What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Bison has no anti-airs? Cr.HP seems to be a great anti-air. His super completely surrounds him, and he gets a combo off j.mp. Am I missing something?

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
This game is pissing me off so much right now. So I'm a frame late and getting hit by random shoryukens and grabs while I pressure or after a jump attack.. because everyone online is mashing buttons. wtf I'm not used to that lol. I don't get this game at all.
The timings are way harder but very doable with practice compared to previous SF games. When I picked up this game i realized that NRS has spoiled us with easy as hell things, I can see why people call MK an easy game now lol.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
This game is pissing me off so much right now. So I'm a frame late and getting hit by random shoryukens and grabs while I pressure or after a jump attack.. because everyone online is mashing buttons. wtf I'm not used to that lol. I don't get this game at all.
There aren't huge strings like in MK that you can dial out and mix together into juggles. Only certain things link together when you do them with the correct timing. IMO, the combos are just as easy if not more easy than MK in terms of execution. Just practice them like anything else.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Sometimes I wonder if people lab a character or just learn a combo, go online and not realize they don't know shit. It amazes how easy it to lack basic info in a fighting game. Not that every dev makes it easy to know.

Oh I think I've decided on Mika, Ken, Zangief and F.A.N.G. One thing that's pissing me off is that ranked is one match. Why are two indies the only FG to even think about 2 match ranked?

Last edited:
The timings are way harder but very doable with practice compared to previous SF games. When I picked up this game i realized that NRS has spoiled us with easy as hell things, I can see why people call MK an easy game now lol.
In my 1 week experience with SF I say this game encourages you to mash buttons. Even your footsie tools gets beaten if your opponents is mashing d1, and there is no whiff punishing that. In MK you can't just mash buttons and beat a player who knows frame data. So I don't call MK easier. Easier on execution, sure. But MK rewards game knowledge better, because you can't lose because you are late by a fucking frame.

There aren't huge strings like in MK that you can dial out and mix together into juggles. Only certain things link together when you do them with the correct timing. IMO, the combos are just as easy if not more easy than MK in terms of execution. Just practice them like anything else.
The combos are as easy as MK? No dude, you got it wrong there. All execution in this game is way too hard if you are looking for some casual fun. I get it, it's supposed to be a competitive game and for tournaments it will work perfect. But if someone is just looking for some fun, I find the execution unnecessary difficult. Look at Zangief's command grab for example. Why it has to be fdbu punch and couldn't it be df punch or something. And to make that shit hit after d1 and not whiff, you need to be frame perfect? wtf!

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Yeah after any V-trigger guard break you can get a combo if you're close enough. I was just telling the 2 different moves ryu has that does it.
And you can absorb 4 hits with the Zangief V-Skill. 2 for flexing and 2 when he starts crab walking.

Maybe because you got those scrubby V-trigger mixups??? :eek::coffee:

@THTB @smokey @@MylesWright_ I've been playing F.A.N.G and he feels like he has the tools to not end up in the corner. I can make even Ryu and Chun come to me. Then play from a range where Chun and Birdie used to be the only dominant forces. Everything this guy does hits from further out than where he is standing. One trick I like his cr.HP anti air but cancel the first hit into the HK ground cloud. They have to react to getting AA'd into a back roll to avoid the setup which is just fine for F.A.N.G

And can people stop complaining about waking up. Unless you get CC or beat to the corner you're fine in this game. Even then it's so easy to just block on wake up. Then you take like 2 buttons and you're back to neutral.
what is this day beta day 1 her v-trigger isn't even that good

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
In my 1 week experience with SF I say this game encourages you to mash buttons. Even your footsie tools gets beaten if your opponents is mashing d1, and there is no whiff punishing that. In MK you can't just mash buttons and beat a player who knows frame data. So I don't call MK easier. Easier on execution, sure. But MK rewards game knowledge better, because you can't lose because you are late by a fucking frame.

