What's new

ten characters better than johnny cage.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Also, I think Liu Kang beats JC...a lot of JC players go ball to the wall with rush down, but 1. Kang can parry into a full combo if the Cage gets greedy. 2. He can zone Johnny out. I always counter pick Cage with Kang. Tip of the day.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
read carefully my friend, over better characters, not characters that cage beats

Then I agree with that hands down. Cage can beat the Ermac's and Jax's, but with most of the cast having projectiles makes it difficult for the Cagemaster. Or better projectiles for zoning I should say.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
come one lets be serious here now, that or stop bitchin
Sorry bro, I was just making the point that you didn't really make any convincing argument, you just sorted of listed characters. Any matchup turns in cage's favour once hes in, its just a matter of getting in in the first place.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Sorry bro, I was just making the point that you didn't really make any convincing argument, you just sorted of listed characters. Any matchup turns in cage's favour once hes in, its just a matter of getting in in the first place.
i dont need to its self explanitory, my thread isnt who beats cage, its who is better than cage tier list wise, i could write pages, but we all should know cage is top 15 at best

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You haven't said how many bad MU your top 10 characters have. This is what always happens in character downplay threads, there's all this talk of bad MU and when asked it's only a handful. As if the other top characters don't also have the same. In the Kitana community I could easily name several characters commonly thought of as bad MU. Kenshi, Kabal, Reptile, Mileena, Freddy, Raiden.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Why do people still think that throwing projectiles will beat cage. Have they not watched someone with 2 brain cells push down inbetween dashes while you put yourself in the corner to be beat on?

I personally have problems fighting cage, but i am just too scared to push buttons usually, theres alot of opportunities which i dont take which i probably should.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Why do people still think that throwing projectiles will beat cage. Have they not watched someone with 2 brain cells push down inbetween dashes while you put yourself in the corner to be beat on?

I personally have problems fighting cage, but i am just too scared to push buttons usually, theres alot of opportunities which i dont take which i probably should.
I only throw fans against JC to build meter. It feels kind of futile these days, delaying the inevitable if you will. Stupid neutral duck...

Espio

Kokomo
Johnny Cage has always been really good, people just downplay him because other characters were doing well at tournaments or sleep on him. Pretty much best rushdown in the game and a handful of bad match ups, but he's number 20 on the tier list? He doesn't even lose to all zoners, he only really loses to people like Kenshi, Reptile, Kabal,(possibly Sindel), and Freddy.

I'd say he goes even with Kitana, Sub-Zero, and Noob, he can lame it out just like Kit and Subbie, and one wrong move from Noob and Cage is in and likely not leaving till the round's over(this match is probably even at 5-5). Stryker and Jade aren't keeping him out for very long(bad match ups for them). If all zoners gave him a problem, then yes I'd agree he'd be much lower, but they really all don't, he beats quite a few of them.

Zoning's not as big of a deal as it once was...to be honest.

He goes even with a lot of top/mid characters, beats quite a lot of characters and has bad matches with a handful of characters, does this sound familiar? Because it sounds just like Kitana and Sonya who most classify as top 10 range characters.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
No one literally means only 10 characters when they say top 10. There's too many ridiculous characters. He is probably as good if not better than half of those 10 characters though. I can see him being better than Cyrax, Kung Lao, Jax, Freddy.

What is the Cage MU chart? I mean the real one, not the old conventional wisdom were if you have a good projectile you blow JC up.
He loses to Kabal, struggles against Kenshi, Noob and Sonya. Thats about it really.

But I main him and have looked in as much depth as I can into each of his matchups. That can only be said about a handful of characters in this game so its not fair to say that because he has 4 'bad match ups' that hes something spectacular.

Maybe its just showing that as the game evolves its showing that its actually balanced. Its no different to how I see KL Shang Rain or Sonya who I also play.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
He loses to Kabal, struggles against Kenshi, Noob and Sonya. Thats about it really.
Once youre in though its game over, so the bad matchup only really lasts until you catch them, then its like 8-2 to JC maybe 7-3 if they have good timing on armour moves.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Once youre in though its game over, so the bad matchup only really lasts until you catch them, then its like 8-2 to JC maybe 7-3 if they have good timing on armour moves.
Any character with a 6-9 frame launcher can get Cage off of them easy. Players are just too scared and dont know what theyre doing against Cage STILL.

You could put nearly any Cage against somebody like Ketchups Sektor and all of a sudden being in Sektors face becomes alot harder because you risk eating 40% for him reading your blockstrings/pokes.

Thats probably the most important part of fighting a Cage player, you HAVE to know when he's neutral or at disadvantage. Block a poke and mash your fastest launcher untill they understand that they cant just blockstring you all day. Thats when the Cage matchup gets more interesting.

+1 - I would just add that Cage needs to be VERY patient against Kitana and Sub-Zero.
True. But they have to be equally as patient.

