What's new

Unsolved Mysteries of MKX: Fake Patch Changes

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Now let's start with the fact that every Kano player from Coach Steve himself to Unknown User X noticed there was a Houdini act performed with EX Buff within that time span. Huge coincidence that we "all" noticed it then a day later there were no issues? Damage control on the low? Dunno what to tell you about that. If I'm not high level enough for you ask higher level KANO players who saw it too. Yes? No? Bad idea? This is a fact, not me or Derp creating it illusions. Make sure you say every Kano player on TYM is wrong next time, and though while it's possible, I doubt all of us across different countries noticed the same thing incorrectly at the same time.
That situation doesn't seem too dissimiliar from the issue with Jax in the last (major) patch.

After hotfixing the run mechanic, Jax was still largely unable to perform his midscreen BnB's off of any starter. But then, hours after the initial hotfix, at around 6:30 PM EST, a second hotfix went live specifically for Jax, making his BnB more consistent than ever. This was, ultimately, a good thing. I was happy.

So if I'm reading you correctly, NRS took time out of their day to specifically fix Kano, and you are mad that they didn't announce it, because you assume that they are "covering up" the fact that they responded steadfastly to fix an issue with a character that arose after the patch? Please tell me I'm misreading something. It's possible. If so, my bad.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
What a stupid little thread.

The armor on EX buff may not have literally disappeared as many of us thought, but what seems to have happened was given the faster startup and resolving of the move itself, the aor was appearing so briefly that it was ESSENTIALLY gone. It may have been lurking for a frame somewhere, but NONE of the players testing it were able to reliably use EX Buff to armor through moves any more.

You're taking the letter of our issue and not the spirit buddy. Sure, me saying 'ex Buff no longer has armor' after trying it out myself for 20mimutes or so and being unable to armor through shit, turned out not to be entirely correct. The correct was to say it would have been 'ex buff has either intermittent armor or the window had been reduced to such a small one that it's effectively useless'

But ya know what? Either one is correct. Ex buff wasn't useable to armor through anything. You are arguing semantics to put a community on blast for a legit issue. If an entire community tested an issue and came to the same conclusion.. It's curious, that after the fact, YOU by yourself, have come to a separate conclusion.

Not to mention your extensive testing is interesting, given the entire community found the armor to be absent entirely or at the very least, unuseable in its current form. Then it was later BUFFED.

You do realize it's the height of hippocritical bullshit to put people on blast for spreading misinformation, only to be spreading it yourself?

But your right, you, alone and singular, are far better equipped to tell the entire Kano community how something was or wasn't working several days and days after the initial patch. I guess you rolled back to previous versions to test this? Or did you just take Paulo saying the armor was never gone to heart and assume he was correct? Because given the vomit of ignorance and lies that NRS spews fourth, I hardly think anything he says should be taken as fact when faced vs extensive testing by a number of people. Netcode springs to mind.

Sorry. I appreciate the effort at humor but the level hippocracy is so high I had to air out my browser to purge the stink of your bullshit.
Joke thread is joke thread, bruh. Even if the dude is wrong, I don't think this thread was ever intended to be taken seriously, but instead was using humor to convey a relatively minor issue he percieved in the community, which he felt was justified and worth typing I suppose because a little misinformation CAN go a long way.

Honestly, being called out for incorrectly reporting percieved changes in a game where stealth nerfs ARE a thing, is really not that big of a deal. All of us are wrong sonetimes, and sometimes someone is wrong for calling somebody wrong who was wrong for the wrong reasons happens as well.

Everybody just needs to take a deep breath and chill, alright. Everything is going to be OK, except the way this game functions online.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Going for a TYM record triple post, because I'm too damn lazy to edit:

I think that a lot of unintentional changes came out after the 9/1 patch due to the buffing of system mechanics that occured. Not only the Option Select issues we are all aware of, but there have likely been several unintentional changes as a result of the multiple hitbox fixes NRS performed in the patch(es) and hotfixes. I think that a lot of these issues can be chalked up to that, and some are so minor or obscure that very few, if any, people know about them.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That situation doesn't seem too dissimiliar from the issue with Jax in the last (major) patch.

After hotfixing the run mechanic, Jax was still largely unable to perform his midscreen BnB's off of any starter. But then, hours after the initial hotfix, at around 6:30 PM EST, a second hotfix went live specifically for Jax, making his BnB more consistent than ever. This was, ultimately, a good thing. I was happy.

