What's new

Match Footage The Good, the Bad, and the Scrubby - Evaluate my Sub-Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
Hey, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my matches from Frosty Faustings. My first set was not recorded but I lost to the Raiden (not PL) player that made top 8 (I made a bad mistake in the third round of the third match, I had him and let it slip) Below are my other fights. Tell me what I did right, what I did wrong. A note on the Jodie the Great match I made a VERY bad input mistake, I accidentally activated my x-ray while blocking (I play on PS2 pad and had my finger on flip stance when I blocked a hat) If you listen close you can hear me yell "Fuck!" when it happens.

Related to that I'll offer one little interpretation myself. When I get frustrated I go backwards in skill/thought process. After I blow the xray I just kept jumping in which is double bad idea against Kung Lao. Any way I really want to know what you guys think of my Sub-Zero play, right and wrong. Thanks!

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Two things that I can see:

- I'm guessing that 2, 2, 4, slide / ice clone is your hit confirm combo of choice for when you're unsure 2, 2, ice ball will be safe? If so, you might try using 2, 1, 2, ice clone (if being blocked) or ice ball, then 1, dash, 2, 2, slide (if hitting). That should net you a bit more damage if they're not blocking your hit confirm string.

- I've never seen that corner combo with the 2, 1, 4, ice ball, 4, 2, 2, 4, slide for 41% damage. I usually do 2, 1, 4, ice ball, 2, 1, 4, slide for about 38% damage. I will start using your corner combo from now on, but I wanted to give you props for that one.

Overall, I really do like your Sub-Zero play. Keep it up! :)

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Against NW two little tips: avoid using breaker when he reflects your Ice Ball and go for full combo. Well, unless you really can't afford to receive the damage and/or you're going to die. The motive is because like us all know the damage is scaled when someone is frozen. And that not only applies for you adversary.

And you know you can full combo punish his shoulder, right? I kept seeing you going for uppercut when you could 22, Ice Blast.

Plus I'd like to see more 21 pressure mix ups. I know its barely impossible against KL, but you could have a better close pressure with the use of this string against NW.

Other than that very good SZ. I liked it! :D

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
Against NW two little tips: avoid using breaker when he reflects your Ice Ball and go for full combo. Well, unless you really can't afford to receive the damage and/or you're going to die. The motive is because like us all know the damage is scaled when someone is frozen. And that not only applies for you adversary.

And you know you can full combo punish his shoulder, right? I kept seeing you going for uppercut when you could 22, Ice Blast.

Plus I'd like to see more 21 pressure mix ups. I know its barely impossible against KL, but you could have a better close pressure with the use of this string against NW.

Other than that very good SZ. I liked it! :D
Never thought about the scaled damage honestly, very good point. I know you can punish shoulder with a full combo but I haven't practiced it enough (to the lab!) question though. Does that apply to enhanced shoulder as well or only regular? One of my worries too is that I'll misread it as a regular and get hit with the headbutt. I know it doesn't do much damage but taking damage when you should be giving it is bad.

On Kung Lao, what are good ways to get away from his block strings? Most characters I'll throw out a down 1, but Sub's d1 is about as effective as a strong sneeze. D4 is good but isn't it a bit slow at times for Kung Lao pressure?

Thank you both for your feedback. I'm really trying to level up Sub-Zero to what he can be and every bit helps.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
The Enhanced Shoulder is harder to punish since it's faster, plus it's 2 hits, the second one being overhead. Oh, and there's armor also, lol. So it's pretty much safe, I believe. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.

About Kung Lao... Well, if you're fighting as Sub-Zero against a pro KL player you have no chance. I'm not exaggerating, I'm not QQing... It's a fact. Sub-Zero is free for Kung Lao. 10-0 KL's favor. The reason? Well if you're stand blocking any of his strings and he finish it with teleport you can't do shit. It's a well know problem with Sub-Zero hitbox, he just won't change sides fast enough to punish his teleport and you're going to block (or eat) the teleport followed by another of his strings.

If the KL player isn't finishing his combos with teleports you can try a D1 or D4 it depends of the range. Or try to get away of his pressure by back jumping.

- I've never seen that corner combo with the 2, 1, 4, ice ball, 4, 2, 2, 4, slide for 41% damage. I usually do 2, 1, 4, ice ball, 2, 1, 4, slide for about 38% damage. I will start using your corner combo from now on, but I wanted to give you props for that one.

Yeah, I thought I created that one (since I've never seem anyone else using it). good to see another SZ player using it. :) Another option would be: jip, 224~Ice Ball, back dash, (b1)2, 214~Slide for the same 41%. This is the one Tom Brady generally uses. The same combo with X-Ray in the end does 55%, I believe it's Sub-Zero's most damaging corner combo with X-Ray.

I was the raiden player. You were pretty good I know all of our matches were close I can't remember it very well though. Your pressure was pretty good I know that Against raiden you should turtle a little more that way when I tele you can puish with 22. Watch the match of mine with soonk he does it pretty consistently although I made a lot of stupid mistakes

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Raiden's slow strings make it possible to SZ play more aggressively, but there's always the teleport... >_<

Yea that's why I figure turtling is better that way if you hide in an ice clone and I wait for it to pop and I tele it's a free 22iceball of course my raiden is elementary but I find it helps

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
NW... you can interrupt the 2nd hit of his exShoulder with a well timed d4. That matchup is really a test of your patience and spacing.
This is just my personal preference, but I tend to not end combo's in slide that are in the corner. It lets me set up clones at the distance that a forward moving wakeup attack can't break through. It also allows you to watch what you opponent will do on wakeup, if they tech roll you can d4 and it will hit if they aren't blocking or they'll allow a d4~clone.

The biggest thing that I saw was meter management. It was very poor. I know its easy to say that now watching the matches, however, you need to learn when to break and when not to break. I think that will help your overall gameplay. There were more than a few questionable breakers in your matches. If you are up a round, sometimes it is best to save the meter for the final round, where it will help you far more than a mere chance to win.

I play Sub as an X-ray character... because you can throw that thing out there on reaction to any projectile and just blow it up. To me it is almost a game changer against a ton of characters, and it also links into 50% beastly damage off of his BnB's.

Great showing, I would hope you could post any of your other matches in the Video Thread for Subby-Z. I have more than a few there, if for anything, everyone can learn SOMETHING from them :)

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Yeah, I thought I created that one (since I've never seem anyone else using it). good to see another SZ player using it. :)
I'm sure that you did. I generally just don't keep track of who comes up with what combo, rather than just trying to find something new to learn. :p

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
It really doesn't matter who came up with the combo first. Or who is the best Sub-Zero. The important thing here is to share our experience with the character and listen to constructive criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.