What's new

The hate for the MK community

Flagg

Noob
Im a fan of fighting games period. Not just one, like the countless fanboys out there.

But if im honest, yes it does take more skill to be a master at SF or KoF than it does MK. That said, I still prefer MK because I love the game engine, I love the characters and the game is faster than the other two. Plus MK has much, MUCH more variety in terms of character mains. Most other fighters decend into the pro's just using the top 3 in the game, where as people in the MK community show more loyalty to their character, plus most of the roster are capable of beating anyone else on the roster.

jamessmk

I am your god
its easy to play but not easy to master.

im not sure what u mean with that u can win matches after 10 matches of play, maybe u win against another beginner but im damn sure that u wont be able to win matches against an experienced player as a beginner...
just like ultimate marvel as well

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Mk is easy to play, but hard to master. I can't just play cage for five minute and then think i can beat 16 bit's kitana. The same goes for UMvC3( in a way) and Blazblue.

VOR

Noob
It's not going to change. Sure, MK9 is WAY better than the 3D era diarrhea but it's still not quite there in retrospect to other well established FGs. If NRS really improves the next installment, releases frame data, fixes the 3D hitboxes, fixes all the glitches, doesn't release a game with a utterly absurd amount of problems, a good trainer and a good netcode then this series will be respected; I talk shit about this game because I want the next installment to be better. Everyone should.

NRS needs to be constantly reminded of it, you can't hope that they're going to continually check on TYM because they're not. Voice it, voice it continually. Scream it loud, get that information out there. Make it known that the tournament players are not satisfied. Frankly it pisses me off when people respond with garbage like "Well, this is broken, accept it or stop playing it" I'll still play the game but I'm going to voice my opinion so that it doesn't happen again.

I know that you guys who stuck around, and/or played the 3D area crapfest are more lenient with this game, but the players who stopped playing this series after UMK3 due to how appallingly god awful it became are not. When I talk to people I openly admit that this game has problems, why am I going to hide or become offended by people talking trash about it? It's not like it's a secret.
I feel what you're saying. If we don't constantly remind NRS of it, we increase the risk of them not putting out another quality game. They need to know that the opinion of serious players should matter, and that they could probably do even better business, esp. internationally if that voice was more a part of their decision making. I thank them for their good games, but I don't want them to rest on their laurels either. In the MK community, everything seems more noticeable to the FGC, since we are a smaller group. It's easier to nitpick on a smaller group, with more noticeable actions than the popularity wash of SF and MvC3.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
In the MK community, everything seems more noticeable to the FGC, since we are a smaller group. It's easier to nitpick on a smaller group, with more noticeable actions than the popularity wash of SF and MvC3.
That's why I really don't make any attempts to hide the flaws or become offended by other FG players. I think of SF, KoF and Tekken players as the elders of the FGC - you'd be surprised how opened they are to you if you address them with some seniority in person. There's no hate when you show that you respect them and their games as well. UMVC3 can suck it, since I really don't feel that game is any better than MK9, it's just a flashy random Wesker fest.

The problem is, we have MK players spouting crap like "Hurr durr, MK IS DAH BEST! U JUST MAD DAT IT AINT FROM JAPAN U WEEABOO!" and similar uneducated garbage. I doubt these people have ever played another FG. Some members of the FGC just don't want to give MK a chance, nothing you can do about it, just gotta ignore it.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Mk9 did what other fighting games couldn't. They knew how to please the causal and competitive people without taking sides.
Capcom did this successful with UMVC3 as well. That game is very easy to pick up, just like MK. They're both difficult to master however. Casuals enjoy UMVC3 more in my experience though.

Justice

Noob
One thing I wanted to say was that off the top of my head, only Mortal Kombat and Soul Caliber are the only two games with a dedicated block button, both are treated the same by serious players but one of them actually is Japanese. The prejudice is out there, noone can deny this, but that's not the only reason people hate on a game. Take a look at fps games for example. From CoD to Unreal to Medal of Honor the control scheme is pretty much the same. It's also the reason why the genre is stale as month old bread the same as the fighting genre was in the late 90s and early 00s. If an awesome game game out but the control scheme didn't match the "norm" then it would be received the same as Mortal Kombat is.

Players in general need to grow up. I'm not saying everyone, but there's enough scrubs in the community that ruin it for all of us. Notice how I didn't mention one specific game here?

The reason why we respect Mortal Kombat is because the game unapologetically doesn't seek respect on it's own. It's a solid, tournament-worthy fighter with t&a, blood, gore and fatalities. When you walk a line like that, you're gonna get shit on.

A quick synopsis of my thoughts since I'm at work and better get at it :D

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
It would be foolish to ignore the biggest difference between MK and the rest of the major fighting games; it's American made. And because of that, it's built around entirely different sensibilities. That's not to say that ever Japanese fighting game is the same as the other, but you can see some nearly universal similarities between them that MK doesn't share. The easiest and most obvious example is blocking. In MK it has a dedicated button. In pretty much every (2D) Japanese fighting game (or at least all the ones that come to mind quickly), you just hold back.

Because Japanese games rule the FGC, they've become the standard. And because MK isn't one, it's not just different, it's wrong.
Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter have block button too. That's not the reason. The reason is MK games weren't tournament viable until MK9. If NRS keeps making good quality games that people can embrace and go to tournaments for, in a few years MK will be just as respected as other fighting games.

