What's new

Standing 4 as Anti-Air?

Inspired by Under_The_Mayo's recent Sektor video guide, I started exploring the properties and possibilities of Sektor's standing 4 as much as I was able to given my two-hands limit.

Besides the great knock-back on block, I was really interesting in it's potential as an anti-air. While it does have inferior range to b1 and flame burner, it can lead to up-missile traps and full combos. Here's some of the stuff I was able to get after just a few minutes messing around:

4>(EX) TU>214
4>(EX) TU>21>Up Missile
4>(EX) TU>d4>Up Missile
4>(EX) TU>b2>Flame Burner
4>TU>f44>EX TU>b2>Flame Burner (dependent upon where you catch them in the arc of their jump; impossible if too low)

I was not able to test how standing 4 interacts with cross-ups, so all of this may turn out to be useless. I also apologize if this has already been explored.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
it would only truly be effective if they jump at you from just outside of jump distance, but even then a standing 1 does the same thing essentially and is easier to juggle from, its also risky as mistiming leaves you open for full combo, if i were you i'd play it safe and stick to flamethrower :)

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
I've used 4 as an anti air with varying levels of sucess before. Tbh I think its much better to stick to standing 1 which is fast has great recovery and leads into a 28% meterless with human sektor.

Its decent as a normal too although tbh I find I can use f2 for more range and b1 if I want to send them away.

edit: mustard beat me to it by a second lol.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
standing 4 to straight missile is a good spacking/poking tool that I sometimes use

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
I've used 4 as an anti air with varying levels of sucess before. Tbh I think its much better to stick to standing 1 which is fast has great recovery and leads into a 28% meterless with human sektor.

Its decent as a normal too although tbh I find I can use f2 for more range and b1 if I want to send them away.

edit: mustard beat me to it by a second lol.
my speed is unrivalled, human :p

Altaire

Noob
The big issue with standing 4 anti-air is that even if it's viable, it's just not as viable as his other options. His uppercut and his flamethrower are his most consistent AA tools, and standing 1, which is still decent, grants him a combo.

Even his D4 anti air is more beneficial, because it shrinks his hitbox and can still be combo'd into.

Yeah, I wasn't proposing this as a replacement of any other anti-air options, just exploring it as an option to consider. Might was well explore all the tools, even if some of them are redundant.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
It's actually really good.. It has great range and kan be used against jump kicks. It also still gets people up close from what I've tested out.. I don't think this is a tool good Sektor players should leave out. It's slower than 1 that's for sure but if you anticipate a jump it grants you a full combo and is easier to land than the standing 1 kombo, plus it has better range. Using it with anticipation is key. If you make good reads, this is an invaluable tool..

galindo

Noob
im not a big fan of the standing one as an anti air, well, yeah its good, but you gotta be pretty careful with because its hitbox is not that good compared to let
s say shang tsungs 1, which is still fast and has an awesome anti air hitbox.

with sektor i gotta do it really early, and make sure he is infront of me, with shang i swear you can aa 1 them if they are nearly on top of your head lol.

ryublaze

Noob
Okay I was wondering what you guys think of 4, Up Missile? It's range is long and pushes the opponent back far enough where you might not get punished ("might" as in Reptile's Elbow Dash or JC's Shadow Kick). If they try to move in you can use Flame Burner or standing 1 AA. I haven't messed around with this too much and I think 4 whiffs on a crouching opponent. I've also been messing with d4, Up Missile and 1, 2, 2, Homing Missile but I don't think they are that effective.

Okay I was wondering what you guys think of 4, Up Missile? It's range is long and pushes the opponent back far enough where you might not get punished ("might" as in Reptile's Elbow Dash or JC's Shadow Kick).
That sounds like a terrible idea.

To get the maximum pushback from 4, you can't cancel it into anything. Canceling 4 gives you very little room, and you can't hit-confirm it. You can cancel 3 without sacrificing pushback, but even then that is still way to close to even think about an Up Missile, and especially a Homing Missile.

