What's new

Tournament Play: Disabling Interactables

Interactables in Tournament Play?

• Total voters

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I am not playing a grappler in tournament anymore because of the corner divekick interactables. Never again will I put all my effort into walking down a zoner just to finally get my chance to start my game only to have them mash out invincible flying divekick into plus frames as many times as they want. That interactable type and any other unlimited corner interactables are broken beyond belief and I have no idea why NRS loves them so much. They are an absolute cancer.

If those remain they should take all 4 bars no bullshit. How NRS thinks flying free escape from the corner you can use multiple times is the same as the -30 on block lance on Shangs Island I will never understand

I'm pretty sure the armor on lance costs a bar

Rude

Come to think of it, I hit people out of corner escapes when they didn't have meter with Baraka sometimes. I'm sure it'll be fine.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I personally can live without the wall run interactables (I actually forgot about them until I saw other players using them in the beta lmao), but the problem with this is, to switch interactables off, don’t both players have to agree to it? Having to explain to every single player I’d play in any other setting “uhh yeah I play at offline tournaments so could you turn off interactables pls” sounds like more trouble than what it’s worth. This was a similar problem with the disabling the first hit bonus via Kombat kode in MK9 which probably contributed to it not being removed until now.

Granted, NRS has made changes to specific interactables before, so I don’t think it would be beyond the realm of possibility that they could give the wall escapes specifically another look.

Now I mention it, when are we getting Kombat kodes back anyway? That’s the real question of our generation.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I vote to keep them.
However:

There should be a third option:

Leave them on, make them all single use per match. I think interactables can add a bit of an x-factor to matches, and having them be usable only ones adds a layers of decision making I believe.
This right here.
I can only swing the chainsaw once, just like I could only throw Blanche or swing from the chain in The Kove once. You should only be able to use it once, bars or no bars.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This thread is stupid. Intractables including corner escapes- cost meter to use. It's not like I2 where you can do it indefinitely at no cost. It takes what...16 seconds for a bar? Something like that? That's 16 seconds where you need to think carefully about how to use the next bar.

It's fine. There was never a time that I got hit with an interactable and thought, "man, I would have won this game if it weren't for this spear on Shang Tsung's island."

Be aware of your surroundings.
It’s almost like people don’t even read the OP

I think it adds an extra layer of strategy in the game, especially in MK11 where they cost defense meter, since using one could make the breaker unavailable for a limited period of time. I'm okay with them as long as they have the same properties no matter which character uses them and they are usable only once per game. Interactables that can be used extra times and differently depending of the character like in Injustice is a dumb concept to me.

I understand why some people want them to be turned off, especially because a certain type of interactable will be available on the left side (let's say a throwable interaction) and the other side will only have a jump or grab interactable, so the player starting facing right will have a slight advantage. But I think that picking an arena is be part of a strategy. But, even used as a strategy, interactables are a double-edged sword. For exemple in MKX I like to pick Jinsei Chamber because I love the aesthetics of the arena, but also for the fountain interactable at the left corner of the arena that acts like a command grab. I can use it when in the corner to free myself from it, or neutral duck it on a read when my opponent is in the corner and full punish it. But, like I said, it's a double edged sword and it is not rare I get disadvantaged by the very interaction I wanted to use when I first picked the arena. And that's why I believe that counter picking in NRS games should also include stage selection.

But since interactables are part of the gameplay, it would be more interesting to have arenas without any interactions in the arena pool. We have like what ? 15 arenas in MK11 ? Then make 5 arenas without any interactions, I think 1/3 should be a decent number. Or make one or two with the exact same interactables at the exact same place on both the left and right side have a symmetrical arena from a gameplay point of view, like MKXL's pit.

The only thing is that they should be balanced this way : low risk interactable -> low reward, medium risk -> medium reward and so on... With Injustice 2, and even MKX, we saw that interactables are still not balanced. Corner escapes interactables needs to be highly punishable, more than any other interactables.

Rude

I’m pretty sure only the amplified ones cost meter.

Yeah. And if they don't amplify, they don't get armor. So you can hit them out of it. It'll be fine. Bad thread is bad.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
If your loosing to interactables on pro level you shouldn’t be in tournament. Hardly affect the overall outcome from negative point view .

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This wouldn't fly on the pro tour.

Plus, Juggs aren’t you a “just play the game as-is” kinda guy? I never really expected to see this sort of thread with your name on it :confused:

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
If your loosing to interactables on pro level you shouldn’t be in tournament. Hardly affect the overall outcome from negative point view .
I don't think you have to necessarily lose to interactables to not prefer them in competitive play. People have their reasons. We are all going to play the game regardless, I dont think anyone has stopped playing mk because of them.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This wouldn't fly on the pro tour.

