What's new

Question - Kung Jin Wanting to take Jin To the dojo

Varion

Noob
I've been looking and messing around in there... How do I know which ones are the ones to have down? I see tons of different ones.

I've been looking and messing around in there... How do I know which ones are the ones to have down? I see tons of different ones.
111, xx mbBoswing, nj 2, jiDivekick, b2 1, bo swing. 40% mid screen
super easy combo

when you dont have meter for mbBoswing just use bo swat instead and do the same combo.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Bojutsu...

Learn all his mix ups for combos....I don't like his run combos ATM because they only do what...2-3% more and I can execute the others 100%?

Also I think doing a jump in kick is safer than doing a njp and I THINK it gives you 1% more. Also if you do an overhead the range can be way off, so i just stick to a jump in dive kick.

For instance learn this:

low string: b14, bf4, jik, dive kick, b21, db3. AND b14 ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3.
overhead: f24, bf4, ji dive kick, b21, db3. AND f24, ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3. IF YOU DO AN OVERHEAD NOT CLOSE OR MAX RANGE YOU **MUST** USE A FLYING KICK AFTER. I haven't tried running in.
dive kick f24, db4.
34 bf4 jik, dive kick, b21, db3. AND 34 ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3.
b214, bf4, jik, dive kick, b21, db3. AND b214 ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3.
111, bf4, jik, dive kick, b21, db3. AND 111 ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3.

Those are my main's I learn 100% I don't bother with the run combos since they barely do extra damage.

Before or after, familiarize yourself with the spacing of his normals and also you MUST work on HIT CONFIRMING your strings. An easy one is 34, if it hits do bf4, if the 34 is blocked than if the data is correct you are at neutral. etc.

All of these combos are SUPER easy....then work on your corner game. There are higher % combos though.

This is all in the thread you know of already, but maybe this is more direct.

Varion

Noob
Bojutsu...

Learn all his mix ups for combos....I don't like his run combos ATM because they only do what...2-3% more and I can execute the others 100%?

Also I think doing a jump in kick is safer than doing a njp and I THINK it gives you 1% more. Also if you do an overhead the range can be way off, so i just stick to a jump in dive kick.

For instance learn this:

low string: b14, bf4, jik, dive kick, b21, db3. AND b14 ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3.
overhead: f24, bf4, ji dive kick, b21, db3. AND f24, ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3. IF YOU DO AN OVERHEAD NOT CLOSE OR MAX RANGE YOU **MUST** USE A FLYING KICK AFTER. I haven't tried running in.
dive kick f24, db4.
34 bf4 jik, dive kick, b21, db3. AND 34 ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3.
b214, bf4, jik, dive kick, b21, db3. AND b214 ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3.
111, bf4, jik, dive kick, b21, db3. AND 111 ex db3, jik, dive kick, b21, db3.

Those are my main's I learn 100% I don't bother with the run combos since they barely do extra damage.

Before or after, familiarize yourself with the spacing of his normals and also you MUST work on HIT CONFIRMING your strings. An easy one is 34, if it hits do bf4, if the 34 is blocked than if the data is correct you are at neutral. etc.

All of these combos are SUPER easy....then work on your corner game. There are higher % combos though.

This is all in the thread you know of already, but maybe this is more direct.

Really appreciate this!!! Totally agree with the runs in kombos.

What corner kombos should I move onto after these?

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Really appreciate this!!! Totally agree with the runs in kombos.

What corner kombos should I move onto after these?
this is directly from the living guide thread...

"(starter)~Bo Swat, nj2, ji~divekick, 4~Bo Swing = 34-37% (36-38% with ji2)
(starter)~Bo Swat, nj divekick, 343~bo swing = 35-38% (37-39% with ji2)
(starter)~Bo Swat, nj2, bo swat, ji4~divekick, 4~bo swing = 35-38%(37-39% with ji2)
(starter)~bo swat, 4~bo swat, nj2, ji4~divekick, 3~bo swing = 38-41% (39-42% with ji2)"

As I stated in my first post I think jump in kick is 100x easier than a neutral jump punch. Since this is in the corner and you do the OVERHEAD starter, do a jump in kick then a dive kick since you won't have a spacing problem.

Also it helps a ton just to learn some basic knock down strings in the corner that mix things up to keep them on their toes. ie F3.

Once you know these things everything will still be different against every character because if they have meter and armor a wakeup etc...

Varion

Noob
Why would anyone do combos that weren't the most damaging? I guess I don't understand. Can you explain why? The mixup comes from the starters, so why wouldn't you do the 38-41% combo everytime you open them up?

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Why would anyone do combos that weren't the most damaging? I guess I don't understand. Can you explain why? The mixup comes from the starters, so why wouldn't you do the 38-41% combo everytime you open them up?
IF you can open up on them. Blocking a string isn't rocket science. His strings aren't guaranteed....he has multiple strings that work as mix ups, but knock the opponent down. Getting that knock down and applying pressure is very important which CAN lead to a max % combo. When you play vs advance players doing a combo string they will most likely recognize it, this is why you need to play the knock down game and since MKX doesn't guarantee wakeups you have advantage as long as they don't have meter.

So it's more about chipping little by little in order to confuse your opponent so it's EASY to land a big % combo. If you play with noobs aka most people right now at this state of the game, sure it's easy to land everything.

Which leads to knowing which strings are safe, how much disadvantage/advantage a string leads you on block, should you dash back vs "x" etc...

I don't know the data off the top of my head, I only know 34 is neutral on block. Say every chance you get you do 111 which could lead to a max 41% using 1 bar *by the combos I use* but if they block that they have +12 frames *idk the real amount* which will leave you in a constant defensive state eating chip damage or a full combo.

