What's new

The Verdict- PS3 Pad or PDP stick for MK9?

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
Whats up guys, this is my first post so I just wanna say this is the coolest mk site in the world and I'm so glad I finally stumbled upon it. I used to live in MKO but when I found this site this has became my main site. This site has a much more mature and competitive vibe to it its just perfect. And I'd like to say thankyou to all the guys giving their input to the character forums especially Tom Brady. So... onto my matter at hand.

I bought this PDP fight stick and I planned on becoming a beast with it. I used the ps3 pad on the demo and when the game MK9 came out I still used the pad for about a week. Then I tried to switch to the stick and I completely sucked with it. So needless to say I gave it up after 1 day. Been using the pad since. So I have been doing research on arcade sticks religiously and all the info I have read online is that fight sticks are the way to go in a fighting game. I mean if you have time check out what this website has to say about it- http://fighter101.net/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=37.

"It’s very likely that most 2D old school fighting game fans played a few hours at a local arcade, and spent a good share of quarters at least once in their lifetime. But the majority of these players never really spent enough time in the arcades and became alot more skilled with a video game console gamepad because of easier access.

This created the inability for a fair comparison between the two, and lets face it, it probably felt alot easier to get the hang of fighting games on a gamepad than it ever did with the little time you invested playing with arcade sticks.

It’s safe to say for those of us who have invested a lot of time with both devices, that playing a game like Street Fighter feels ALOT different depending on your choice.The experience truly gets hindered by the use of a Console Gamepad. Even if the pad is designed for fighting games, as long as its not an arcade stick you wont reach the same level of control and involvement.

It truly is nearly impossible to get the same level of enjoyment our of a gamepad for many reasons. The arcade stick(a good quality one), allows the player to achieve total control over every move in the game. And this is combined with the other most important part of the experience, and that is the actual sounds that the arcade stick makes when you use it. This creates a perfect blend of visual and aural synchronization that takes the player to another level.

Let’s say that you can get the same level of control and precision on a gamepad. Even if this was possible, there is the undeniable factor that half of the experience is completely missing because of the lack of sound involved. This is not software created sounds we are talking about. It’s the sound the actual arcade stick hardware makes. The clicks the stick gives you, the loud taps that each button provides, it all makes the experience twice as good.

The arcade stick makes the game an actual challenge between your brain and your ability to send quick responsive signals to your hands. You challenge yourself to be as accurate as a robot and never miss a single move. You take the game to a level that becomes highly addictive.

This is something that only those of us who have used both gamepads and arcade sticks can truly understand. And we can assure you that no fighting game fan that has invested enough time mastering both could ever say that a gamepad is the best choice.

Anyway, I have been using the stick for about two weeks. My main character is Sektor. I have been practicing about 2-4 hours a day! I get online with it and I'm getting destroyed by people that should no way possible be beating me. Anytime me and my opponent jump at each other and either jump kick or jump punch I'm the one that gets hit, I lose the jump kick battles every single time! And I been playing mk since 93 and I am pretty dang good at those. Another problem is doing Sektors enhanced teleport punch during juggles, I either completely miss it because I move my wrist wrong, or I just do it too late. I gave up last night while fighting Chickenparmesan, and I think he's a member of this site. I saw this in another thread "That Lao was PerfectLegend, he uses a PS3 pad for MK. Heck, a ton of players are using pad THTB, Brady, Wong, REO... This game doesn't require 360's to be performed hence it being pad friendly." Well, in the video I saw Justin Wong was using an arcade stick. So whats the deal with this thing? Should I give up on this thing and just use the pad? I know its personal preference, but what would you guys do? THTB? Brady? You guys should really know. What does Conqrr use on all those awesome Umk3 combos? Another reason I'm trying to transition to the stick is because the Arcade Collection coming out soon.

Point blank- Is that write up on fighter101.net true? How long should I expect it to take for me to get used to this stick? Is it worth the time? Is there anyone here that is competing at high levels with the PDP stick at all? In your opinion what is the best choice for UMK3 or MK9?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
From what I've read the PDP stick, while having some nice features, needs work - most people recommend replacing the buttons at the very least. I'm a ps3 pad player at the moment, and I don't run into any debilitating problems; Tom Brady and MichaelAngelo use the ps3 pad among other well known tournament players. MK9 unlike AE and MVC3 has no advantage when talking stick over ps3 pad, it's purely preference.

