What's new

Throw Changes That Could Really Help the Game

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'm guessing my status update was the source of this conversation.

I still don't agree with throws being crouched and I see no reason parries should fail against them...and teching them? Hope you have godlike reactions for that, 'cause I was never able to get consistent with that shit. Every time I teched a throw, it was by accident.

I'll get used to their current mechanics as they are, though.
I fixed the OP and got rid of being able to crouch them. I have been convinced that this game isn't really made for crouch techs. However teching on reaction is pretty damn easy man. Just test it out in training mode, the window is waaaaay bigger than you think it is.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I'm guessing my status update was the source of this conversation.

I still don't agree with throws being crouched and I see no reason parries should fail against them...and teching them? Hope you have godlike reactions for that, 'cause I was never able to get consistent with that shit. Every time I teched a throw, it was by accident.

I'll get used to their current mechanics as they are, though.

No offense, but I have never heard of a parry beating a throw in any fighting game I've played.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Yeah it's not always going to be done that way, but it is still very consistent. A little too consistent for me to believe that bait techs is that big. I think if the window were reduced by maybe 7-8 frames it would be a lot better.
I think eventually they'll get a lot bigger. As is, no one really throws enough to set up baits.

Also, a big problem with throw techs isn't even the window, it's the fact that the camera pans on every character except for MMH. If you remove that camera pan, it does affect a lot, because people are teching on reaction to the camera pan.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
No offense, but I have never heard of a parry beating a throw in any fighting game I've played.

They could beat throws in MK9, and it was my first serious fighting game (not counting MKDC). That's why this is sort of new to me. I don't care either way, I was just testing shit out today in training mode and was a tad confused.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I think eventually they'll get a lot bigger. As is, no one really throws enough to set up baits.

Also, a big problem with throw techs isn't even the window, it's the fact that the camera pans on every character except for MMH. If you remove that camera pan, it does affect a lot, because people are teching on reaction to the camera pan.
You know I never actually took that into account. That's a pretty solid point.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
'cause I was never able to get consistent with that shit.
It's different when you play a lot of other games where throws are that useful and are harder to tech. Like, I probably wouldn't be decent at teching if it weren't for like Tekken and SFIV (Yes, SFIV).

RM Truth

They could beat throws in MK9, and it was my first serious fighting game (not counting MKDC). That's why this is sort of new to me. I don't care either way, I was just testing shit out today in training mode and was a tad confused.

Didn't know about that, but yes, traditionally throws tend to go through parries.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Yeah but MK9 is an awful fighting game though.

RM Truth

It's different when you play a lot of other games where throws are that useful and are harder to tech. Like, I probably wouldn't be decent at teching if it weren't for like Tekken and SFIV (Yes, SFIV).

Try that shit in Guilty Gear with those nigh 1 frame tech windows on throws.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Depends. Where you always playing Sonya, and/or was she always top tier? If so, then I can definitely have time for that.

Sonya was always top-tier, except back when she was disregarded as "shit-tier" in the first few months of the game.

I still crack up just thinking about it.

Ooooooh, what you guys were ignorant of before your eyes opened to how strong her tits...uh, I mean, how strong she was as a character. :oops:

RM Truth

Sonya was always top-tier, except back when she was disregarded as "shit-tier" in the first few months of the game.

I still crack up just thinking about it.

Ooooooh, what you guys were ignorant of before your eyes opened to how strong her tits...uh, I mean, how strong she was a character. :oops:

She's got some good....uhhhh...bounce in that alternate costume.:oops:

RM Truth

Her alternate's okay, but HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE HER SEXY BLACK LEATHER OUTFIT?!

...ahem, anyway, we seem to be deviating from the topic at hand, so enough of that now.

(some Lead Moderator I am :p )

I feel like I learned something about Blake today, that I didn't want to learn. Real talk though, Mileena was rocking some pretty nice melons herself.