What's new

Guide - Pumped Up The Ultimate Pumped Up Guide

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
These past few days I've been putting in a ton of work on Jax, and will be updating the guide as soon as I get home. However, I did want to go ahead and post one thing I've been working on:

Jax's standing 1 is a great anti-air (it even beats out Sonya's dive kick), and it leads to 30% midscreen damage. In the corner, though, you can actually run-cancel a standing 1 anti-air into a throw. This means whenever an opponent tries to jump out of the corner you can do standing 1-RC-back throw to send them back into the corner. Better yet, you can meter-burn the throw and force them to guess your 50/50 or eat 40+% damage!

If you don't want to use meter, you can just uppercut. Whether it keeps then in the corner or send then middle screen, you can combo into f21-11-f21~db1 for 33% damage.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've updated the "General Strategies" section, and started working on the Matchups section. Right now I only have notes for Sub, Mileena, Lao, Jin, and Scorpion; please let me know what characters you want covered and I'll try to get to them sooner rather than later. Thanks!

I've updated the "General Strategies" section, and started working on the Matchups section. Right now I only have notes for Sub, Mileena, Lao, Jin, and Scorpion; please let me know what characters you want covered and I'll try to get to them sooner rather than later. Thanks!
Thanks a lot for this guide, man. I've recently picked up Jax as a "next" character as I like to at least learn the basics of them all and your thread is one of the best laid out and easiest to follow from all the guides on TYM. I do have two questions.

1. I have a hard time landing the f212-d1d2-11-11-124~db1 in the corner on Mileena. Is this due to the female hitbox and should I avoid the combo on females or do you find that it is reliable and I'm likely just miss-timing? Is this truly the best string against her in the corner or are there safe alternatives?
  2. The mid screen run cancels are rough. Do the Mileena anti-air combos you listed require run cancels or just the advancing of f21? (ex: 12~MB.bf2d-f21-11-f21~db1 for 38%)
Thanks in advance!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thanks a lot for this guide, man. I've recently picked up Jax as a "next" character as I like to at least learn the basics of them all and your thread is one of the best laid out and easiest to follow from all the guides on TYM. I do have two questions.

1. I have a hard time landing the f212-d1d2-11-11-124~db1 in the corner on Mileena. Is this due to the female hitbox and should I avoid the combo on females or do you find that it is reliable and I'm likely just miss-timing? Is this truly the best string against her in the corner or are there safe alternatives?
  2. The mid screen run cancels are rough. Do the Mileena anti-air combos you listed require run cancels or just the advancing of f21? (ex: 12~MB.bf2d-f21-11-f21~db1 for 38%)
Thanks in advance!
Thanks!

1) I'd leave out the 2nd 11, so just do f212-d1d2-11-124~db1. Which part are you having trouble connecting? Overall, it just takes practice and you should be able to do it consistently on Mileena or any other character.

2) The anti-air combos do not require run cancels. Any combo that requires a run cancel will include "RC" in the combo notation. The 12~MB.bf2d combo does require a run cancel, but it's consistent on all characters.

[Edit]: Just realized I forgot to include the RCs in notation in the Mileena section. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks!

1) I'd leave out the 2nd 11, so just do f212-d1d2-11-124~db1. Which part are you having trouble connecting? Overall, it just takes practice and you should be able to do it consistently on Mileena or any other character.

2) The anti-air combos do not require run cancels. Any combo that requires a run cancel will include "RC" in the combo notation. The 12~MB.bf2d combo does require a run cancel, but it's consistent on all characters.

[Edit]: Just realized I forgot to include the RCs in notation in the Mileena section. Thanks for the heads up!
Haha, funny enough I didn't even realize the RC was suppose to be in there. I will keep trying the d1d2 combo. I seem to mess up the part between the dash and the low punches themselves and then the part between 124 and db1. I am sure i will figure it out. I havent tried doing many RC midscreens yet as that seems to be the hardest part so I want to get to that eventually but I think I'll lock down this low first. Cheers!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Haha, funny enough I didn't even realize the RC was suppose to be in there. I will keep trying the d1d2 combo. I seem to mess up the part between the dash and the low punches themselves and then the part between 124 and db1. I am sure i will figure it out. I havent tried doing many RC midscreens yet as that seems to be the hardest part so I want to get to that eventually but I think I'll lock down this low first. Cheers!
Oh, there's no dash in the f212 corner combo. It's just f212, then the d1d2 to kind of pick them up so you can connect the 11 and finally the 124~db1. The 124~db1 should all be one continuous input. If the db1 is whiffing, that probably means you're doing the 11 a bit too late and she's falling too low when you start the 124.

Oh, there's no dash in the f212 corner combo. It's just f212, then the d1d2 to kind of pick them up so you can connect the 11 and finally the 124~db1.
Got it. I meant the RC in general is something I haven't practiced and want to get to after I get the F212~d1d2 down but i appreciate the clarification. I use my old stick that I use for KoF and running will never feel very natural in MK with one of those for me it seems. ^_^

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The guide on youtube is dead! will it make a come back? or are your secrets meant to be kept silenced?
Updated videos are being uploaded, and will be plugged into the written guide shortly. Thanks!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Alright, the new videos have been uploaded to Youtube and plugged into the written guide. Part 4 still has a few minutes of processing left. Please let me know if there's anything I left out. Thanks!

aliou

Noob
Awesome thread dude. Best guide I ever read on this site.

I have a question to 11 and F21.
You said F21 is his best string.

Should I start a mix up with 11, F21(because its fast) or F21,11?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Awesome thread dude. Best guide I ever read on this site.

I have a question to 11 and F21.
You said F21 is his best string.

Should I start a mix up with 11, F21(because its fast) or F21,11?
I said it was arguably his best string; it depends heavily on the matchup and circumstances. F21 is an amazing whiff punisher. 11 is an amazing 6-frame pressure tool. I like using f21 to get in, but it loses to low pokes, so characters like Kano, Sub, and even Jax can keep that from happening with their d4's. Typically if you are within 11 range, then that's going to be your better option. It's 7 frames faster and leaves you more advantageous on both block and hit. Just remember to mix it up and keep your opponent guessing.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Awesome guide man, big thanks! I was looking for another character to play and I think I just found one. Gonna be reading the hell out of this in the upcomming days!

aliou

Noob
I mean which 50/50 is most effective and difficult to block.

With 50/50 I mean to open a string with a low or an overhead attack.

e.g. B2F2D. Is this Jax best B2 50/50?

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Well if you option select bf2d it is the best overhead option since b2 is less punishable on block than raw bf2d. But the thing is this is not his "best 50/50", just his safest overhead starter.

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
After B2F2D,11,11 in the corner I never hit B34. Is that timing so fucking strict?
You can leave out the second 11 to make it much easier and you only lose 1%, I believe.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I mostly see people using Heavy Weapons and the Wrestler variations. Why should I use Pumped Up over these other two?
Pumped Up has more versatility across the screen distances, and is much less meter reliant than wrestler.
Ground pounds hit full screen, EX ground pound otgs for a bonus 10% off of any anti-air, including an anti-air energy wave projectile from any range.Pumped Up's gotcha grab does much more meterless damage and restands the opponent, leaving Jax at +4. This gives Pumped Up Jax a better corner game for less meter.
And meter burn Gotcha Extreme is also worth it, it adds as much damage as two ex gotcha's in wrestler or heavy weapons.