What's new

Tekken 8 Review Scores are in...

I like what it looks like they've done here, which is have complete (albeit limited) single player modes for casual players, but are geared toward making them better at playing against other people. Seems like these modes know what they're trying to accomplish, which is refreshing.

It doesn't necessarily look like this is going to be a huge hit for hard casuals, people who literally just want to mash buttons and collect loot, but for people who are interested in playing the game as intended but are new to Tekken (me), it looks really exciting and welcoming. Already got it pre-ordered, can't wait to dive in.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
"For the first time in Tekken history, other than the Tekken Tag Tournament games, recoverable health plays a major part in matches. Blocking big attacks and taking chip damage, absorbing them with a Power Crush, or being hit after getting knocked airborne will do partial gray damage. The only way to get this health back is by throwing out your own attacks, as you won’t recover at all by just standing still and blocking – you have to go on the offensive to reclaim your life, and this made me adapt my mindset in a wonderful way.

It’s also a huge shift, as Tekken has always been a defensive game. It’s not uncommon to watch high-level Tekken matches of the past and see two characters appear to almost glitch across the screen as they continuously cancel their sidesteps and dashes and block everything while looking for the smallest opening. A lot of that hasn’t gone away in Tekken 8, but recoverable damage gave me the constant pressure to go on offense while I still had health that could be recovered, and never made me feel like I was out of the fight while being juggled across the stage"

"The new Heat system pairs with this new offensive mindset perfectly. There are myriad ways to enter Heat, whether it be through landing staple moves from a character’s move list or simply pressing a button, and you start with a full bar of Heat every round, so there’s no reason not to use it. Heat enhances your offense in every facet – you do increased chip damage while recovering more of your own health, you unlock new moves or properties for each character, and you can use the rest of your meter for a powerful combo extender or finisher. "

"That said, one aspect of these changes I could see eventually getting frustrating is how it gives even more offensive pressure to characters who thrive on it, like Hwoarang and the various members of the Mishima family. It’s scary enough to try and keep blocking when it seems like it’s been your opponent’s turn to attack forever, so adding in chip damage and extra tools for characters with overwhelming offense is even more to deal with. But since these tools are universal, you always have a chance to turn the tide yourself, and Heat makes execution for a lot of moves easier, such as the Mishimas’ electric attacks no longer requiring a single-frame input. Heat is both your most powerful offensive tool and a great equalizer. "

From the IGN review. Where is @M2Dave :p

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
"For the first time in Tekken history, other than the Tekken Tag Tournament games, recoverable health plays a major part in matches. Blocking big attacks and taking chip damage, absorbing them with a Power Crush, or being hit after getting knocked airborne will do partial gray damage. The only way to get this health back is by throwing out your own attacks, as you won’t recover at all by just standing still and blocking – you have to go on the offensive to reclaim your life, and this made me adapt my mindset in a wonderful way.

It’s also a huge shift, as Tekken has always been a defensive game. It’s not uncommon to watch high-level Tekken matches of the past and see two characters appear to almost glitch across the screen as they continuously cancel their sidesteps and dashes and block everything while looking for the smallest opening. A lot of that hasn’t gone away in Tekken 8, but recoverable damage gave me the constant pressure to go on offense while I still had health that could be recovered, and never made me feel like I was out of the fight while being juggled across the stage"

"The new Heat system pairs with this new offensive mindset perfectly. There are myriad ways to enter Heat, whether it be through landing staple moves from a character’s move list or simply pressing a button, and you start with a full bar of Heat every round, so there’s no reason not to use it. Heat enhances your offense in every facet – you do increased chip damage while recovering more of your own health, you unlock new moves or properties for each character, and you can use the rest of your meter for a powerful combo extender or finisher. "

"That said, one aspect of these changes I could see eventually getting frustrating is how it gives even more offensive pressure to characters who thrive on it, like Hwoarang and the various members of the Mishima family. It’s scary enough to try and keep blocking when it seems like it’s been your opponent’s turn to attack forever, so adding in chip damage and extra tools for characters with overwhelming offense is even more to deal with. But since these tools are universal, you always have a chance to turn the tide yourself, and Heat makes execution for a lot of moves easier, such as the Mishimas’ electric attacks no longer requiring a single-frame input. Heat is both your most powerful offensive tool and a great equalizer. "

From the IGN review. Where is @M2Dave :p
If NRS players want to thrive on a tekken format, this is the one, they also have an edge here, first and foremost, this is a metered game, something not tekken heads are familiar with, secondly, this is a chip damage game, something NRS is very known for.

I see with the combination of both, making judgements such as heat activation, and force chip instead of damage it's something I feel very comfortable with exploiting in the game, and I play Jin.

Like I don't really need to whiff punish every whiff I see with electrics or block punish with them, since my character enters heat from easy whiff punishes, and when in heat those become launchers, a lot to consider to tekken heads, but we who have been playing similar games ala MK9, MKX and such are fine to force these type of game, and make these type of calls, traditionalist aren't much of a fan of the heat system, from my perspective, I don't really care, I'm not strange to it and the game feels fresh

Zviko

Noob
Obviously we fighting game players know it's probably 10/10 or very close to it but these reviewer opinions and numbers.....couldn't be more irrelevant and pointless. They are not to be trusted in general but when it comes to fighting games, they shouldn't even be allowed to do them. It's way too complicated for them.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Obviously we fighting game players know it's probably 10/10 or very close to it but these reviewer opinions and numbers.....couldn't be more irrelevant and pointless. They are not to be trusted in general but when it comes to fighting games, they shouldn't even be allowed to do them. It's way too complicated for them.
Keep seeing this take and no offense, but it's fucking stupid.

