What's new

The Ultimate Kano Guide

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
So, I'm going to leave my whining of the knife nerf in the other thread and instead list the good things I still like about Kano:
1 - Airball is a great anti-zoning tool against most zoners (except those with air fireballs)
2 - b112 is a great string; + on block, hit confirms into a juggle combo, and has great priority
3 - b1 by itself is good for tick throws
4 - jump kick to air throw is nice for those who like to d1/3/4 a cross-up; plus, he says "bitch" when he does the air-throw ;)
5 - d1 is 6 frames and is great for checking people
6 - upball has only 12 frames of recovery, which is pretty good
7 - knife does 9% damage and has a cool sound effect :)
8 - choke and upball are great wake-up attacks
9 - X-Ray grab is awesome
10 - Kano's beard is still S-tier; something Kung Lao can't reproduce
On a side-note, Xstatic, I loved your post about Kano's good points in the Kano Players thread! Seriously, the main reasons I play Kano are because he calls people bitches and spits on them. I've messed around with other characters, but they just don't have enough personality (any personality...) to keep me coming back. And the knife sound effect is very satisfying.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
IMPORTANT!!
MAKE SURE U DO A BACK-THROW INSTEAD OF FATALITY, THEN KANO SPITS IN OPPONENTS FACE!!

THIS IS GREAT!!

;)
Hahaha! That's awesome! I'm definitely going to remember that. I also love to do EX Choke as my finisher so he strangles them and calls them a bitch. Even normal Choke is good enough because of the sound they make when being strangled. Thanks for the post!

Xstatic

Noob
Check out kombo #3. It doesn't involve the 212 chain. It's basically the same kombo as the one you listed but with fewer hits and more damage, making it the better choice. Yours still sounds like a solid kombo, but there's really no reason to use it in place of kombo #3. As far as the 2-1-2 kombo you're referring to (kombo #5), it does 37%, so your losing 6% damage with the d1 Upball kombo. I can totally understand if you have trouble connecting the 2-1-2 after the b1-1-2 chain because of the strict window of opportunity (it's totally worth the practice!), but even if that's the case you're still better off with kombo #3 which doesn't require the 2-1-2 chain or a second dash. I'll mess around with your kombo and if it seems to have any properties that make it stand out (like being safer than the other options) then I'll get it posted. Thanks for the info!
My combo does 35% with a jump-in, 31% without. Combo 3 does 32% with a jump-in and 29% without. My bad for not putting in the jump-in values.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
My combo does 35% with a jump-in, 31% without. Combo 3 does 32% with a jump-in and 29% without. My bad for no putting in the jump-in values.
Ah, that makes sense. I totally forgot about the additional jump-in damage.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Kano's combos really are a pain in the ass online, especially considering that the character needs to be a certain height to link the majority of his strings.

Xstatic

Noob
On a side-note, Xstatic, I loved your post about Kano's good points in the Kano Players thread! Seriously, the main reasons I play Kano are because he calls people bitches and spits on them. I've messed around with other characters, but they just don't have enough personality (any personality...) to keep me coming back. And the knife sound effect is very satisfying.
LMAO! Some people like to play with style; I like to play with attitude! BITCH!

Xstatic

Noob
Kano's combos really are a pain in the ass online, especially considering that the character needs to be a certain height to link the majority of his strings.
Yeah, it's true. Even offline, his combos can be missed at the most inopportune times. So, I tried developing more consistent combos last night. You can use the same follow up in my combo after a f3b2. I tried this stuff out online, and it made my Kano a lot better. I know that 212 in combos isn't that hard at all and I can do it pretty well, but I've lost matches by dropping that part. 2% less damage doesn't seem so bad when I consider the matches I've lost or the damage I've missed because of a 212 whiff.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, it's true. Even offline, his combos can be missed at the most inopportune times. So, I tried developing more consistent combos last night. You can use the same follow up in my combo after a f3b2. I tried this stuff out online, and it made my Kano a lot better. I know that 212 in combos isn't that hard at all and I can do it pretty well, but I've lost matches by dropping that part. 2% less damage doesn't seem so bad when I consider the matches I've lost or the damage I've missed because of a 212 whiff.
I can definitely relate to that.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
I have a VERY hard time dashing into the B1, 1, 2 combo because its a dash followed by a backward movement, any tips?

Also, any tips on how to do the F3, B2 combo more effectively? I usually can land the F3 but when I B2 it hits about 50% of the time. I was wondering if anyone knew any special technique to doing this?

Thanks, and EXCELLENT guide, Kano is a MONSTER

Xstatic

Noob
I have a VERY hard time dashing into the B1, 1, 2 combo because its a dash followed by a backward movement, any tips?