So if I'm reading you correctly, NRS took time out of their day to specifically fix Kano, and you are mad that they didn't announce it, because you assume that they are "covering up" the fact that they responded steadfastly to fix an issue with a character that arose after the patch? Please tell me I'm misreading something. It's possible. If so, my bad.
You're pretty dead on except the last part. I'm pretty much saying that's exactly what happened. All Kano main's from top to bottom say a very similar thing happened with us. They also have proven to make multiple, continuous changes without telling us. It clearly happened. It would be impossible for the entire community who don't know each other across the globe to notice one thing, and then a day later report another. The only thing that I would say something about is fools like the OP saying nothing happened when obviously it did for an entire community to mention the exact same thing.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Joke thread is joke thread, bruh. Even if the dude is wrong, I don't think this thread was ever intended to be taken seriously, but instead was using humor to convey a relatively minor issue he percieved in the community, which he felt was justified and worth typing I suppose because a little misinformation CAN go a long way.
What a wonderful option select.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I like the idea of the unsolved mysteries threads, but dude the Ex Buff changes were and still are a problem(and not in a good sense).

If anything I wanna do an unsolved mystery thread just for that on who asked Ex Buff to be changed. With the way the whole situation has transpired the Kano players are definitely not at fault.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
You're pretty dead on except the last part. I'm pretty much saying that's exactly what happened. All Kano main's from top to bottom say a very similar thing happened with us. They also have proven to make multiple, continuous changes without telling us. It clearly happened. It would be impossible for the entire community who don't know each other across the globe to notice one thing, and then a day later report another. The only thing that I would say something about is fools like the OP saying nothing happened when obviously it did for an entire community to mention the exact same thing.
Kano yea we all thought it was gone because when we checked it it seemed gone lol. By my own admission the 95% of us saying it was gone could have been wrong and fooled by the changes. Clearly there was a difference as he's trying to slyly suggest that there wasn't.

On Jacqui however he sounds like a clown who has no idea what he's talking about but attempting to blow me up. Literally must have no idea how her pressure worked prepatch to post patch but calls it a myth lol. She's still really good, but the changes to both versions of rockets are what they are and we have to make adjustments now.
wasnt the D'vorah bug after the Run Cancel was actually removed from the game during the period after the patch hit and the hotfix came?
i remmeber they made RC's impossible if you pressed Block before the buffer frames where complete, which made us input them faster than normal to actually get RC's out Plus on block, which was daman hard, then they made RC hotfix which allowed us to preforem the RC's even if block was hit duringbuffer frames , but now had to input Ff before the block instead of the hold block after first F example F,Block,F i guess people where getting away with this.

but id say there was a probelm with D'vorah and many others before the patch was completed, its just colt didnt know or was incapable of admiting fault on NRS part.

I like the idea of the unsolved mysteries threads, but dude the Ex Buff changes were and still are a problem(and not in a good sense).

If anything I wanna do an unsolved mystery thread just for that on who asked Ex Buff to be changed. With the way the whole situation has transpired the Kano players are definitely not at fault.
agreed there is definitely times where a patch cause temporary issues that later got fixed, and some can say was hush hush covered up.

Last edited:

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Why would a company try to cover up the fact that they fixed their game?

"Oh, I'm sorry guys, but an unintentional error occured as a result of the patch, which we were able to fix in less than a day. Let's not let anybody know that we are capable of fixing our mistakes in a timely manner, lest people find out that some players were mildly inconvienienced for less than a day that one time way back when. Or even worse, that we are actually somewhat competent! If people find out that problems arise and we can fix them, we will never have the respect of our fanbase!"

Honestly, it was probably their 17th hotfix the realeased AFTER the hotfix that day. They probably just figured they fixed the issue, so why bother putting it in the notes. NRS is a big company, it is possible Paulo didn't even know about it.

Seriously, I can't believe I am being put in a situation where I am so steadfastly defending NRS, the guys who brought 1996 56k style gaming to next gen consoles and broadband internet.

I suppose it's because while I acknowledge that NRS is far fron perfect (faaaar from perfect), I still think we should remain fair in our criticism of them else we just become a constant source of negative noise, soon to be relegated to the background, leading to greater breakdowns in communication between seller and consumer, which ultimately impacts the quality of the game, and worsd yet, makes message boards completely unbearable.

MadeOfMetal

Why would a company try to cover up the fact that they fixed their game?

"Oh, I'm sorry guys, but an unintentional error occured as a result of the patch, which we were able to fix in less than a day. Let's not let anybody know that we are capable of fixing our mistakes in a timely manner, lest people find out that some players were mildly inconvienienced for less than a day that one time way back when. Or even worse, that we are actually somewhat competent."

