What's new

Guide - Unbreakable Sub-Zero UNBREAKABLE Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
· Back + 2 > (run up) Forward + 4,2 ~ Slide - 22%

I can't seem to get the slide to happen after the run up, forward 4, 2

Lokheit

Noob
I'm starting to toy with this variation as it gave me the best results against invasion boss Mileena (mostly because with all that full armor, cryomancer and grand master couldn't get much use of their unique features).

I think it would definitely jump to a whole different level if you could cast the ice armor when it's active to restart the timer. Most times you're forced to use it at the beginning of a combo, which means you're losing armor time while you complete the combo, or you're forced to push for some pokes+armor to keep it active and there are so many things happening during a combat that you don't know if it will be active when you need it the most.

The parry has potential and I have to test it a lot. The punish for missing it is huge though so you really need to know what you're doing with it.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I think this variation could possibly compete to be his best variation. Only time will tell as everybody starts to level up slowly.
I'm inclined to agree. I feel like Unbreakable has the potential to surpass Grandmaster as the better variation, particularly when people start to universally learn how to punish corner clone attempts and/or blocked B2's.

Oh, you punished my B2 on block? Good thing that I (probably) had EX Ice Aura up! Because that punish that would have normally netted you 20 - 30% damage just now tickled me! Seriously....I'm talking Pillsbury Dough Boy type shit!

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I'm having so much fun in this variation. Ice Aura is activated 24/7 with me I forgot what chip damage means.

I'm inclined to agree. I feel like Unbreakable has the potential to surpass Grandmaster as the better variation, particularly when people start to universally learn how to punish corner clone attempts and/or blocked B2's.

Oh, you punished my B2 on block? Good thing that I (probably) had EX Ice Aura up! Because that punish that would have normally netted you 20 - 30% damage just now tickled me! Seriously....I'm talking Pillsbury Dough Boy type shit!
Isn't SZ too meter dependent to have ex ice aura up all the time though?

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
I'm having so much fun in this variation. Ice Aura is activated 24/7 with me I forgot what chip damage means.
Yeah man Unbreakable is the shit. Funny how I only started using it yesterday and only then realized how much potential it has in offense with that parry ice shield and ice aura. You can freeze people on reaction, that's so fucking dope when u can catch people of the guard when they don't expect it in their counter attack.
Ice aura is also dope with that 0 chip dmg / reduced dmg taking on EX'd version. You put aura and then start real strong offense with less risk and on top of that you can counter with instant ice parry.

I really love Cryomancer for it's biggest dmg combos for Subby, it's also really great, but Im starting to love Unbreakable even more now. It has a lot more mind games and tricks with it's unique abilities.

So far Grandmaster is somehow my least favourite. Especially since you can get punished with EX special after your string-clone combo (unless u ex your clone) by pretty much all of the cast.

Haven't tried out yet, but IMO it's parry will also work a lot better against cornered opponent's wake up attacks then with Grandmaster's clone.

Last edited:

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Idk I tried unbreakable cause dat ICE MASK!!! But the fact that the parry has so much recovery, loses to jump ins (which every one is jumping around like a manic in this game) and sometime I get hit out of the start up of parry makes me not like this variation that much....idk I want to play it but lol I guess I get "cold feet" when it come to unbreakable. Ingnore malt awful pun I couldn't resist. But I think I'm going to give it another try. So how would most people recommend playing this variation?

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
So how would most people recommend playing this variation?
Catch people on reactions or their wakeups with Ice Shield. Do pressure strings and if u know ur opponent will counter just freeze that fucker with the shield. I just came from the lab and I can confirm his ice shield (not even EX'd) stops opponents EX attacks right afer your string. Unlike Grandmaster, which will get hit through the clone when opponent instantly counters with EX special.

Use EX Ice aura to get in, because u can take that risk since on EX version u will take less damage on punish. But at the same time you will receive 0 chip damage.

Long story short IMO this variation has the best balance between Offense/Defense. It works both ways really.

