What's new

Strategy Sub Zero's Anti-Air Options

Panque

Random foreign guy
I have to admit AA is the area I suck the most with SZ. Being a online warrior for the most of the time doesn't exactly helps. Most of the players who give me a hard time jump in and away all the time.
I'd like to ask to you guys, what move do you use in what situation?
By situation I mean far Jump-ins, close jump-ins, cross ups, jump-outs and all that.... I know the clone is one of the best AA tools in the game, but I think it leaves you too vulnerable to opponents who have air teleports or that are close enough to make your clone whiff.

Dark_Rob

Noob
2,2 is my ultimate anti air. That sword reaches almost up to the life bars. It can even catch opponents going over your head in crossover attempts.
2,2 is still ridiculous. Most sub players tend to favor 2,1 but to me 2,2 is his best string. Though in reality 2,1 in conjunction with 2,2 is even more devastating.

I dont really use the clone as an AA on reaction. The proximity is to great and you really have to be fast. I do catch alot of AA clones but most of those are baits and reads.

One thing you can do to bait jumpins is simply walk backwards. This invites jump ins alot in order to close the distance quickly. Back up and 2,2,ice blast into combo of choice.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Honestly, I need someone to beat it into my head to use AA moves... I always forget them and end up just blocking like a dumbass when people jump in on me.

The funny thing is, I played a sonya the other day who would just jump, jump, jump, constantly... I happened to pick noob saibot and did nothing but upknee the entire match. I sent them a message after they ragequit saying I was trying to help them learn to not jump so much. And here I can't use AA (with anyone but Noob) to save my life. lmao... fail.

Panque

Random foreign guy
Most of the time I try 22, I'm to late and get punished by a full combo (keep in mind it's online)... Guess I'll just have to improve my reactions and reads. I can really see that walking backwards thing working, thanks!

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Me too,

but for the suckers that cross jump non stop a good sweep will catch them online,
offline 2.2. is no problem

Edgar Inc

B3 everything
As much as I dont use Sub-Zero, I get hit out of the air alot by b1 when fighting against him. Might be unreliable, but just thought Id throw it out there just incase it happens to be useful.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Honestly, Sub's 22 is up there with Jax's standing 1 and Kung Lao's Spin as the best anti-airs in the game. Not only is it's range deceptively massive, but it does it at 9 frames! And you can combo off it?

Pure gold.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Most of the time I try 22, I'm to late and get punished by a full combo (keep in mind it's online)... Guess I'll just have to improve my reactions and reads. I can really see that walking backwards thing working, thanks!
Ive never played online so I cant speak intelligently about how it would work online. Offline you want to do the 2,2 early. This is because you want to the first 2 to whiff and the sword to hit them. Because of the sweeping arc of the sword there really isnt any timing to it. If they are up in the air when that sword comes out they are getting hit. I have actually AA'd Kung lao out of a jump in cancelled into teleport when hes right at the top of the screen this way. The range on that sword is insane.

Alternatively, and this isnt one I use a whole lot, but Ive seen Tom Brady abuse the hell out of this, You can wait till they get lower and just use the first 2 to AA them. The first 2 doesnt have the range of the sword but its just as good an AA as anything else when they are coming down on you. And you can still cancel 2 into ice blast for full combo. The timing when just using the first 2 is a little stricter but with a little practice can definitely be done consistantly.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
2,2 is my ultimate anti air. That sword reaches almost up to the life bars. It can even catch opponents going over your head in crossover attempts.
2,2 is still ridiculous. Most sub players tend to favor 2,1 but to me 2,2 is his best string. Though in reality 2,1 in conjunction with 2,2 is even more devastating.

I dont really use the clone as an AA on reaction. The proximity is to great and you really have to be fast. I do catch alot of AA clones but most of those are baits and reads.

One thing you can do to bait jumpins is simply walk backwards. This invites jump ins alot in order to close the distance quickly. Back up and 2,2,ice blast into combo of choice.

Yeah, if the SZ uses only 2,2 or only 2,1 he is just obsolete. On ground, I'd say 2,1 is the best for starting pressure. From there you have a large variety of things that you can do 2,2 included of course. As a anti-air tool, no question about it: 2,2 is your best friend. Offline, online, doesn't really matter.

And like you already stated the idea of walking is always good as SZ. :)

Honestly, Sub's 22 is up there with Jax's standing 1 and Kung Lao's Spin as the best anti-airs in the game. Not only is it's range deceptively massive, but it does it at 9 frames! And you can combo off it?

Pure gold.
Totally. I reminds me KL's spin sometimes. a) you can combo out of it, b) it's hit box hit low, medium, high and back lol!

