What's new

Tanya General Discussion

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think Tanya's biggest weakness is how meter-hungry she is. She needs meter for everything. I basically don't ever have access to breaker while playing her. This also means that Sareena meter-drain setups really screw her over. Meanwhile you've got characters like Sindel and JC who basically don't need to spend meter to hit almost 40%, so they always have access to breaker. I think as more players get experience fighting her, she is going to drop off pretty hard.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think there might be something to Tanya/Jax. For example, you can call Jax ground pound and do f211~db4. On hit, you'll deal 152 and take 20, but on block the opponent is jailed into Jax while your airborne hitbox avoids him. You can also call him during spin kicks to make you much more difficult to punish. He also allows for conversions off of b344. I'm getting around 340 meterless damage off her standard kombos by calling Jax after 2(1+3~fb4 and then going into another 2(1+3)~fb4.

When doing f2112, summon ground pound Jax just as the final hit connects and go into db4 or jump-db4. This should catch normal and delayed wakeup and is potentially unavoidable without armor (and potentially unavoidable even with armor).

Malec

Noob
any tips on hitting drill after f211 online? I have NO problems hitting it in the lab, there is like no timing required. But I drop it online so often, I don't know whats up. It should be the easiest thing to do.

Wigy

There it is...
Why does Tanya's f4 say on hit you can cancel into jump? Just looks like I'm jumping after it hits?

Also is anyone attempting the 2-grab link after drill in the corner. Seems like a veeeery tight link but it's optimal

Last edited:

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
"React" wasn't really the correct word, though it's close. When Tanya gets a knockdown, you can wakeup neutral crouching and then tap block. Again, there are ways to make it more difficult by varying your timing, but high-level players will neutral crouch your throw loops and you will get punished for 40%-50%.

This also has nothing to do with my original statement that she's meter hungry lol. Every character can throw, so not sure how we even got here.
Ok well Im glad you clarified but saying high level players will duck throws, thats not entirely true. Its an extremely hard read because what's to stop u from doing f2, back up f2 again? Or f211? Like against tanya, I would be scared to eat a ton of damage when I can just go for a throw attempt.

Im really curious if u have match footage where this is happening cause based on tourney vids, neutral ducking is saved for extremely hard, desperate reads on an opponent. Or, your opponents havent been conditioned to fear your mids, which is possible too. And yes you can armor through f2112 but that is another hard read.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
@RoboCop this is a great example and its a new vid

notice how often Dragon does F211 into whatever. You are so conditioned after F2, you arent gonna neutral duck cause ur asking to get blown up by f211 combo of choice

At 6:30, dragon goes for f2 throw. Sonic doesnt duck it, he just breaks the throw

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think Kano may end up being better than Goro. Goro has a 20-second cooldown. Kano's knives are only 12 seconds and do most of the same thing Goro does for her. You can make your armor mostly safe and still convert into 20ish% by immediately calling knives when you armor. You can convert off b344. You can meterless convert into 28ish% off any hit. It's definitely not as braindead as goro and the rewards aren't quite as good, but having access to him almost twice as much as you can access Goro is a huge advantage, I think. And I haven't even started messing with delayed-ball setups.

cfw

Toys can't save you!
Is it just me or is the hitbox on her air spin kicks wonky???

Sometimes I just start doing stuff in practice mode and I noticed I cannot hit the air 21, mb kicks consistently unless I'm in the corner which wasnt the case before... am i crazy???

Like the kicks were always annoyingly inconsistent but this is new to me.

edit: i've tested on a few characters and it is totally inconsistent on Shao, Rain and Reiko. Like they aren't connecting at all on Shao. Does this game have different weight classes or something?

Last edited:

Malec

Noob
I think Kano may end up being better than Goro. Goro has a 20-second cooldown. Kano's knives are only 12 seconds and do most of the same thing Goro does for her. You can make your armor mostly safe and still convert into 20ish% by immediately calling knives when you armor. You can convert off b344. You can meterless convert into 28ish% off any hit. It's definitely not as braindead as goro and the rewards aren't quite as good, but having access to him almost twice as much as you can access Goro is a huge advantage, I think. And I haven't even started messing with delayed-ball setups.
How does the combo with meterless drill look like with Kano?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
How does the combo with meterless drill look like with Kano?
You call knives befoe the drill comes out. So like, dial in f221bf4, and call knives while the staff spin is connecting. The timing takes a little getting used to, but once you get it, it's very easy and confirmable. Or, you can call knives and then go for a raw bf4 anywhere on screen. Safe on block, as far as I can tell, or launches into full meterless kombo on hit.

the hit reaction on Tanya's ex projectile got changed if you hit the opponent in the air. they groundbounce now. not sure if buff or nerf.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What makes it busted?
It's very similar to Goro/Kano, in that it gives her meterless conversions off basically everything. But, for some reason, the scaling is much better than them, so she easily hits 37% 1-bar off almost any touch. Besides that, it has the shortest cooldown of all of them, so you almost always have access to it. It also gives her additional mix off her f211 string.

