What's new

The Power Nth -- Hawkgirl General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swoops

Noob
So, I'm going to a tournament later today, a big one, and obviously I'll be using Hawkgirl.

I'm expecting to meet batman, superman, green lantern, joker, doomsday, grundy and Bane, that's all I can confirm.
Anybody got tips against them? Batman, Superman and GL especially, grundy and doomsday too if possible.
Well I just went to a tourney last night so I'll try to give you some advice that doesn't sound to negative :/, as a lot of those match ups are just reeeeeally rough for hawkgirl.

Superman: Ugh, he's kinda broken, but if he doesn't have meter he can't get you with air laser. He kinda has a similar play style to hawkgirl but with much better range. In that regard you'll really have to watch whiffing normals trying to get in.

Doomsday: If they are the super nova spamming type, be okay with chilling out on the ground. If you're in the air there's no way you aren't getting hit by a MB nova. Stay on the ground and maybe bait it with mace toss, then back dash the nova. Watch for his max range normals and make sure to AA splash as my main success with hawkgirl has been AAing people every time they jump. Punish charge with d1 combos at first.

Green Lantern: Ugh, you cannot be in flight mode at anywhere in mid range. You will get snatched for 30+ damage every time. Watch out for b1, 3. You can do pretty well against his zoning as long you be careful in mid range.

My main partner uses Grundy, and he isn't too much of a problem. Zoning is a lot easier vs him, but be careful when you're on the ground in range of his walking grab, because you will not blow through that ridiculous armor. Also, against a solid Grundy, don't attempt shenanigans directly above his head. D2 will blow you up for big damage every time.

It's still really early though. So skill level will vary

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Just finished the tourney, ended up being 5th and lost to a batman, the match was PRETTY DAMN CLOSE THO.

I didn't encounter any GL though and the only superman I ended up fighting sucked ass so... Yeah.

AAAAAAAAnd Doomsday is probably the WORST matchup for Hawkgirl. I couldn't find a single opening on getting that damn monster, as soon as he had his armor on then I was completely fucked. Supernova KILLS everything hawkgirl wants to do, god.
Fuck that thing, I'll have to find some tech against him, someday, somehow.

dabuz

Noob
Ugh, i'm not sure what to think of HG. She has a lot of MUs where she wins for free if the opponent can't touch her flight mode, but struggles in most MUs where her flight mode can be countered. MUs like Sinestro, Cyborg, ect. are giving me trouble with her. What's everyone doing as their gameplan when they can't really safely throw projectiles in flight mode? I'm trying to play it like a bullet hell game and stay at the proper height to react to stuff but that's only giving me a win about half the time.

jaym7018

Noob
Im noticing she has all these great overheads but no lows to mix them up. Blocking high cancels just about everything. And does she not have any crossups? Holding back seems like it makes her free.

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
I have a question about the frame data in this game. Why is it that combo string like 1,2 would have a startup frame of "x" and then you look at a combo string like 1,2,3 and the startup frame would be completely different? I never understood that to be honest. I wish I could give an actual example but I'm too lazy to turn on my ps3 =[

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
So, uh, serious question. Does anyone actually do Hawkgirl combos?

It seems to me like you have to be making out with the opponent for her normals to reach, so I (and the other Hawks I've encountered) seem to resort to strong single hits like MC, projectiles, and dive kicks. Is there something I'm missing.

Swoops

Noob
Im noticing she has all these great overheads but no lows to mix them up. Blocking high cancels just about everything. And does she not have any crossups? Holding back seems like it makes her free.
B+2, 2 is a cancel-able low, and has a low follow up with B+2, 2, 3 (although it's unsafe.) Her sweep is also pretty solid, being one of her furthest range normals and relatively safe for a sweep (-9).

Both j1 and j3 can cross up, you just have to get used to her jump arc. J3 can be an especially tricky cross up. Not that she needs those though, jd+3 can make for instant cross ups, as well as using fly shenanigans to cross up with fly 2 xx d+3.

About the frame data, I always thought that the individual string's data reflected the last hit represented. Ie: 1,2 start up, damage etc would be listed for the 2 in that string, and the data for 1,2,3 would be representative for solely the 3 in the string

GaoMatsu

Noob

It seems to me like you have to be making out with the opponent for her normals to reach, so I (and the other Hawks I've encountered) seem to resort to strong single hits like MC, projectiles, and dive kicks. Is there something I'm missing.
I pretty much only combo if I can get a WE2 to connect, other than that, yeah I use a lot of single hits lol. Seriously, I barely get to even combo on a punish because her range is so horrible that you can't really punish stuff.

