What's new

Strategy THE WIZARDS WARRIORS: Shazam Mains Unite/Strat discussion

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I'm having some difficulty with Shazam's movement (or this game's movement entirely)

I've had my psycho crusher also go through my opponent multiple times...and it has costed me some rounds.

Sneak

Noob
Hey guys can you add me to the list? I was playing Shazam on Arturo's stream recently and had some pretty high damage combo's and setups.

IIWade3II

Kuff Botal
To begin I wanna main this charater really badly. I have no idea how to start any sort of pressure with this guy his movement seems to be completely different from everyone elses. Im having a hella hard time connecting dbf3 everytime :(. Other than that 1,1 gives a lot of advantage on hit and seems to be good. Ive also been using 2,2 since the first hits mid and if they are crouching or standing I can do the command grab after. His teleport seems to work the best when your near them as a crossup

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
F22 is GODLIKE. Shouting Shazam is possibly the best thing in the game and works from full screen as pure intimidation (Not really to be used from full screen).

I'm trying to find ways of working it into my game. It seems like a nice string, f22 is only -1 on block so it could still work for tic throws, or for a MB f3 overhead follow up. Also, adding the 3 after the f22 does a quick knee forward and is 0 on block so you can follow up with d1 or MB f3. The 3 after f22 can be crouch punished so maybe this is a spot where we can expect them to crouch after f22 then use low grab.

The other thing I've been trying is finding ways to end combos with f22 since I get a mighty Shazam shout, and it leaves the opponent right at my feet with good timing to go into my OKI game.

What do you guys think of this business? I think the shout is too good not to implement.

Rahavic

Noob
First character I picked and the only one I've played so far and been a while since I've found a character I love as much as this big lug <3_<3 Mained!

Rough goings at first since my best friend immediately picked up Sinestro......but I'm workin on that matchup.

Sneak

Noob
You get a guarunteed reset off f 2.2 into the standing command grab since you can grab out of the stun state. I tested it in training mode vs the cpu crouching, jumping, and trying to back dash. You get almost 70% in total using 2 bars with that reset.

IIWade3II

Kuff Botal
F22 is GODLIKE. Shouting Shazam is possibly the best thing in the game and works from full screen as pure intimidation (Not really to be used from full screen).

I'm trying to find ways of working it into my game. It seems like a nice string, f22 is only -1 on block so it could still work for tic throws, or for a MB f3 overhead follow up. Also, adding the 3 after the f22 does a quick knee forward and is 0 on block so you can follow up with d1 or MB f3. The 3 after f22 can be crouch punished so maybe this is a spot where we can expect them to crouch after f22 then use low grab.

The other thing I've been trying is finding ways to end combos with f22 since I get a mighty Shazam shout, and it leaves the opponent right at my feet with good timing to go into my OKI game.

What do you guys think of this business? I think the shout is too good not to implement.
I love the move lol but isnt f2 pretty slow? it might be useful after a jump in

Johnny2d

I love the move lol but isnt f2 pretty slow? it might be useful after a jump in
Sure its slow, but a lot of things are slow. A lot of things are fast too so don't get me wrong, I understand that it gets beat by things, however, we shouldn't dismiss stuff just cause its slow on paper. There's gotta be setups and ways of making the opponent respect other options that allow opportunities for it.

Speaking of opportunities... What are people using for opportunities to use his sparkle hands, er, ah, lightning fists? Seems like after a sweep he can still get punished for activating it so there has to be a better safer time to do it. I get blown up for it :(

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I couldn't execute his DBF1 throw on my 360 controller, so I dropped him for his archnemesis, Black Adam.

:)

IIWade3II

Kuff Botal
Sure its slow, but a lot of things are slow. A lot of things are fast too so don't get me wrong, I understand that it gets beat by things, however, we shouldn't dismiss stuff just cause its slow on paper. There's gotta be setups and ways of making the opponent respect other options that allow opportunities for it.

Speaking of opportunities... What are people using for opportunities to use his sparkle hands, er, ah, lightning fists? Seems like after a sweep he can still get punished for activating it so there has to be a better safer time to do it. I get blown up for it :(
People are still jumping so much I have a hard time getting anything actually started since its all anti-airs and air to airs at the moment it seems :/ i think 1,1 leaves him at +16 idk i forget the number so maybe f2,2 can be used after that

GGA Fill Pops

The Ultimate Bastich

Yo my main BnB uses f22 twice and does good damage. ill go over tht in my strat vid ill have it up this weekend and i also will talk about how to safely cancel into his character power. if you guy have any question that u want me to adress in the vid just pm me.

after doing F223 into Ex Achille's Clutch, linking a second F223 while the opponent is falling seems practically impossible. Very tight link I guess or I don't understand the timing! They either fall, or I hit them with the first part of F2 but the SHAAAZAAAMMM misses :(

Johnny2d

Yo my main BnB uses f22 twice and does good damage. ill go over tht in my strat vid ill have it up this weekend and i also will talk about how to safely cancel into his character power. if you guy have any question that u want me to adress in the vid just pm me.
I've seen f22 auto correct on cross ups several times now. The the first f2 whiffs then he turns around and the second hit, the SHAZAM shout hits, seems hard to do on purpose but possibly worth exploring.

