What's new

The Power Nth -- Hawkgirl General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I'm finding her to be useful in the "confusion" department. Her thrusting back and forth movements really throw off the opponents I've played. I've landed so many MC's back to back. Her air game is unrivaled in this game...once I get the life lead I just fly around throwing maces. Her combos do seem out of reach...however I'm loving her B2 mix up game. Imo...she is solid.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I just got my first online compliment from a really good Raven player! I didnt land a single BNB and still beat him 10-4. When a character cant reach her at her peak height they start jumping in like a crazy person and if you time it right you can EASILY knock them down and begin the mace toss assault from above. As our fundamentals improve...we will figure out her offensive game and people will forget about DeathStroke...you read it here first! ;)

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Figure out her offensive game? I thought we already did.
Well at least I've been playing a lot more offense than defense with hawkgirl, it's been workig really well so far.

Loryuo

Noob
Man i kinda hate her, but i want to keep using her anyways =/. I love doing B2,B3, then looping F1, F3 x5 in the corner though lol. I got a compliment from a good doomsday player saying i was the best hawkgirl he's seen online so far, which is funny cause i still drop MB B3 combos when doomsday/bane charge at you or doomsday does that jumping attack. *sigh*. Well atleast it seems NRS is aware of Hawkgirl's problems since they replied to my tweet. =/ Also i feel like my worst matchup is bane/jump happy batman players.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Right I forgot to ask that, where do we discuss matchups, in the official matchup thread, in this thread or do we have to make a new one? I feel that's the most important thing we should focus on for Hawkgirl as she has to play very differently against each character tbh.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Im noticing she has all these great overheads but no lows to mix them up. Blocking high cancels just about everything. And does she not have any crossups? Holding back seems like it makes her free.
Her d1 looks pretty damn annoying. Bust people's knee caps and shins, and then overhead them for free when they decide to block low. "Watch your head, bro!"

EDIT: Also, hi guys. I'm thinking about playing around with Hawkgirl to get a feel for her hit n' run game. Think her blockstrings are viable for a rushdown and flyaway style? I think too many people are going to sleep on this character and not know what hit them when they lose 10-0 to Hawks McGee

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Well atleast it seems NRS is aware of Hawkgirl's problems since they replied to my tweet. =/
What'd you send them and what'd they say back?

Right I forgot to ask that, where do we discuss matchups, in the official matchup thread, in this thread or do we have to make a new one? I feel that's the most important thing we should focus on for Hawkgirl as she has to play very differently against each character tbh.

Well, the MU thread is open for posting, so I think they should go there.

Swoops

Noob
I don't really use WE2 in the neutral game unless I think it'll reach off of 1,2. I think it's hands down one of her best oki tools. Makes a ton of reversals whiff, and is an overhead that is slightly + on block.

Like after I land a mace charge now, I'll immediately dash forward into WE. If they don't roll I'll go for WE2 and it'll avoid a ton of reversals. If they roll, I'll either cancel into fly and mace toss, or just go into WE3 to get back in.

F1 series is still pretty good though. I just haven't been using it because I've been abusing d1 as my 6f normal :p

You guys dont use the 2,2 string for ducking characters? You get advantage and throw mixups if it hits. It has slow startup so you can't do it raw but I use it after d1 pressure when the opponent starts ducking. Also i hardly do 123 i usually go with 12 swagback (db2) 2 then 123 the swagback 2 combos off the 12 then just 123 j2 MC for my bnb starting with 1. In the lame ranging game she wins against most characters because of flying mace alternating between downward and going across the screen if they jump. Also downward mace MB is great for getting in so far, but its probably punishable. Since you build meter sooo quickly in this game i have no problem MBing Mace Toss for a chance to get closer, and once the opponent gets use to it you can just start dash canceling the ground mace for mind games. I'm gonna try to incorperate the b2,2,b3 at a safe range to maybe set up a b23. Shayera has a lot of potential, but she demands alot of time to open her up it seems.

After playing quite a few online matches I gotta say that her divekick is pretty good. At least so far since no one sees it coming when they try to get in. I'm still trying to incorporate lows into my game since 12 can be ducked but I'm having a blast learning the character.

