What's new

Weird issue with directional inputs and run activating.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
We all know dashing then pressing block initiates a run. For some reason you can dash, hold forward and then press block and it runs with know issue. For some reason if you dash and then hold back and press block it just finishes the dash animation.

What this does is is makes it harder to cancel a run in the earliest frames into any normals that require a back input. For example, you have to piano block into back + 1 as opposed to just holding forward and pianoing block into 1. This mostly affects things like FBC pressure and run punishes by making it harder to get the move out on the earliest frames. I mostly notice this due to Scorpions fastest mid hitting requiring a back input and it's hard for me to consistently do fast enough to be a true frame trap.

Is there a reason for this to happen? Is it meant to prevent something else? It's just an annoyance to me and I don't know why we would have that input restriction.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Run is ff+block. Why would you expect run to come out if you pressed back first? It would be nice if they increased the run buffer though. It would be nice to just dial up a run and have it come out on frame 1.

Scoot Magee

Run is ff+block. Why would you expect run to come out if you pressed back first? It would be nice if they increased the run buffer though. It would be nice to just dial up a run and have it come out on frame 1.
Why would it matter if I pressed back if the dash was already activated? You can press any other direction and it doesn't matter.

When it comes to fbc pressure and run cancel punishes this matters imo. If I input ff I initiate a dash. Why can't I hold back during the dash and piano block to 1 in order to get a b1 at the earliest point in a run? You can do it with inputs that require forward.

Cerebru

Noob
Kinda like a special move? Interesting

Scoot Magee

Even pressing b+block during the dash animation will prevent run from activating. It leaves a lot of room for error when trying to cancel run into moves that require back inputs quickly.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Kinda like a special move? Interesting
Kind of, yeah. Like, just give us a bigger window to input run after you launch somebody with a special, but before you actually recover from that special. I don't think it would help as much with fireball type run cancels... maybe it would though?

Matix218

Get over here!
I guess you want to try to make it muscle memory to input it as forward, then forward and block at the same time and make sure you have released block before inputting b1 (or whatever your next normal with a back input is). I'm sure if you play on sick this is easier but on a ps4 pad (due to triggers) it is probably very tough. I am not very good at run cancelling with tight timing to begin with, it definitely takes practice even when canceling into an input that does not require a back directional input. The only rc character I use is hellfire scorpion and I have a hard enough time just doing b3, fbrc, 214 and doing it quick enough for it to combo, so basically I have sucky execution when it comes to fast cancels with lots of inputs in a small window of time lol

podizzler3000

http://streamable.com/ti5z
I guess you want to try to make it muscle memory to input it as forward, then forward and block at the same time and make sure you have released block before inputting b1 (or whatever your next normal with a back input is). I'm sure if you play on sick this is easier but on a ps4 pad (due to triggers) it is probably very tough. I am not very good at run cancelling with tight timing to begin with, it definitely takes practice even when canceling into an input that does not require a back directional input. The only rc character I use is hellfire scorpion and I have a hard enough time just doing b3, fbrc, 214 and doing it quick enough for it to combo, so basically I have sucky execution when it comes to fast cancels with lots of inputs in a small window of time lol
youve got that d4 d4 d4 d4 mixup down tho

Cerebru

Noob
Kind of, yeah. Like, just give us a bigger window to input run after you launch somebody with a special, but before you actually recover from that special. I don't think it would help as much with fireball type run cancels... maybe it would though?
I mean it would add a lot of depth to play.