However, if you own a 360, then clearly you need to get a stick because those dpads are horrendous.

Sasuga

Noob
I have a Madcatz TE-S stick which I have been using for months with Super Street fighter 4. I prefer the stick over ps3 pad now but it has taken me quite some time to become adept with it.

When I started playing MK9 I never thought of even playing on pad, but after playing on a pad at a friends house, I think it's better for MK. MK doesn't require the movements SSF does. Moves come out faster on pad, at least for me.

The button layout for the TE stick is different from the PDP stick, but I wonder if that really makes all the difference...

JrK

Probably Drunk
I would like to hear what those people have to say as well. I like both, but I don't know what kind of ps3 pad to use (I heard ds3 was junk for mk).

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I like both, but I don't know what kind of ps3 pad to use (I heard ds3 was junk for mk).
ps2(wired) controllers are the standard from what I understand. Ds3 isn't bad, just not allowed at a lot of tourneys

-b_s- :headbang:

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
It seems like at least some button presses would be almost impossible to do consistently on a pad, like the Kung Lao dial combos that require you to push 1 & 2 rapidly. As far as the directional control goes I doubt it makes much difference either way.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I'm considering a hitbox myself. Got to toy around with one the other day, they are pretty effin sweet.

-b_s- :headbang:

Tim Static

Adminerator
when it comes to an actual MK stick, AIAB is better than PDP imo. Always my first choice, everytime.

but this is all about preference. thats the verdict.

Noob
As much as I hate to write a novel, LOL, your question requires multiple answers.

First and foremost, there is some truth in the article you posted, but much of the article is pure opinion. Ultimately, it's what feels comfortable to you that determines how you play and what your experience will be like. If the article's author feels his experience is enhanced by button and joystick clicks, then that's great for him, but that may not do it for you.

Let me be clear, I am a stick player for all fighting games. I am an old school arcade player(I'm 34) who grew up playing on sticks in the arcade, who was then forced to learn to play on a pad for many years until I re-discovered arcade sticks. I will willingly tell people that there are advantages of using the stick over pad, because using 2 hands cramped into a claw and using just your thumb and forefinger for buttons is less advantageous than having all your fingers available for multiple buttons.

On the other hand, more and more, we are seeing pad players in top 8, winners/losers/grand finals, and winning tournaments. This has dispelled the myth that pad players are not as good as stick players. It really all comes down to preference and comfort.

Now as far as sticks go, the PDP is a great BOX. The build is excellent. The parts in it... not so much. The parts are Suzo-Happ, which are not the same Happ parts from the arcade days of the 90's. You can read about that here: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?2253-A-word-about-Suzo-Happ.

You'll want to switch the Suzo-Happ parts to IL parts as quickly as possible to get the most authentic arcade stick experience available.

Look, as I have said before, it's all preference and nobody will shoot you for not choosing the stick. It's a commitment, for sure, but at least for me, I noticed my game improve tenfold by using the stick. Others won't agree, yet others will agree. I will say, you'll need about a month of ONLY using stick to really give it a fair shot. Your game will go down at first, and you will lose as you get used to it. You will eventually see improvement and, if you do take to the stick, you'll see your game improve. Once you give it a full month, I have a feeling you'll choose the stick over the pad.

Lastly, DO NOT base choosing stick vs pad on online games. You're going to lose to online crap no matter what and players who shouldn't beat you will because of the online environment. Do not base it on that.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
when it comes to an actual MK stick, AIAB is better than PDP imo. Always my first choice, everytime.

but this is all about preference. thats the verdict.
What about all the talk all over the internet about using a fight stick taking your game to a whole nother level? And all the pros-vs-cons using a stick? I understand that its all preference once you have mastered use of the arcade stick. But thats the thing, I haven't. How can it be preference when I wanna throw my arcade stick in the garbage when going through this "steep learning curve"? All the years using the pad and I still miss inputs, makes me believe there is no mastering a pad. Here's a good ?, Take the most efficient pad player vs the most efficient stick player, who is more efficient? This thread needs more input. This site represents the competitive mk community and all street fighter bullish aside, what we wanna know is whats the best experience for mk. I'm not trying to pry answers that arent there and maybe I am, but there is just too much talk going on about fight sticks and I really want to be the best that I can be at MK in the long run.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
As much as I hate to write a novel, LOL, your question requires multiple answers.

