What's new

Tech Using Wing Evade

Invincibeast

Stay Free
So I've been messing around with Hawkgirl in the lab and in Battle mode and I came across her Wing Evade move. It is AMAZING. Not only can you make most of her strings safe on block, you can also punish most characters for trying to punish you for making it safe!
Part 1 Above shows that canceling out of strings with Wing Evade puts distance between you and your opponent. This means you're out of range from normals and close range specials.
And yes...I do know Killer Frost isn't blocking in practice mode...God knows why, I have her on all time block and once I hit "Record" she just takes the hits :/

Part 2 Above show that you can avoid forward moving specials with her Wing Evade, 2 (however this only works after her 22 string. Otherwise it will hit into a small groundbounce)
Her Wing Evade 3 can immediately hit the opponent out of specials (as seen with Doomsday) if they decide to try and punish you for being safe.

Feel free to test and discuss yourselves :)

EDIT: UPDATE
Vs Grundy WE 3 will hit Grundy and avoid his armored wake up while WE 2 will not.
Vs Flash WE 3 will dodge his fastest wake up/punish (Flying Uppercut, 6f) while WE 2 is hit.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
That second discovery is great, will be hella helpful!
I do have trouble doing 22 xx wing evade though, no idea why.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
That second discovery is great, will be hella helpful!
I do have trouble doing 22 xx wing evade though, no idea why.
It comes easier with practice.
While you're practicing just make the input for Wing Evade very deliberate with your thumb. Its what I did to learn the muscle memory quicker :)

Thead

Noob
Wing Evade 2 and Wing Evade 3 seem to be safe on block too. There is no in game frame data for these moves, but in Practice Mode the AI was unable to punish either with Lexs Corp Charge (6f special).

Wing Evade 3 is also slightly faster than Wing Evade 2

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Something about wing evade I discovered. You know how WE 3 goes above crouchers? You can delay the 3 a bit so that Hawkgirl does it lower to the ground and hit crouching chars. I think she also recovers faster.

Nice discovery, I never knew WE 2 it went over Doomsday's charge moves. I have been using WE 3 a lot more as well because it's just such a good tool to get people off of you then you can chuck hammers or fly.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
Just tested vs Flash as well. Same WE 2 gets hit by flying uppercut (6f) but WE 3 dodges it and allows you to escape to the other side.

Komatose

The Prettiest
I discovered this yesterday (the actual moves you can do after the Wing Evade) and started using it and you are right. It is pretty damn awesome. And I'm not joking when I say she needs it, lol.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Hawkgirl is a very good character, vastly underrated and imo also one of the best zoners in the game. One thing people should use often is her flying ability as she's the only character in the game that can actually stay in the air a good period of time, and use her air mace(diagonal) great move and safe. mid to far screen. Her wing evades are also epic I agree....

One tactic I love doing is doing her normal toss(cancelling it into her back, forward X move) I love how it's safe on the bounce. I've yet to be punished but out of fairness online. Today later on I'll test it out offline to see if it can be punished, but her strings are also safe and while she's not a combo master, her mix ups are sick. back Y, Y, A mixed up with Back Y, A.

Also, if you're stuck up close guys USE her poke D+X is one of the fastest pokes in the entire game and safe.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
The thing about Hawkgirl is that she's a keep away/ hit and run character. She's not combo heavy so she has to be able to avoid punishes when an opportunity is blocked. A big part of her game, I feel, is getting her opponent to the corner with her two carry strings (in class right now so can't check but I believe one is 22U3). I believe she has options to lock someone down in the corner and think that is what the Hawkgirl community should be looking to find.

EDIT: The two strings are 22U3 and 32B1

KevinCow

Noob
You're better off using d2 or even WE2 for jump-ins anyway. To hit with WE1, they have to be like right in your face.

InfernoZ

Noob
WE1 is shit. No reason to use it when you have WE3 at your disposal. Not sure why they'd make a move like that safe but I'm glad Hawkgirl has it. It has a huge vertical hitbox too so it can even AA or catch players trying to neutral jump or jump back. WE2 isn't that good however, the range is very short and has startup so it's quite easy to stuff. I suppose if your opponent is expecting a WE3 and crouching to make you go over it's a nice option and it's also safe, but I rarely use it

Question:

Why would you want to avoid Doomsday shoulder charge when blocking one gets a free f+1 punish?

Can anyone test if Wing Evade works against his unblockable? Might be a more useful thing to avoid. I know you can dash to avoid it anyway so it may not even be necessary

InfernoZ

Noob
If I'm in the corner.
I'd rather get the hell out than risk something and get locked down.
There's no risk. Shoulder is unsafe and the punish is guaranteed

Because MB shoulder tackle is + on block and you REALLY don't want to be pressured by Doomsday.
Sure, but you also don't wanna let him get away with throwing out an unsafe attack. Ideally you'd want to be punishing his shoulder and giving him a reason to start blowing meter to make them safe. Decent Doomsday players wouldn't really be throwing out raw shoulder charges anyway

Invincibeast

Stay Free
There's no risk. Shoulder is unsafe and the punish is guaranteed
Play a good Doomsday and let me know how that goes.

EDIT:
ALSO. this is clearly things to do after YOU try to get in with a string, its blocked, and you use Wing Evade to get out. IF you don't do shit in the air with the WE you WILL get hit.

This isn't "Oh I'll just chill and block and then punish"
This is "Fuck, I was blocked, got out, now avoid whats coming for me"

InfernoZ

Noob
ALSO. this is clearly things to do after YOU try to get in with a string, its blocked, and you use Wing Evade to get out. IF you don't do shit in the air with the WE you WILL get hit.

This isn't "Oh I'll just chill and block and then punish"
This is "Fuck, I was blocked, got out, now avoid whats coming for me"
In the case that you are ending strings with WE then WE3 will beat all of his options anyway. He has to hold that block so there's no point risking WE2 which loses to Up Shoulder. This is unless he's using his armor trait (but you wouldn't be trying to blockstring him if he was)

btw I tested WE as a way to avoid his unblockable. It works if timed well and you can follow up with WE2 for a combo but it's usually better to forward dash since you get a 1,2,3 punish and those don't come often

Invincibeast

Stay Free
In the case that you are ending strings with WE then WE3 will beat all of his options anyway. He has to hold that block so there's no point risking WE2 which loses to Up Shoulder. This is unless he's using his armor trait (but you wouldn't be trying to blockstring him if he was)

btw I tested WE as a way to avoid his unblockable. It works if timed well and you can follow up with WE2 for a combo but it's usually better to forward dash since you get a 1,2,3 punish and those don't come often
1. Yes, WE3 does beat all of his options but becoming too predictable or repeating the same tactics can get you figured out and punished. Just because WE2 is a different option which may not always punish doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't use any option you can use. (Plus most Doomsdays I've faced so far doing this just want to hit me with the straight shoulder right away and I've dodged them all, its not as useless as you think ;) )

2. I'll have to look at this