What's new

The XBox One's Official Policies

So you couldn't possibly use such a console for tournaments? If I am MLG or WCG or a regional TO I can't run my 2day event on your console? So there goes a competitive scene for the "exclusive"(kinect?) titles. I'm just asking, I already won't be getting one. I live in an area w/ crap internet wasn't looking forward to it before but everything I've read about this thing is absolutely retarded.
I just wanted to quote this post because it affects the fighting game community the most.

PS4 will be the standard and that's what we all should be buying.

To people who say they don't care about privacy or any level of DRM, good for you doesn't mean you speak for the rest of us. We won't shut up about it just because you don't care. Go sit in the corner that smells like shit because Microsoft said so.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
xWEBSx:
1)You kinda missed the mark there though, for one given the nature of my current employment I will state you shouldn't be putting much personal information on the web, such as facebook and what not and you should be practicing proper internet security.

2)The idea that you have no problem circumventing your freedom and rights for the sake of enterainment is somewhat off, why should you do this, why should this be allowed. So it is ok that if you paid your hard earned money for something that a company can tell you "sorry you are no longer allowed to use that because we don't want you to".

3) You are viewing this from the wrong angle my friend and I am not trying to say you are wrong, I am only trying to sya look at it frrom a different perspective. The perspective your viewing is one-sided and should be viewed from different angles.
Of course.. Not saying right or wrong.. Just a conversation.

1) agreed.. Does not mean many people do however.

2) freedom is a state of mind, not a state of actuality. Someone can live a relatively peaceful existence in a communist society, whereas someone who lives in a free nation may feel oppressed, strife and slight. I believe we are taking the user agreement WAYYYYY too liberally at face value. Just because American states have the death penalty for maximum punishment crimes- does not mean it is used... It is still however an option. Like I said.. Six-seven months into the system life I will review how the system handles.. If games are reported to just go poof for no reason other than because MS says so.. I will research that more closely.. However if games have the "possibility" to have that happen yet never do.. What do I care? I do not see how buying/playing and enjoying games is comparable to rights and freedom (seems like a stretch to me).

3) can't really say there is any different angle for me to look at it as.. Gaming is an expensive hobby.. Having the means and want to do so is my decision. If in the user agreement once I purchase something states that it can be taken away.. If I still chose to buy it.. It is nature of the beast.. But the question comes down to WHY. Why would a business company, allow you to purchase game "X" then take away the ability to play game "X" for a day, week, or permanently.. No company in their right mind would put that into use.. They would lose business and outright fail.. I want to see how it plays out, and how the system performs before making definite judgement.

I don't know why, but I have a strange feeling the PS4 is hiding it's own issues as well. Console gaming in general isn't looking too bright, more like a dark nightmare. I'll wait and see though. :(

Eh. I highly expect consoles to move into a more Steam like direction in due time anyway.

PC gaming hasn't had used game sales for probably close to a decade at this point and the market is fairly friendly to both developers and consumers.

Devs get the money they deserve for making a good product (assuming it was good) and consumers get constant sales and great prices. last time i checked the steam new releases list i didn't see a single 50 to 60 dollar game.

However, when it comes to the Xbox One, I feel it is microsoft and some devs trying to cash in before the digital marketplace becomes the normal (and possibly sole) distribution method for consoles.

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk 2

Steam actually has good deals and is run by an awesome company, Valve.

Microsoft and its competitors will never make such a system work for consumers and force restrictions that are even worse, that is the true danger here.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Steam actually has good deals and is run by an awesome company, Valve.

Microsoft and its competitors will never make such a system work for consumers and force restrictions that are even worse, that is the true danger here.
Gaming is evolving..system and hardware is evolving.. gone are the days of the single cartridge ( broken, good or bad) you get what you buy.. Lets not forget where we came from. If your favorite game on cartridge was bugged, glitched, broken.. You had to deal until the sequel came out, and then fork over more money for a "tournament addition" or "2/3/4".. People tend to idolize the past because they get so jaded by today.. There is always inherent danger in the new and unknown... But without risk there is very often little to no reward.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The funny realization is when at some point.... they use the internet option to simply cut back on how much you can play period

There is a HUGE HUGE thing about exercise and kids playing outside, and not on consoles. lol if they manage to set like an hour and a half playtime with a 3 hour downtime.
GONE ARE THE DAYS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY!!! AND EVEN ADULT HOOD OBESITY.

