What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Immortal

Blind justice....
I finally got something working to record with, I could not get shadowplay to work for the life of me. My first match trying to record I find my first yoshi......... With my rusty DVJ, My muscle memory was is still stuck with kaz :(

Sorry about the music

Edit: I feel I got rushdown.
only 1 left.
My GOD mate, that fucking music. Also you seem to not know the match up, that Yoshi player played like shit, you got hit by gimmicky moves of which most is launch punishable on block.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
My GOD mate, that fucking music. Also you seem to not know the match up, that Yoshi player played like shit, you got hit by gimmicky moves of which most is launch punishable on block.
I dont know the matchup at all lol like I said it was my first yoshi :( I never knew it in any of the tekken I played.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Lmao I watched this video on Aris' YouTube only yesterday, hard as hell, and funny.
Seems pretty impractical though for the chance of dropping it probably being a 80%
I can assure you that Cherryberrymango is 100% consistent with this combo, and as of today, i'm close to 90% consistent.

Found the animation to buffer the micro dash and developed a muscle memory for it.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
3 bar Asuka is the bane of my existence. It sucks the times I play I am usually only matched up with West coaster players.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Any match in 3 bars condition sucks ballz no matter what character. 4 or 5 bars is the only way to play, sadly.
Literally every single match I play is 3 bar from the other side of the country its hell for ranked people just mash out of everything and I can't time any frame traps.

I don't even like playing ranked but its the only place I can find decent players quick match is a bust most the time.

The most annoying this is that every single match says 4 fucking bars at the start then it goes straight to 3 in match.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Literally every single match I play is 3 bar from the other side of the country its hell for ranked people just mash out of everything and I can't time any frame traps.

I don't even like playing ranked but its the only place I can find decent players quick match is a bust most the time.

The most annoying this is that every single match says 4 fucking bars at the start then it goes straight to 3 in match.
Yeah that sucks. Fortunetly for me i live in Central EU, so i have 4 bars pretty much in whole Europe, half of it 5 bars. When i get somebody with 3 bars i don't accept and if for some reason i get match and it drops from 4 to 3 bars i dont rematch no matter if i win or lose.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I finally got something working to record with, I could not get shadowplay to work for the life of me. My first match trying to record I find my first yoshi......... With my rusty DVJ, My muscle memory was is still stuck with kaz :(

Sorry about the music

only 1 left.

Sorry about the music

only 1 left.
Any move you block from Yoshi that transitions into Dragonfly = jab him out of the air for a float juggle. Most Yoshis follow up the stance with 2 which is a fast safe linear high that launches so if you get hit by any move that transitions into it like 3~4 (jumping double mid kick) you could probably quickly duck then get back up. You can duck the 2nd hit of that while standing launcher I think but it doesn't really matter if you don't because you can still jab him out of the air.

You see Yoshi go into death copter (high in the air, yells "Seeeeiyo!") wavedash forward instantly to get under him and switch sides (if you are on the ground, forward roll or forward roll into cross chop). He can drop down into Dragonfly to fake you out and fish for a 2, if you hesitate or it's laggy, he'll catch you with it so flash ducking might not be a bad idea once again, or if you are confident, just jab right away as you see the Dragonfly stance.

db3 series which is the spinning fast low kick that he can do multiple hits of or mix you up into ws4 = first 2 hits are natural, most Yoshis initially go for the mid ws4 on the 3rd hit. They see you not ducking, they will do more lows than the 2. As soon as you block any of the lows, that string jails you and no matter what you do you will block the remaining lows, so you are free to mash ws4,4 for a guaranteed punish during the block stun, no matter if he doesn't do the mid or not. I haven't tried it but you could probably flash/twitch duck after the 2nd hit and immediately let go of the db to stand back up in case the ws4 comes out and still block the low because the low comes out so fast.

b2,2 - mid-high i14 (pommel strike into stab) punisher the Yoshi threw out is -13 in this game hard to duck and has quite a bit of pushback, also has a launching mid extension as the mix up on the 2nd hit. You can electric launch the mid extension on block (big jumping sword attack, same animation as his cd1). Not sure what to do with the high now if you block it, haven't labbed Yoshi entirely in this game. DVJ's d3 could reach and Yoshi would not be able to flash or hop kick himself out of it, not sure if b1,2 reaches to punish it.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Any move you block from Yoshi that transitions into Dragonfly = jab him out of the air for a float juggle. Most Yoshis follow up the stance with 2 which is a fast safe linear high that launches so if you get hit by any move that transitions into it like 3~4 (jumping double mid kick) you could probably quickly duck then get back up. You can duck the 2nd hit of that while standing launcher I think but it doesn't really matter if you don't because you can still jab him out of the air.

