What's new

Guide - Unbreakable Unbreakable SZ Guide and my thoughts on the character in general.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
I've been seeing a lot of buff unbreakable threads but none of them have any content to my knowledge that has shown NRS that were at least trying with this character. No one uses this variation (to my knowledge) in tournaments and I haven't seen any updated tech since the slide buff. Here is everything I have with Unbreakable SZ since the latest patch w/ slide buff. I went into the lab and reworked a lot of what I thought and played strictly unbreakable sub for 2 months and competed with him in a local to just go 1-2 when I easily place in top 3 at locals the size of this one with GM and Cryo. In my opinion his biggest problem is his meter building ability, and if you want to really win with this character you have to be willing to take some damage or give up a round because its so hard to build meter. Then he has his anti air problems vs characters that can convert off of jump kicks which causes him to get raped when trying to standing 1 aa. Not to mention the jump in punches that beat his standing 1. His d2 is decent but being 12f I find myself getting stuffed a lot. His only reliable aa imo is frost bomb and its just not really what you need to be spending hard earned meter on when all you will get is an inconsistent 27% with Frost bomb, rcb12~freeze, njp, ji2, f42~slide or 19% with frost bomb, rcf42~slide. Playing unbreakable will definitely level up your ability to njp with sub because everyone is on a jump frenzy vs this character in the current meta. On to this guide or whatever you want to call it.

Useful Ice Aura Cancel Advantage on Block: (These were tested using Tempest Lao's Tornado and if the old theory of shaving a frame of block stun is true then these should be accurate within a frame) Followups I post can all be beat by armor unless I specifically say its a true block string but beat the fastest pokes in the game including reversal tempest spin, and Cassie flip kick. High follow ups will be able to be low profiled, and f3 can be low profiled but its matchup dependent. Low pokes wont be able to be beaten by any poke in the game.

B33~exiac +6
Gets jab, d3, d4, slide, exslide, f3, 2
d3 and d4 will beat all pokes
ex slide will launch any buttons (except armor)
Hit confirmable into a combo
Regular parry will beat any poke or advancing attack

f4~exiac +18
gets all followups including 50/50 true block string and anti fuzzy w/12 for a true block string

B12~exiac +4
gets jab, f3, d3, d4, slide, ex slide
hit confirmable into combo
regular parry beats any poke or advancing attack

f42~exiac +4
gets jab, f3,d3,d4, slide, exslide
hit confirmable into combo (f42~exiac,f4~freeze...)
parry beats all pokes or advancing attacks

b1~exiac +4
parry beats any poke or advancing attack

f3~exiac +3
gets jab
parry beats any poke or advancing attack

11~exiac +10
gets jab, d3, d4, b3 f3, 2, f4, 4, slide, ex slide
11 and 12 follow up are a true block string
b2 can beat anything slower than 7f except armor obviously

12~exiac +6
gets jab, d3, d4, f3, 2, slide, ex slide
parry will beat any poke or advancing attack
hit confirmable into combo (12~exiac,b12~freeze...)

f4~iac +4 (hey look a meterless one)
parry will beat any advancing attack or poke

Corner Armor Breaking Setup
End combo with slide, Ex Ice aura, 1~frost bomb

2 bar 55% reset
(hit confirmable string)~exiac, b12~freeze, jip b12<reset> b2, rcf42~exslide, aura, njp, ji2, f42~slide

female 44% reset one bar
(hit confirmable string)~exiac, b12~freeze, jip b12<reset> b33~freeze, ji1,242, rc1, rc123~slide

Open Space Optimal Combos
Call aura mid exslide combo to have aura up and pressure opponents wake up after slide ender but lose 2%
See combo thread for universal or other unbreakable combos for open space or corner.

