What's new

The Power Nth -- Hawkgirl General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no idea if this is known since I just picked up hawkgirl literally 5 min ago and havent read anything on these forums, but if you choose to end an air combo with j.2 xx j.d3, you get a free safejump by just holding upforward....very similar to ryus sweep > safejump in sf4. just saying.

Also, since im here, could someone relate hawkgirl to another character from a different series? preferably from the SF4, 3s, or MvC series. Thanks yall

edit: nvm, not a safejump setup. I thought it was, but I was very wrong lol. Deathstroke gets a free sword spin before you land....but its close.

double edit:

Also, if you choose to end an air chain with j.2 xx flight > Fly 2, you can cancel the fly 2 into downward mace throw and youll catch them on roll back or regular wakeup. You can adjust the timing to catch whatever you think theyll do. Also, It seems pretty safe considering how far away she is (if you mistime it and the mace whiffs). If the mace DOES hit, it hits as an overhead, for an additional unscaled 7%. For example:

1-2-3 > 1-2-3 > j.2 xx fly > fly 3 (28% damage)
1-2-3> 1-2-3 > j.2 xx fly > fly 2 xx downward mace (26% + 7% > 33% total)

just something I was messing with and it looked interesting

oh, it also leaves you in flight mode, you can move freely pretty much right after the mace hits / is supposed to hit, and it beats some wakeup reversals......well, it beats deathstrokes wakeup sword flip clean at least.....his wakeup sword spin makes the mace whiff, but youre both at a neutral in that situation.

Idk, just trying to be helpful / post anything I find lol

GaoMatsu

Noob
Im really liking WE2 as an oki option. It dodges some reversals, positive on block, and you can get it to crossup. Im kinda playing her as a hit and run vortex character now. Off of knockdown I do:

Instant j.d3
Instant j.d3 crossup
sweep
grab
WE2
WE2 crossup
- if WE2 is blocked you can go for a grab or a frame trap because its positive.
MC for baiting reversals and mashing on wakeup.
WE3 for baiting reversals and mashing/jumping on wakeup.
- if WE3 is blocked you can go for a grab or a frame trap.
- if WE3 is ducked it will crossup and leave you right next to them.

Thats a good amount of options imo. I've literally taken down 70% from just guessing right on the j.d3/sweep mixup. If anything gets blocked, its all pretty safe. The most unsafe thing is probably j.d3. Once you get blocked, I just run away and start the hit and run game again lol.

Also, Ive been making a wishlist for Hawkgirl if they ever change her in a patch. So far on my wish list is:

- Give the MB version of one of her moves a wall/ground bounce. Shes like one of the only characters that doesnt have this.
- Give her an OTG move she can combo off of and make j.d3 cause hard knockdown. Maybe let her shoot lasers from her fingers.
- Give her some better air and or flying moves. For a character whos whole gimmick is flying, her air normals are pretty underwhelming.

Id ask for better range, but I think that would be too much.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This character is too fun. I do think compared to the rest of the cast she is underpowered but she has some dirty grit just itching to be used

Espio

Kokomo
Is it just me or do the rest of you guys find getting big damaging combos to be a rare occurrence? My current bnb's don't do much damage at all, but opening people up seems rather tricky....and I know she was stated to be more or less a hit and run character, which is fine. I just feel like I win off slowly chipping people away in most cases.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Is it just me or do the rest of you guys find getting big damaging combos to be a rare occurrence? My current bnb's don't do much damage at all, but opening people up seems rather tricky....and I know she was stated to be more or less a hit and run character, which is fine. I just feel like I win off slowly chipping people away in most cases.
Look at the videos I posted on the battle gameplay thread, you can count how many combos I did on one hand.

Imo the only practical combos are AA d2 combos.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
She's just not a damage character I guess. I mean, you can get 20% of a simple d1 with xxFly 2 MC, but she thrives off of keep away zoning and wakeup pressure. It'd be nice if they made some changes to give her a little more damage on her opportunities, but I don't think she necessarily needs it. She's pretty good with what she's got.

Also, I notice that using WE3 after a blocked string sets up a throw nicely.

Eddyward

Noob
If I'm against someone who can easily get hit by this combo, I would totally use it. I recorded it on Lex Luthor cause I like the sound of him getting smacked by that mace, but I forgot about character hitboxes! Unfortunately it doesn't land on some small characters.

Other than that, my only BnBs are:
12, WE2, 123, JI2, BF2 (30%)
123 , B3 , J3 , F13 xx BF2 (35%)

With the occasional meter burn on BF2. Not such big damage, as you said.. but that's all I have that's not incredibly difficult to execute, like much of her stuff, cause I mess up a lot. :p I'm still trying to find combos like the first one that reliably hit all size characters, and some other meterless stuff that involves dash cancelling. I have an idea that will hopefully work; I'll try when I get home from school. Definitely a rare occurrence for big damaging combos, makes me a little sad :( but I have hope!

EDIT: I think if they make her Mace Toss into Upward MB Charge more able to hit any sized opponent, her combo potential will instantly shoot up with just using 1 meter. Just that one move can do that.

I found a cross up set up for j3. Do 123 j2 jd3, jump over and do a j3. Doesn't seem to work against Doomsday. Work on Luthor and various others. If they wake up reversal, the reversal goes in the opposite direction, often punishable with a Mace Charge.

If you land the cross up j3, you can do a 123 combo of sorts.

EDIT: the cross up set up works pretty well with a universal overhead (f3). f3 123 j2 jd3 jump over j3 for the cross up

Am I the only person who thinks her husband is boring? I think she could do better than that. Her relationship with green lantern in that animated series was pretty cool. Also, was hawkgirl and hawkman inspired by the hawkmen from flash gordon or is it the other way round?