The reason isn't Japanese versus American made either. It's all about the quality of the game. The fact of the matter is that, with the exception of MK1, MK2, and maybe Deadly Alliance, MK games before MK9 were simply not as well made as Japanese fighting games. So don't blame other games' fans for 'hating' MK, blame the former Midway for making crappy games, it's their fault and nobody else's. I mean, all you have to do is look back at MK Armageddon, i.e. the worst MK game of all time and literally the most broken game I have ever played, ever. Now, I am a die-hard MK fan, always have been. MK is my favorite game series of all time, but even I was disgusted with how awful of a game that was. So much so that I stopped playing MK and turned to Soul Calibur and Tekken. Was it may fault that I liked those two games and spoke badly of MK at the time? No, it was Midway's fault for making a terrible game.

MK vs. DC was also a bad game, let's just face it. I rented it, played it for 3 days, was very disappointed and, frankly, saddened, then I returned it and never played it again. It's the only MK game I didn't buy. I was playing Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur 4 at the time and both of those games were far and away superior to MK vs. DC, there was just no comparison.

Now, last year NRS finally made a good quality MK game and not only did a lot of old and new players flocked to it, I made a comeback as well. This is the most vibrant and populous MK community I have ever seen.

So what's the moral of the story? Don't blame Japenese companies (who, by the way, do make excellent games), don't blame other games' fans, and don't blame yourself. The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the....MK team. Sad but true. It will take years and years of good quality games to erase the bad taste from the collective fighting game community's mouth. In other words, "if you build it, they will come".

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I don't know how to express myself clearly, but one thing I know is true: blaming never did any good, no matter who you blame - others or yourself. It's as deep as can go right now...

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Raidenwins did a great post here .... MK started OK until UMK3, next, went poor and crap with 3D games .... now, MK come back with a decent game, but the previous damage is done, so, gonna take time and maybe, a couple more of future games, at the same level or better than MK9, to help to rebuild MK image associated as a respected competitive fg franchise.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
MK, tbh, doesn't really work all that great in a 3D playing field. No 2D fighter does, for that matter. You lose a huge aspect in how viable projectiles are (Unless you make the sidestep poor to the point where it doesn't even do anything vs them).

Also, yes, it sucks that MK gets a lot of hate (Granted pretty warranted given the series' history, though MK9's hate isn't really as warranted). But what also sucks is I've seen a number of MK players that shit on other games as well. I know it's not everyone, and the same goes for other communities, but some of us aren't any saints either.

Flagg

Noob
matter of oppinion

i loved all the 3d mortal kombats

come at me bro im not backing down on this one.
Well there is no argument that MK 9 is the greatest MK game made. I don't think anyone will dispute that. MK 9 is heavily based on MK I, II and III, the best MK games before this one. While that maybe be subject to debate, that's the reason they took the best things from the best games and created their own monster. Apart from QC and Kenshi, what do you see from MK 4 and up in this game?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Matter of opinion does not apply when you throw factual evidence in.

3D MKs had a number of problems, from balance to fundamental aspects such as blockstun and recovery frames. That's not including the absurd amount of glitches present. In MKD, breakers were actually unsafe, FFS lmao.

The games sucked on a programming scale.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Well there is no argument that MK 9 is the greatest MK game made. I don't think anyone will dispute that. MK 9 is heavily based on MK I, II and III, the best MK games before this one. While that maybe be subject to debate, that's the reason they took the best things from the best games and created their own monster. Apart from QC and Kenshi, what do you see from MK 4 and up in this game?
I'm sure MANY people would dispute that, actually. It may be the best MK game since MK4, but it's far from the best out of them all. There's still a shit ton of problems with MK9. One reason it's held in such high regard is because of how good it is in comparison to the abominations we've come to expect with the 3D MK's. As much as anyone liked the 3D MK's or played them, they just weren't good, competitive, high level fighting games. So with MK9, it's such a massive improvement. It's the first time in such a long time where a new MK game is actually being played at tournaments. The game may be based on MK1-MK3, but they didn't really take any of the high level aspects from those games.

Flagg

Noob
MK 9 is a success in the same vein that SSF IV is. They are both games that have jumped to the 3d realm, but kept 2D mechanics.

I honestly find games like Tekken and VF a chore to watch, and I used to love those games. The best fighting games have always been on the 2D arena.

What will be interesting is which game will sell more: Street Fighter X Tekken or Tekken X Street Fighter. That would be a good indication, which type of game, 2D or 3D, is more popular/successful.

Tim Static

Adminerator
matter of oppinion

i loved all the 3d mortal kombats

come at me bro im not backing down on this one.
you liking the 3d MK's doesnt mean anything other than you liked them. They were terrible games. Were they being played at tourneys? Were they at Evo? Fuck no. (well DA had some tourney love but quickly, i mean quickly died off, and some others got a little love lots later, but soley as nostalgia)

MK 9 is a success in the same vein that SSF IV is. They are both games that have jumped to the 3d realm, but kept 2D mechanics.

I honestly find games like Tekken and VF a chore to watch, and I used to love those games. The best fighting games have always been on the 2D arena.

What will be interesting is which game will sell more: Street Fighter X Tekken or Tekken X Street Fighter. That would be a good indication, which type of game, 2D or 3D, is more popular/successful.
SF4 only has 3d character models as MK9 has 3d character models AND 3d hitboxes.

And not really fair to compare who sells more as a competition unless they were released at the same exact time.

hardwire

Noob
Matter of opinion does not apply when you throw factual evidence in.

3D MKs had a number of problems, from balance to fundamental aspects such as blockstun and recovery frames. That's not including the absurd amount of glitches present. In MKD, breakers were actually unsafe, FFS lmao.

The games sucked on a programming scale.
not talking programing safe unsafe im talking about the fun factor

Tim Static

Adminerator
I'll argue that because its not true at all.

Is it the best MK game in 15 years or so? Of course. MK9 is a great MK game, but not the greatest. And MK9 is just a stepping stone in the right direction for MK games in the future.

I hope.