B2 Starter

b2, rc f42~slide
(aura up) b2, rc f42~exslide, njp, b12~ice burst, aura 34%

B33 Starter

b33~exiac,b12~freeze, jip 242, rc1, rc123~slide
(aura active) b33~exslide, njp, ji2, rcb12~ice burst, aura 27%
(aura active) b33~exslide, aura, njp, ji2, rc123~slide 25%

F4 Starter

f4~exiac, b12~freeze, fjp, 242, rc1, rc123~slide 28%
f42~exiac,f4~freeze, ji1,242, rc1, rc123~slide, 25%
(aura active)f4/f42~exslide, njp, ji2, rc b12~ice burst, aura 27/28%
(aura active) f4/f42~exslide, aura, njp, ji2, rc123~slide 25/26%

B12 Starter

b12~exiac, b12~freeze, ji1,242,rc1,rc123~slide 31%
(aura active) b12~exslide, njp, ji2, rcb12~ice burst, aura 31%
(aura active) b12~exslide, aura, njp, ji2, rc123~slide 29%
B12~iac,b12~freeze, ji2,242, rc1, rc123~slide
B12~iac,11~freeze,ji2,242,rc1, rc123~slide

F33 Starter

f33~exiac, b12~freeze, jip, 242, rc1, rc123~slide 28%
(aura active) f33~exslide, njp, ji2, rcb12~ice burst, aura 29%
(aura active) f33~exslide, aura, njp, ji2, rc123 slide 27%

11/12 Starter

11/12~exiac, b12~freeze, jip,242, rc1, rc123~slide 25/26%
(aura active)11/12~exslide, njp, fjp, rcb12~ice burst, aura 25/26%
(aura active) 11/12~exslide, aura, njp, fjp, rc123~slide 23/24%
(aura active) 123~exslide, njp, ji2, rcb12~ice burst, aura 29%
(aura active) 123~exslide, aura, njp, ji2, rc123~slide 27%

jump in kick
(Aura active) anti air jik,f42~exslide,njp, ji2, rcf42~slide
(Aura active) deep jik, exslide,njp,ji2,rcf42~slide

GAMEPLAN
General gameplan is to try to open someone up with his mixups, b2, b3, 12, and f33. Once you successfully get aura activated play good spacing and try to open them up. If that fails you are going to be - as fuck with only 1 option to armor slide launch if they hit buttons. ex parry will not cover your gaps except off of f33 unless the character has slow pokes, or hope the opponent is late on their counter poke or poke and your ex parry gets them. If they're conditioned enough in the match up your screwed. A 1f parry would help Unbreakable sz here and instead of only being able to cover (with a risky read) f33 we would be able to cover 11, 12, b12, 24, and f42. But right now there is no read. Its be smart and not parry after subs block strings. Once you're on defense you're not taking chip so just wait for your oppurtunity to parry or frost bomb and get yourself 23% with aura up. If you have the meter and you're in neutral with aura up, be on the hunt for an opening for ex slide and get a launch with a corner carry combo.

In the neutral without aura up, you're going to want to use block string mixups, (b33, 12, f33) and b2 and when the strings fail you can cancel into ex aura to go for the meta in the cancel advantage section above. If the follow up fails to mix them up, atleast you have damage reduction, and no chip so be patient and wait for an opportunity to parry or frost bomb. You can play a really good footsie game with f4~aura and f42~ex aura as well to get a frame trap. One of the perks of playing the neutral without aura up besides getting the frame trap on block, is that if the string successfully hits and you cancel into ex aura you can hit confirm at that point.

When you get your opponent cornered I find the best range to be at is either max distance of 12 or b2. Get there by ending your combo with slide then back dash. From this range you can play mind games and have time to react to what your opponent is going to do. If they jump this is a good range to react with a d2,standing 1 aa, njp, njk. You can try to mix them up on wake up with 12~freeze/frost bomb or b2. You can also bait a lot of wakeups from this range and react with ex parry. One thing I like to do is whiff a 1, and then 12~freeze or whiff a 1 and b2. Also when ending a combo with slide, you have time to exaura and regular parry to beat out any wakeup attack that touches sz if you make that read.

I do think with 100% mu xp, 100% knowledge of the game, and mastery of sub zero's neutral would make unbreakable sub decent in the long run MAYBE. Thats my hopeful thinking on it. Just maybe unbreakable sub player can aa every jumping attack in the game with standing 1 in 5 years from now idk. But in 5 years no one is going to be late on their pokes when unb sub throws out a block string. I guess if he is left the way he is we will find out.