The_Greatest_Username

Reincarnated Member
Am I the only person who thinks her husband is boring? I think she could do better than that. Her relationship with green lantern in that animated series was pretty cool. Also, was hawkgirl and hawkman inspired by the hawkmen from flash gordon or is it the other way round?
They were probably inspired by the hawkmen from Flash Gordon. Old comic strips had a habit of basing character off one another. Shazam/Captain Marvel was greatly inspired by Superman, for example.

You might not have read the good Hawkman stories. You might want to read Hawkworld by Timothy Truman, it provides a great origin for Hawkman and makes him a very relatable character. Hawkwoman rocks in it, also.

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
All I want for Hawkgirl is safe d3, yeah it isn't super easy to punish but eating Superman or Aquaman full BnB for using your only real low sucks, especially since being in a position to force b2 mixups on them is a gigantic pain (Which is fine, if that move were super free 50/50 it'd be dumb and unfitting for her). I'd also like divekick to be just d1 punishable (Though easier to punish on reaction), but I can fully understand why it's designed that way. I really don't think Hawkgirl needs much stuff, doing higher damage or d1 being low goes against her design imho and could really screw certain characters over hard. Also I feel it's waaaaaaay too early in the game's lifespan to make any drastic changes, yeah most of the characters are very simple but there's a lot to figure out and the relative strength of a lot of characters isn't known yet.

Loryuo how'd you contact NRS? I'd like to hit them up with my sweep suggestion, because otherwise I think she's pretty well designed. She's gonna have polarized matchups with her design no matter what which is perfectly fine, since she's the type of character that could be a very ugly top tier if not designed well (i.e. Storm in the old marvel games).

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Anyone get a chance to see the video Ares (the player) put out in regards to Deathstroke? Well, in it contains some footage of HG doing an air throw similar to that of Smokes in MK9...am I missing something? Does she have or used to have an air grab?

Eddyward

Noob
Anyone get a chance to see the video Ares (the player) put out in regards to Deathstroke? Well, in it contains some footage of HG doing an air throw similar to that of Smokes in MK9...am I missing something? Does she have or used to have an air grab?
I believe that's a stage interaction. On the left side of the Arkham Asylum, power characters that are cornered can grab opponents and throw them into the corner instead. It's the same with the robot on the right side of the Hall of Justice; power characters throw opponents at the robot. If that's the throw you're talking about. :p That was the only air grab I could see in that video.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I believe that's a stage interaction. On the left side of the Arkham Asylum, power characters that are cornered can grab opponents and throw them into the corner instead. It's the same with the robot on the right side of the Hall of Justice; power characters throw opponents at the robot. If that's the throw you're talking about. :p That was the only air grab I could see in that video.
Awwww...ok. *Valley Girl voice* I am like, so blonde, OMG!!! Lol

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
So, I was at a tournament today, and I managed to fly over Grundy's super by just staying right above his head, he still got me though because at first I really didn't know what to do so I... dive kicked lol. Can anyone confirm if you can just fly over Grundy's super?

So, I was at a tournament today, and I managed to fly over Grundy's super by just staying right above his head, he still got me though because at first I really didn't know what to do so I... dive kicked lol. Can anyone confirm if you can just fly over Grundy's super?
Grundy's super is a timer based grapple where all his attacks turn into a grab, he has no dash, but very fast walk speed. If he can jump and reach you, his super will get you.

I can throw some grundy tips toward you since I use him as a secondary. Don't try to pressure him too much and try to stay on the ground (minus flying and jD3). Wake up command throw is pretty beastly, even though it does small damage, but it puts him in great positioning.

If you can, cross up as often as you can. Particularly with jD3. His command throw has 3 or so hits of armor I believe? Don't try to rough him out but try to make him think about using it. It's really his only great wake up attack. If you're on the ground, block low or watch very closely for ground stomps, as his projectile hits low and using MB with it turns it into a snare in which he can get a free b3 into his trait throw.

He's pretty straight forward if you know what he's looking for. Be patient. If you get the free time, take him into training mode and try to learn his moves and their MB versions.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Well thanks for the tips, but what I asked is if somebody could test just being at full height while flying and trying to grab hawkgirl with Grundy's super.

Goatlegs

Noob
Hey guys, I just messed around with Hawkgirl for the first time today and actually really enjoyed playing her but I have a question about her. I admit I haven't looked through the last 11 pages of this thread so if this has already been asked I apologize and I'll delete this post. My question is if you are fighting a character that doesn't have any invincible wake-ups, does her instant divekick special (db3? I forget the name/input) become a horrible ambiguous cross-up guessing game on knockdown for the opponent?

Hey guys, I just messed around with Hawkgirl for the first time today and actually really enjoyed playing her but I have a question about her. I admit I haven't looked through the last 11 pages of this thread so if this has already been asked I apologize and I'll delete this post. My question is if you are fighting a character that doesn't have any invincible wake-ups, does her instant divekick special (db3? I forget the name/input) become a horrible ambiguous cross-up guessing game on knockdown for the opponent?
If you're doing it right in front of them, no. If you do it in the corner, yes. If you do it off of a jump in after a knockdown, yes. There's lots of ways to use her jD3. Try getting the timing down for instantly doing it after a fly cancel. It makes it a very deadly up close instant overhead.

Goatlegs

Noob
If you're doing it right in front of them, no. If you do it in the corner, yes. If you do it off of a jump in after a knockdown, yes. There's lots of ways to use her jD3. Try getting the timing down for instantly doing it after a fly cancel. It makes it a very deadly up close instant overhead.
Sweet. Thanks man.

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
is she high tier? Cuz some dude in a KOTH match was wrecking face the other day with her...

Status
Not open for further replies.