I pretty much only combo if I can get a WE2 to connect, other than that, yeah I use a lot of single hits lol. Seriously, I barely get to even combo on a punish because her range is so horrible that you can't really punish stuff.
Pretty much. I only combo off a jump in(which is like never because everyone has such amazing anti-airs in this game) and if I push them to the corner.

Swoops

Noob

Anything that seems unsafe I just go for d+1 xx db+2~3. If I can confirm that I can get a d+1 punish I'll use d+1 xx fly 2, bf+2 for like 20%, which isn't bad for a d+1 punish. Basically any hit I can confirm I just use fly 2, bf+2 for a combo. MC sets up decent enough oki.

After playing with my training partner for a while I think I've discovered the one key thing to Hawkgirl's gameplay...d+1 all day, erryday. 6 frames, great range for hawkgirl, and I use it to either confirm a small combo, lead into db+2~3 to get into range for string/throw pressure, or just use the +19 on hit to attempt like a 3,2 or b+2 mix up.

So I think I'm just going to abuse d+1, in addition to what I've been doing, which is occasional mace zoning, harassing with MC in hopes of confirming into super, db+2~3 to get in, and db+2~2 for oki.

InfernoZ

Noob
Anything that seems unsafe I just go for d+1 xx db+2~3. If I can confirm that I can get a d+1 punish I'll use d+1 xx fly 2, bf+2 for like 20%, which isn't bad for a d+1 punish. Basically any hit I can confirm I just use fly 2, bf+2 for a combo. MC sets up decent enough oki.

After playing with my training partner for a while I think I've discovered the one key thing to Hawkgirl's gameplay...d+1 all day, erryday. 6 frames, great range for hawkgirl, and I use it to either confirm a small combo, lead into db+2~3 to get into range for string/throw pressure, or just use the +19 on hit to attempt like a 3,2 or b+2 mix up.

So I think I'm just going to abuse d+1, in addition to what I've been doing, which is occasional mace zoning, harassing with MC in hopes of confirming into super, db+2~3 to get in, and db+2~2 for oki.
No lie, I came to the exact same conclusion last night. I really wish it was a low but yeah it's easily her best standing button

Something important I found at the weekend playing casuals with a bunch of people. Her j2 is shit, completely useless outside combos and gets beat by everything as an air-to-air. Really you want to be using j1 as your air button. j3 for crossups but its not amazing or anything

-YMK-

Noob
she really is about bullying into the corner, she shines a bit more there (f1,3 juggles lol), but mid-screen her range really suffers if its anything thats not d1 or d2. N3 is also faster than N2, sure you dont have the 50/50 string, but I dont think characters can duck it.

her sweep doesnt seem too bad on block or range to mix up some overheads with.

as for jumping attacks, j1 is neat, as it can crossup and is fast, but the hitbox is SO BAD, them blocking it correctly just makes it whiff, but she can kinda do a fuzzy guard with it? instant j1 after a jumpin hits them trying to crouch?
j3 is the opposite, meaty as hell, itll cross up nicely, just gotta prepare to combo off that small knockdown

also I did NOT know she can aim her MB tackle from a mace charge upwards, with a great hitbox and recovery to get a combo afterward. makes the idea of throwing mace a lot more pleasant.

nothing fun combos from 2,2. :/

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs

TBH, I can't land shit in a real match. If I'm lucky to get a 123, I just go for my easy 30% meterless. Other than that, I spend most of my time in the air playing keep away.

I find myself owning scrubs who try to zone all day. I work behind her low divekick to get a knockdown and then pressure them. If I can't pressure them I just punish them, but ya she's not so easy to play at times.

I do combos sometimes, just do basic ones that push into the corner or small setups into ex. I never use the B3 combos because too much input lag online for that and you don't wanna risk it.
Mostly I use my spacing, flight mode mace tosses and small combos. Mace Charge is also good but can be risky.