Also, any tips on how to do the F3, B2 combo more effectively? I usually can land the F3 but when I B2 it hits about 50% of the time. I was wondering if anyone knew any special technique to doing this?

I have a feeling you're doing the b2 too slowly after the f3. Don't try to hit-confirm it. As for the b112 after the dash, just do it quickly. You just need to get used to using b112. It will become second nature eventually.

lazybird123

I have a feeling you're doing the b2 too slowly after the f3. Don't try to hit-confirm it. As for the b112 after the dash, just do it quickly. You just need to get used to using b112. It will become second nature eventually.
Thanks bro, I guess I just need more practice, but I thought there maybe something I don't know like not having to press 2 to get the upball when you do a B1, 2, D, F, combo ender

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter

You can buffer the dash by doing the input during the final strike of b1-1-2. If done correctly you will finish all inputs (including the dash) and there will be a slight delay while Kano finishes his last strike and then dashes. That way there is a slight pause between when you input the dash command and when you start the follow-up b1-1-2 chain. I recommend practicing b1-1-2-dash over and over until you figure out the earliest you can input the dash command so that Kano actually does it after his b1-1-2 chain. As far as the f3-b2 chain goes, it just takes practice. Eventually it will be ingrained into your muscle memory and you won't even think about it. When I do f3-b2 from a JP starter, I hold forward during the jump and press 2 (or 1, any punch will do) and then 3, like I'm doing a chain. So it would look like J-f2-f3. As you land you can input the b2. It just takes practice and repetition like anything else. Where it gets tricky is when performing a cross-up because your forward and back switch halfway through the jump. Practice this extensively so you don't lose your offense anytime you cross up your opponent. I hope that helps (and wasn't as confusing as it sounded when i was writing it...). Good luck!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Well my 250gb xbox 360 slim has stopped working (for the 4th time...) so it's going to be a few weeks before I can work on my character-specific Kano guide. I'll still be researching information on characters to figure out the best strategies for beating them, but it will all be theoretical until I can put that information into practice. If you have any advice to fighting specific characters with Kano please share your information. Thanks!

lazybird123

Well my 250gb xbox 360 slim has stopped working (for the 4th time...) so it's going to be a few weeks before I can work on my character-specific Kano guide. I'll still be researching information on characters to figure out the best strategies for beating them, but it will all be theoretical until I can put that information into practice. If you have any advice to fighting specific characters with Kano please share your information. Thanks!
Man, what a bummer. I invite you to convert to Playstationism :)

Thanks a lot for your tips, unfortunately its early in the day so I won't get to put them in to practice yet.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Man, what a bummer. I invite you to convert to Playstationism :)

Thanks a lot for your tips, unfortunately its early in the day so I won't get to put them in to practice yet.
Ha, I was waiting for that... I had a ps3 for about a month. I hated it so much I sold it to a buddy. It was good timing too, because it was right before PSN went down. I can totally understand how people would be against Xbox based on the unreliability of the system, but I am still in love with mine (when it works...).

Xstatic

Noob
I like the guide, but I think Kano's mix-ups aren't that bad. I use b1 into grab A LOT. It's great because even if b1 hits, the grab will still get them. The recovery off of b1 is so damn quick that it's hard to know whether a grab is coming or not. I get more grabs with Kano than any other character I use. B1 is a great poke in general. For pressure I usually do b112 followed by a d1 for a frame trap or the previously mentioned b1 into grab.

I know you meantioned meaty sweep in the guide, but I want to stress how good it is especially against Noob. You'll hit him out of his upknee wake-up as long as you have enough range. I wouldn't say the sweep is fast, but it has crazy range and lowers his hitbox quite a bit. I need to use it more.

I don't find myself using f3b2 or b23 as much anymore. I don't really see the need for them.

Do you guys ever use EX moves? I'm thinking EX choke would be a decent way to use it.

Back throw fatality is sweet as mentioned above so you can spit on them, but if you have meter holding an EX ball is pretty funny too. For the lulz!

I've been using my new combo in practice, and I never miss it unless there is awful lag. Offline, I never miss it. My Kano is a lot more consistent now. I'm not going back to the old combo.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I like the guide, but I think Kano's mix-ups aren't that bad. I use b1 into grab A LOT. It's great because even if b1 hits, the grab will still get them. The recovery off of b1 is so damn quick that it's hard to know whether a grab is coming or not. I get more grabs with Kano than any other character I use. B1 is a great poke in general. For pressure I usually do b112 followed by a d1 for a frame trap or the previously mentioned b1 into grab.