Honestly, it was probably their 17th hotfix the realeased AFTER the hotfix that day. They probably just figured they fixed the issue, so why bother putting it in the notes. NRS is a big company, it is possible Paulo didn't even know about it.

Seriously, I can't believe I am being put in a situation where I am so steadfastly defending NRS, the guys who brought 1996 56k style gaming to next gen consoles and broadband internet.

I suppose it's because while I acknowledge that NRS is far fron perfect (faaaar from perfect), I still think we should remain fair in our criticism of them else we just become a constant source of negative noise, soon to be relegated to the background, leading to greater breakdowns in communication between seller and consumer, which ultimately impacts the quality of the game, and worsd yet, makes message boards completely unbearable.

why would a company not want the public to know they make frequent mistakes on almost every patch they release? thats what you should have asked in your question.

its not that they dont want to show you they can fix it which they do, but they dont want people to think they are incompetent and incapable of doing their job;)

many stealth changes have been made, i mean most of the Frame data is incorrect a day after release of a character.
they make a patch to fix one issue and create another, only to tell you months later on another patch that there was a problem that they fixed, when almost every time they have been the cause.

and i think you took my comment the wrong way, i love MKX

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
some people are seriously bitter sweet....

why would a company not want the public to know they make frequent mistakes on almost every patch they release? thats what you should have asked in your question.

its not that they dont want to show you they can fix it which they do, but they dont want people to think they are incompetent and incapable of doing their job;)

many stealth changes have been made, i mean most of the Frame data is incorrect a day after release of a character.
they make a patch to fix one issue and create another, only to tell you months later on another patch that there was a problem that they fixed, when almost every time they have been the cause.
This is a constant issue in almost all games, however. A change to the code here leads to a change of system mechanics there, which has unintended consequences here, and somehow fucked up that way over there even though they have nothing to do with each other.

Seriously, I have yet to play a game where patches did not constantly come with unintended consequences that need fixing. I remember when some change in Destiny that had absolutely nothing to do with guns or shooting mechanics somehow nerfed the Thorn for some reason. None of it made any sense.

But between GTA V, Deztiny, and Mortal Kombat, I have learned that unintended changes are an inevitable consequence to all patching, and that it is likely that many of these issues only arrise when the patch goes live.

The true measure of a company lies in how consistently, and most importantly how quickly, they address it.

For real, you guys must not have played GTA V online. We had four, count them, four consecutive patches over a period of MONTHS that not only failed to address freezing issues, but actually made the issue worse with each successive patch. It got to a point where 90%+ of all players would have their consoles freeze within 15 minutes of joining online. And 90% is not exaggeration or hyperbole, and might actually be lowballing it.

So with that said, a technical issue that arrises with a new patch being fixed the day of the patch is quite impressive to me. It shows a degree of commitment that I wish they could apply to online.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
... Why would you quote the Jacqui post that has 100% true information?

Also worth mentioning, the patch messed with both regular and ex up rockets but only one of them is mentioned in the patch notes. So yes, not all of Jacqui's changes were listed in the notes.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Unsolved mysteries: NRS giving unnecessary buffs to characters that noone asked for

1. Bone Shaper Shinnok - There were people that asked for the restand itself to be slightly more advantageous but noone (as far as I'm aware) who asked for it to be 2in1 special cancellable, never mind being able to cancel it into a hugely buffed projectile that would leave him at +8.
2. Cutthroat Kano - Besides those who cried/cry unnecessarily about the range on B1 did anyone, anyone at all, actually ask for Cutthroat buffs or for Cutthroat to be changed the way it was?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
... Why would you quote the Jacqui post that has 100% true information?

Also worth mentioning, the patch messed with both regular and ex up rockets but only one of them is mentioned in the patch notes. So yes, not all of Jacqui's changes were listed in the notes.
the guns weren't changed at all. to be fair saltshaker admitted he was wrong about it

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
The first post has had some changes, thanks to the diligence of the viewers. You might say it's been stealth changed...

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
He's not mad or even complaining anymore, this thread was made an included a blow-up of him in it so he defended himself by explaining what happened

We can't just accuse people of being mad everytime they talk about something they were involved in personally, because it just doesn't counter any of the facts he put forth

MadeOfMetal

This is a constant issue in almost all games, however. A change to the code here leads to a change of system mechanics there, which has unintended consequences here, and somehow fucked up that way over there even though they have nothing to do with each other.

Seriously, I have yet to play a game where patches did not constantly come with unintended consequences that need fixing. I remember when some change in Destiny that had absolutely nothing to do with guns or shooting mechanics somehow nerfed the Thorn for some reason. None of it made any sense.