You see Yoshi go into death copter (high in the air, yells "Seeeeiyo!") wavedash forward instantly to get under him and switch sides (if you are on the ground, forward roll or forward roll into cross chop). He can drop down into Dragonfly to fake you out and fish for a 2, if you hesitate or it's laggy, he'll catch you with it so flash ducking might not be a bad idea once again, or if you are confident, just jab right away as you see the Dragonfly stance.

db3 series which is the spinning fast low kick that he can do multiple hits of or mix you up into ws4 = first 2 hits are natural, most Yoshis initially go for the mid ws4 on the 3rd hit. They see you not ducking, they will do more lows than the 2. As soon as you block any of the lows, that string jails you and no matter what you do you will block the remaining lows, so you are free to mash ws4,4 for a guaranteed punish during the block stun, no matter if he doesn't do the mid or not. I haven't tried it but you could probably flash/twitch duck after the 2nd hit and immediately let go of the db to stand back up in case the ws4 comes out and still block the low because the low comes out so fast.

b2,2 - mid-high i14 (pommel strike into stab) punisher the Yoshi threw out is -13 in this game hard to duck and has quite a bit of pushback, also has a launching mid extension as the mix up on the 2nd hit. You can electric launch the mid extension on block (big jumping sword attack, same animation as his cd1). Not sure what to do with the high now if you block it, haven't labbed Yoshi entirely in this game. DVJ's d3 could reach and Yoshi would not be able to flash or hop kick himself out of it, not sure if b1,2 reaches to punish it.
Thanks dude, I just need to play the matchup more to get a feel of it. No one really plays him so it is kinda hard with so many gimmicks and I have a bad habit of pressing buttons at wrong times in matchups I don't know. I will get around to labbing him but he is not high on priority list due to lack of popularity.

Edit: I wish I knew 1/10 of what you knew about match ups lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: GAV

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara

bro i had mine set to 5 bars only got into a match to have it srop down to 1 and got ranked down..... but what can you do

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
bro i had mine set to 5 bars only got into a match to have it srop down to 1 and got ranked down..... but what can you do
Yeah man I know the feeling. It is mostly on me though as the times I usually play when I am off work is 12am-6am so no one in my timezone is still up. Still sucks when you can see the lag before the round starts and its a fucking Asuka lol.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I just watched a TTT1 match aris uploaded and I now I really want to learn Lei. His stances just look so cool. I don't care if I'll suck and drop the character 2 days after I learn combo. Someone will pick him up and make him look amazing.

Ya know, I feel like Tekken gets misrepresented as this impossibly execution intensive monster. I know going in that everywhere I read talked about how it was this mega execution heavy game and how enormous of a commitment it was to even become competent. At one point I decided not to buy it after reading and upteenth mention of the grueling hell of frame perfect, angle and position specific, character specific, time of fucking day specific nonsense required to play. I have weak execution, for a couple of reasons that there's no need to get in to here, (I'm sure a bunch of you have heard me rant before about it) so the game was hugely intimidating to me. Add in the damn KBDC and I about threw in the towel.

But it's not.

It's really not bad at all.

Of course there is an upper echelon of play where you have to be half a concert pianist to pull it all off, but as a new player, just starting out, unless you go out of your way to find something absurd to base your game around that are a million ways to get by that don't have anything like the extreme difficulty the game seems to be so synonymous with.

I've been able to find perfectly adequate combos and common conversions for the handful of characters I've messed with, that start to fall in to place after 20-30m of practice. They aren't optimal of course but they are respectable enough in damage and carry to make them more than fine to learn with and the damage is close enough in many cases (not all of course) that you aren't going to be losing matches to inferior players who just happen to combo better than you.