They're not judging or reviewing the in depth technical aspects are they? They're reviewing it for the casual audience, you know, which the likes of IGN have a MASSIVE one.

If FG communities want their communities to grow and stay strong, you need to attract casuals first and foremost. The fact this does such a good job at that is a win, and means some of those casuals may venture into playing this more competitively. It can only be good for Tekken and the scene.

So no, it's not pointless. Stop with this gatekeeping nonsense. You don't have to understand frame data to know whether a fighting game - on a surface and content level - is fun and good.

I mean, the fact I'm having to point this out on an MK forum - the most casual friendly FG franchise there is - is laughable. MK is still not taken that seriously on the competitive scene and yet we have people with serious elitist attitude here.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Let me just remind everyone that MK1 also received overwhelmingly positive reviews from multiple sources, despite its many flaws (that we all know by now). I am absolutely certain Tekken 8 is gonna be absurdly more polished and overall a much more refined experience than mk1 currently is, and these review scores probably reflect that, but I have to point out that this is not always the case and people shouldnt always blindly trust the scores - MK1 being the prime example of that lol.

Zviko

Noob
Keep seeing this take and no offense, but it's fucking stupid.

They're not judging or reviewing the in depth technical aspects are they? They're reviewing it for the casual audience, you know, which the likes of IGN have a MASSIVE one.

If FG communities want their communities to grow and stay strong, you need to attract casuals first and foremost. The fact this does such a good job at that is a win, and means some of those casuals may venture into playing this more competitively. It can only be good for Tekken and the scene.

So no, it's not pointless. Stop with this gatekeeping nonsense. You don't have to understand frame data to know whether a fighting game - on a surface and content level - is fun and good.

I mean, the fact I'm having to point this out on an MK forum - the most casual friendly FG franchise there is - is laughable. MK is still not taken that seriously on the competitive scene and yet we have people with serious elitist attitude here.
Of course it's pointless. The review itself is not but the score is. We, actual fighting game players, who will actually play the game for more than 2 days get nothing from this. The rest are those 95% of people who will buy the game, realize it's harder to play than their hardest souls-like but because a paid reviewer forgot to mention that, they still bought it and got burnt. So yes, we both agree that there's a corrupiton, sorry, I meant marketing behind all this but yeah, to review a game from such a specific game genre by someone who has no idea what he's talking about is not good for anyone except the reviewer and of course the devs and publishers.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Of course it's pointless. The review itself is not but the score is. We, actual fighting game players, who will actually play the game for more than 2 days get nothing from this. The rest are those 95% of people who will buy the game, realize it's harder to play than their hardest souls-like but because a paid reviewer forgot to mention that, they still bought it and got burnt. So yes, we both agree that there's a corrupiton, sorry, I meant marketing behind all this but yeah, to review a game from such a specific game genre by someone who has no idea what he's talking about is not good for anyone except the reviewer and of course the devs and publishers.
Nahhhhh, this ain't it.

They're scoring a product, an overall package. Not on the competitive lifespan of the game (which nobody knows), nor specific frame data, super technical shit etc. You should wait for actual FG enthusiasts for that, BUT the likes of casual reviewers scoring a fully released product as is? That's fine, because that is what they're scoring. The whole package that people can get on release.

Using your logic, you can never critique food if you don't understand the techniques of Michelin star chefs. Silly logic imo.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The main difference is, many of us (I personally played since the CNT, and I gave this game a 10/10, not only because it feels fresh but it's far superior than Tekken 7 in every other way.
Better netcode
Better training mode, which was one of my major gripes, with T7, which was an evolution from TTT2 but T8 gets what it's missing finally.
more features
Replay Takeover
Ghosts
General gameplay rules overhaul and fixes, every toxic option removed, revised changed somehow to be far less toxic than it was in 7, like you can actually sidestep and play 3D

So I that played, know the reviews are coming from a good heart, MK1 I didn't felt this because firstly they baited us with early access to purchase the full game, couldn't even play online during the early access beta, and I still can't play online now, the clunky commands I felt on beta, are still there, input issues, slow ass strings and such, which hasn't changed outside of dash cancels, tekken changed from alpha to release, with feedback of the ppl that were playing, they were willing to listen to critics and find a middle ground of adjustment of the system mechanics and made sure they were fun for the majority, also they even say they were still adjusting, and then they released the betas to gather data, forms for more questions and made more adjustments, and they continued to do that for a year until release.

Fighting game reviews are weird. I don't think they're useless, they help me understand "is this a good video game?" Even though the engine itself is what matters most to me, I still expect a compelling video game surrounding that, so reviews help me understand that.

I do agree though that the score isn't probably going to shed much light on how deep/rewarding the systems are. For non-FCG folks, pretty much any fighting game is deep/rewarding, so it's kinda relative. Out of curiosity, I looked at reviews of MK11, and IGN/GameSpot used words like "deep" and "exciting to watch". I think it's more helpful to just watch videos about what pro players think of the game to understand if it's a good fighting game versus a good video game.