What's new

Sub-Zero General Discussion

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah there’s an obvious agenda against Sub-Zero. Players (of all skill levels) don’t want him to be strong.

I just hope NRS does the right thing and buffs him well in the first balance patch.

I know my view is extreme, but I genuinely think he’s near unplayable in any serious setting with money on the line.

I’m moving on to Kenshi for kombat league. Only playing Sub in practice mode and casual.
I agree. I will stick with Sub I think, but I have yet to try everyone. Still plan to try Kitana, Liu, and Lao but I don’t like Mileena and Scorpion like I was hoping. I’ll definitely try Takeda when he comes out but I hope Sub doesn’t stay like this

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I agree. I will stick with Sub I think, but I have yet to try everyone. Still plan to try Kitana, Liu, and Lao but I don’t like Mileena and Scorpion like I was hoping. I’ll definitely try Takeda when he comes out but I hope Sub doesn’t stay like this
Yeah a lot of characters don’t tick all the boxes design, and gameplay wise. And the fact that pretty much every character is about rushdown and mixups is so boring. Hope you find someone fun to play until Sub gets fixed.

I have my eye on Takeda too. I hope they incorporate all of his MKX weapons.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah a lot of characters don’t tick all the boxes design, and gameplay wise. And the fact that pretty much every character is about rushdown and mixups is so boring. Hope you find someone fun to play until Sub gets fixed.

I have my eye on Takeda too. I hope they incorporate all of his MKX weapons.
Since variations are gone, I'm wondering what they will include in the "definitive" Takeda. The whips for sure, but the lightsabers? The teleport? Will he have developed his powers from his dad more?

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Everything you said is my experience. For some reason people who don’t play Sub think this character is so great because of what he can do in training mode or against incompetent players.
Agreed and I know I’ve said this maybe twice but people continually “1 and done” you online with sub often then take the run back. 8/10 times the opponent will beat me, Talk mess and or fatality me and then Immediately duck the run back…

if I pick Johnny and or another character this hasn’t been the case so far )I’m not saying it couldn’t happen but it’s been rare since launch)…

BanTheTesters

I actually agree with this to a degree, but that’s looking at Sub in a vacuum, which is where I disagree. Yes he can meaty when they choose not to armor but he has to make the correct read as always, we have characters with guaranteed setups, way more than plus frames that can only be followed up with a basic strike / throw or 15 frame mid that ends -7, or string into another low hat. Which is fine if this game were full of more reasonable characters, but it’s full of degenerate characters. I also enjoy him a lot regardless. And I agree man, I’m getting a ton of mileage out of air klone and dive kick. Establishing air klone early on in a match makes BF2 way more effective since they’re not so keen to jump it. I don’t know if low hat is enough to offset what you’re giving up for Sonya, Goro, Sub-Zero, or Sareena, but Lao is definitely a good kameo for him.
I completely forgot about air clone…

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Since variations are gone, I'm wondering what they will include in the "definitive" Takeda. The whips for sure, but the lightsabers? The teleport? Will he have developed his powers from his dad more?
I feel like it’ll be Takeda from another timeline. So maybe he’ll still be trained by Scorpion. He looks like the one who got killed in the story mode tbh.

I really don’t want to play rush down but it looks like I’ll have to.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Agreed and I know I’ve said this maybe twice but people continually “1 and done” you online with sub often then take the run back. 8/10 times the opponent will be me, Talk mess and or fatality me and then Immediately duck the run back…

if I pick Johnny and or another character this hasn’t been the case so far )I’m not saying it couldn’t happen but it’s been rare since launch)…
Yeah people hate Sub-Zero and find him boring to play against. That’s why I say there’s an agenda against the character.

Personally I find characters like Cage boring who get in easily and prevent half the cast from even playing the game.

BanTheTesters

Yeah people hate Sub-Zero and find him boring to play against. That’s why I say there’s an agenda against the character.

Personally I find characters like Cage boring who get in easily and prevent half the cast from even playing the game.
I don’t want to but I might give Shang another try.. and maybe for KL

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I feel like it’ll be Takeda from another timeline. So maybe he’ll still be trained by Scorpion. He looks like the one who got killed in the story mode tbh.

I really don’t want to play rush down but it looks like I’ll have to.
I bet he shows up in the story expansion, hopefully its not the one who gets uber jobbed.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Lol, just had someone I played kasuals with msg me saying Sub's 50/50 is so annoying, and they hate how safe he is on everything... talk about not knowing the matchup! I guess there are advantages to playing a lesser-used character like Sub

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Lol, just had someone I played kasuals with msg me saying Sub's 50/50 is so annoying, and they hate how safe he is on everything... talk about not knowing the matchup! I guess there are advantages to playing a lesser-used character like Sub
It’s irritating because it’s so easy to lab. It’s not like ooh what is sento gonna do, it’s ok he’s in my face let’s block low and react to the overhead. You literally just practice reacting to it in the lab and can easily react to and recognize the animation. As for the safety I’m assuming he means the klone cancels. Once again you can just practice reacting to seeing it come out on block and punishing. There is no weird pushback or block stun or anything to get used to, you see it and punish it, that’s it.

Sage-Of-Light

Student of Nature

hello just some set ups with subzero I prefere to do air 12 into clone instead of 21 because its more consistent its just some ideas I also added a bonus match in the end enjoy

andyee

Noob
has anyone had any success with sub/goro? i've seen tweedy mention that it's a good pairing for huge combos off of ex slide servicing as an armored launcher and being able to make yourself plus with the call-in. i'm not too familiar with sub combos, but off of doing something basic like ex slide > goro > air string > ground string > slide, the damage seems relatively low for 1 bar 1 kameo

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
has anyone had any success with sub/goro? i've seen tweedy mention that it's a good pairing for huge combos off of ex slide servicing as an armored launcher and being able to make yourself plus with the call-in. i'm not too familiar with sub combos, but off of doing something basic like ex slide > goro > air string > ground string > slide, the damage seems relatively low for 1 bar 1 kameo
It’s a pretty decent combo. It helps with conversions and and making his mixups safe. The thing is even with Goro sub can’t compete with the rest of the offense in this game.

I don’t know if Goro helps his neutral game either.

BanTheTesters

Lol one of the most reachable overheads in the game

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Also taught me I don't dive kick enough
Yeah it's a big part of his kit.

That said, the run almost feels hilarious. There's 0 way they intended sub to win by timeout this much. Sure being defensive and making them come to him, absolutely, but it's just silly how slowly he has to grind everyone out when they're on 1 touch into 40+ as the standard.

The saddest part was watching to see what he was doing on a hit with slide. Looks like it's mostly d1 or back up. Literally there's a moment where he slides reiko into the corner....and he backs up. Because that's what you should do with sub. Even cornering your opponent, you are better off far away from them.

Ugh.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Yeah it's a big part of his kit.

That said, the run almost feels hilarious. There's 0 way they intended sub to win by timeout this much. Sure being defensive and making them come to him, absolutely, but it's just silly how slowly he has to grind everyone out when they're on 1 touch into 40+ as the standard.

The saddest part was watching to see what he was doing on a hit with slide. Looks like it's mostly d1 or back up. Literally there's a moment where he slides reiko into the corner....and he backs up. Because that's what you should do with sub. Even cornering your opponent, you are better off far away from them.

Ugh.
“The character, is garbage.”