What's new

Teenage Gamer May Go to Prison for 8 Years for Violent Joke on League of Legends

Unfortunately, the kid had zero business saying what he said. It was stupid and NOT comparable to normal attempt at sarcasm. If anyone says anything remotely STUPID around me that could imply harm to others--and i do not know you?? You better believe I will have ZERO problems snitching. It's situations like this, where--looking back at the many travesty's that have occurred throughout the years...somebody COULD have done SOMETHING if they had spoken up instead of taking what some stranger says as a JOKE.

Unfortunately, the kid had zero business saying what he said. It was stupid and NOT comparable to normal attempt at sarcasm. If anyone says anything remotely STUPID around me that could imply harm to others--and i do not know you?? You better believe I will have ZERO problems snitching. It's situations like this, where--looking back at the many travesty's that have occurred throughout the years...somebody COULD have done SOMETHING if they had spoken up instead of taking what some stranger says as a JOKE.
So he gets 8 years in prison off a hunch that he was serious despite saying "jk". That's reasonable to you?

America use terrorism as an excuse to control people life I can't belive he's risking 8 fucking years of prison for a joke and no one says a word about it.This really is an insult to freedom.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
What's REALLY unfortunate is that:

A: You fail to see that the same first-ammendmant that you'd be exercising in that situation was violated in the case of the accused.

B: The legal system actually exercised legal action based on your unfounded "snitching".

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
His father says he didn't watch tv or understand current events. but he clearly knew Internet slang and how to play video games. That should tell us this was someone in need of help.

Unfortunately for him, it came from the authorities instead of a family member or medical practitioner.

Not that I think prison will be terribly helpful for him. But I don't find school shootings amusing either. And this "but it was just a joke!" crap is getting old. Examples need to be made I guess. He was pretty callous about human life when it wasn't his own.
Not even the slightest bit right. You have to legally prove everything you're implying in your statement warrants "intent to commit terrorism". Just because a person says something dumb and in poor taste doesn't mean you get to violate their constitutional rights and incarcerate them. It's not even a matter of opinion.

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
you just cant joke around about that shit these days..he should know better i dont feel bad for him at all. I live in CT where recently we had the school shooting involving children. If you play a game, then keep the conduct about the game. PERIOD

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
you just cant joke around about that shit these days..he should know better i dont feel bad for him at all. I live in CT where recently we had the school shooting involving children. If you play a game, then keep the conduct about the game. PERIOD
Again wrong.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
You're entitled to you're opinion, it's just flat out not basis enough to arrest and imprison someone over.
Sorry but nope...it is ...
People use freedom of speech for a protective blanket for everything but it really has little to do with what people think it does...
You are nowhere near as "free" as you think you are...
I have worked over a decade in security for major gov buildings and such and what they can do for things you would think are minor, are major..
Here is some general easy info about this...
What Exactly Does "Making a Terrorist Threat" Mean? The crime of "making a terrorist threat" is a recent creation enacted at both the state and federal levels after the terrorist attacks of 9/11. It is a very general law that can be used to prosecute terrorists, but has been used far more often to prosecute situations involving domestic violence, hate crimes, bomb threats, and school violence. Indeed, in many states, the term "terrorist" has been amended to mean simply "criminal."

Although the exact definition varies from state to state, generally one makes a terrorist threat if one threatens to commit a violent crime for the purpose of terrorizing another or of causing public panic. Some states laws are very narrow, meaning the threat must be very specific and direct, while other states adapt a looser approach, allowing even negligently made threats to be prosecutable.

What are the Elements of a "Terrorist Threat?" The most commonly used definition of a terrorist or criminal threat has five elements:

1. Someone willfully threatens to commit a crime that will result in death or great bodily harm. This means that the threat obviously has to be of a highly dangerous nature. Threatening to slash someones tires, for instance, would probably not be sufficient. However, the threat can be made in any medium, written, orally, or electronically transmitted. 2. The threat was made with the specific intent that it be taken as a threat. Although this certainly seems like a redundant sentence, it is meant to convey that the threat is a crime even if there is no actual intent to carry it out. The only intent you need is the intent to make the threat itself. So if you threaten to blow up a school, you will still be guilty of this crime even if you are completely unarmed and have no means of accomplishing this at all. 3. The threat is so unequivocal, unconditional, and specific as to convey a gravity of purpose and immediate prospect of execution. This extremely complicated sounding sentence is very important to the law, so let's break it down. Remember you must satisfy ALL of these requirements.

Unequivocal: This means that the threat must be a direct statement of what you WILL do, as opposed to CAN do (i.e. "I could be the next man to blow up the federal building" does NOT count).