But between GTA V, Deztiny, and Mortal Kombat, I have learned that unintended changes are an inevitable consequence to all patching, and that it is likely that many of these issues only arrise when the patch goes live.

The true measure of a company lies in how consistently, and most importantly how quickly, they address it.

For real, you guys must not have played GTA V online. We had four, count them, four consecutive patches over a period of MONTHS that not only failed to address freezing issues, but actually made the issue worse with each successive patch. It got to a point where 90%+ of all players would have their consoles freeze within 15 minutes of joining online. And 90% is not exaggeration or hyperbole, and might actually be lowballing it.

So with that said, a technical issue that arrises with a new patch being fixed the day of the patch is quite impressive to me. It shows a degree of commitment that I wish they could apply to online.
the problem is most of these stealth bugs/issues have not been addressed, like hitboxes/incorrect frame data and Online Input Delay

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
He's not mad or even complaining anymore, this thread was made an included a blow-up of him in it so he defended himself by explaining what happened

We can't just accuse people of being mad everytime they talk about something they were involved in personally, because it just doesn't counter any of the facts he put forth
Maybe "mad" wasn't the right word. Swap out "mad" with "critical," perhaps? Or something along those lines.

the problem is most of these stealth bugs/issues have not been addressed, like hitboxes/incorrect frame data and Online Input Delay
And that finally brings this conversation around to viable issues that we have a legitimate right to be critical about. The fact that high attacks still whiff on low crouching/small hitbox characters who are crouch blocking is pathetic at this point. Last patch, they finally addressed many of the scenarios involving whiffing mids, but still somehow left the high ones untouched. Sigh...

And yes, online is a clusterfuck of gargantuan proportions, and NetherRealm's complete and total silence on the issue is unacceptable.

Perhaps this is why so many are so quick to anger and blame with NRS, regardless of what they do? Somebody fucks you over enough times, and even genuine attempts to help you from this individual will be viewed in an overly critical, suspicious and untrusting lens.

I think it is important not to lose sight over what is and is not NetherRealm's fault. Whiffing highs and unconscionably bad netplay? NetherRealm's fault. Every glitch that occurs as a result of patching (which once again, is not unique to NRS and appears to happen to every game with regular updates)? Probably not NRS's fault. Fixing many of those glitches the day they appear? A good thing. Not listing every individual glitch they fix in the patch notes? Who the fuck cares? They fixed it.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The first post has had some changes, thanks to the diligence of the viewers. You might say it's been stealth changed...

Lmfaoooo! Wait. Waittt. So let me get this right.

You removed the entire section of the post where I talked about the actual Jacqui changes that are significant, and left the one and only sentence in that whole post that I already said I was wrong about and admitted so multiple times in both private msgs and other threads prior to this one? Really? Lmao! Wow. I guess that Thin Skin Disease is effecting you more than I thought.

With reach like that you must play Dhalsim in SF.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Maybe "mad" wasn't the right word. Swap out "mad" with "critical," perhaps? Or something along those lines.
Well think about it from the other side. If someone doesn't like you because they are too sensitive when challenged in a discussion of a character that they don't even play, take it personal, so much so to where they create propaganda by altering your posts and cherry picking what to present knowing you already corrected a mistake for the sole purpose of discrediting you, while disregarding all what you were actually correct about, would you not be "critical" in your response to them?

To think a few months ago we were actually debating each other hardcore before we called the truce. Feels like so so so long ago. I can't even see how it was possible now lol.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Well, the same response still replies just as much if you swap out "mad" with "critical" in my post as well........

To think a few months ago we were actually debating each other hardcore before we called the truce. Feels like so so so long ago. I can't even see how it was possible now lol.
Ha yeah that ended on a good note tho was very impressive climax there LOL

Yo did you someone on KTP taking shots at you around the fool of the week? I don't listen enough to recognize individual voices so not sure who it was, but it had me rolling, and Dave cut you out of it tho "nono this is about Hands today"

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Well, the same response still replies just as much if you swap out "mad" with "critical" in my post as well........

Ha yeah that ended on a good note tho was very impressive climax there LOL

Yo did you someone on KTP taking shots at you around the fool of the week? I don't listen enough to recognize individual voices so not sure who it was, but it had me rolling, and Dave cut you out of it tho "nono this is about Hands today"
Yea our rivalry ended as professional as one can end. Went from Undertaker vs Kane to the Brothers of Destruction haha.

No lol what they say? I'd be curious to know who too lol. I guess I'm living up to my name if I'm getting people to think about me more than I do them. :DOGE