And 4 does not wiff on crouch. 3 does though.

ryublaze

Noob
That sounds like a terrible idea.

To get the maximum pushback from 4, you can't cancel it into anything. Canceling 4 gives you very little room, and you can't hit-confirm it. You can cancel 3 without sacrificing pushback, but even then that is still way to close to even think about an Up Missile, and especially a Homing Missile.

And 4 does not wiff on crouch. 3 does though.
Blocked 4 even if cancelled into special creates a fair amount of distance for an Up Missile, and you can catch them with Flame Burner if they try to move in which then pushes the opponent back into the Up Missile. Have you tried this from jump distance where only Sektor's foot touches the opponent?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Sounds reasonable. I would only really want to use it for jumps at the same range as a flame thrower punish. Flamethrower is great because it leaves you at slight advantage, but I imagine the air time would give you enough time for a guaranteed rocket + safe jump situation which can be great for ex-up missle pressure.

ryublaze

Noob
I messed around with it more but I would need 2 people to thoroughly test. After 4, Up Missile you can dash back and use Flame Burner for more space, and dashing back might make the opponent whiff his attacks if he moves in. You can also do 4, In Front Up Missile followed by a Flame Burner so your opponent won't be able to move in safely. This is all just theory though.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I messed around with it more but I would need 2 people to thoroughly test. After 4, Up Missile you can dash back and use Flame Burner for more space, and dashing back might make the opponent whiff his attacks if he moves in. You can also do 4, In Front Up Missile followed by a Flame Burner so your opponent won't be able to move in safely. This is all just theory though.
We're still talkin' standing 4 as anti air right? If so, and a Sektor player is looking for an anti air alternative to the flame burner from a distance farther than the uppercut can connect, I STRONGLY suggest everyone become acclimated to d4 instead. It reduces Sektor's hitbox heavily, making it next to impossible for him to get hit out of, and it's easier to throw out than a standing 4. You can easily anti air d4 and cancel into TU for a combo of your choosing, taking as much as 34% from your opponent just because he jumped at the wrong time.*

A disclaimer on this would be if your waiting for someone to jump in on you from that distance, you might be waiting a long time; this can be said for the standing 4 anti-air as well, though. I would practice this for opponents that jump to close distance from farther away because your zoning them into mush - a lot of them - in which case dash forward into anti-air (not reactionary, but dashing forward and looking for those jump ins is what I mean) is your friend.

*d4, TU, f43, EXTU, b2, torch dat ass.

ryublaze

Noob
We're still talkin' standing 4 as anti air right? If so, and a Sektor player is looking for an anti air alternative to the flame burner from a distance farther than the uppercut can connect, I STRONGLY suggest everyone become acclimated to d4 instead. It reduces Sektor's hitbox heavily, making it next to impossible for him to get hit out of, and it's easier to throw out than a standing 4. You can easily anti air d4 and cancel into TU for a combo of your choosing, taking as much as 34% from your opponent just because he jumped at the wrong time.*

A disclaimer on this would be if your waiting for someone to jump in on you from that distance, you might be waiting a long time; this can be said for the standing 4 anti-air as well, though. I would practice this for opponents that jump to close distance from farther away because your zoning them into mush - a lot of them - in which case dash forward into anti-air (not reactionary, but dashing forward and looking for those jump ins is what I mean) is your friend.

Oh, I'm talking about using it on a grounded opponent. I didn't want to make a new topic because this one is already talking about his standing 4. Sektor's 4 seems to have good range and I was wondering about using an Up Missile after it.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
standing 4 is way too slow to be considered as a decent anti air. It's the sorta thing in training i see and say to jake "hey jake, lets see if the standing 4 works as an anti air" and then 5 seconds later realize that it's no good lol

Best stick to standing 1 at sweep distance, flamethrower or B3,4 at jump distance,

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

I'm wondering how effective d4 will be... I think I'll try it out for a bit.