Unconditional: This word is very bizarrely used here, because the courts have directly held that conditional threats ("If you touch me again I'll kill you") DO qualify. It is a gray area, but presumably, the fewer conditions used, the more likely the court will rule that it is a threat.

Specific: The threat cannot be vague ("if you don't give me a million dollars, something bad will happen"). 4. The threat actually caused fear in the victim. People must actually believe your threat for you to be arrested for it. 5. The fear was reasonable. If you said that you are going to blow up the White House with your spaceship, it is unlikely that any reasonable person could take this seriously.

Each state may have its own version of these rules. Missouri, for instance, only considers a terrorist threat one which frightens more than ten people, while California insists that the fear caused be "sustained" (held for more than a brief instant). Because the laws differ from place to place, it is important to contact a criminal defense attorney familiar with the rulings in your state.

What are the Punishments for Making a Terrorist Threat? The punishments for making a terrorist threat will depend on what state you are located in, and whether you are charged with a federal or state crime. Sometimes the punishment can be as little as a year in the county jail. In other instances (especially under federal law), the punishments can be extremely severe. Individuals who threaten the use of a biological toxin can receive up to life in prison. The law provides for up to five years in prison for mailing communications that contain any threat to injure the addressee or any other person, and five years for those who lie to law enforcement officials about terrorist hoaxes.

In post 9/11 America, something as juvenile as calling in a phony threat to close down a school or skip a test can land you 20 years in prison. Obviously, it is not a crime that is taken lightly, and if you've been charged with making terrorist threats, it is very important you speak with a criminal defense attorney immediately to discuss your options.

Sent under duress.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
In post 9/11 America, something as juvenile as calling in a phony threat to close down a school or skip a test can land you 20 years in prison. Obviously, it is not a crime that is taken lightly, and if you've been charged with making terrorist threats, it is very important you speak with a criminal defense attorney immediately to discuss your options.

Sent under duress.
Thanks to the well articulated response. If anything though this is an example of how Terroristic Threat Laws need reformed.

Here's the Texas Laws for those interested (as it was the state the teen in the article was arrested).

Also, here's a link to support the family's effort in petitioning for Justin's release. Hopefully the media attention was enough for them to gather resources to hire a reputable defense attorney.

Sadly, we live in a world where these tragedies happen on a regular basis. There are multiple school shootings a year, and it's incredibly unfortunate. Things would have been different if this violence wasn't as heavy currently.

And what do people think of shooters? Loners, computer geeks, etc.

You don't say shit like that in public. It's like going to an airport and talking about bombs on the phone.

This will always be a world of retards.

When they arrested him did they find any evidence that he may be planning this out? Guns, maps, plans, ANYTHING out of the ordinary or just that comment lol

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
This will always be a world of retards.

When they arrested him did they find any evidence that he may be planning this out? Guns, maps, plans, ANYTHING out of the ordinary or just that comment lol
No, they seized his computer but found no other evidence. At least that's all the info that's been released to the public.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Thanks to the well articulated response. If anything though this is an example of how Terroristic Threat Laws need reformed.

Here's the Texas Laws for those interested (as it was the state the teen in the article was arrested).

Also, here's a link to support the family's effort in petitioning for Justin's release. Hopefully the media attention was enough for them to gather resources to hire a reputable defense attorney.
Yeah Texas for most accounts is a "fullest extent of the law" state...
The Terroristic laws have no doubt made these things easier to charge and harder to defend but that's all they did, this stuff was around before but was pressed less and was extremely loose and undefined...

Sad thing is this kid will sit in jail until the case is closed and he is sentenced, and they can and have done things like posponing trials for months with excuses such as lacking a proper form...

Also the "lol jk" means nothing in a court

Sent under duress.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
If prisons get a bigger budget then schools, then you have to start thinking there is something seriously wrong with the system.
If ppl who run prisons get funds for having prisoners, thats just wrong.
Why you think so many ppl get prisontime for just possesion of weed. They even have undercover agents in school being young woman who seduce them to get them to sell weed. Thats just crazy lol

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Yeah Texas for most accounts is a "fullest extent of the law" state...
The Terroristic laws have no doubt made these things easier to charge and harder to defend but that's all they did, this stuff was around before but was pressed less and was extremely loose and undefined...

Sad thing is this kid will sit in jail until the case is closed and he is sentenced, and they can and have done things like posponing trials for months with excuses such as lacking a proper form...

Also the "lol jk" means nothing in a court

Sent under duress.
Well hopefully his defense can establish that "lol jk" corroborates with Justin's plea by providing context.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I'll never forget a dumb bitch who reported my friends and I when we were hanging out at a mall. She said we were talking about shooting up the place and were packing heat.

We didn't even mention anything about violence... I'm glad the mall cop thought she was insane....