What's new

Virtual Fighter 5 Final Showdown

holy shit I cannot wait for this!

as for how it plays, it plays pretty unique. There are usually more moves than you know what to do with, because the counters to counters to counters to counters are partially built into EVERYONES moveset.

Think Sonya Blade's military stance, and multiply that by a million. Mixups galore.

OMG VF was the only fighter that I played in the arcades(kinda due to the fact it as the only fighting game in the arcade) anyways......... Lau Chan for Life!!
p.s for people who haven't played VF before it is very complicated sometimes.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Virtua Fighter is the deepest and hardest fighter to learn and play. Mastering takes years.
It is definitely not for everyone because the level of frustration is similar to Dark Souls to RPGs.

But the satisfaction of investing so much time into one character and doing well with him, is probably the best in any fighter.
Highly recommend to anyone looking for a very fluid and challenging fighting system with depth that is unparalled.

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
I look forward to giving it a go, I had very limited experiences with it back in the day. Never owned any of them and only have memories of getting my ass handed to me because I hadn't a clue what I was doing. =P I will definitely be acquiring this.

Theme

Noob
I think I had VF4 or VF3. I loved using Bryant (The guy). The drunk, the old pony tail man (he has white hair now) and the ninja. Lol this game brings back memories. I don think Im going to be getting it, but I may rent it.

cyke_out

Noob
Very extremely basic breakdown of the game.

It's a 3D game, similiar to tekken, uses side step and other evasive properties, no infinite stages, they either have walls, or endges where a ring out means losing the round, or mid sized walls where a launcher can ring you out.

it uses a 3 button control scheme

guard, punch, kick.

all moves are done using any combination of those 3 buttons plus directional input, for example back, forward punch +kick for a akira's palm strike, throws are done by pressing guard and punch together and so on.

Uses the standard high, mid, low hit level like all other 3d fighters and MK.

combo system uses ground chains, stuns, juggles, OTG's, air bounces....

I can not wait for this!

Virtua Fighter is the deepest and hardest fighter to learn and play. Mastering takes years.
It is definitely not for everyone because the level of frustration is similar to Dark Souls to RPGs.

But the satisfaction of investing so much time into one character and doing well with him, is probably the best in any fighter.
Highly recommend to anyone looking for a very fluid and challenging fighting system with depth that is unparalled.
I'm not sure this is the best way to present the game. The game on a basic level is basic. The game on a mid level is somewhat more difficult...etc. The difficulty increase is completely natural.

everything is there when you are ready for something more, if you've been using a string and find you need more options to end it or something to follow up with, those follow ups and mixups are there waiting for you.
Its only "Demon Souls" frustrating if you try to take on everything at once, or play people way better than you. People are going to have to mash and mess around for a bit.

I've never learned how to play virtua fighter, but damn. VF5 is absolutely beautiful. The stages look gorgeous in HD. Is this a hard game to learn? I owned 3 and 4, but never put in enough time to get anywhere. With online I could probably put in some work.

So this will be budget? Cause it's going to be a d/l I believe.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Mashing and messing around is the last thing a new player wants to do, that is if your looking to be good at the game or be competitive. Out of every fighting game out their, this is only game that mashing buttons will get you NOWHERE....literally.

But if the training/tutorial is anything like VF Evo, then newcomers will be eased into the fighting system better than any other fighting game, which in turn may make it easier to pick up than others.

On a basic level, every game is basic lol. But the disparity between someone who is decent and good and pro and what not, is much larger than any other fighting game, IMO of course :)

you don't need to say mashing isn't viable thats a given, I'm saying theres no use in filling their heads with mechanics they won't be able to use without familiarity with their character first. That comes most naturally by messing around. Then by looking the the moves...then by looking at setups etc

and every game may be basic on a basic level but are they increasing with difficulty in a NATURAL way along with actual player skill? Thats absolutely not the case for most other fighters.

theres no reason for anybody to stress out about the deeper parts of VF if they can't even have fun playing with a few strings first. If they are willing to progress theres ALWAYS headroom. I'd rather call it headroom than complexity because thats what it is. The complexity only arrives from mastering the simple stuff first so then the next step doesn't look so arbitrary, which it does, if you look at guard canceling before you even know which moves hit low.

Its like a guitar, you're not going to be doing sweeping arppegio solos until you can have fun learning and playing the basics. If you can advance to more complex songs the overhead is there, and the progression will take you as far as you want to go.

Justice

Noob
In the original VF5 release on ps3, I got Sarah all of her items and into some of those intermediate tournaments in the Arcades with only one combo. Chracter knowledge is key for top-teir but not necessary to enjoy the game. It's gorgeous, fluid and fun. Online will definitely set the boys from the bitches...

cyke_out

Noob
This game is pretty basic at the starting stages, you can pick up a character, learn a few strings, learn a few juggles and combo's and have fun with other starting players.

As you learn more, and starting picking up advanced evading techniques, or ETEG's, then you'll start seeing the bigger picture, and also remember that Final showdown has been made much more simplier compared to previous VF5 builds, particularly throw escape.

Previously, to break a throw, you would need to input the last directional command of the attackers throw and hit p+g. so if you were being attacked with a throw with the full command of back, forward p+g, to escape it you would use forward p+g. however, you can't tell what throw the opponent is doing, so it's a guess, but unlike MK or SC, you can input up to 3 different throw escaped within the window to break the throw, so you input back p+g and forward p+g and down p+g, and if the opponent used a throw that ending in any of those inputs, you'd break free.

in FS, that all changed, you now can only input one single throw escape during the breaking window, making it much simplier and making throws more powerful. So that laerning hurdle was removed, and I'm not sure if it's for the better, as I happened to like the more complex engine behind throws.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
Man, I cannot wait for this game! Just picked up a copy of vf5 on my ps3 for five bucks just to get a feel for it again. The reason I gave it up in the first place is because there's no online lmao!

VF always reminded me of DOA, but done right. It has a rock-paper-scissors mindset at its core, but its advanced, requires much practice and thought, and the throw system isn't shit.

I hope VF:FS has the extensive training options that VF4:EVO on ps2 did, i was quite disappointed that VF5 did not include specific character tutorials.

cyke_out

Noob
I think you mean, DOA reminds you of VF but done wrong. since VF was before DOA.

And good call on picking up VF5 on PS3, I had it for 360, but when my 360 RROD I switched to a ps3 and didn't pick up VF5. I might have to do that while I wait for FS.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
I think you mean, DOA reminds you of VF but done wrong. since VF was before DOA.

And good call on picking up VF5 on PS3, I had it for 360, but when my 360 RROD I switched to a ps3 and didn't pick up VF5. I might have to do that while I wait for FS.
You are correct, how could I forget? lol

I joined the ps3 army because the RROD forced me to. I wish i had this game on xbox though because there is still an online community, not to mention updated items and gameplay.