What's new

Transferring TYM Ownership to Mr Aquaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
What happened to the matchmaking forums? When I moved to Portland, I had to look all over twitter to find a link to the pdx discord and hover into the netherrealm section to find a link to where MK existed. And the Seattle discord is a different channel. I miss a sense of community.

Also, hello all. Miss yall! :)

Mk9kevin

Sareena for MK11!
@RoboCop I can’t express how much I appreciate you. I know we hardly ever interacted, but you helped steer through this website and the effort shows. For the past couple of years, I’ve lurked through TYM and it’s still to this day my favorite MK Forum. I… Don’t know why I kept coming back here. There’s just something so unique, so special about here that I just couldn’t find anywhere else. I was always afraid of interacting with anyone in the MK community. Oddly, I just never felt like I belonged in it. But then Injustice 2 came along and then MK11. I saw the excitement, the thrill! And that’s when I started to really chime in. You and the administration team did an amazing job maintaining TYM after all these years. Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise dude. I wish nothing but the best to you, and from what I’ve seen you have what it takes to overcome those challenges in your life right now. Again thank you.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
cool to see a lot of old names pop up on this thread

There used to be a calendar page and an events page a long time ago. would be nice to have that again.

Made keeping track of upcoming events and finding locals much easier. Pretty sure that's how I found EGP back in 2011.
100% need a calendar page or something to show dates of events, how to tune in, etc.

I think a good idea would be to try and pull from the mk1 Reddit boards. There are hundreds if not thousands of active posters there that I’m sure would welcome a more structured platform to discuss the competitive aspect of the game we all love (mu discussions, tier lists, game analysis, character strategies and tech, etc). They just don’t know tym exists.

Reddit is great and all but it doesn’t really help facilitate these type of discussions.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I think a good idea would be to try and pull from the mk1 Reddit boards. There are hundreds if not thousands of active posters there that I’m sure would welcome a more structured platform to discuss the competitive aspect of the game we all love (mu discussions, tier lists, game analysis, character strategies and tech, etc). They just don’t know tym exists.

Reddit is great and all but it doesn’t really help facilitate these type of discussions.
Ive met some of the the MK Reddit staff at ECT for pro komp. Im sure something can be done.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Super excited about this announcement and I really hope this brings a larger chunk of the community to the site. Figured I would just post some of my suggestions for the site as a user who was very active a few years ago and fell off because I didn't see a use in the site anymore.

1. The news section needs to be up to date. It blows my mind that we've had a new game out for months and only 6 front page articles have been made since it was announced.

2. There should be plenty of resources for people to find upcoming tournaments, both online and offline. Searching through start gg, twitter posts, and discord servers is the best way to find events now. Would be great if there was a section on this site that was just a database for a bunch of tournaments/events.

3. There needs to better moderation. This was the biggest reason why myself and a lot of other people left the site. In particular the Stephanie coming out thread left a really bad taste in people's mouths with how many disgusting posts/comments were allowed to stay up.

I trust Aqua has the his pulse on the community and knows what the scene needs from this website going forward. Can't wait to see how this site evolves.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
TYM exclusive tournaments with a reasonable prize pot. To qualify need X amount of TYM posts in 2024. Create a new premium tier TYM membership to gather funds. I'd donate/support. (Quick 30 sec brainstorm.)
I'd grind the game again just to competitively compete out of loyalty to the site. I still have my trophy from winning the TYM MK11 one placed directly next to my first custom stick on a stand among a couple of other gaming related items.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Things that should return
  1. Front Page News Threads
  2. Stream Links
Outreach to other communities outside MK. This could easily fill the void left behind by SRK with a little outreach and support. (ie post here instead of blathering on Twitter and discord )
So just an update on those two things:

1) As far as news, the tricky thing is finding people who are willing to make updates consistently. As you know, I took it upon myself to handle most of it for a number of years and write articles to support events in our scene, as STORMS did before me. But overall, it's a thankless job, and when editors become busy with life, there aren't a lot of people who are willing to vounteer to do it for long stretches unpaid. Especially if the responses are mostly negative rather than constructive.

The best thing people can do if they'd like to see something done in their community is to contribute themselves — and that's why I'm here. Because I saw that Storms needed help so many years ago, and I volunteered to pitch in myself. It'd have been easy to just lurk the site and complain, but becoming part of the solution was the best thing to do. When TYM's new layout was unusable on mobile for many people, I went through the code to make the fixes myself. So there might be future writers here, but somene's always needed to actually step up and take on the task.

2) The stream links are missing because TYM runs on a platform (XenPorto/XenRio) that was built and maintained solely by Jaxel. When Jaxel went off the rails with his string of problematic behavior, there was no one else to provide updates to those XenForo plugins to make them compatible with Twitch's newer API. And the current owner decided that it'd be ok without. So they may need to be replaced entirely, which means significant changes to the layout.

I bring these things up to say that there's always a bit more to the story, even when we'd like to have those things as much as you would. But moving forward, if there are new resources there might be new solutions.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
@CrimsonShadow

One solution to articles is to have it completely open to all users. Submissions go to admin for approval before hitting the front page. This would make it all inclusive, and provide new content.

Re:Streams, that's a crying shame. Thanks for the explanation.

Another feature that could benefit the site is a webshop. I still own the TestYourmight "Great Tournament, Great Experience" tee from a few years back. Said funds can be used for community tournies or op costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.