I know you meantioned meaty sweep in the guide, but I want to stress how good it is especially against Noob. You'll hit him out of his upknee wake-up as long as you have enough range. I wouldn't say the sweep is fast, but it has crazy range and lowers his hitbox quite a bit. I need to use it more.

I don't find myself using f3b2 or b23 as much anymore. I don't really see the need for them.

Do you guys ever use EX moves? I'm thinking EX choke would be a decent way to use it.

Back throw fatality is sweet as mentioned above so you can spit on them, but if you have meter holding an EX ball is pretty funny too. For the lulz!

I've been using my new combo in practice, and I never miss it unless there is awful lag. Offline, I never miss it. My Kano is a lot more consistent now. I'm not going back to the old combo.
I'll have to try the b1 poke maneuver. That sounds really useful!

I don't use f3b2 as much as other maneuvers but that's mainly just because I'm more comfortable with those other maneuvers. I think once f3b2 becomes 2nd nature it will be a valuable asset to my Kano game.

I never use EX moves. Period.

What's your new kombo?

Xstatic

Noob
My new combo is the one I posted before: b112, ff, b112, ff, d1~upball. 31% regular; 35% after a jump-in. It's working really well because if the last part(s) of the first b112 hits, the second b112 afterwards can be hit a lot later than 212 would, so it gives extra time to react.

B1 into grab is awesome! I've been doing it for a very long time, and it makes my offense pretty dangerous.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
My new combo is the one I posted before: b112, ff, b112, ff, d1~upball. 31% regular; 35% after a jump-in. It's working really well because if the last part(s) of the first b112 hits, the second b112 afterwards can be hit a lot later than 212 would, so it gives extra time to react.

B1 into grab is awesome! I've been doing it for a very long time, and it makes my offense pretty dangerous.
I'm unable to test this as my 360 is in repair, but could you theoretically link the d1 into the 2-1-2 as opposed to another b1-1-2?

Xstatic

Noob
I'm unable to test this as my 360 is in repair, but could you theoretically link the d1 into the 2-1-2 as opposed to another b1-1-2?
I doubt it since the first hit of 212 has a high hitbox, but I will try it later tonight. Using a d1 at the beginning of a combo might scale the combo too much though. Either way, I'm having too much success with this combo, so I'm sticking with it.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I doubt it since the first hit of 212 has a high hitbox, but I will try it later tonight. Using a d1 at the beginning of a combo might scale the combo too much though. Either way, I'm having too much success with this combo, so I'm sticking with it.
Sounds good. I can't wait to try it out as soon as I get my 360 back.

Brahma

Noob
Nice combo. I've been using b+112, b+112, ball which does the same damage, but leaves them really far away. The d+1,upball ender leaves them close for pressure afterwards.

Also been using b+112, dash, b+11 into choke or knife. Both do less damage, but set up different wakeup situations. I don't know how good choke ender is for wakes, but it doesn't allow backroll, which could be useful, not sure if wakeup attacks have armor properties after this knockdown either. Knife gives you a lot of advantage to set up something. It's possible he can set up some meaty jumpins off of this.

Also sweep as a fatality has him spit on their chest/back. I usually end with choke, ex if I have the meter.

Xstatic

Noob
Nice combo. I've been using b+112, b+112, ball which does the same damage, but leaves them really far away. The d+1,upball ender leaves them close for pressure afterwards.

Also been using b+112, dash, b+11 into choke or knife. Both do less damage, but set up different wakeup situations. I don't know how good choke ender is for wakes, but it doesn't allow backroll, which could be useful, not sure if wakeup attacks have armor properties after this knockdown either. Knife gives you a lot of advantage to set up something. It's possible he can set up some meaty jumpins off of this.

Also sweep as a fatality has him spit on their chest/back. I usually end with choke, ex if I have the meter.
Thanks! I use the d1 because upball is harder to use in the combo now that the start-up frames have increased. That's cool about the knife ender! I'm going to try that out. It has the extra benefit of not being breakable at the end, which could come in handy! Choke is weird in that it has a lot of recovery on hit. Seems pretty meh for oki situations.

Choke a bitch fatality is a classic. Can't go wrong with that one.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thanks! I use the d1 because upball is harder to use in the combo now that the start-up frames have increased. That's cool about the knife ender! I'm going to try that out. It has the extra benefit of not being breakable at the end, which could come in handy! Choke is weird in that it has a lot of recovery on hit. Seems pretty meh for oki situations.

Choke a bitch fatality is a classic. Can't go wrong with that one.
I've found the same to be true about Choke as an ender. The recovery on hit is just too long to keep up good pressure.