Another thing I go for a lot is 1,2 WE setups even if I don't finish the combo.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
So, are n3 and d2 her best anti-airs? I was messing around with b1 as an anti-air but didn't go too into it. Just quickly tried it out on harley's JI1,2, and 3 and it seems to just trade with most of it.

InfernoZ

Noob
So far anybody competent who comes at me with a solid strat has just worked me over but I've yet to find a solid gameplan for her. I think this character is gonna be so hard to play properly. I suppose one thing I have so far it seems that she's just incredibly safe on almost everything she does. Charge is safe, WE attacks are safe, her Mace Throws on block are safe, crap on whiff but her MB followups are safe.

She can't really zone that great because of how slow her Mace Throws are to recover, outside of Fly she has nothing amazing movement wise, her best ground mixups come off of b+2 which isn't a good move (slow and bad range), you can only really get that stuff going off a blocked jump in. Her oki is actually good thanks to the corpse hop stuff she can do with WE3 and Fly into Divekick mixups. Like someone said however, seems like any character that can shut down Fly has a big advantage over her

I think I'll try out a pressure/tick-throw style game next time I play. With all her safe moves and AAs that aren't terrible, you can probably play a relatively risk-free style. Take my damage where I can, well timed Flight approach, MCs, MT MBs and WE3s to get in, blockstring with f+1,3s and d+1s into Sweep, b+2, WE mixups and Throws. Gotta think of something! Really don't want to end up dropping her

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Just finished recording about 40 minutes of online gameplay, I'm gonna render that and upload it later on my channel, though it's still online gameplay so there are some things that just shouldn't happen if it were offline (dropping combos/inputs not coming out/getting away with unsafe stuff).

Fought a catwoman user in it too, goddamn her hurtbox makes everything so hard for Hawkgirl, and dat j2 x_x.

I like to play her especially aggressive, whenever I feel that that I'm too far away from the opponent to have some moves not hit (d1 mostly, d3 sometimes b2, and we3) I just go into zoning mode.

I feel like her sweep needs to be faster and have slightly more range though, since it's her only low starter, while b2 is really iffy to use.

Also d2 anti air all day.

Has anyone got any tips for Aquaman? Was playing against him today and I couldn't win a game.
I literally got my only perfect (both healthbars) against an Aquaman who actually knew what he was doing (like 160-20 winrate). All I did was zone with the maces while in flight all day and do mace charge when he got close. It didn't seem like he had any answer.

I got two questions. What is everyone burning their meter on? Her combos don't really require it. She can MB her MC for damage I guess. I've just been saving up her bars for her super or clashes in the 2nd round really. Also, Is there anyway to combo after WE(3) and her d3 while in the air or are those just for the knockdown for more pressure?

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
I got two questions. What is everyone burning their meter on? Her combos don't really require it. She can MB her MC for damage I guess. I've just been saving up her bars for her super or clashes in the 2nd round really. Also, Is there anyway to combo after WE(3) and her d3 while in the air or are those just for the knockdown for more pressure?
You want to use meter burn on her mace tosses to help get in and to get them into the corner where she really shines. So far, WE3 and fly d3 are sure knock downs. WE3 can be used to get in and even avoid certain things completely, and fly D3 can be used as the end of combos for wakeup pressure.

InfernoZ

Noob
Yeah I use meter burns solely on her MTs

MB the ground one to get in. You can also aim the ground MB upwards as an AA vs jump ins. The air ones I just use to either get in or get the knockdown since she lands right next to them for oki

Nothing else is really worth it since her good stuff is meterless anyway, the fact that she doesn't need meter for combos or anything might prove useful in the future. Saves you meter for Clashes, Pushblock, Armor cancels and her Super

Swoops

Noob
Yea she isn't hugely meter reliant, I often end up with a full bar for super at least a couple times per match. Personally I like having super because it means 40+% off of any random d+1 or MC. It seems like she builds meter really well too.

I would like ground MB mace throw more if it left her right next to the opponent. I really don't understand the point of it being +14 if none of her moves can reach the opponent. The same goes for WE2. Right now I just think I'm going to try and use all of her meter to push block the opponent. No one seems to be doing it yet.

Also, if it helps anyone, here is my (current) Top Ten moves:

D+1
WE3
D+2
Air db+1
MC
J d+3
WE2
3 (2,b+1)
1,2 (3)
Sweep

What do you guys think? I omitted fly because that's too obvious :p