade is a HKD and recovers the best. After a SG confirm you can go straight into SOS 4 and fire for free, they hit mid at least so they have no option other than to block because it's tough to jump. After that you can roll another SG. In the corner you can link sos4 with your F13 string, this gives you frames to go straight into sos again at sweep range in the corner to either blowup their wake up with sos3, catch them jumping on wake up with sos2 or create more space with sos2. Sos4 has a step back motion so it can blowup jump ins at mid to max range and can blowup overhead teleport specials such as Quans or Posessed Kenshi if timed right. At mid screen you can check people with f24 sos4 and the step back motion will keep you safe from a counterpoke.

Sos2 is primarily a preemptive anti air and you can link it after b2 in some combos. It can confirm face to face. Not much else here. It's multi hitting so that's nice I guess.

Sos3 I use linked with b33, 211, 2112, and f13 for meterless damage, it's not great but there isnt a lot of other options other than b32u1 and F1-sand gust. Sos3 is great for blowing wake ups in some cases, you can mix it in with your 21122 pressure with tackle, SG, and sos3. It is unsafe however. You can use run cancel pressure on your opponents wake up at mid or full screen. So if you HKD them at distance you can run like your going to pressure their wake up but stop at sweep and fire sos3 to mix them. In the corner you can end you combo in slide and go straight into sos3 if you read them to armor wake up. It will blow every armor wake up except reptiles I believe. But if they block your dead to rights so it's risky.

Extra tips, if your zoning full screen with sos always make sure you get caltrops out especially against characters that have holding specials like Sub zero, this way they can't run to you to confirm a full combo on a trade.

Last edited:

Alvhe Feleo

Woohoo that's a lot of stuff to get started, thank you very much.

I could drop a wall of text but instead I'm going to make it short, sorry for the lack of detail:

The experience was lackluster. I guess I have the wrong mindset (I had the same experience in the past with Possessed Kenshi, though he was useless until I saw @Pig Of The Hut playing). I will try to find some gunslinger videos and see if I can learn anything else.

A personal note, I'd say SO1 should build meter at least since it's -9 on cancel and does nothing (ridiculous).

The Farmer

Woohoo that's a lot of stuff to get started, thank you very much.

I could drop a wall of text but instead I'm going to make it short, sorry for the lack of detail:

The experience was lackluster. I guess I have the wrong mindset (I had the same experience in the past with Possessed Kenshi, though he was useless until I saw @Pig Of The Hut playing). I will try to find some gunslinger videos and see if I can learn anything else.

A personal note, I'd say SO1 should build meter at least since it's -9 on cancel and does nothing (ridiculous).
Sos1 is retarded and needs to be buffed so that it can at least be used as a fake, be even better if you could stance cancel to more pressure but you already get that with marksman. You are pretty much committed to fire if you are in stance because sos1 is way to slow for a stance cancel. However nobody really expects you to cancel out to begin with so you can get away with it at times with enough space.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I need to get back into testing this variation in the lab. But for enders f14 into caltrops and sos 4 (? The low shots) is decent if they have no fast advancing wake up option.

Edit f24**

LucaTheRipper

RULES OF NATURE!
Ender for Gunslinger? Well, maybe slide or f24, 21122 to sand grenade will gave you some advantage, also throw caltrops too lol

Last edited:

Alvhe Feleo

21122 on block: command grab
15.75% + 4 meter ticks.
f24 on block: SO3 or SO4.
If SO3 or SO4 hits it's 12% and 2 ticks for both enders.
Else:
SO3 is 10.15% and 7 ticks.
SO4 is 5.26% and 4 ticks + backdash.

So far these are the most variation-related enders I've managed to find, but caltrops still look like the go-to option when the opponent isn't standing.

EDIT:
I just found out that 21122 can be canceled after the 4th and 5th hit depending on timing. This opens up my fan of choices because after the 4th hit the enemy drops at sweed distance and after the 5th hit they go almost full screen away.

Last edited:

Redux

Ex Phase
EDIT:
I just found out that 21122 can be canceled after the 4th and 5th hit depending on timing. This opens up my fan of choices because after the 4th hit the enemy drops at sweed distance and after the 5th hit they go almost full screen away.
Yup. If you watch Gunshow's set against Pig he regularly did far caltrops after the fifth hit of 21122. Instead of what he was doing with the rifle you can do sos4 to force your opponent to block+stay on the caltrops in some matchups.

Alvhe Feleo

This is ridiculous, nobody plays this variation out there... I've found only 1 video where a gunslinger gets wiped by a grandmaster SZ but seeing that guy get mauled to death by ice klones didn't help.

I really like the hat and focusing on using revolvers, but unless this variation gets a super-duper buff I'm not going to play it any more.

I have to ask once more, what is this variation supposed to do? Marksman is for zoning and outlaw is for additional pressure, but I don't know what am I supposed to do with gunslinger.

RizRaz

Errons with combos - always hot.
Marksman is for counter-zoning and making certain things safe/creating pressure with gun cancels, Outlaw is pure rushdown, Gunslinger is meant to be half-zoning, half spacing, but is a really lackluster variation with poor specials that ultimately can't do anything special and there's simply no reason to play it.

Unfortunately, Gunslinger Erron can join the pile of useless variations next to Ethereal Mileena and Unbreakable SubZ. The hat just isn't worth the hassle.