Even the damn back dash cancel stuff.. there is a poverty version.. it's not an all or nothing thing where if you can't do the super fast/precise version you fail. Hell you can just hit b-b-d-b-b-d etc as fast as you can and you get a less effective version, but you are still moving faster than normal back dashing by a couple orders of magnitude.

EWGFs aren't near as bad as I've heard. They are weird, sure, and I don't play a Mishima, but after 15m of practice on D Jin I was getting 7/10. A few short sessions and I'd have them easy.

The game certainly has an insanely high execution ceiling, but the floor is a hell of a lot lower than I think a lot of people realize. If you want to hang with the pros you will absolutely have to master the really tough stuff and it's going to be a long road, but you have thousands on hours of play time before you're playing anywhere near the level where that stuff is an absolute necessity. Again, it's important and you'll have to learn it to progress into the ranks of the truly ridiculous players, but there is a huge cushion in place that let's you really enjoy the game and be successful with it, without having to kill yourself grinding execution.

Shrug. A pointless post, but I just got done arguing with a rl friend of mine who refused to pick up the game because he thinks before you can even function in it you have to have 150hrs of execution practice and during our argument I really came to understand that for a lot of people, Tekken is a very mysterious game full of strange, arcane and obscure stuff that can seem totally impenetrable for some people.

I want t7 not just to succeed, but to THRIVE and the more new blood we bring in, the better. The game is so good that you don't have to make a bunch of excuses for it like I always had to with SFV - most people if they just sit down with an open mind will be hooked. We just gotta get 'em to sit down with that open mind first.
I've been telling people this since T6.

Landonio

n00b
I just watched a TTT1 match aris uploaded and I now I really want to learn Lei. His stances just look so cool. I don't care if I'll suck and drop the character 2 days after I learn combo. Someone will pick him up and make him look amazing.

I've been telling people this since T6.
Unfortunately Lei's not in the game. He'll most likely be DLC though. He's one of the most highly requested characters, if not the most requested.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Honestly guys, as much as i love this game, and even prefer this game over Inj2, i think I'll be making this the secondary game going forward. There's just no excuse for the online and lag with this game. There are many times slow motion moves like Kings low arm sweep and Bryan's low Snake Edge sweep and Katarina's low sweep become unreactable 50/50's even though they're like 27 frames or whatnot. I just can't take it seriously anymore. Too ridiculous to be having to play through these conditions in 2017.

At least in Injustice I can react to everything I'm supposed to and punish accordingly. Shouldn't have to make "reads" on 20 +frame moves. I'll still play, but it's taking a back seat going forward.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Honestly guys, as much as i love this game, and even prefer this game over Inj2, i think I'll be making this the secondary game going forward. There's just no excuse for the online and lag with this game. There are many times slow motion moves like Kings low arm sweep and Bryan's low Snake Edge sweep and Katarina's low sweep become unreactable 50/50's even though they're like 27 frames or whatnot. I just can't take it seriously anymore. Too ridiculous to be having to play through these conditions in 2017.

At least in Injustice I can react to everything I'm supposed to and punish accordingly. Shouldn't have to make "reads" on 20 +frame moves. I'll still play, but it's taking a back seat going forward.
Went from an online 50/50 to just simply a 50/50.

Landonio

n00b

I actually agree with you on that one. The input lag combined with the online latency is incredibly annoying. Idk how they go downhill from Tag 2, which came out in 2011, and actually had ok netcode, less input lag, and you could actually connect to players consistently. Not to mention this is a 2.5+ year-old game. Namco has had plenty of time to iron out the issues. I still love the game and still play it, but it just has a lot of problems. Other things that annoy me are the lack of replays, not being able to leave joined lobbies until a match is over, the load times, not being able to see player info in Player Match, the volume of old songs being really low for some reason, shitty recycled customization options, items being allowed in Ranked, etc. Hopefully the next patch addresses some of these.

Immortal

Blind justice....

Just play on PC since youre playing online and at home anyway, there is way lower build in latency delay in it and on top of that you can disable VSYNC which further lowers input latency.

PS4/PS4PRO version has abysmal online with 120 ms (over 7 frames) of build in latency lmao.

Last edited: