What's new

Video/Tutorial - Sun God Sun God Choke! Let's Put 'Em All to Sleep! (videos and discussion)

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I actually came away with that impression also. While it was never stated directly that b1 was a tick grab again, when Paulo spoke about Kotal's EX tick grabs, he used b1 as his example for it working on hit. It could just be that he was used to b1 being the go to tick throw for Kotal, but that does imply that it's back. It's nothing concrete though.

EDIT: Here is the part I was talking about. 25:25 if the time didn't set right.

Hi guys. I have picked Sun God recently and I have much fun with him. Of course I want to be better with him.
I have a question about thick Choke (I mean normal cancelled into Choke right now not delay SGD).
Don't you feel the new grab mechanism too risky? I mean eg. B1, D1 xx Choke grabs on block but whiffs on hit and that's a terrible scenario for whiff punish.
If I feel that my opponent will block I want to use the thick Choke (or continue string if I feel it will hit) but it is still 50/50 with a high risk medium reward.

Or how do you do it effectively? I won't be able to "block confirm" B1, B14, D1...

Thank you and I apologize if it is a too basic question. I am just picked him 2 weeks ago, need more exp.

Last edited:
B122, best way to learn and see if u hit confirm.
B122 is okay of course. :) and 114 too.

Question was dropping a B1 choke cancel or a D1 choke cancel. I feel when the opponent will block anyway and I am confident to drop that B1 xxChoke but that's a very punishable tip from me. :)

B122 xx exPizza has gap for armor though but as I saw it is respected very much not to armored too often. :)

There are more matches, for some reason it copied the time I had paused it at.
Oh I will check it. I watched the vs Tanya match and as you said it was 3-4 games I thought I was done. I keep looking for it. :)

EDIT: I found the other games as well. :D
You played very well against Grandmaster especially with Sun God (and so on with Kung Lao :D). I didn't think it would be able to managed. Well, this videos help me improve my Kotal play. :)

Last edited:

sMooFy

Noob
Hey guys,

i just picked up Sun God a couple of weeks ago and i just wanted to ask on any tips with the Takeda Matchup.
Are there any good tactics to escape his pressure? Because i just cant get out of it.
Sun God is just way too much fun, so i dont allways want to switch to War God everytime.

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Hey guys,

i just picked up Sun God a couple of weeks ago and i just wanted to ask on any tips with the Takeda Matchup.
Are there any good tactics to escape his pressure? Because i just cant get out of it.
Sun God is just way too much fun, so i dont allways want to switch to War God everytime.
I haven't fought a 'good' Takeda since the XL patch, or one in general for quite a while now. But Sun God does get the job done. When Takeda is forced to block your normals, mix him up with tick trows and Kotal's + frames. Outside of Ronin and potentially Lasher (lack of personal matchup knowledge to talk about Lasher's armour) Takeda's armour is slow and unsafe, but you still have to respect it. Try baiting it out and punish accordingly.

I will admit, War God has the advantage in the match-up but I feel Sun God does well too. Try to stay close enough to Takeda so you can punish the gaps he has with Moon God Choke, and try to avoid jumping as Takeda's b21 will catch you.

sMooFy

Noob
I haven't fought a 'good' Takeda since the XL patch, or one in general for quite a while now. But Sun God does get the job done. When Takeda is forced to block your normals, mix him up with tick trows and Kotal's + frames. Outside of Ronin and potentially Lasher (lack of personal matchup knowledge to talk about Lasher's armour) Takeda's armour is slow and unsafe, but you still have to respect it. Try baiting it out and punish accordingly.

I will admit, War God has the advantage in the match-up but I feel Sun God does well too. Try to stay close enough to Takeda so you can punish the gaps he has with Moon God Choke, and try to avoid jumping as Takeda's b21 will catch you.
Thanks, i'm really jumping way too much against Takeda. I'll try to work on that. :D

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
Why is B122 Air Grab unsafe and 114 Air Grab safe?

Thanks in advance!!!

@Mr Aquaman
Mechanically speaking... 1,1,4 was already +1 on block and the cancel advantage from air throw adds to that. b+1,2,2 is really unsafe to begin with (which is why people armor between the second 2 and EX sunstone), and the cancel advantage doesn't allow Kotal to recover faster in order to make up the disadvantage difference.