The combos are as easy as MK? No dude, you got it wrong there. All execution in this game is way too hard if you are looking for some casual fun. I get it, it's supposed to be a competitive game and for tournaments it will work perfect. But if someone is just looking for some fun, I find the execution unnecessary difficult. Look at Zangief's command grab for example. Why it has to be fdbu punch and couldn't it be df punch or something. And to make that shit hit after d1 and not whiff, you need to be frame perfect? wtf!
There are people that hate the DBF inputs in MK as well, but they also exist. Regardless, my opinion on the execution on this game is that overall it is pretty easy, especially when you compare it to other SF games.

Wetdoba

All too easy...

Footsie tools losing to mashed jabs is just wrong. There is a normal priority system in this game that prevents that. Moves that are the same strength only will trade, any move of a higher strength takes priority in any situation that would trade. If someone is mashing pokes (light attacks) then any medium or heavy attack will out prioritize them and win clean. So footie tools should never lose to jabs

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
The only thing I'm not liking so far are the weird and seemingly arbitrary rules on when I can juggle someone. It seems that many moves will knock up an opponent and leave you with enough advantage to follow up, but your attack will pass right through them. I definitely prefer the MK system that says "if a hurtbox connects with a hitbox, then the character is hit".

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
In my 1 week experience with SF I say this game encourages you to mash buttons.
You sound more salty than I do about this game. If anything mashing is discouraged because of cross counters, high combo damage and how easy it is in general to convert of a counter hit.

The only thing I'm not liking so far are the weird and seemingly arbitrary rules on when I can juggle someone. It seems that many moves will knock up an opponent and leave you with enough advantage to follow up, but your attack will pass right through them. I definitely prefer the MK system that says "if a hurtbox connects with a hitbox, then the character is hit".
It's overly limiting. I've knocked people out of the air with projectiles and had them juggle on a poison trap and all you get of such a rare situation is repositionng or a knockdown set-up when it should be some kind of Marvel-esque Magneto air conversion

Last edited:

kaseyk

Noob

i personally find sfv combo execution very easy compared to high end combos on mkx , ive played liu kang for a year and still drop iafb combos or mess up a f44fbrc .
gief command grab motion may have seemed easy to me thx to liu iafb though

Can I ask where this happened?
As for the Gief stuff, how are you trying to do this? On hit or block?

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord

Well bad people are going to mash buttons in every game, in SF you have to learn your frame traps and have a timing down. You can actually stop mashers with crush counters, most crush counters give you a lot of damage so they either stop mashing or lose huge damage everytime.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
If your opponent's mashing cr.lp just keep pressing stronger, more damaging buttons. They'll never trade and the risk/reward is heavily in your favour.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

You just are trying to play like its MK, which won't work.

If you mash buttons then someone who is good will just use a move to crush counter you for big damage. So if for example someone mashes light moves, I can out-prioritize it with a medium or heavy move and get a combo from it. You could also just do a jump in move on someone mashing pokes as it will hit overhead and beat the poke.

The second half of your statement is ridiculous. I would guess that you don't actually know SF frame data yet and that is ironically why you are losing. Lab the MUs before going online and see what it does for you. SFV rewards game knowledge like any game does.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
what is this day beta day 1 her v-trigger isn't even that good
Twas a joke lad.

What situation are you talking about? SF uses a hidden juggle point system. After every hit the juggle count goes up one point and you have to use a stronger move. That's why EX bar is mostly used to extend combos. SF isn't a game designed to knock off thirds of you're opponent's health every time you touch them. If a character can easily launch in this game then they most likely have an easy way to followup.

Reactions: GAV

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Twas a joke lad.

What situation are you talking about? SF uses a hidden juggle point system. After every hit the juggle count goes up one point and you have to use a stronger move. That's why EX bar is mostly used to extend combos. SF isn't a game designed to knock off thirds of you're opponent's health every time you touch them. If a character can easily launch in this game then they most likely have an easy way to followup.
It's mainly that some attacks will connect, while others will simply pass through the opponent. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll mess with it in practice mode and get back to you.

Also, anyone know how the fuck I get the recorded Wake-Up moves to work in Practice Mode? It's driving me crazy that nothing is explained. What the fuck does "Interval Setting" do? Does "Wake-Up Slowdown" just make it easier to record, or does it affect the wakeup in any way? I've got Ryu set to do his uppercut special when he wakes up, but he simply refuses to do it. I can get Guard Recovery playback to work, just not Wake-Up playback.