First and foremost, there is some truth in the article you posted, but much of the article is pure opinion. Ultimately, it's what feels comfortable to you that determines how you play and what your experience will be like. If the article's author feels his experience is enhanced by button and joystick clicks, then that's great for him, but that may not do it for you.

Let me be clear, I am a stick player for all fighting games. I am an old school arcade player(I'm 34) who grew up playing on sticks in the arcade, who was then forced to learn to play on a pad for many years until I re-discovered arcade sticks. I will willingly tell people that there are advantages of using the stick over pad, because using 2 hands cramped into a claw and using just your thumb and forefinger for buttons is less advantageous than having all your fingers available for multiple buttons.

On the other hand, more and more, we are seeing pad players in top 8, winners/losers/grand finals, and winning tournaments. This has dispelled the myth that pad players are not as good as stick players. It really all comes down to preference and comfort.

Now as far as sticks go, the PDP is a great BOX. The build is excellent. The parts in it... not so much. The parts are Suzo-Happ, which are not the same Happ parts from the arcade days of the 90's. You can read about that here: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?2253-A-word-about-Suzo-Happ.

You'll want to switch the Suzo-Happ parts to IL parts as quickly as possible to get the most authentic arcade stick experience available.

Look, as I have said before, it's all preference and nobody will shoot you for not choosing the stick. It's a commitment, for sure, but at least for me, I noticed my game improve tenfold by using the stick. Others won't agree, yet others will agree. I will say, you'll need about a month of ONLY using stick to really give it a fair shot. Your game will go down at first, and you will lose as you get used to it. You will eventually see improvement and, if you do take to the stick, you'll see your game improve. Once you give it a full month, I have a feeling you'll choose the stick over the pad.

Lastly, DO NOT base choosing stick vs pad on online games. You're going to lose to online crap no matter what and players who shouldn't beat you will because of the online environment. Do not base it on that.
very much appreciated response! Just based on that I will give it another month. Im gonna try to slow it down a bit because i think im getting sloppy with my df-bk inputs to do the teleport uppercut juggles.

JrK

Probably Drunk
Along the lines of the article... what "grips" do you use? I've never used the underhand "wine glass" hold. I always held it like your uh... soda can. I wonder if that will ease the side variability.

REO PS3 pad
Tom B. PS3 pad
Michelangelo PS3 pad
Perfect Legend PS3 pad
Chris G PS3 pad
Hugo PS3 pad
THTB PS3 pad (not sure)

J Wong stick
Flo stick
Alex stick
LI JOE stick
Dar Rob stick
Aris stick
KB stick

so I guess it's mixed up

Noob
Along the lines of the article... what "grips" do you use? I've never used the underhand "wine glass" hold. I always held it like your uh... soda can. I wonder if that will ease the side variability.
You really can't use the wineglass grip with a PDP or any bat top stick. I pretty much use a grip similar to holding a baseball, but my pointer and middle finger are loose, not curved around the stick. I basically have the bat top between my pointer and thumb, with my middle finger loose, and my ring and pinky on the stick as support...so it's kinda like a hybrid baseball/pool cue grip. As for anything Happ/IL, you won't be using it anything like a Sanwa... there is a lot more resistance on the spring, so you will be using more forearm in the motions as opposed to all wrist and fingers like you would with a Sanwa.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I personally play on a PS2 pad. In fact I just ordered an Inpin and a eTokki 360 converter. But I can use stick if I really wanted to.

It's all preference, really.

