What's new

UPDATED: Full MKX details and impressions from Toronto's Fan Expo by Casselman

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Might be a stupid question

Whats the match up on "MK9 vs Injustice" for MKX in terms of how it felt? (I love both games, so its a win/win just curious)

Casselman

Also: LockUpYourBones
Might be a stupid question

Whats the match up on "MK9 vs Injustice" for MKX in terms of how it felt? (I love both games, so its a win/win just curious)
95% MK9, 5% Injustice. Without the ability to cancel out of dashes into strings, it feels a little more like Injustice with the exchange and attempts at combo-starters. Stage interactions got stuffed more than 50% of the time I tried to use it so it's not an issue at all. The one thing I am happy about is that you are really going to have to know what you are doing up close. Getting pinned in the corner is seriously a big deal and you are most likely in big trouble.

Fluri played Raiden almost exclusively so he is the guy to consult. I will consult him and post anything here. Vindrex is the same with Subzero.

Any other questions, I will be more than happy to address if it is within my power.

Sami

Noob
Regarding the MB throw, I believe the purpose of it was to give you a standing reset. You're at + frames but the opponent is always able to block your follow up move so you have to try and mix them up instead. Seems terrible for just throwing out but as regular throws can now catch people in a juggle state it gives everyone a standing reset option for 1 bar.

That was the original info anyway - it may have changed since then.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Regarding the MB throw, I believe the purpose of it was to give you a standing reset. You're at + frames but the opponent is always able to block your follow up move so you have to try and mix them up instead. Seems terrible for just throwing out but as regular throws can now catch people in a juggle state it gives everyone a standing reset option for 1 bar.

Or as we call it, "the Sonya button" :p

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

It'll be most useful for Kotal who looks to be like Bane in that his moveset seems to be a few frames slower than most peoples' in exchange for his bigger options and higher output. Dropping a meter (which he gains pretty quickly) for a grab set-up into something like body slice -> mix-up or totem -> mix-up is solid. Also, I should probably mention that while command grabs aren't super confirmable out of a MB grab, its a very very viable option to include in your guessing game.

Commando Kano is balls deep. Ferra/Torr feels interesting.

Lackey seems to be by far the most mobile of them, the low roll doesn't hit low but its a very fast mid. A bit vulnerable unless you tag them at the end of the roll since he goes through the whole animation. Run is a safer option, but the roll is great for catching people trying to get away or sneak an interactable, and it can lead into combos. Bear hug is brutal. MB grab is great on him since he has good combo damage without meter.

Slicer (as I'll call it) gives him a huge boost for the damage he takes. If kotal gets a 1-1 trade, Ferra/Torr seems to give out a 1.5-1 trade. If you have the meter for it, you can clock in... easily in the lower to mid 60s. Doesn't have the ranged options Kotal does or the ability to heal or totem, but in exchange the output is monsterous. Good out of a MB grab since you can use that advantage to pump yourself up.

Ferra Focused (as I'll call it) gives him that ranged option and holy shit, he can't zone but she is hella fast. When she is gone you lose some options, but you aren't completely crippled it seems. He still has some (albeit slow) long reaching options. His big boot covers some big real estate. I'm looking forward to this one.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
It'll be most useful for Kotal who looks to be like Bane in that his moveset seems to be a few frames slower than most peoples' in exchange for his bigger options and higher output. Dropping a meter (which he gains pretty quickly) for a grab set-up into something like body slice -> mix-up or totem -> mix-up is solid. Also, I should probably mention that while command grabs aren't super confirmable out of a MB grab, its a very very viable option to include in your guessing game.

Lackey seems to be by far the most mobile of them, the low roll doesn't hit low but its a very fast mid. A bit vulnerable unless you tag them at the end of the roll since he goes through the whole animation. Run is a safer option, but the roll is great for catching people trying to get away or sneak an interactable, and it can lead into combos. Bear hug is brutal. MB grab is great on him since he has good combo damage without meter.

Slicer (as I'll call it) gives him a huge boost for the damage he takes. If kotal gets a 1-1 trade, Ferra/Torr seems to give out a 1.5-1 trade. If you have the meter for it, you can clock in... easily in the lower to mid 60s. Doesn't have the ranged options Kotal does or the ability to heal or totem, but in exchange the output is monsterous. Good out of a MB grab since you can use that advantage to pump yourself up.

Ferra Focused (as I'll call it) gives him that ranged option and holy shit, he can't zone but she is hella fast. When she is gone you lose some options, but you aren't completely crippled it seems. He still has some (albeit slow) long reaching options. His big boot covers some big real estate. I'm looking forward to this one.
look forward to reading about the tech you come up with for whomever you decide to play.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
look forward to reading about the tech you come up with for whomever you decide to play.
I'll play whoever is lowest tier overall and will probably be buffed.
I don't think the game could handle me developing a character who isn't shit to start with.

All that in perspective, while Kotal seems brutal enough for my liking (praise the sun), I really REALLY like the feel of Ferra/Torr, especially the slicer style.
Commando Kano will be amazing when someone works out the timings on his parries, but I'm not that guy.

PuLs4r

Noob

so.... how long did you play the game for ??????

PuLs4r

Noob
Not long enough :/ I didn't have a chance to figure what the totems did. I played mainly Ferra/Torr and Sun god. That being said, I'm feeling Ferra/Torr.

I'll likely main them and sub Kotal.
kotal khan has my interest...not much on him tho do you know what his obsidian totem does ?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
kotal khan has my interest...not much on him tho do you know what his obsidian totem does ?
No, sadly not.
My games basically went

Lackey
Slicer
Ferra
Slicer
Sun god

and I was going to go onto the other ones but I didn't feel like waiting so long.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I'm that guy. I will break Commando Kano down to the frame, develop a playstyle where I force the opponent to come to me then parry the non-Australian shit out of them.
Works well until you realize people like Torr exist in this game. I had a Kano try to parry me once I got in close. He got me the first 2 times with the high parry, and then I just started grabbing his shit for 23%. And then I played slicer, found out you could stack cuts in that build of the game, and nailed a 52% command grab after dropping about 25% of my health.

The jizz.

Anyways from what I saw, his parries are actually really REALLY good. They have good active frames, and they aren't near as bad on whiff as I thought they would be.

Especially in a game where the faster moves aren't extremely fast as of yet, and a lot of characters' high/low game is still being worked out, his parry is a godsend. Not perfect, but a good pair of eyes should be able to slink in some good stuff. Wrecks the everloving shit out of lackey mode.