What's new

TYM Kommunity Project: An Open Letter to NRS Concerning Netplay

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
It's low because we know nothing will change. A petition isn't going to fix the netcode, a petition isn't gonna make them rethink anything that has been done.
As true as that might be, I must day that's a terrible mentality. Still valid, just too pessimistic for any change to ever happen.

I think it's that mentality is why injustice 2 and mk11 will have the same issues.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
A lot of people haven't signed because there is nothing to fix. It would take building the game from the ground up and lol aint happening.
The petition addresses this. Again, the problem is people writing off the idea of collective power. Most naysayers probably didn't even read the petition.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
It would be cool for them to just admit the netcode is not up to par with other games. The fact they will not acknowledge it is the most annoying part for me. Buy the new DLC though I am sure it will be dope as hell....

It's low because we know nothing will change. A petition isn't going to fix the netcode, a petition isn't gonna make them rethink anything that has been done.
but maybe prevents them from the same mistakes in the future

A lot of people haven't signed because there is nothing to fix. It would take building the game from the ground up and lol aint happening.
how do you know? are you one of these people? again, even if it doesnt help for this game anymore, it might change nrs view on netcode in the future.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
but maybe prevents them from the same mistakes in the future

how do you know? are you one of these people? again, even if it doesnt help for this game anymore, it might change nrs view on netcode in the future.
It's just common knowledge. Take SFV for example. The game isn't coming out until next year, but they are attempting a beta while the game is still very much in development to fix things before it's finished. I would agree with the second part, but we've all been through this before. Everyone complained about MK9 online. IGAU comes out and it's barely improved if at all, so people complain. Fast forward to now and MKX is bad. I've been reading a lot that graphics and how intensive something is can affect online play due to it's processing power. Which is why a lot of people speculate that SFV's graphics are barely improved. I don't know how true this is because I'm not a engineer or something, but it's what I hear a lot.

Tweedy

Noob
I'm starting to think that whoever runs the online for Killer Instinct is a magic man from mars.

Did the developers for each video game play duck duck goose to decide what team they got to do their netcode? I mean why does Killer Instinct, a less popular game, have flawless netcode, while NRS has had terrible netplay for 3 games?

This question to me is more mysterious than the meaning of life, the existence of Jeebus, or how many lick does it take, at this point lol. At least I can conjure up my own solution to those. Why are we so in the dark? Do they not want to admit that they don't care? Did they lose badly at duck duck goose? Are we being trolled?

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
It's just common knowledge. Take SFV for example. The game isn't coming out until next year, but they are attempting a beta while the game is still very much in development to fix things before it's finished. I would agree with the second part, but we've all been through this before. Everyone complained about MK9 online. IGAU comes out and it's barely improved if at all, so people complain. Fast forward to now and MKX is bad. I've been reading a lot that graphics and how intensive something is can affect online play due to it's processing power. Which is why a lot of people speculate that SFV's graphics are barely improved. I don't know how true this is because I'm not a engineer or something, but it's what I hear a lot.
It's not common knowledge at all, because its completely wrong. It can 100% be fixed post launch, and if you are just going to say "no it can't" you need to share this coding knowledge that you have that the rest of us don't. Just because you hear other people lacking knowledge spouting this crap, doesn't mean you should just regurgitate this nonsense and tell people it's a fact, even while admitting you don't actually know anything about it.

Street Fighter had a Beta to test all aspects of their game because they want it to be as good as possible on release. Nothing to do with an inability to fix netcode after launch.

Why are we so in the dark? Do they not want to admit that they don't care? Did they lose badly at duck duck goose? Are we being trolled?
If they have no intention of fixing it, than the only possible result of them actually saying or admitting it, is "an absolute shitload of bad PR".

People still buy the games, people are still frothing at the mouth for DLC, fuck do they care about paying to implement a netcode any better than tech from 2 decades ago

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
I'm starting to think that whoever runs the online for Killer Instinct is a magic man from mars.

Did the developers for each video game play duck duck goose to decide what team they got to do their netcode? I mean why does Killer Instinct, a less popular game, have flawless netcode, while NRS has had terrible netplay for 3 games?

