What's new

Question What are some fundamental skills I should work on before anything else?

SiniC

Noob
I just recently got into MK9 and I'm getting crushed by people online. However, I'm taking it all in stride.

but right now it seems that I really don't have any focus in my practice. I do not know what the fundamental skills I should work on before I start getting into the real technical aspects and nuances of the game.

Example, you may be able to micro units like a pro in Starcraft, but it won't mean anything if your fundamental skills like macro are shit.

So what should I work on as a fundamental skill? Blocking? Combos? Reaction?

I main Smoke and Raiden at the moment if it makes a difference.

NKZero

Noob
This is how I do it personally with character X (whoever it may be).

1) Go to training mode
2) Test out all normals and get familiar with them (range, cancelling into specials etc.) NB: use frame data as well to see what's safe etc
3) Test out specials and get familiar with them (same steps as above really)
4) Practice combos
5) Go to arcade ladder for and practice blocking stuff the CPU do and learn to punish with your character. Also a good chance to practice combos, set-ups and general play in a 'proper' environment

Rinse and repeat and eventually play against other players whether its offline or online. Until you play someone you can't effectively work on things like anti-air, footsies etc. CPU isn't reliable enough really as they fall into patterns.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
If you're on PSN add me, ghostface777o0o. I main Smoke so I can help you through some stuff. As I beginner, play people at your skill level or slightly above. Playing lobby randoms with thousands of wins who will destroy you will not help you improve. Playing other humans (online or offline) is essential. Playing the AI can damage your gameplay over a long period of time and give you a handfull of bad habits and a false sense of confidence.

KILLA_xGHOST

SiniC

Noob
If you're on PSN add me, ghostface777o0o. I main Smoke so I can help you through some stuff. As I beginner, play people at your skill level or slightly above. Playing lobby randoms with thousands of wins who will destroy you will not help you improve. Playing other humans (online or offline) is essential. Playing the AI can damage your gameplay over a long period of time and give you a handfull of bad habits and a false sense of confidence.

KILLA_xGHOST
Thank you, unfortunately I play on Xbox.

Hopefully I find someone that plays on Xbox as well that could help me out!

gunterxc

WOOLAY
Thank you, unfortunately I play on Xbox.

Hopefully I find someone that plays on Xbox as well that could help me out!
I'm on xbox, you're free to add me. Although I just started playing again so it's like I only have maybe a weeks worth of experience.

One of the single best advices I've heard, was by Chris G. It may apply here.

Execution.

Doesn't matter how much your practice, but if you're dropping your combos going into a match than what ever you learned is kinda pointless!

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Smoke doesn't require fundamentals. :p

NKZero did a good job explaining it but I'd like to add it s a good idea to get in the habit of anti-airs and counter poking , for the former I practice on the AI until I'm comfortable, the second one, I just do with people whenever I can.

Lastly, you need good people to play with and learn from. Practice gets you a decent start but you won't learn anything without experience.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
One of the most helpful things to work on in this game is defense. Every character in this game has some 'dirt', and until you learn to protect yourself from it, it's hard to fight how you want to fight. So one of the biggest factors in getting comfortable with the game is learning each character's toolset, so you know what to expect.

Sometimes this means taking characters that beat you into practice mode for a bit to explore.. Watching videos of good players also helps.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Know your spacing, that's the most important thing, you can't lose if they can't hit you, it also makes it easier to recognise opponents strings if you make them whiff all day.

This is the single most important thing in MK9. Execution isn't that hard, if you think it is, it will come in time. The ability to anti air comes with proper spacing too.

Tong Lung

What is a breaker?
At first I'd say you have to learn your combos and make sure you can nail them. After that I'd start working on your pokes, pressure, and finding out what moves are safe and so on. Other than that I think that a lot of matchup experience is needed, as well as frame data knowledge. Learning the frame data is what changed my playstyle the most, and I think it should be one of your top priorities once you get a proper feel for the game.

Reactions: RYX
Get familiar with Normals first.
Look for normals that advance, pay attention to the range and spacing, if the normal can be canceled, etc.

Next get acquainted with Special moves.
Learn the properties of your specials. For example, can it be ducked, can I use it offensively or defensively, is it safe on block, etc.

Next is Combos.
After you get familiar with normals and specials you combine them to make combos. I suggest you learn 2 BnB's and 1 corner combo.

Now you need Setups.
If you don't have any setups you won't be landing any combos against a good player.

Last but not least is Defense.
Learn the hit levels. High, Mid(overhead), Special Mid, Low, Throw, and Unblockable.

Once you master these simple elements you will start to develop a footsie game, but that's another lesson young grasshopper. SiniC

What exactly are you having a problem with? Like any game, learn your combos and the importance of your normals. From there you need to learn patience and whiff punishment since you are playing Smoke (applies to Raiden as well).

Advanced stuff you need to know after that is frame data, poke/counter poking, spacing.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Know your spacing, that's the most important thing, you can't lose if they can't hit you, it also makes it easier to recognise opponents strings if you make them whiff all day.

This is the single most important thing in MK9. Execution isn't that hard, if you think it is, it will come in time. The ability to anti air comes with proper spacing too.
F0xy is my type of player