It's mainly that some attacks will connect, while others will simply pass through the opponent. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll mess with it in practice mode and get back to you.

Also, anyone know how the fuck I get the recorded Wake-Up moves to work in Practice Mode? It's driving me crazy that nothing is explained. What the fuck does "Interval Setting" do? Does "Wake-Up Slowdown" just make it easier to record, or does it affect the wakeup in any way? I've got Ryu set to do his uppercut special when he wakes up, but he simply refuses to do it. I can get Guard Recovery playback to work, just not Wake-Up playback.
Make sure reversal shows up on the screen when you record or else it will not work, (didnt work for me) if you didnt already you have to record that too.

Footsie tools losing to mashed jabs is just wrong. There is a normal priority system in this game that prevents that. Moves that are the same strength only will trade, any move of a higher strength takes priority in any situation that would trade. If someone is mashing pokes (light attacks) then any medium or heavy attack will out prioritize them and win clean. So footie tools should never lose to jabs
They are losing when your character is moving forward before he hits. Just like Mileenas b12 will lose to pokes even though pokes have no range.

You sound more salty than I do about this game.
I'm currently losing to people who are just mashing buttons. I'm clearly salty af.

Can I ask where this happened?
As for the Gief stuff, how are you trying to do this? On hit or block?
Which one? The random grabs? All the time with me :). For Gief, both on block and hit. I just tried it on practice. I set the AI on reversal d1 and was trying to d1 grab. I noticed it worked only on very strict timing.

You just are trying to play like its MK, which won't work.

If you mash buttons then someone who is good will just use a move to crush counter you for big damage. So if for example someone mashes light moves, I can out-prioritize it with a medium or heavy move and get a combo from it. You could also just do a jump in move on someone mashing pokes as it will hit overhead and beat the poke.

The second half of your statement is ridiculous. I would guess that you don't actually know SF frame data yet and that is ironically why you are losing. Lab the MUs before going online and see what it does for you. SFV rewards game knowledge like any game does.
Well, the fact that I have no idea how crash counter works proves I don't know shit what I'm doing lol.

I clearly don't know all the frame data but I know many cases where I'm at the advantage and getting hit. So I'm not losing because I don't know frame data, I'm losing because timing is too difficult to get used to,

Also lol @ MK rewarding game knowledge better when there are a lot of unreactable 50/50's (some areeven safe) and ridiculous af to AAair normals.
Yeah and in SF my Anti-air special will not work because execution is annoying and get full combo'd. Because I pressed d f+R1 and didn't press the R1 after the f -_-

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
They are losing when your character is moving forward before he hits. Just like Mileenas b12 will lose to pokes even though pokes have no range.

I'm currently losing to people who are just mashing buttons. I'm clearly salty af.

Which one? The random grabs? All the time with me :). For Gief, both on block and hit. I just tried it on practice. I set the AI on reversal d1 and was trying to d1 grab. I noticed it worked only on very strict timing.

Well, the fact that I have no idea how crash counter works proves I don't know shit what I'm doing lol.

I clearly don't know all the frame data but I know many cases where I'm at the advantage and getting hit. So I'm not losing because I don't know frame data, I'm losing because timing is too difficult to get used to,

Yeah and in SF my Anti-air special will not work because execution is annoying and get full combo'd. Because I pressed d f+R1 and didn't press the R1 after the f -_-
wow man its called practice.. i don't understand why something not being 1 button to do everything or something is that frustrating? Did you fuckin Run the first time you crawled? this games super fuckin ez execution wise compared to like USF4 / 3s etc..

and this game has 300% more footsies then mkx does atm, with everyone having solid anti airs and being able to punish startup / active frames of normals. not to mention they made confirming single normals into CA / Specials super ez and leniant

There are people that hate the DBF inputs in MK as well, but they also exist. Regardless, my opinion on the execution on this game is that overall it is pretty easy, especially when you compare it to other SF games.
I haven't played other SF games so I wouldn't know, But in MK I find most execution easy and with SF everything too difficult.