Metalic

Noob
Basically just mimicing what's been said. 22 is THE AA for Sub. I find myself using B1 ever now and again, comes out in one motion and has a deceptively big hitbox. Taking a step or two back then 22'ing is my go-to, though. Works like a charm.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
2,2 is by far the best anti air for sub zero. Either hits of the 2,2 are good, just the timings are different. See whats good for you :)
What do you guys think about using b+1, 2 as an anti air. I know its slow as hell, but I saw wonderchef doing it pretty consistently here. What are your thoughts?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
AAs online are ass. The only characters I can consistently AA with are characters with fast uppercuts online. KL's spin is easy to AA with online too, obviously, but standing 1s and I'd imagine Sub's 22 require you to crunch that out immediately after your opponent's feet leave the ground as opposed to giving you plenty of time to react offline.

It's just another suck factor of online to deal with, but it affects my offline game clearly, since I'm still spending the vast majority of my games online.

Seapeople

This one's for you
AAs online are ass. The only characters I can consistently AA with are characters with fast uppercuts online. KL's spin is easy to AA with online too, obviously, but standing 1s and I'd imagine Sub's 22 require you to crunch that out immediately after your opponent's feet leave the ground as opposed to giving you plenty of time to react offline.

It's just another suck factor of online to deal with, but it affects my offline game clearly, since I'm still spending the vast majority of my games online.
22 really doesn't take good timing. It's an amazing anti air and can pretty much be spammed from sweep distance :)

For the OP, if cross ups give you trouble NJP is also a good tool to learn.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I don't see many players using NJP consistently. I really love it!

The only guy I've seem using it very wisely was DetroitBalling.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance

Bro you are not lyng. We had our first little offline gathering down here, and I couldn't do shit :( I had to bow out of the ran bat cause I was relegated to day one 214 shit. I was trying to input so fast because I am so used to the lag online. It was very, very humbling. /endderailingrant
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Admittedly, I'm pretty shitty online but I think it's because I force myself not to adhere to the lag. Kinda sucks but ah well. I'd rather do well offline than online lol

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Admittedly, I'm pretty shitty online but I think it's because I force myself not to adhere to the lag. Kinda sucks but ah well. I'd rather do well offline than online lol
I feel you man. I'm trying to slow my thumbs down online so that the transition isn't so jawing. But man, offline iswhere it's at, I have seen the light. gotta say though, cross ups/njp offline made me feel so scrubby. "really beef? Whiffing.cross ups now??" I won't even talk about what it was like trying to play scorpion offline. For the first time...smh
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Panque

Random foreign guy
I went to what is probably the biggest FG tournament my country has ever seen used to online lag (I must have played like 20-30 matches offline with friends, ages ago). Needless to say, I got pwnd. Didn't think it would be so bad, since I play most of the top players around here all the time online and I manage to get a few wins... But it was bad. REALLY bad. I felt like I was relearning everything.

It's a whole different game man...

Panque

Random foreign guy
When you go to the training mode, if you miss the first few combos you try due to being used to lag, you can try again right away and adjust your timing. Good luck doing that in the middle of a big tournament, playing a good opponent, a bit nervous, with little sleep and hungry as fuck.

2~ice blast is the best anti air and 100% consistent vs all jump ins. maybe if this forum didnt shun everything tom brady and actually watched or posted even ONE match vid of mine this would be common knowledge by now. sub-zero's 2 is one of the absolute best aa's in the game. you cannot jump at sub-zero..

its upsetting to see just how bad the state of this sub-zero forum is. by far its the character forum with the least amount of info and knowledge.

Enenra

Go to hell.
2~ice blast is the best anti air and 100% consistent vs all jump ins. maybe if this forum didnt shun everything tom brady and actually watched or posted even ONE match vid of mine this would be common knowledge by now. sub-zero's 2 is one of the absolute best aa's in the game. you cannot jump at sub-zero..

its upsetting to see just how bad the state of this sub-zero forum is. by far its the character forum with the least amount of info and knowledge.
How do you really feel?

Enenra

Go to hell.
i feel like troll comments like yours are one of the biggest reasons this forum is in the state its in. this forum needs content, info, high level match vids from tourneys/money matches by top level players.
Dude, it's alright. I was trying to elevate the mood with some humor. I actually like you. And I don't main Sub Zero anymore and haven't for awhile. I get why you're so mad at Sub Zero forum goers, but you have to understand, when you make videos calling him a shitty character when you were at one time the "face" of Sub Zero, people will get mad. Such is the nature of things.

I respect you and everything you do for the kommunity. You're a phenomenal player and a tremendous asset to the kommunity. High level play is always welcome, but I can count on one hand the number of top level Sub Zeros. Feel free to hit up Sub Zero again in a comfy match up, or a match up not so comfortable knowing your Lao can make up for it if need be, to show everyone how it's done.