What's new

The Death of Zoning in Injustice: GAU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I'm not saying they're the same. But if cyborg has the tools to win matches while almost solely relying on projectiles, he's a zoner.
Ryu and Ken can technically win on hakodens, and its a decent amount of their kit. Hadoken spacing is important, they can rely on them, but that doesn't make them zoners. Cyborg has a command grab. Why does he have a command grab if he is only to be played at a range?

What I'm saying is how a character is played is one thing, you can play anyone with a projectile as a "zoner" to varying degrees of success, but that doesn't mean the character itself is designed to be a zoning character. Dhalsim is made with stretchy limbs and crappy close range because he is only made to be used at one range: long distance. Cyborg can succeed at long range and some players may do so, but his tools reflect a hybrid with a focus on ranged attacks.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Yo 2 characters can do really well against zoners? Guess it's GG. This dude really loves making himself look like an idiot. I see a new thread like this by him every day.
I'm guessing you don't play at a top level, but theres a term called "counterpicking". When money is on the table and you beat them with zoning to bring it to a 1-1 match point, they have 2 options to boot you out of the prize-pool. That's a dealbreaker, honestly.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Ryu and Ken can technically win on hakodens, and its a decent amount of their kit. Hadoken spacing is important, they can rely on them, but that doesn't make them zoners. Cyborg has a command grab. Why does he have a command grab if he is only to be played at a range?
So you're saying that if a character has options up close, they're no longer zoners? That makes no sense, what so ever.
Go tell a SF, BB, P4U, SG etc. players that there are no zoners because they have options up close.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Thread title should be changed to "The Death of Zoning in Injustice:GAU only if you main 3 specific characters".

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So you're saying that if a character has options up close, they're no longer zoners? That makes no sense, what so ever.
Go tell a SF, BB, P4U, SG etc. players that there are no zoners because they have options up close.
Read my edit, I said theres characters who can be played like zoners but that doesn't make the character themselves zoning characters. Success is relative, but unless your entire strategy is "don't ever let them get in close or you are screwed" then you probably have more options than the usual zoning-based character.

Name me off some character you feel are "zoners", and I'll be happy to show they aren't simply zoners but hybrids in their own light.

Element_

The First Element
i'v allways been a kind of "RushDown" player , (well online)...i prefer getting inside and getting my opponent out of there , rather than loitering at the edge of the screen handing out projectiles , i kinda feel sorry for you zoner types , but i may pick up this game now.

jaym7018

Noob
"Conventional zoning" as you call it, is no more in Injustice. Zoning characters have to use non related zoning tools to prosper when they are clearly outclassed by other characters in this area (rushdown).

That's the whole point of this thread and OP's frustation.

Once again play joker,bane ,lobo,catwoman,grundy,lex,flash then tell me zoning is dead. You guys have a seriously warped idea of what zoning is if you think its nothing but chucking projectiles. I gave the MK community the benefit of the doubt when i decided to play this game, that was quite obviously a mistake.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
I'm guessing you don't play at a top level, but theres a term called "counterpicking". When money is on the table and you beat them with zoning to bring it to a 1-1 match point, they have 2 options to boot you out of the prize-pool. That's a dealbreaker, honestly.
I do play this game at a high level. I just know how to do this thing called adapting.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I do play this game at a high level. I just know how to do this thing called adapting.
You can't adapt to a counter pick. You just sit there and deal with it. Tell the guy getting the short-end of the stick in a Ganon v Olimar match to adapt to his 10-0 losing MU and see how far he gets. There's room for adaptation, but there's also clear cut advantages that bring a match so far into ones favor that adaptation won't get the job done.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Read my edit, I said theres characters who can be played like zoners but that doesn't make the character themselves zoning characters. Success is relative, but unless your entire strategy is "don't ever let them get in close or you are screwed" then you probably have more options than the usual zoning-based character.

Name me off some character you feel are "zoners", and I'll be happy to show they aren't simply zoners but hybrids in their own light.
Yukiko, Lambda, Peacock

I'm waiting to see how you know more about these characters than the best players that use them, and tell me that they're hybrids.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
Once again play joker,bane ,lobo,catwoman,grundy,lex,flash then tell me zoning is dead. You guys have a seriously warped idea of what zoning is if you think its nothing but chucking projectiles. I gave the MK community the benefit of the doubt when i decided to play this game, that was quite obviously a mistake.
What does the MK community have to do with this? This is the Injustice community... lol.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Plain and simple. M2Dave says its dead and as a person who uses the zoning tools more than anyone his opinion is actually one that I would trust on this believe it or not. Zoning in injustice, for what it was and what it did, is no longer a viable option.
Actually, zoning is still a viable option. For example, you can zone with Superman's lasers. My point is that "zone or die" characters, namely Cyborg and Sinestro whose primary goal is to keep opponents full screen away, are not well-equipped to zone.

Another point is that NRS has destroyed variety, which is something MK had in spite of its flaws. They have turned Deathstroke into this rush down and 50/50 mix up character as though the game did not have such play styles already. If I want a "vortex" character, I can use Batgirl, Killer Frost, or Scorpion who do a better job than Deathstroke. Why can Deathstroke not be a tournament viable zoning character? Because online scrubs were unable to dash forward and block? Come on.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You easily have the power to stop these threads if you wanted to, but you don't.
Dave isn't breaking any rules, though. Are these troll threads? Maybe, maybe not. He is highlighting some pretty important things about the metagame, so is it really a troll threads. A lot of these other "troll threads" do the exact same thing.

However, your response was very much against the rules.

It's not hard to figure that out. If you find something wrong with our decision on this, you're free to leave. Door's right there.

Bottom line, thread is okay. Thread stays open.

lawzoers

Noob
Most of them are irrelevant in tournament enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.