SUGGESTED CHANGES (IF NRS READS THIS)

1. Increase the speed of his d2 to 8f. Just to stop the jumping that ruins him. I think he would be much more viable if he had this.
2. With parry being so risky, and frost bomb not netting much damage at all in an already low damaging character improve his offensive abilities by allowing him to cancel into aura more than just once, and redesign them in stages giving them different buffs for each stage, 2 or 3 stages max w/ a debuff. The only difference in ex aura and regular should be the start up if this were applied.
3. If number 2 cant be done, and this character is to stay a defensive character in MKX, he should have a 1f parry.

**Added some gameplan information on corner strategy, neutral with aura up, and neutral without aura up.

Last edited:

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
I've barely touched Unbreakable SZ since XL, but I'll use these strings and advice and mess around with him in the lab tomorrow, see if I like him. Sub was my main in MK9 for a long time. Nice little write up.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
The buff I wanted when they should unbreakable on stream. Make aura buff all of his specials to do other things. Buff parry and make it faster while covering more real estate. Make buff ice ball do more chip or even DoT like CSZ

Tender

Noob
Great write up, saw u use him on nwm great stuff. One thing I would like to add if it could happen would be just take away his reduction after freezing his opponent or least scale it down. Cuz the same combo with 5 to 7 % difference after freeze is just way too much for him to be viable. When other people caught someone in reversal they take easily 40% of opponents life away. But we only do half of what others do. Being defense we should definitely have more damage when we caught others mistakes. Simple logic, no one wins a boxing match by getting punch for ten rounds.

Very well my friend, GG. Unbreakable would be good in any other fighting game. Its such a defensive variation for an offensive game

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
I respect that they make Sub a mentalist character and not easy to win with. If he was easy like a lot of characters in this game everybody would play him. I just think with unbreakable it's too hard to use for tough matchups like Dvorah when she can jump around on top of all the other tools she has.

Goat-City

Banned
Your suggestion for the aura is random and unnecessary. When asking for changes to a character it's never good to give vague ideas for new moves or redesigns, and it wouldn't be enough for that matter. It's better to come up with practical, specific ideas that fix what he already has in a logical way. I listed what he should get in the other recent Unbreakable thread, maybe I'll copy and paste it in a bit.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
It might be random in your little mind but I'm sure Paulo would know exactly what I mean. I'm leaving it up to him or other designers to come up with the specific ideas for the buffs in each stage instead of posting my own ideas. Are you familiar with Banes buff stages from injustice? It could work similar while keeping it similar to unbreakables buffs he gets now. If having these frame traps on more than one cancel until aura runs out seems unnecessary to you, and you enjoy being atleast -4 on every string you use then you are a flat out idiot.

Last edited:

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Your suggestion for the aura is random and unnecessary. When asking for changes to a character it's never good to give vague ideas for new moves or redesigns, and it wouldn't be enough for that matter. It's better to come up with practical, specific ideas that fix what he already has in a logical way. I listed what he should get in the other recent Unbreakable thread, maybe I'll copy and paste it in a bit.
Coming from the guy that wanted to give cryo ice daggers? You have the stupidest buff ideas , I don't even wanna think about all the stupid quan buff shit you have posted. You are the last person on tym who should be criticizing someone's idea.

Goat-City

Banned
It might be random in your little mind but I'm sure Paulo would know exactly what I mean. I'm leaving it up to him or other designers to come up with the specific ideas for the buffs in each stage instead of posting my own ideas. Are you familiar with Banes buff stages from injustice? It could work similar while keeping it similar to unbreakables buffs he gets now. If having these frame traps on more than cancel until aura runs out seems unnecessary to you, and you enjoy being atleast -4 on every string you use then you are a flat out idiot.
Random as in there is no more reason to ask for a vague Bane-esque buff than to ask for simple frame data buffs that make the bare tools he already has much better. You didn't say why you think your idea is ideal so it's random. I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just calling the sky blue so to speak.