Im also just starting this variation as I was allways Cryomancer player, but Im really starting to love it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Catch people on reactions or their wakeups with Ice Shield. Do pressure strings and if u know ur opponent will counter just freeze that fucker with the shield. I just came from the lab and I can confirm his ice shield (not even EX'd) stops opponents EX attacks right afer your string. Unlike Grandmaster, which will get hit through the clone when opponent instantly counters with EX special.

Use EX Ice aura to get in, because u can take that risk since on EX version u will take less damage on punish. But at the same time you will receive 0 chip damage.

Im also just starting this variation as I was allways Cryomancer player, but Im really starting to love it.
He only has 1 0 on block move and the parry is 5/2f startup.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So that's hella fast.
Good luck trying to do this off of any other string. F12 is completely useless unless as a combo ender.

How are you going to "pressure" or parry anything when the only string that allows you to do so isn't hitconfirmable, doesn't give a combo nor continues pressure effectively on hit outside of Grandmaster?

Every other string is either punishable or has the parry coming out at 10f minimum.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Good luck trying to do this off of any other string. F12 is completely useless unless as a combo ender.

How are you going to "pressure" or parry anything when the only string that allows you to do so isn't hitconfirmable, doesn't give a combo nor continues pressure effectively on hit outside of Grandmaster?

Every other string is either punishable or has the parry coming out at 10f minimum.
That's what I'm actually wondering myself, at the very least that explains why I sometimes get hit out of parry start up, but canceling into Ice aura I think helps him sort of maintain pressure since the move seems ( and I say seems since I haven't really explored the form much out side of a few games.) to cancel out the recovery he had on strings, similar to clone. But honestly you only get to aura once and then deal with the string recovery. But I'm still gonna try this form cause dat ICE MASK!!!!!

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
@Tom Brady if you land an ice ball from full screen, you have enough time to use (MB) Ice Aura and Run across the screen to combo afterwards. :)

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main

Lol good luck with what? With the fact that I somehow manage to end my strings with Parry and catch unavare opponents who go into instant counter-attack? Or the fact that even normal version of shield holds of against EX'd Special on counter? 5 frame start up (2 on ex) is more than enough to catch people on reaction, wakeup. Been doing this whole day for now, best part is that even works online. Dunno what are you trying to prove me here, but the fact that u can catch people of the guard with it stands.

I have a question about how to counter Ermac's teleport. Which strings can punish him for it. I have played against good ermac who was constantly porting and going for his low/overhead starter. He really didn't need anything else. I tried to punish his teleport but I couldnt' do anything before he managed to go for low pokes and then again low kick/overhead and combo. I knew it will be very difficult to counter once I discover it playing as Ermac. Now I see Ermac players are using it very effectively.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
@Tom Brady
Combo updates...

ENHANCED OPEN SPACE:
Back + 2 > (run up) Back + 1,2 ~ Enhanced Ice Blast > (don't walk forward at all) Neutral Jump 1 or 2 > Back + 1,2 ~ Slide - 32% **This one keeps them on the same side**
Back + 2 > (run up) Back + 1,2 ~ Enhanced Ice Blast > Neutral Jump 1 or 2 > (run up) 1 > Forward 4,2,1+3 - 32% **This one throws them to the other side**

Both of these are easier than the NJP to Jump 2 into run b12 slide
After some practice, I was able to do the harder variation consistently:
b2, run~b12~EX Iceball, NJP, JP, run~b12~Slide - 33%

It feels like I am doing RSF with El Fuerte when I do the run parts of the combo. You basically do ff~block~b+1~2. Know that the run~b12 after b2 does not work on all characters... so test accordingly.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
that ice mask is real tho! Im trying to find praise in unbreakable but im not seeing it. its great the shield block some projectiles but the window for actual attacks seem so small.

the only thing i wonder is if unbreakable fully counters johnnie cages fisticuffs ability to do added chip, if so that would be pretty troll honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.