This question to me is more mysterious than the meaning of life, the existence of Jeebus, or how many lick does it take, at this point lol. At least I can conjure up my own solution to those. Why are we so in the dark? Do they not want to admit that they don't care? Did they lose badly at duck duck goose? Are we being trolled?
KI is being run on the best servers money can buy. MKX is being run on the cheapest servers possible, also not located evenly throughout their regions.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
In response to I GOT HANDS tho...I do think it would be really hard to fix. I remember a Tekken developer saying fixing net code algarothims post launch was a nightmare of a task.

Anyway, I still believe that it can and should be done for mkx.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
In response to I GOT HANDS tho...I do think it would be really hard to fix. I remember a Tekken developer saying fixing net code algarothims post launch was a nightmare of a task.

Anyway, I still believe that it can and should be done for mkx.
Well, this is also in response the statement that it can't be done at all even during development because of the nature of MK being a fighting game (???). It might be harder to go back and fix and a game after launch, but it can be done, but its irrelevant because we 3 games deep now, NRS hit a straight hatrick off the bat for bad netcodes, so it's pretty clear its a choice at this point

and just saying "well it happens everytime so it musnt be possible to fix it" is just dumb fanboying, we in 2015 and this a game made by a company worth billions of dollars, developed on one of the best engines gaming has to offer. The netcode aint good because they don't care enough to make it good. No other reason, lets stop pretending the technology isnt there so that we can focus on the real issues here, because it most definitely is.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
KI is being run on the best servers money can buy. MKX is being run on the cheapest servers possible, also not located evenly throughout their regions.
Both games are P2P. Fighting games need to be P2P otherwise it would just be adding more work to the connection. The only thing different about KI is the way the game is designed to handle lag.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Both games are P2P. Fighting games need to be P2P otherwise it would just be adding more work to the connection. The only thing different about KI is the way the game is designed to handle lag.
I hear what you're saying Scoot. But, in all fighting games... if the servers go down, you cannot connect to Online, so it has something to do with it. Then, as far as the P2P. If someone sends you an invite or vice versa, who is the host? In ranked, who hosts, it's always random and even with the same host or... inviter [I've tested] the connect is always random. Also... Faction stats and even move stats are being accounted for in every match... a nightmare.

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
Well, this is also in response the statement that it can't be done at all even during development because of the nature of MK being a fighting game (???). It might be harder to go back and fix and a game after launch, but it can be done, but its irrelevant because we 3 games deep now, NRS hit a straight hatrick off the bat for bad netcodes, so it's pretty clear its a choice at this point

and just saying "well it happens everytime so it musnt be possible to fix it" is just dumb fanboying, we in 2015 and this a game made by a company worth billions of dollars, developed on one of the best engines gaming has to offer. The netcode aint good because they don't care enough to make it good. No other reason, lets stop pretending the technology isnt there so that we can focus on the real issues here, because it most definitely is.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
It's not common knowledge at all, because its completely wrong. It can 100% be fixed post launch, and if you are just going to say "no it can't" you need to share this coding knowledge that you have that the rest of us don't. Just because you hear other people lacking knowledge spouting this crap, doesn't mean you should just regurgitate this nonsense and tell people it's a fact, even while admitting you don't actually know anything about it.

Street Fighter had a Beta to test all aspects of their game because they want it to be as good as possible on release. Nothing to do with an inability to fix netcode after launch.
What? Tell me how it can be fixed if true. You're not understanding the netcode they made is implemented into their coding. Do you honestly believe they would shut down online play for months to make a new netcode? They do not have the time for that. Bottom line is their netcode sucks. It's not GGPO or GGPO like. It's hot garbage and until they start using something like GGPO it will remain lackluster. You know this.

One of the MAIN reasons SFV has a beta is for online play. If you think they aren't having one to tweak and fix online before release then I don't know what to tell you. Have you seen the Rising Thunder trailer? Notice how it says, "Built Ground Up For Online Play?" This obviously means the coding for it began in the early stages. So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that sentence.

You'll be lucky if they add a feature to search for players in your region.