JrK

Probably Drunk
You really can't use the wineglass grip with a PDP or any bat top stick. I pretty much use a grip similar to holding a baseball, but my pointer and middle finger are loose, not curved around the stick. I basically have the bat top between my pointer and thumb, with my middle finger loose, and my ring and pinky on the stick as support...so it's kinda like a hybrid baseball/pool cue grip. As for anything Happ/IL, you won't be using it anything like a Sanwa... there is a lot more resistance on the spring, so you will be using more forearm in the motions as opposed to all wrist and fingers like you would with a Sanwa.
Ahhh. I've not used one with a bat top stick. (Still new to sticks) I have the newer Hori box with the sanwa (Ball stick) parts.

I might have to try a ps2 pad. I've only used the ds3. Thank you!

cool cool, how long have you been using sticks? how long did it take u to get used to the pdp?
Well, I was playing SF2 in the arcade in 1991 and MK in the arcade in 1992 and when I say "played", I mean I played 4-5 days a week for years. So I can't say how long it will take you to get use to it. I definitely think sticks are better than pads, but that is just my opinion because I grew up playing on stick.

I actually hold the stick between my middle and ring fingers.

JrK

Probably Drunk
Well, I was playing SF2 in the arcade in 1991 and MK in the arcade in 1992 and when I say "played", I mean I played 4-5 days a week for years. So I can't say how long it will take you to get use to it. I definitely think sticks are better than pads, but that is just my opinion because I grew up playing on stick.

I actually hold the stick between my middle and ring fingers.
Palm down?

Palm down?
ummm..no, I guess I hold it like you described a soda can. the left side of my hand is on the base and the stick itself is in between my ring and middle finger. it might be the "wine glass" thing you were describing, except I can't have the stick in between my pinky and ring finger....it has to be between the ring and middle finger.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
AlRight, I have one last question (I think) for the veteran mk style stick users. On the buttons do you use 1 finger for each button like have a designated finger per button? Or some thing else? I've been using my thumb for run and bottom left, middle finger for block, pinky for bottom right, ring finger for top right, and pointer for top left.

pad if in comparison to ONLY the mk9 pdp, because i hear the buttons jam quick on it. However vs a stick like madcatz te, hrap v3, quanba etc, imo the stick is MUCH better. everything feels smoother but its hard to get used to, especially blocking and grabbing with your pinky finger :confused:. imo

New member! Hey guys comin over from TRMK!
I too have been thinking about snatching up a stick whenever the PDP klassic MK stick drops. And Im concerned as well about wether 1: Its worth the investment. alot of people have been complaining about sticks breaking after a month or two of use. and 2: If its gonna take forever to get used too. I grew up in arcades as well. Im 27 and have been playing MK since I was 8 when the original came out. But this game in comparison to the klassic MK games is alot more technical. Your fingers are getting much more of a work out and its way faster paced than any other MK. Im less worried about acclimating to playing with the stick Im just worried if its worth the investment. I have 3 kids and dont wanna throw 130 dollars down the drain on a stick thats gonna breakdown after a month. So has anyone had these kinds of problems with their fight sticks messing up?

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
New member! Hey guys comin over from TRMK!
I too have been thinking about snatching up a stick whenever the PDP klassic MK stick drops. And Im concerned as well about wether 1: Its worth the investment. alot of people have been complaining about sticks breaking after a month or two of use. and 2: If its gonna take forever to get used too. I grew up in arcades as well. Im 27 and have been playing MK since I was 8 when the original came out. But this game in comparison to the klassic MK games is alot more technical. Your fingers are getting much more of a work out and its way faster paced than any other MK. Im less worried about acclimating to playing with the stick Im just worried if its worth the investment. I have 3 kids and dont wanna throw 130 dollars down the drain on a stick thats gonna breakdown after a month. So has anyone had these kinds of problems with their fight sticks messing up?
Well, as far as the stick breaking, they're telling us to swap the parts out with I.L. parts asap. And I have been playing with it for about 2 weeks and I'm getting better and better. I was actually landing 44% combos online with sektor the night I made this thread, which is something I wasn't able to do before. So, I'm still improving for sure. I'm having problems capitalizing on my punishing still. This game being more technical and fast pace is even more the reason to use 5 fingers instead of 1 or 2 IMO.

Another question I have is, should I or should I not rest my left wrist on the stick?