Here are my Unbreakable ideas, pasted from another thread by the way. - "The main things Unbreakable should get are 10-15 fewer recovery frames on the parry and 20-25 fewer on the EX parry, parry building meter and having 3 frames start up on the normal version, and a small nerf in parry losing its backwards hit box so it doesn't work on teleports unless on reaction after the auto side switch. He needs more safe aura cancels (11 and maybe 24, 12 or 123,) aura building meter by blocking and extra meter build from being hit with reduced regular damage intake on the normal version as well, not just the EX version. EX aura should simply be a pressure tool and it should maybe get a hit of armor, MAYBE. The normal aura should also be about 3 frames faster so we can link b12 ice aura into instant jump punch on hit to combo. Ice aura lastly needs less damage scaling in combos.

Additional buffs that aren't necessarily needed or important would be parry working on jump attacks, parry being holdable similar to Assassin Kitana's parry, the EX parry starting up in 1 frame, EX parry having armor, slightly more damage on the aura enhanced ice burst, and/or the normal slide removing the aura on hit. However, I think he'd be good without these.

And universal Sub Zero changes that should be made are 112 being -6 or less on block with increased push back, 114 being -8 on block, b33d4 having the same minus frames and push back as b4, s11 being a good stagger with 20 fewer recovery frames, s24 being a better stagger with 5 fewer recovery frames, a 7 frame d1 and 8 frame d3, b2 doing 2% less damage and becoming slightly more minus on block ideally, and also b12 doing 2% less damage. These are in the context of my Grandmaster and Cryo change ideas but they're not relevant to this thread so I won't include them unless asked."

Last edited:

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
In the interest of not turning this into another buff thread, what is d4 ex aura I do it and d4 aura quite a bit (hey no one knows the matchup so canceling stuff into aura rarely gets punished lol.)

Goat-City

Banned
Coming from the guy that wanted to give cryo ice daggers? You have the stupidest buff ideas , I don't even wanna think about all the stupid quan buff shit you have posted. You are the last person on tym who should be criticizing someone's idea.
I've asked for Quan nerfs lol, that many Quan players agreed with the majority of. Cryo having a projectile is perfect for his defensive play style, and it fixes his meter starvation. I've already won the Cryo argument multiple times. Your only defense is that Cryo isn't a zoner, when actually according to Cryo mains he should be played as a whiff punisher, which is an aspect of zoning. If you want to talk more about why you're wrong send me a PM, stop bringing up irrelevant past posts on unrelated threads.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I've asked for Quan nerfs lol, that many Quan players agreed with the majority of. Cryo having a projectile is perfect for his defensive play style, and it fixes his meter starvation. I've already won the Cryo argument multiple times. Your only defense is that Cryo isn't a zoner, when actually according to Cryo mains he should be played as a whiff punisher, which is an aspect of zoning. If you want to talk more about why you're wrong send me a PM, stop bringing up irrelevant past posts on unrelated threads.
No I will not , and you are lying because no one agreed with you. Thank you have a good day

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
I could spell out that in these stages, he should Take less damage, give more damage, take no chip here, get a 1f parry there, gain extra meter while blocking or reduce opponents meter building while blocking but I'm sure that if they did redesign the aura system that they would come up with their own buffs and debuff regardless of what I say. Either way the main point (why it's ideal) would be that he could get more frame traps when applying offense (which I stated) since his defense is risky and doesn't grant rewarding damage.

Some of your buff ideas are fine. I think mine are much better, much simpler, and just a d2 buff alone would save this character from the abyss. If sub were to get universal low poke buffs like a 7f d1 it would make it nearly impossible to get out of the corner against gm. Opponents already have to have really great patience and not whiff their d1 when sub goes for the setup. Last thing they need is to deal with a 7f poke, but hey I'll take it.
And why the hell would you want subs b2 more punishable?

Goat-City

Banned
Can a mod please delete me and goats comments ? Honestly we have both ruined this very good thread
You ruined it, you quoted me with your off topic nonsense, and I couldn't PM you either because your profile is hidden. As for that thread I never said anyone agreed with me on Sub, but I still countered their arguments. You need to get over other people's opinions. Have a fine afternoon.