Plus, Juggs aren’t you a “just play the game as-is” kinda guy? I never really expected to see this sort of thread with your name on it :confused:
It’s an option in the tournament mode for a reason.

Yes I am. And “as is” there’s an option to disable the interactables in tournament mode. If they didn’t want that to be possible, it wouldn’t be an option.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Yep, after seeing how damaging it was to neutral/matchups in Injustice 2 and seeing it create similar issues even with beta gameplay, I have real concerns about the corner interactables having infinite uses. I think interactables are fun and interesting mechanics, but these corner jump ones are just too much and can really ruin the flow of gameplay. It's basically the same mechanic they put into MKX but MKX had run and ridiculous pressure, it was arguably bad in that game too but the mechanic just seems out of place in a game like MK11.

I was playing Jade against Scorpion, my gameplan was to play defensively midscreen and to make it count when I was able to get him in the corner. So I'd patiently walk Scorpion to the corner only to be faced with this interactable, in which you wait to react to the regular jump or the divekick. But waiting like that meant getting checked with teleports and made it difficult to really enforce neutral pressure in the corner. So then it's like okay, he has options there so you'll have to get a knockdown and keep up pressure... But then one gap or mistimed oki happens and boom the opponent is back in midscreen.

This game is heavily focused on neutral which is awesome, but there are going to be characters that excel in the corner and this type of interactable is just going to make those character even more polarizing with matchups that vary too heavily depending on the stage. Characters like Bo' Rai Cho and Swamp Thing were really hurt by these interactables.

I am not playing a grappler in tournament anymore because of the corner divekick interactables. Never again will I put all my effort into walking down a zoner just to finally get my chance to start my game only to have them mash out invincible flying divekick into plus frames as many times as they want. That interactable type and any other unlimited corner interactables are broken beyond belief and I have no idea why NRS loves them so much. They are an absolute cancer.

If those remain they should take all 4 bars no bullshit. How NRS thinks flying free escape from the corner you can use multiple times is the same as the -30 on block lance on Shangs Island I will never understand
100%, it's a system mechanic that inconsistently rewards/punishes certain playstyles/characters based on what stage came up in random select and unfortunately those tend to be some of the more interesting characters that are getting hurt by it. It was part of the reason at to why Injustice 2 was so neutral/zoning focused, corner pressure was so inconsistent by stage and it affected character viability.

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I was able to hit people out of corner escapes unless they spent a bar. So....
With a specialty move like spine burst sure. The point is that the corner reversals are by far the most fucked up interactables that change match ups on their own. Why is the interactable that can be used the most times also the safest? The lance doesnt even connect the 2nd hit at max range and is punishable on block but corner escape is not? Where is the logic?

This has been a prominent debate since interactables became a thing in NRS games back in Injustice 1. They were way stronger back then, and have been balanced nicely since then as well. But they were a new mechanic and a a lot of people wanted to allow them to get more evidence that they were actually a problem. Time passed and people kinda just accepted them as part of the meta.

I believe at this point, we can make a more informed decision for MK11. Now, the normal interactables are fine. They are one time uses and aren’t overpowered. However, the real problem is the corner wall run interactables that can be used multiple times in a match. They get you out of the corner for free. At this point I doubt they will change before the game is released. I don’t know of very many, if any, tournament players that are big fans of this mechanic. Maybe some are, but it seems like most tournament players have a consensus view on them.

In MK11, there’s an option to disable them completely. I wish there was a more specific option that you could disable only the corner ones, but it’s an all or nothing thing. So, my vote is that we just disable them completely for tournament mode and tournament play. I don’t think interactables really positively effect the meta in any significant way to keep them enabled.

Now, this is for tournament play only. If you have no interest in playing in tournaments, please do not participate in the poll.

Anyway, what are y’all opinion on this?
These are not injustice 1 unblockable cycling interactibles we’re talking about here. If they were like that then yes I would vote to disable them but they have been normalized

Rude

With a specialty move like spine burst sure. The point is that the corner reversals are by far the most fucked up interactables that change match ups on their own. Why is the interactable that can be used the most times also the safest? The lance doesnt even connect the 2nd hit at max range and is punishable on block but corner escape is not? Where is the logic?

I didn't use spine burst. I was using f2. I don't know what to tell you. They only get two uses with amplify, you can interrupt non-amplify attempts.

Doesn't bother me.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I didn't use spine burst. I was using f2. I don't know what to tell you. They only get two uses with amplify, you can interrupt non-amplify attempts.

Doesn't bother me.
They should be one time use and punishable just like every other interactable in the game