So you need to play mind games in order to make them block a certain way in fear or x in order to use y.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Varion

Noob
IF you can open up on them. Blocking a string isn't rocket science. His strings aren't guaranteed....he has multiple strings that work as mix ups, but knock the opponent down. Getting that knock down and applying pressure is very important which CAN lead to a max % combo. When you play vs advance players doing a combo string they will most likely recognize it, this is why you need to play the knock down game and since MKX doesn't guarantee wakeups you have advantage as long as they don't have meter.

So it's more about chipping little by little in order to confuse your opponent so it's EASY to land a big % combo. If you play with noobs aka most people right now at this state of the game, sure it's easy to land everything.
I guess this is the type of thing I need to really learn before going further. So how exactly do you mix up into opening people up without using strings? A Normal, into a string? Then combo it out?

As far as the knockdown game goes you're saying advanced players knock someone down then go into a combo while they're down? So it's best to know multiple combos to mix it up so people can't block your combo/string while standing?

Is that why knowing multiple 30% combos is important?

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
I guess this is the type of thing I need to really learn before going further. So how exactly do you mix up into opening people up without using strings? A Normal, into a string? Then combo it out?

As far as the knockdown game goes you're saying advanced players knock someone down then go into a combo while they're down? So it's best to know multiple combos to mix it up so people can't block your combo/string while standing?

Is that why knowing multiple 30% combos is important?
FYI I edited my post a little.

I'm not the best player, I'm just trying to help you out. And Yes that's why knowing multiple 30% combos is important.

Ok say your opponent is only blocking low BECAUSE you're ONLY doing low starters. How does that help you? Well you can do overheads, you can do a overhead in to low aka F2d1? or it's F2U1...which will knock them down, you will be in their face, don't do a combo unless they have ZERO meter. If you start a combo that is a mix up say low high high, they will just lay on the ground and watch you whiff it. This is where the mind games of fighting games comes in to play...should i ex wake up, should i lay here, should i get up and block etc...

If you mix up strings it leaves the opponents guessing which can LEAD to taking more of a chance on string A to do a full combo.

Varion

Noob
FYI I edited my post a little.

I'm not the best player, I'm just trying to help you out. And Yes that's why knowing multiple 30% combos is important.

Ok say your opponent is only blocking low BECAUSE you're ONLY doing low starters. How does that help you? Well you can do overheads, you can do a overhead in to low aka F2d1? or it's F2U1...which will knock them down, you will be in their face, don't do a combo unless they have ZERO meter. If you start a combo that is a mix up say low high high, they will just lay on the ground and watch you whiff it. This is where the mind games of fighting games comes in to play...should i ex wake up, should i lay here, should i get up and block etc...

If you mix up strings it leaves the opponents guessing which can LEAD to taking more of a chance on string A to do a full combo.
Do you learn this type of thing from playing matches a lot? Seems like a lot to understand. Ever since landing a combo it's been great though.

Varion

Noob
Also, I'm not 100% sure wha hit confirming is. Is that just making sure your strings fully hit before canceling into specials?

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Also, I'm not 100% sure wha hit confirming is. Is that just making sure your strings fully hit before canceling into specials?
Yes, make sure your combo hits before canceling in to the special move because if you do the special and it's block than you are at massive disadvantage.

Yes it takes a lot of practice and character match up to learn when to do what vs who etc...

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
not only practice, but adapting on the fly is very important because not everyone plays the same which is why not everyone goes for X combo every single time.

Varion

Noob
not only practice, but adapting on the fly is very important because not everyone plays the same which is why not everyone goes for X combo every single time.
Makes sense.

Any tips on getting better at blocking/knowing how to punish? My block game is weak

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Makes sense.

Any tips on getting better at blocking/knowing how to punish? My block game is weak
Yea, go start this same exact thread in every single character section and than input what they tell you in to the ai in practice mode, and block. wha la!

Varion

Noob
Yea, go start this same exact thread in every single character section and than input what they tell you in to the ai in practice mode, and block. wha la!
Haha! I guess my blocking will just have to get better through playing.
Punishing is waiting for them to do a special move then using your punish string & taking it to a full combo right?

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Haha! I guess my blocking will just have to get better through playing.
Punishing is waiting for them to do a special move then using your punish string & taking it to a full combo right?

Yes and no. This requires you to learn frame data...if they do a string and it's unsafe you can either full punish it if it's really negative, or you have to play the 50/50 game which is where the mind games come in to play. 50/50 being overhead or low. Even if they don't do a special their string could leave them negative, neutral, and some may even have positive.

I'm pulling the plug / burning the bridge here.

Varion

Noob

Yes and no. This requires you to learn frame data...if they do a string and it's unsafe you can either full punish it if it's really negative, or you have to play the 50/50 game which is where the mind games come in to play. 50/50 being overhead or low. Even if they don't do a special their string could leave them negative, neutral, and some may even have positive.

I'm pulling the plug / burning the bridge here.
Thanks a lot for your help!

You can check out my vid showing some easy combos

Combo 1(36%): 111 bf4 nj2 ji,d4 34 db3

Combo 2(42%): 221 Edb3 nj2 ji,d4 34 db3

Combo 3(42%): 221 Edb3 ba bf4 nj d4 34 db3

Combo 4(41%): 221 Edb3 fb db3

Combo 5(38%): 221 Edb3 b3 db3

Combo 6(37%): 221 Edb3 f4 bf3

Combo 7(50%): 4 bf4 run 34 X-Ray

Combo 8 (41%): 221 db4 nj2 ji,d4 34 db3