What's new

Transferring TYM Ownership to Mr Aquaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
That statement is all I wanted to hear.

Administrators should not be policing opinions and deleting threads.

A couple of Mortal Kombat websites have had this issue in the past. None of them exist any longer.
Well you can blame me for deleting that thread and rejoice that I will no longer be making those decisions in the near future.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
As the title says. @Mr Aquaman is taking over TYM. I have transferred ownership to him for the good of the MK kommunity, as I believe he will be able to do a lot better by yall than I have. He should be responding soon with his plans for TYM. Hope you enjoy the future of TYM. I'm out. Peace.

-Woody
thanks for keeping TYM alive for as long as you could manage man, i'll always be grateful for that.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
One of the only reasons this site is still around is because of you Robo, thank you for the years of effort and resources to make that happen! I look forward to trying to bring TYM to the new era. I will create my own thread with some planned changes and please let me know any suggestions/changes you guys would like to see as well
Welcome! cant wait to see whats new and in store for the future.:)

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I used to hang on a very large and very old doctor who site, before it got bought out and shut down by the BBC as they made their own version of it. I've been a fan long before the new series. The mods there did something drastic, and it was for the best. Basically, when things come down to it, they realised that the site is a FAN site designed for people to come together and ENJOY a fandom.

So when the new series started, they actually locked and minor banned people that spoke too harsh and spat vitriol all over the place, as you know a lot of oldWho's hated the new series. As the entire site was taken over by hate threads and constant bitching and moaning.

There was crying and moaning about the new rules .. oh my "freedoms" and all that total bullshit.... but you know what actually happened? The entire place became fun to hang out on again, and all those toxic fans that had nothing good to say just fucked off and left. The entire vibe of the site improved, and it again became a positive place for people that loved doctor who to hang out and share that love.

Much of the internet, particularly social media, thrives on "engagement" and nothing is more engaging than hate and the defence against hate. It has trained many people to be outspoken and vicious in their comments. The mods realised that what they needed to cultivate was a safe space for fans... not a place where new fans would come and see 30 threads and a shoutbox full of negativity and bile.

In short, fuck your "freedoms". If you hate the games, fine, hate them.... but there is no need and nothing productive abut spewing hate 24/7 when others just want things to be about other stuff. Take that shit to twitter or discord and other toxic places. Let the site breath and be a place people and new users can come to see people that enjoy things. And you know what, plenty of people do. Pissing off a few people that provide nothing but bile and them fucking off it a good thing for everyone. It isn't about "policing opinions" it is about creating an environment that is conducive to fandom. The super cool thing is that all those "hey, I should be able to be a cunt if I want" type people just disappeared and the site became awesome again. Pissing off a tiny few people, improved things for everyone else as they bring nothing to the site anyway. They were dead weight.

Deleting or locking that thread was the correct thing to do, and it should have been done months ago. Robo was correct, it was, and I mean it was in actuality, cancerous to this community.
You think invasions is fun.

rifraf

Noob
Yes I would love a real MK podcast again that wasn't just endless"fuck mk fuck mk fuck mk".

I don't even know if Reo is still interested in MK, but if he is I'd love to see him back
Yes, please. A podcast with people that actually play the game.

REO koming back would be unreal as well. But who knows if he plays the game or not. If he did, he would've probably made a reappearance by now.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
A podcast that focuses more on news, tournament results, match analysis, maybe brings on guests for in depth character gameplan/strategy discussion would be nice. Something positive, constructive, instead of "Here's why this game sucks and MK9 was better" for the millionth time.

More than anything I just want TYM to get away from the constant negativity. Criticism is fine and will always have it's place, but if people show up just to bash a game and offer nothing but negative opinions all the time, it's a real buzz kill. It's why the site feels dead at times. The site would be a lot more fun if it focused on instruction, news, matchmaking, community building, stuff like that.

The most fun I've ever had on this site was the Injustice 2 Cyborg forum and MK11 Raiden forum, because there were people in those forums who actually bothered to talk about the character, and discuss tech or gameplay ideas, and try and get better or optimize the character, instead of non-stop complaining.

More than anything I just want TYM to get away from the constant negativity. Criticism is fine and will always have it's place, but if people show up just to bash a game and offer nothing but negative opinions all the time, it's a real buzz kill. It's why the site feels dead at times. The site would be a lot more fun if it focused on instruction, news, matchmaking, community building, stuff like that.
^This. I've never had an issue with criticism or frustration when it's constructive. When it's just people raging and creating juvenile drama, it sets such a negative precedent and tone and does more damage than good. Overtime, it makes the site a place you simply don't want to go to.

@Marlow, I'd also love for TYM to be a place people can come to learn, grow, and improve their game. For all level of players.

@Mr Aquaman I doubt this would be practical, but I'll toss it on the table anyway: The Mortal Kombat 11 Kombat Akademy guide Raptor put together was excellent, and a great resource to provide to new players. I'd love to see something like that here eventually.

On an aside, I noticed a few shows back on Koloseeum you started having "pop ups" show up describing fighting game terms. I think that's fantastic for new players. Simple things like that go a long way for new people.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
There's so many new (old) people here, it will be a hard task but the new administration needs to strike while the iron is hot in order to ensure that people actually stick around. I'm worried this activity level / buzz is will be short lived unless something is done to get people to actually stay and contribute.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
A podcast that focuses more on news, tournament results, match analysis, maybe brings on guests for in depth character gameplan/strategy discussion would be nice. Something positive, constructive, instead of "Here's why this game sucks and MK9 was better" for the millionth time.
We actually did one of these, with Pig:

Talked about all the recent tournaments, give shoutouts and highlights to players who were doing well, and new players who were up and coming. A whole bunch of players came through the chat, and it was fun. We kind of screwed up the Discord audio for the first one, but if people like this kind of thing, I'm sure I can bug Pig for us to do more of them :)

The plan was to highlight TOs and events next, and to dive into how things have changed compeitively lately, etc. But if this is the type of thing you guys want to see more of (discussion focused on our community and what's actually happening in the competitive scene), let us know.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
How expensive/time consuming is it to put a podcast up on Apple Podcast/Spotify/whatever? Being able to download the audio and then listen to it on a commute is how I take in most podcasts. Not that anything has to be tailored for me specifically, but it's a nice option and way to reach people.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
We actually did one of these, with Pig:

Talked about all the recent tournaments, give shoutouts and highlights to players who were doing well, and new players who were up and coming. A whole bunch of players came through the chat, and it was fun. We kind of screwed up the Discord audio for the first one, but if people like this kind of thing, I'm sure I can bug Pig for us to do more of them :)

The plan was to highlight TOs and events next, and to dive into how things have changed compeitively lately, etc. But if this is the type of thing you guys want to see more of (discussion focused on our community and what's actually happening in the competitive scene), let us know.
Why am I just hearing about this now??? Personally I'd love more content like this.

B W1zZ

Noob
As a day 1 TYM'er who was around before this site, I'm hoping to see this website transform to where people are more willing to come here instead of Twitter or other social media for their MK related needs as it holds a nostalgic value for me. Please don't transform it too much to where it takes away from the original charm of the website.

B W1zZ

Noob
Wasn’t there a thumbs down feature for like a couple weeks or something a few years ago before one of the overhauls? I liked that and wish it stayed, if I think someone’s post sucks but don’t wanna quote them, and don’t want to use a passive aggressive laugh emoji, I want the downvote.
I agree bring back the thumbs down option for posts. Let people be negative when they want to be negative instead of forced toxic positivity.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I agree bring back the thumbs down option for posts. Let people be negative when they want to be negative instead of forced toxic positivity.
Not just that, but a downvote isn’t some awful thing. It’s just a quick “I disagree” without having to get into a conversation about every little thing.

People are using the laugh emoji in the same way, the downvote is less smug and douchey if it’s about bullying and whatnot.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Not just that, but a downvote isn’t some awful thing. It’s just a quick “I disagree” without having to get into a conversation about every little thing.

People are using the laugh emoji in the same way, the downvote is less smug and douchey if it’s about bullying and whatnot.
When you disagree though people will want to know why you are in disagreement. It's like in all other social media platforms like youtube or whatever, if you get dislikes it pushes them off. If you have nothing to say or don't agree then don't agree or like or love laugh or whatever. If people have things to say then they should say them. I mean, we are all here for the franchise and community and want people to stay around. But i also thinking liking and loving or laughing a post you never know to interpret.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
When you disagree though people will want to know why you are in disagreement. It's like in all other social media platforms like youtube or whatever, if you get dislikes it pushes them off. If you have nothing to say or don't agree then don't agree or like or love laugh or whatever. If people have things to say then they should say them. I mean, we are all here for the franchise and community and want people to stay around. But i also thinking liking and loving or laughing a post you never know to interpret.
It’s not social media though, if you post something about your character or something you’re asking for input on, it’s a quick way to get an idea of what everyone thinks of it.

Obviously they can and should discuss it, which they will, it’s a gaming forum in large part dedicated to learn how to play a game better, so discussion is frequent and necessary. Say you’re looking at the forum for a character you don’t play or know anything about, but you’re reading through the threads to learn more about them for the MU or even to learn them yourself, and there’s a bunch of old information you may not want to bring up fresh, but you could read the conversations to help filter out the most important info.

In the same way dropping a like is a quick way to say “yes I agree”, you don’t have to quote them and elaborate unless you have more to add.

I don’t think it would dissuade discussion at all. Yeah like every forum there’s circle jerks of dorks sometimes, but that’s unavoidable.

I’m all for nuking emojis and just having like.

if you want to disagree with someone, fine. Write something out. Agreement can just be a button because you’re literally just saying “yeah what they said”

If you disagree and don’t elaborate then what the fuck was the point? Great someone hates this take and we’ve no idea why.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’m all for nuking emojis and just having like.

if you want to disagree with someone, fine. Write something out. Agreement can just be a button because you’re literally just saying “yeah what they said”

If you disagree and don’t elaborate then what the fuck was the point? Great someone hates this take and we’ve no idea why.
I explained a situation I think it’d be useful for in the part you didn’t quote man.

I think not every post you’d downvote is something that warrants a full conversation, and it’d give people reading old threads a way to see which posts were mixed with some people liking and disliking, and which disagreeable posts were more or less “controversial” re whatever topic. Like reading an old matchup thread, knowing if a take on x vs y character was generally agreeable or disagreeable and if so, how much.

It’s just another form of expression and offers readers and lurkers more info on how the community at large feels about a post.

It’s not completely a 1:1 comparison but think of YouTube removing dislikes, the like/dislike bar was a good way to see what viewers thought of a video, people who didn’t like it shouldn’t necessarily have to leave a comment every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.