Your complaints mean nothing to them btw. Because there are more un-informed parents than there are willing consumers. Marketing is a bitch that way.... and I bet half of you buy the console anyway.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I'm curious to know what happens if you don't connect your Xbox online for more than 24 hours.
Here is a quote of what will happen

“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
The funny realization is when at some point.... they use the internet option to simply cut back on how much you can play period

There is a HUGE HUGE thing about exercise and kids playing outside, and not on consoles. lol if they manage to set like an hour and a half playtime with a 3 hour downtime.

Your complaints mean nothing to them btw. Because there are more un-informed parents than there are willing consumers. Marketing is a bitch that way.... and I bet half of you buy the console anyway.
Man.. As a parent myself... I can't even open up this can of worms.. Society is not like it was 10, 20, 30 years ago...kids can't go outside and play anymore because it was not until the 2000's that kids were killed by vehicle strikes, and pedophiles did not exist til around that timeframe as well! Right?! Right?! It makes me sick how much times have changed.. And how a generation of people brought up one way have to raise the next generation completely opposite. No wonder some generations are lost.. It's mass confusion.

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
They have also said now ...no having to check in online and that used games will work the same as this gen...and announced a couple free to play games...
The question is will the games make everyone look past all of this...because even if it don't effect youu now it shows you what direction the companies are going....

Sent under duress.
So Sony is Batman to MS's Regime.:cool:I guess that makes Nintendo Green Arrow.:p

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Here is a quote of what will happen

“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."
If your system is hooked up to your Internet all the time already.. Why would you not be connected at all? Power outage? No form of entertainment will be enjoyed..
Cable provider outage? Really the only true possibility.. And would cause anger if I can't game due to "joes cable system" being down for 48 hrs.
However after years and years I have had an Xbox... I think I can add up the number of times I played Xbox offline for whatever reason to about 24 hrs total.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
If your system is hooked up to your Internet all the time already.. Why would you not be connected at all? Power outage? No form of entertainment will be enjoyed..
Cable provider outage? Really the only true possibility.. And would cause anger if I can't game due to "joes cable system" being down for 48 hrs.
However after years and years I have had an Xbox... I think I can add up the number of times I played Xbox offline for whatever reason to about 24 hrs total.

Look, I can understand their DRM approach. They can even go the iOS route (no resell) for all I care but my main issue here is the internet requirement. I understand the technical part of it and why they want to go that route. Im pretty sure ppl would mind buying a game knowing that they cant resell or trade it in a la steam...it's just that the idea of telling me that I cant play something I already paid for based on something that they are NOT even offering is just plain wrong in my OPINION. My experience recently with hurricane sandy is one of the main reason why I dont like that approach. I was fortunate to have power, hot water etc and the only thing that was down for me was my internet. I had to rely on my phone for web access. It lasted a couple of days if not more than a week. Lucky for me (depends on how you look at it lol) commuting to work wasnt happening and gas was the hardest thing to find in my area. So I was home playing my games. The thought of not even able to do that with the new Xbox is a bit crazy.

Although I am fortunate enough to have the means to pay $100/mo for a measly 50mb/s internet speed, I dont like the idea that using something I OWN depends on it. I mean c'mon you already have your money just leave me the heck alone. The likelihood of me going without internet for a long period of time is rare but not everybody have that luxury. There are plenty of good reasons why it is not good from a business prospective, but hey MS is cocky enough to take that chance, it's there problem. We will just have to see how it plays out.

BTW, after watching the video on used games that Cliff Bleszinski posted on twitter, im all for changing the used game model (and that's coming from a guy who gets most of his games on eBay or Amazon)

http://youtu.be/2G_f8YBy39M

It's just that this model is just the right approach in my opinion

Man.. As a parent myself... I can't even open up this can of worms.. Society is not like it was 10, 20, 30 years ago...kids can't go outside and play anymore because it was not until the 2000's that kids were killed by vehicle strikes, and pedophiles did not exist til around that timeframe as well! Right?! Right?! It makes me sick how much times have changed.. And how a generation of people brought up one way have to raise the next generation completely opposite. No wonder some generations are lost.. It's mass confusion.
Or you could let your kids go outside and become self-sufficient. Technology changes, not even for the best as Apple as proven, but people don't. If parents want their kids to be scared cowards then smothering them is the best way.