Beyond all that, there are some really powerful additional properties. Off the b344 string, if you hit, you launch into substantial damage. But, if it's block, you can block for a split second and then take your turn. If they try to counter poke, the bombs will hit and your attack will kombo into over 30%.

Besides the plus-on-block 50/50s it gives you off her f211, it also has a very easily-hitconfirmable sequence you can do. Do f211 and call the short grenade before the 2nd hit connects. If they block, press 2 to complete the f2112 sequence. It will leave you plus enough to go for another f211. Similar to b344, sometimes the bombs will hit and your followup will kombo from it. If the f211 hits, instead of 2, you can press bf4 to get a full kombo conversion.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I fought against this last night. It was a nightmare. Once people shake their MK9 Stryker PTSD I think they'll realize just how strong he is.
The only thing she loses is conversions off her armor, but she can still keep it safe and the increased damage she gets from everything else more than makes up for it. It's straight bananas.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm doing more tests now. Some of these are vulnerable to armor, but there are always ways to blow up armor attempts to condition your opponent to sit down and shut up:

b344: You want to call Styker very early. I find it helps to hold the back button so it's like b34, 4+Striker. Then hold block to see if they counter poke or armor or block the grenade. Either way, you just need to block for a sec (or the duration of their armor). Whether they keep blocking or eat the grenade, you can go for another b344 or f211. If the opponent tries to press after the b344, they will eat bombs that allow you to kombo off of them, even if they remain standing. Be careful, because the opponent can still armor after the b344 (which you will block) and after the grenades are blocked. If the b344 hits, then the bombs will launch, allowing you to dash into 2(1+3)~fb4.amp-3~ender for 320ish damage. If you don't mind potentially eating a jab (which will trade with the bombs but not allow you to kombo) or eating armor, you can do another b344 or f211 a little early and it will jail from the bombs, blowing up attempts to armor after the bombs.

f2112: On hit or block, call back-Stryker (short grenade) just after the f1 connects but before the spinny staff connections. If the opponent is blocking, finish the string by pressing 2 and then go into another f211. If they do anything other than armor, they will eat the followup f211. If the initial f211 hits, then instead of pressing 2 to finish it, press bf4. You will launch with drill kicks and the bombs will pop them up, allowing for 2(1+3)-fb4.amp~3~ender for 350ish damage. It's very hit-confirmable. Each of the f2112~bombs does about 6% chip and builds about a 3rd of a bar of meter. If you think they will go for armor to blow up your followup f211, you can jail into 122 after the bombs (while also calling Stryker again). By blocking after 122, you can blow up any reversal armor or pokes, similarly to the b344 setup.

[edit] I finally got the timing down to jail multiple f2112's together. Timed correctly, there is no change to armor. You want to call back Stryker just after the f2 hits and before it is fully out of the opponent, like the last few frames before it is out.

122: If you call Stryker VERY early, you can jail into f2. You have to press 1 and back-Stryker at the same time, then press 22. So b1+Stryker)22. The grenades will jail off 122 and f2 will jail after the grenades. This allows you to jail into the f211 sequence mentioned above if you have a full bar for Stryker. This will not work after the f211 setup, since Stryker is still on cooldown. However, if instead of pressing 1+Stryker, you press 12+Stryker2, then he will come out. Similarly to the b344 setup, you can just block for a sec after the 122. If they try to do anything other than armor or block, the bombs will hit and allow you to kombo off of them. If they armor, you will block it and punish. If they block, your followup f211 will beat anything except armor. You can continue linking this together as long as you have Stryker bar. Even if you mess up the timing and do the followup 122 too late, allowing them to armor, the 1 and bombs will connect and break the armor.

I'm sure there are many more setups and routes you can take, but that's what I've been able to discover to far.

TO PRACTICE: Because of the small gap after f2, it is a really pain in the ass to test these again reversals, since the opponent will immediately try to reversal after f2 and get blown up by the 11. So, you have to turn off Reversal, input the f2(Stryker)112, pause, enable Reversal after the gap in f211, and then continue from there. The alternative is to master the sequences against a blocking opponent, then record the opponent doing them to you and try to counter them.

navvy

Noob
This Stryker stuff is very fake, you can get d2 trade every time unless you time it very well but its not that easy I feel like