Anyone know any good wakeup options besides WE btw?

I think her wakeup options outside of WE aren't so great. You can try MC but it's not a good idea at all.

I use low 1 a lot especially against people who try to rushdown and mix you up. It gives you a little break and keeps people in check.

InfernoZ

Noob
You guys dont use the 2,2 string for ducking characters? You get advantage and throw mixups if it hits. It has slow startup so you can't do it raw but I use it after d1 pressure when the opponent starts ducking.
Yeah problem with 2,2 is how slow it is, probably only useful after a jump in tbh, you can't really use it after d+1 since that's -2 iirc. Suppose I should mention, d+1 isn't a pressure tool at all, it's more of a keepout/interrupt. If you are throwing out a bunch of well placed d+1s then it makes her a lot harder to approach on the ground

I think her wakeup options outside of WE aren't so great. You can try MC but it's not a good idea at all.
Why not? The initial jump backward can avoid attacks and it's safe. Using both WE and MC on wakeup is ideal since it's likely that your opponent's options for dealing with each one are different (some characters like Aquaman have the same answer to both though)

Alright, question guys. What is Hawkgirl's main punisher? Is it just 1,2,3 - b3 into combo off wallbounce?
f+1,3, d+2 xx MC

f+1 is 6f startup

1 is pretty slow, high and has bad range so you probably wont get much opportunity to use it as a punish outside of blocking something massively unsafe

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Whoa whoa whoa, sorry for being hella late on this, but you can cancel her air mace charge back into fly? How is this done? And if so, how viable do you think it will be as an air movement option?

Loryuo

Noob
Do you mean on hit or in general? usually i just hit 4 during the mace charge animation and she goes into fly.

I can see it being useful, unless your opponent is very jump happy with good long/fast jumping normals.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Do you mean on hit or in general? usually i just hit 4 during the mace charge animation and she goes into fly
Well I saw a video where the guy was in fly and did plain mace charge and canceled it back into fly without losing height. I thought you could only cancel MC MB on hit.

KNX

Noob
All i said was "Why does Hawkgirl seem so subpar?" and they replied with "What would you like to see?"

I still think she's a fun character.
She does feel worse the more I play stronger opponents. d+1 and WE3 on their own aren't enough for me to get around her range and hitbox issues, dunno maybe it's me but I'm running into problem after problem

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
I wish she had better comboability. As it is right now, she just isn't able to convert too much off of the few hits she can get due to her range, and while she obviously is geared most towards a keep away and bully game that leads to her corner pressure, it would be nice if she had something to use as a way to get some good damage off a character.

Swoops

Noob
Yeah problem with 2,2 is how slow it is, probably only useful after a jump in tbh, you can't really use it after d+1 since that's -2 iirc. Suppose I should mention, d+1 isn't a pressure tool at all, it's more of a keepout/interrupt. If you are throwing out a bunch of well placed d+1s then it makes her a lot harder to approach on the ground

Why not? The initial jump backward can avoid attacks and it's safe. Using both WE and MC on wakeup is ideal since it's likely that your opponent's options for dealing with each one are different (some characters like Aquaman have the same answer to both though)

f+1,3, d+2 xx MC

f+1 is 6f startup

1 is pretty slow, high and has bad range so you probably wont get much opportunity to use it as a punish outside of blocking something massively unsafe
Yea, I'm honestly starting to use MC way more than WE as a get up attack. It seems to avoid strings a lot better than her WE.

Any d+1 punishes are also easy. D+1 xx WE3 if you aren't sure on your opponents' disadvantage for an easy throw set up on block, or d+1 xx fly, 2 xx MC for good damage.

I also just found f+1, 1 xx fly (fly towards and down) 1,2 xx MC. Just found out how much hit stun f+1,1 gives. You can cancel into a mace throw, then dash forward for positive frames. You can even cancel into fly and actually combo a downwards mace throw.

I do think that d+1 is too versatile to not be considered a pressure tool though. It's really vital to her game to get in and pressure with strings like 3, 2 or b+2, 2/3. It's like a jab to check opponents and hunt for the +19 on hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.