What's new

Thoughts on the community post CEO 2013

VOR

Noob
With CEO 2013 finished up, the community/communities that revolve around IGAU are going a few different ways on their feelings toward the game. If you don't like the game or aren't passionate about it, that's up to you. However, I am writing this to bring up a few points that keep coming up in my head and in discussions with players.

This game is not MK9. For many, including myself, this was their first fighting game to be taken seriously. I left the game, for reasons much worse than why a lot of people claim to be leaving the game now. Glitches, p1 advantage, random frame advantage, not a very good balance, not well dispersed armor across the characters, boring to play and watch etc. etc. I got into other fighters for the first time such as Tekken, Soul Calibur 5, some KOF and very little UMVC3.

There are too many players who want/expect the game to be like MK9, and think because they were good at MK9, they are experts on fundamentals, footsies, and balance. It 's fuuny when people say Mk had more balance. Then there are people say they are tired of seeing BA, Supes, Scorp, GA (Chris G lol) in top 8s. Ok, but what about Ares, Harley, Sinestro, Killer Frost, Batman, Doomsday, Deathstroke, Aquaman, and Green Lantern? What about the inevitable Jokers, Flashes, Catwomans, Wonder Womans, and Batgirls we'll see in the future? That is, if people don't quit.

In this community moreso than others, when someone wins, it's the character who won in people's eyes. There aren't really a ton of players who outspokenly give a player credit OR EVEN THEMSELVES credit for the win. These are the people who make day 3 matchup charts and chose to stunt the growth of their game. Tons of people bitched about the wakeup system before the wakeup buff patch. Yes, a wakeup buff is going to make the neutral game more important and a little more stale. You can't always have both. With the upcoming patch, NRS is working to address MANY of the issues that people have been complaining about since the game's release. So why quit now if these are issues you've been concerned about as well?

If you want to quit because it's not MK, it is what it is. MK is about extreme rushdown, extreme zoning, some armored moves, damage resets, getting the jump in, pokes, and a block button, which is all fun stuff, don't get me wrong. People fail to see that IGAU is more about offensive choreography, crossovers, the air game (which NRS is addressing with the upcoming patch), everyone having armor, ways to nullify pressure, more involved defense, backdashing, reads, 50/50s, vortexes, so what's wrong with all that? It's just DIFFERENT. Does it really sound worse on paper? It's fun to me and others. If u suffer a vortex combo, it is your fault that you even got put into one in the first place. Again, NRS is working to balance Scorpion and Killer Frost. If you nerf more mixup/mindgame/vortex characters you're gonna make the game even more about Superman, Black Adam, and Aquaman.

Chris G is an unbelievable god of defense and fundamentals. The dude wins fucking Divekick tourmaments. What the fuck else do you need besides fundamentals and a bit of dedication to play and win in that game? I feel like people would be more content with the outcome if "Scorpion" DID win CEO. It'd be easier to blame the game and NRS for the problems of the drama queens in this community that way.

With all said, the game is 2 & 1/2 months old. If you don't like it, you don't like it. The people who continue to play will continue to find more shit and enjoy the fun of this game. No hard feelings if you're done with it, but imo you are overlooking a lot and expecting things to follow a familiar logic that your brain is used to. Branch out, don't label yourself a "zoner" or "rushdown" player. Be creative, play dirty, play to win, and have fun. Or move on.

The players who are gonna quit here and now are players who will never amount to any long term success in a game that people will give a damn about. The players who are just whining about how they are quitting (but aren't really) need to grow up and stop holding their breaths in the hopes that mommy nrs will change the game according to their whims.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Good input. I enjoy the game and I am happy its different than mk. I don't want to play another clone of my favorite game. I wanted nrs to try making a different fg and they did. There were some small problems, but most of the stuff people just didn't know how to understand or learn IMO.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I Love the salt, it's too funny, and the Hipocracy,

only thing I don't love is now they will probably nerf Arrow again :(

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
I think the inherent problem with what players saw and CEO and what they expect to see at EVO is absolutely not character wins over player wins, but that the opposite solidifies their fears. No one will claim that Green Arrow is inherently busted or a solid counterpick to Scorpion. Chris G's win is due to him being Chris G, but that's kind of their point - that, as you put it, Chris G was only able to succeed the onslaught of Scorpion because he IS an "unbelievable God of defense and fundamentals". Post CEO, that has now set the standard. Does a player need to be that amazing at defense to even play the matchup against Scorpion? If the answer is yes, it is enough for many players to justify dropping the game.