Also, his pressure feels a lot like Liu Kang or Jax pressure. I'm interested to learn about his mixups that don't necessarily rely all on the command grab 50/50. In my experience with grapplers (Hakan and Abel in Sf4) I usually psych myself out too much about needing to get those grabs, that I forget to operate on a pressure/footsies level with normals, hence not really creating the right opportunities to use the strength of the character. With Shazam I want to make sure I give them a reason to fear the normals to open up the grab game. If anyone has any block strings and mixups I'd love to hear what you've got.

Johnny2d

I didn't think this needs to be in your vid but would be good to have in a thread: What moves can be canceled into grabs? What moves can be hit confirmed and canceled into grabs? What moves can't be canceled into grab?

As an example: f12 cancels into grab but I don't think you can confirm if the overhead hits or not before you input the grab... Or can you? I feel like I have to have the entire input in prior to knowing if the overhead hit or not. Maybe my timing is wrong or I just need more practice though. Thats why I ask questions to the experts.

I'm still having trouble getting the grab cancel after f12 and b2, my inputs are lazy from the last two years of input whenever. I'm hitting the training room hard so I can fix my issue but right now I'm not even sure of all the normals that can cancel into the grabs. Also, any tips anyone has for the perfect timing of buffering the dbf1 from canceled normals, I'd love to hear suggestions. I know that it all comes down to repetition and practice in the end though :)

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
Alright guys, after a normal command throw, you are in perfect distance for b2, b2 can only be beaten by ADVANCING wakeup attacks, parries and supers. Since b2 is unsafe on block and can be blocked after the throw, you can torpedo after a blocked b2 and end up in a safe position(you go through them and end up in sweep distance). if you see them doing an advancing wakeup then a simple dash backwards and easy punish. they CANNOT tech roll either. b2 after normal command throw seems to open it up for some pretty nice pressure

also i found that after doing 112 and telepoort towards you are in crossup distance as well as command throw distance

i have more stuff written down which i can put up later if anyone finds this useful.

Anti Airs:
d2, f223 torpedo
d2, f2 low throw
d2, f22 command throw - obviously burn meter and do whatever after ex low/command throw for more damage.

Just keep in mind that psycho crusher/torpedo is punishable by some of the cast incl. GL and Shazam, so you'd want to be careful who you try that on :)

I really like the idea of ending in low grab or sweep for hard knockdown. Ppl have already posted some good low grab setup info here, and the Prima guide mentions the sweep setup. In terms of timing, the low grab one seems easy. Sweep, if you do a d+1 or stance change and immediately follow that with his command grab, if the timing is right it'll grab the opponent on his standing frame. If I just leave it to "feel" I usually end up missing, myself.. for others this probably isnt necessary.

I'll be working on my combos to get them all to end in a low grab or sweep and still do some decent damage.

Johnny2d

Sweep, if you do a d+1 or stance change and immediately follow that with his command grab
If it turns out to be great to use the stance change for the perfect timing on this I will love you forever, I love stance change but hate that it has no use, however part of my love for it is because its useless and I like taunts and stuff. If I can find ways to get multiple Shazam shouts in a bnb plus a stance change I will puke rainbows I'll be so happy.

Haha, well test it out and see if it works. I think I was testing it right, setting the CPU to duck and seeing if I can still grab him on wakeup. I'm not good enough with it yet to record it and test it on myself.. I always mess up the recording.

Also, Atlas Torpedo might end up being a decent anti-wakeup move. If his strategy revolves around forcing the opponent to use wakeup attacks, some of them will obviously be able to be blocked and punished, but not everything. With Atlas Torpedo burning through the opponent's wakeup and making you avoid it, at least you get a return to neutral position. Or you may be able to delay it so it hits the opp. after his invincibility frames.

I really know very little about the wakeup attack properties for each character, I was just testing with a few, and they don't seem to have THAT much invincibility, so... well it's worth testing in the future.

Edit: Tested with Cyborg and Doomsday, if you time the Torpedo to hit as soon as they get up, it will harmlessly pass through their invincible wake-up attacks, including wake-up supers. Not sure how really to use that yet, but it may come in handy.