What's new

Tutorial Mode in MKX

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Hey guys. I'm sure this suggestion has been given before, but I want to give it more attention. I think a very comprehensive tutorial would be amazing in a game like mk. It attracts tons of casual players with its great single player content, fatalities, and overall mood and tone. Many of these players could be interested in high level play if they were exposed to it without being overwhelmed by it. Therefore an in depth tutorial like the one from skullgirls could get tons of players interested in the fgc. And coupled with a great training mode (also possibly like skullgirls?) our community could grow a lot. Would NRS consider doing something like this?

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
They had one in Injustice i dont see why not, maybe expand on it abit

but i have a sick idea for Dojo mode

depending on how free, complex and precise the combo system is
i was thinking they can add an online Dojo mode or something like that

where you can set the char and position of execution
then you do the combo
save it
upload it
anyone online can DL it
and add it to their playlist see can they do it
as said depending on how much freedom you have to personalize combo's have a leaderboard for most Downloaded combo

along with Char section
you could prolly have it like
-Combo
(Mid-screen/Corner/Fixed)
-Block string
-Tech

spit balling here really, but away to take what everyone wants from SF (Dojo mode)and make it last through the game life cycle
maybe pushing it here but users can rate it both on how "Useful" and "Difficult" outta 5 stars or some shit

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
Online Practice is a must for me. Does KI have it? I've only played a handful of times. I think it doesn't. I've learned a lot of stuff in online Practice in Injustice. I also really like DOA5U's Training mode with the real-time frame data and such.

I think I could have been a better MK9 player if I have a good practice mode to work with. So I could come up with good punishes and tactics. Not just learn most of the stuff on the fly.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Thanks for introducing me to this channel, Crathen.
This dude rules.
A public educator who does reseach and thoroughly understands a subject before talking about it?!
Amazing!
Knowledge is power, and Extra Credits seems to know.
Yeah. I was a casual once, too. Then in youtube suggestions, there was high level play.
I got lucky by finding Final Round 2011 by chance. I wouldn't have sought that out on my own. Likelihood of exposure to this cool stuff needs to rise, and tutorials will help more of that high level awesomeness to exist.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Long story short: a lot of stuff is invented already, and a lot of ideas are flying around at this point. It's a matter of NRS' will to implement that.

insignis

Noob
NRS did great thing including STAR Labs where player could learn lots of stuff:
1) in the beggining of the each character section teach you fundamentals of the particular character;
2) mini games - to be better at these moves or teaching you something else (Batman avaids Killer Croc charges, Hawkgirl flies around Lex because floor is hot, etc.);
3) challenges to get 3 stars - perform bad-ass combo, don't block, etc.

However most of the players haven't even tried the tutorial to learn how to clash/reversal/etc. - I often see dumb questions like "How do I use supermove duuuuuuh.."

Fighting games will never be as easy as FPS or RPG because people don't want to learn unless you make them - online is blocked until you finish the tutorial/single player mode/etc.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
NRS did great thing including STAR Labs where player could learn lots of stuff:
1) in the beggining of the each character section teach you fundamentals of the particular character;
2) mini games - to be better at these moves or teaching you something else (Batman avaids Killer Croc charges, Hawkgirl flies around Lex because floor is hot, etc.);
3) challenges to get 3 stars - perform bad-ass combo, don't block, etc.
And then there are jumping cats which I'm not sure what are supposed to teach you :/
And then there's that entire Lex chapter...
I mean, some of challenge tower / STAR labs ideas were good, but fillers were as abundant if not more numerous.

However most of the players haven't even tried the tutorial to learn how to clash/reversal/etc. - I often see dumb questions like "How do I use supermove duuuuuuh.."
Heh, it gets better when you run into wall of curses for suggesting to try tutorial. Apparently tutorials are beneath some people's dignity, and they didn't pay for the game to waste their time with this shit. I guess that's definitely worse than wasting time asking about input for X-ray on forums.

Fighting games will never be as easy as FPS or RPG because people don't want to learn unless you make them - online is blocked until you finish the tutorial/single player mode/etc.
Eh, I'm not a big fan of this approach. People tend not to remember well what they aren't interested in anyways, and design like that potentially screws with anyone changing his platform, for example. Finally, I don't see why should game stand between casual button masher and his idea of fun considering that he will definitely run into those with the same idea online - it's up to matchmaking system to take care of that IMO, and other than that, who we are to tell him what's fun and what's not?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
That chess analogy is pretty apt. When I'm teaching someone to play, it isn't "Alright, I want you to counteract my Nemean offensive with a Trojan defense." "Yeah, the King can only move one square, but if he's got a clear line between one of your castles in the starting position, they can swap." "Yes pawns can only attack diagonally, but if you move your pawn like that, I can take it." "Yeah, you can swap pawns out for better pieces by getting across the board, you didn't know that?"

Nobody would want to fucking play. That's exactly what fighting games do. Look at Capcom-"Ok, with Dante, you want him as your mid, and makes sure you learn 2, QCB 3xxroundtripxxlauncher, 1, 2, 3 TAC. PLINK DASHING!"

Point made, and don't take advice from me on how to play Dante

insignis

Noob
And then there are jumping cats which I'm not sure what are supposed to teach you :/
And then there's that entire Lex chapter...
I mean, some of challenge tower / STAR labs ideas were good, but fillers were as abundant if not more numerous.

Heh, it gets better when you run into wall of curses for suggesting to try tutorial. Apparently tutorials are beneath some people's dignity, and they didn't pay for the game to waste their time with this shit. I guess that's definitely worse than wasting time asking about input for X-ray on forums.

Eh, I'm not a big fan of this approach. People tend not to remember well what they aren't interested in anyways, and design like that potentially screws with anyone changing his platform, for example. Finally, I don't see why should game stand between casual button masher and his idea of fun considering that he will definitely run into those with the same idea online - it's up to matchmaking system to take care of that IMO, and other than that, who we are to tell him what's fun and what's not?
I'm exaggerating :)

Some missions were helpful, some - for fun.

My point is tutorial will be sexy but it won't change anything. MK9 was the one of the most bestselling fighting games ever and MKX will be too. Don't think that MK9 didn't get thousands of player at EVO because it is too hard for casuals who might become competetive players. MK9 is simple and noob friendly.