From the beginning of round 1 Cage has the advantage because of the red kick, or the threat of it. It will get him the lifelead on reaction to clones/fans/ice balls. So they have to come to him.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Any character with a 6-9 frame launcher can get Cage off of them easy. Players are just too scared and dont know what theyre doing against Cage STILL.
The same thing with jax f4, kitanas cutter, and pretty much ANY blocked poke. Cages problem for me is that even when you can get him off you, its still a guess because of the f3 and EX nut punch, theres no way you can beat those every time, and cage players know that. Thats why im scared of cage up close, he just has this way of never getting off you even when you know your openings.

Zyphox

You haven't said how many bad MU your top 10 characters have. This is what always happens in character downplay threads, there's all this talk of bad MU and when asked it's only a handful. As if the other top characters don't also have the same. In the Kitana community I could easily name several characters commonly thought of as bad MU. Kenshi, Kabal, Reptile, Mileena, Freddy, Raiden.
am new to this community and only have real in depth knowledge on cage raiden and lui kang, but i have been around long enough to know that cagr is not top 10. i have basic knowledge on my top 10 match ups so posting them would be irrelevant since its mot about how many bad match ups a character has its how good the character is. look at raiden, not one bad match up, does that mean he is the best in the game? imo the tools a character has makes the character, we could easily go on and say cage up close is 10-0 against the entire cast and 0-10 anywhere else on screeen, and that limitation is what places him in the tops 15, just like foxy said, its all mind games with cage nothing more, were as other characters your no frozen on block because your scared his knee will fly into you face. we are over looking the fact that mindgames is what makes jc, without mindgames and mindfuckery jc wouldn't even be top 25. have you played the cpu with johnny cage? you can't mind fuck the cpu. hell with out mind games jc's rushdown is average at best.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Another tip for beating JC up close is also not crouch blocking his f3. Random frame adv ftw.... I really think that JC is overrated imo.

Post edited.

Espio

Kokomo
Johnny Cage's rushdown is not average. He might be overrated (I don't agree), but his rushdown is not just "okay". There are people with average rushdown (someone like Ermac), but that's Cage's specialty.

Another tip for beating JC up close is also not blocking while crouching his f3. Random frame adv ftw.... I really think that JC is overrated imo.
I don't understand, if you don't block the knee he still ends up hitting you with it and you're back to square one, the random advantage sucks, but if you get hit with that knee, you're back to blocking anyway.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
am new to this community and only have real in depth knowledge on cage raiden and lui kang, but i have been around long enough to know that cagr is not top 10. i have basic knowledge on my top 10 match ups so posting them would be irrelevant since its mot about how many bad match ups a character has its how good the character is. look at raiden, not one bad match up, does that mean he is the best in the game? imo the tools a character has makes the character, we could easily go on and say cage up close is 10-0 against the entire cast and 0-10 anywhere else on screeen, and that limitation is what places him in the tops 15, just like foxy said, its all mind games with cage nothing more, were as other characters your no frozen on block because your scared his knee will fly into you face. we are over looking the fact that mindgames is what makes jc, without mindgames and mindfuckery jc wouldn't even be top 25. have you played the cpu with johnny cage? you can't mind fuck the cpu. hell with out mind games jc's rushdown is average at best.

This makes no sense.

Dann

Noob
I don't know about noob, sonya, and sub zero. Ones people learn to use the EX green ball to get in, sub and noob are not much of a threat, specially considering there both low damage output characters. As far as sonya the ex cartwheel is a problem but sonya also has to deal with ex nut punch so i think it sort of evens out. Its an interesting match up. i'd say 5-5

kabal, kenshi, freddy, reptile he really has to work for his win. Noob and kitana have a slight edge on him, i'd say 5.5 but i wouldn't consider this a horrible match up.

Zyphox

This makes no sense.
sorry crappy netbook, ill slow it down for you. without mindgames, the notion of mindfuckery, johnny cage would be a top 25 character at best. the fact that he can get away with a lot of things up close makes his rushdown top tier, therefore making everyone believe once your in with cage, its over. if you had godlike reactions you would be out of cages pressure in 5 sec everytime. is that a little better?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
If you are willing to take that risk.
So your anti cage tech is to hope that the other player cant hitconfirm for shit? Im not certain i have this right, do you mean you actually LET GO of block when cage f3's you? or just make sure you never block crouching?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
sorry crappy netbook, ill slow it down for you. without mindgames, the notion of mindfuckery, johnny cage would be a top 25 character at best. the fact that he can get away with a lot of things up close makes his rushdown top tier, therefore making everyone believe once your in with cage, its over. if you had godlike reactions you would be out of cages pressure in 5 sec everytime. is that a little better?
No. This still makes no sense. No one can react, it's a guessing game. Ok I guess if Neo enters EVO Foxy is in trouble, but he could blow up everyone with those reactions.