Look, I can understand their DRM approach. They can even go the iOS route (no resell) for all I care but my main issue here is the internet requirement. I understand the technical part of it and why they want to go that route. Im pretty sure ppl would mind buying a game knowing that they cant resell or trade it in a la steam...it's just that the idea of telling me that I cant play something I already paid for based on something that they are NOT even offering is just plain wrong in my OPINION. My experience recently with hurricane sandy is one of the main reason why I dont like that approach. I was fortunate to have power, hot water etc and the only thing that was down for me was my internet. I had to rely on my phone for web access. It lasted a couple of days if not more than a week. Lucky for me (depends on how you look at it lol) commuting to work wasnt happening and gas was the hardest thing to find in my area. So I was home playing my games. The thought of not even able to do that with the new Xbox is a bit crazy.

Although I am fortunate enough to have the means to pay $100/mo for a measly 50mb/s internet speed, I dont like the idea that using something I OWN depends on it. I mean c'mon you already have your money just leave me the heck alone. The likelihood of me going without internet for a long period of time is rare but not everybody have that luxury. There are plenty of good reasons why it is not good from a business prospective, but hey MS is cocky enough to take that chance, it's there problem. We will just have to see how it plays out.

BTW, after watching the video on used games that Cliff Bleszinski posted on twitter, im all for changing the used game model (and that's coming from a guy who gets most of his games on eBay or Amazon)

http://youtu.be/2G_f8YBy39M

It's just that this model is just the right approach in my opinion
Used games are just the new boogeyman the gaming industry has created and fools have bought into.

First rentals were going to destroy the industry and that was a lie.

Then pirates were detroying the industry and that was a lie.

Now its used games and also a lie.

Don't spend tens of millions on bloated games with gigantic marketing budgets and companies would always make a profit on quality games.

They won't listen because they think games are movies when they clearly aren't.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Or you could let your kids go outside and become self-sufficient. Technology changes, not even for the best as Apple as proven, but people don't. If parents want their kids to be scared cowards then smothering them is the best way.
Parents are deemed as neglectful and could in some instances get in legal trouble for allowing their children to go outside and be self sufficient..I see it every day in my line of work.. And your line that technology changes an people don't is dead wrong. Kids no longer have the run of the block or neighborhood .. And it isn't due to technological change.. It's a straight society change (aka: people)

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Most of you guys have drunk the kool-aid just like the rest of the Internets...STAHP!

Sony and MS are going to be doing pretty much the same thing when it comes to DRM and preowned games. The console makers are created the hardware means to do what the publishers want. The EA's, the WB's, Activision, they have their demands and are to "blame" just as much as MS is, and how Sony will be.

I've been talking it up for weeks now, gaming is in the midst of an industrial shift; EVERYTHING WILL BE OK...and hopefully better overall.

If you don't like MS and the upcoming Xbox One, that is fine, but done hate on the console just because you think Sony will save you from this inevitable future. They will be doing the same thing...believe it.

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
Most of you guys have drunk the kool-aid just like the rest of the Internets...STAHP!

Sony and MS are going to be doing pretty much the same thing when it comes to DRM and preowned games. The console makers are created the hardware means to do what the publishers want. The EA's, the WB's, Activision, they have their demands and are to "blame" just as much as MS is, and how Sony will be.

I've been talking it up for weeks now, gaming is in the midst of an industrial shift; EVERYTHING WILL BE OK...and hopefully better overall.

If you don't like MS and the upcoming Xbox One, that is fine, but done hate on the console just because you think Sony will save you from this inevitable future. They will be doing the same thing...believe it.
Except Sony's keeping the model it used with the PS3 leaving it up to publishers and not enforcing it's OWN DRM. Except that if the X1's sales are shit these publishers will be at Sony and Nintendo's doorsteps begging to develop on they're consoles.Or we get a repeat of the 80s or consoles die and the PC/ smartphones take over. If they do that's fine I'll just buy Nintendo.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I seriously cannot believe this. What is there rational? Microsoft, get ready to lose alot money and fire half your gaming department.