What's new

Transferring TYM Ownership to Mr Aquaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what this forum was originally intended to be for before I joined. I only signed up here under the impression that it was a place to just talk about Mortal Kombat in general. Midway forums was gone, WB's version of their forums became a ghost town, so eventually I found that TYM was very huge around that time and that's what convinced me to look at it as a great alternative. However, it seems to go beyond that for most of the staff and the members here(old and new) and that's fine. People come to a fan site for different reasons all the time.

All I know is from my experience first coming here, it seemed like a place where all forms of discussion regarding the franchise was open. From speculation, to leaks or just talking about the state of the franchise in general. I'm not saying this is when the site was perfect, but it was still good enough to be an enjoyable experience to just come talk and have fun about MK, even if we didn't agree on everything or despite the occasional troll/cesspool posts.

Most people here will say that criticism is fine, but if the criticism is becoming more active than usual or it gets more attention than the positive feedback, then that's when it becomes an issue all of sudden. Now it becomes "whining, complaining, crying, etc" because apparently it's overshadowing the things they like to talk about and causing their inability to discuss on the site. For whatever reason, I guess finding/or creating another thread to avoid a certain topic they don't like is not enough. Nonetheless, if the negativity surrounding the game is what's driving you away, then that's your prerogative.

But you have to understand the reason why a community constantly acts the way they are or the space seems like it's "no fun", it's mainly because the company is not really giving them what they want. And if it's true that NRS does look at this site, then that kind of public engagement is crucial and it should not be censored whatsoever. A change in the product really makes a difference in the community's attitude.

I know this because as a wrestling fan, when WWE was ran under Vince during his later years of power, the company would get so much shit across different online platforms because of how stale it was. Now that Triple H is in charge, you barely see any toxicity or negativity anymore. And if you do, it's only from a small portion of the fans.

Not every fandom section you like to be apart of is going to remain on cloud nine forever. When a company changes, people change. That's just the way it works. If you want a stable community, your frustrations should go to the higher ups, not the fans.

Last edited:

rifraf

Noob
Most people here will say that criticism is fine, but if the criticism is becoming more active than usual or it gets more attention than the positive feedback, then that's when it becomes an issue all of sudden.
That's a bit unfair imo. When people are calling the game a scam, there's nothing to talk about really. It's their opinion of course, but it's nonsense.

it's mainly because the company is not really giving them what they want.
Good, because as far as I have seen from people being so over the top they want a completely different game. Which I have to say, too bad for them because MK1 is MK1. Take it or leave it. It can always be improved, but it will always be MK1.

it should not be censored whatsoever
What exactly is being censored in this forum?? As far as I can see, there's next to none moderation. Everyone says whatever they want.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
What exactly is being censored in this forum?? As far as I can see, there's next to none moderation. Everyone says whatever they want.
What exactly??? LOL

Literally the most active thread in years (I'd say since MKX days), which people spent hours of time posting their thoughts / considered opinions / memes / jokes was deleted. The thread had a massive amount of views and it was deleted for no reason - seemingly because people wanted to keep it going after the game released because they were having fun. You do not delete threads with 700 pages - it is disdainful. Many of the people who were posting in it never came back and left the forum (I nearly did myself). It was the single most stupid decision I have seen in the forum's history.

The other most active thread since then was also deleted because the posts in it (I assume) were not liked by the moderator.

Deleting threads = censorship
Deleting threads = rubbing out the forum's history.

If you have to... lock threads, don't delete.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
What exactly??? LOL

Literally the most active thread in years (I'd say since MKX days), which people spent hours of time posting their thoughts / considered opinions / memes / jokes was deleted. The thread had a massive amount of views and it was deleted for no reason - seemingly because people wanted to keep it going after the game released because they were having fun. You do not delete threads with 700 pages - it is disdainful. Many of the people who were posting in it never came back and left the forum (I nearly did myself). It was the single most stupid decision I have seen in the forum's history.

The other most active thread since then was also deleted because the posts in it (I assume) were not liked by the moderator.

While I understand where you are coming from with this, I have mixed feelings on this topic.

In one hand, yes, the leaks thread was fun and engaging, but it turned into a general discussion thread that oftentimes was ground to just pages and pages of people hurling insults to eachother because someone had a bad day or whatever. The original purpose of the thread was derailed quickly and I guess that's why it was deleted.

A similar thing happened with the "is the game dead" thread - it went on and on having people arguing with eachother, sometimes ferociously, about how "MK isnt dead, u dumb" vs "yeah it is, u asshole", without it going anywhere. There were civil and fun discussions inside it, sure, but I guess the premise of a thread that was mostly made to doom and gloom and shit on the game was bad enough and it just reached a tipping point.

I agree locking the threads is a better option than deleting them, though.

rifraf

Noob
I wasn't aware of the leaks thread but I was of the other one.
The other most active thread since then was also deleted because the posts in it (I assume) were not liked by ANYONE.
Fixed it for you. When there's so much vitriol and trolling in one thread, locking is probably not a good enough option. That's just not censorship at that point, it's adhering to some basic common sense and decency.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What exactly??? LOL

i definitely agree that threads shouldn’t be deleted. Unless they were posted by a spambot or the OP is something obviously egregious. We not only can just lock threads, we can also move them to the “Netherrealm”. Which I believe only the staff can view, but it’s still better than straight deleting a thread. Even if a thread goes off the rails and needs to be locked, it’s like catching forum history in a bottle. Years from now we could look back on the crazy threads and reminisce. Sounds weird but I’ve literally done that before with the UMK3 GG’s thread that was started back in 2006 on UMK dot com and when the sites merged, that thread was also merged to TYM. So it had history going all the way back to 06. That thread didn’t get deleted, it just randomly disappeared. I tried hard to get it back but it was just gone. That was very upsetting, still to this day no one knows what happened to it…

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Yall, I'm the one who deleted that god-awful thread, not Aqua. TYM is going to undergo some changes, and those of you who would rather whine about the game than discuss how to play the game are probably going to want to find another community, like Reddit, that better caters to that useless noise.

Also, thanks everyone for the kind words. This month has sucked a whole bag full of dicks, but you all have made it suck at least a little bit less. <3 <3 <3
I’m going to miss you, Peter Weller.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Hey all, the transfer to @Mr Aquaman is almost complete (like, minutes away). I am closing this thread because it's served its purpose, and I know Aqua wants to make his own thread with his ideas and upcoming changes.

And, just to reiterate, any decisions made up until now have been me, not Aqua. All the complaints about censorship and that nonsense can be directed straight at me. I have the utmost faith in Aqua to bring that old spark back to TYM, and I am very excited to see what he's able to do with the site.

A huge thanks to the dozen or so of you who continued to visit TYM over the past 3 years. If not for you, I probably would have just let the domain lapse, as TYM costs quite a bit to maintain.

So here's to the upcoming MK1 update, to another 10 years of TYM, and to the man, the myth, the legend, Mr. Aquaman himself, for taking the reins. Cheers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.