You raise some good points in your initial post, but this thread will degrade into another salty opinion-shouting contest about the game's viability because your overall message stereotypes all who dislike I:GAU as quitting "because it isn't MK" and their inability to have/develop fundamentals separate from that particular game. It's honestly pretty base and insulting, aside from being not true for a good-sized portion of players who drop the game for other fighters.

VOR

Noob
I think the inherent problem with what players saw and CEO and what they expect to see at EVO is absolutely not character wins over player wins, but that the opposite solidifies their fears. No one will claim that Green Arrow is inherently busted or a solid counterpick to Scorpion. Chris G's win is due to him being Chris G, but that's kind of their point - that, as you put it, Chris G was only able to succeed the onslaught of Scorpion because he IS an "unbelievable God of defense and fundamentals". Post CEO, that has now set the standard. Does a player need to be that amazing at defense to even play the matchup against Scorpion? If the answer is yes, it is enough for many players to justify dropping the game.

You raise some good points in your initial post, but this thread will degrade into another salty opinion-shouting contest about the game's viability because your overall message stereotypes all who dislike I:GAU as quitting "because it isn't MK" and their inability to have/develop fundamentals separate from that particular game. It's honestly pretty base and insulting, aside from being not true for a good-sized portion of players who drop the game for other fighters.

I'll say that I was in support of banning Scorpion, and that the upcoming patch is there to address his issues. He was just too new to be allowed in tournaments right off the bat and needed to be looked at more closely for balancing, to make sure he was ready. I don't want to take away everything he has and nerf him to have him barely ever seen in a tournament though.

There is a good sized chunk of people who constantly make mk9 comparisons and put expectations on IGAU to live up to their preconceived ideas of how it should play. Of course that is not everyone's reason for quitting and not everyone played or cared about MK9. Then, why does it have to be like SF4, or marvel, or tekken, or any other game? Every game has its bullshit with touch of death combos, very hard to deal with characters, high learning curves for something as simple as moving, throw breaking, huge movelists, hundreds of mixups. They all have their lists of annoying, difficult, defensive, and boring things you need to work on.

Regarding Chris G, most people would have crumbled under Noobe's Doomsday at CEO as well. Does a player need that amazing of a defense to consistently place or win at tournaments? It helps obviously. I hear people say, "oh harley did well because she has the shenanigans to handle scorp." What other character's shenanigans are we overlooking that can handle scorp? I can think of a few besides aqua and ww.

I'm not trying to insult people, but there are those who need to look at the game and their mindset more closely if they want to have fun and succeed with it, just like every other game at a high level. There are also people, including me, who feel insulted when others say IGAU takes no fundamentals or footsies to play, it's boring etc. I don't take it personally, but i will argue against it. Not every player can represent every character at every major. There are a lot of good players representing a good amount of characters if you dig a little deeper.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
It's funny that people's first MK was MK9 because it was 2d again. Because they stopped playing MK during the 3d era. I preferred 3D MK because it enabled me to side step zoning. And these are the people bitching that Injustice is not like MK9. Having played MK since 1992, with age, comes experience. Every game is different yo. Good thread.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
One year from now, I expect that tournament players will be regularly modifying their combos "on the fly" for carry distance to carry to interactables, bouncing opponents off interactables mid-combo, and armor b3/f3 through interactables for free combos. At the moment, however, we've seen tutorial videos explaining these, but people are having trouble putting it into practice.

The community is having troubles adapting to the fact that interactables are actually a fundamental part of the gameplay, and not just an addition that should be "banned" during tournament play. This game is very different from any game that has proceeded it, and requires a tonne more practice to be accomplished at it.

Give it time, and Injustice will be one of the most exciting games to watch at a high level, IMHO.