What's new

Tech - Spectral Spectral Ermac - The MKX Meter Master

zaf

professor
The bug is still in effect right now. I just updated my PS4 and the game.

It will be patched out in the next patch or 2 paulo says.

Thank god.

perfectghast

Just throw it out, and hope for the best!
S
The bug is still in effect right now. I just updated my PS4 and the game.

It will be patched out in the next patch or 2 paulo says.

Thank god.
So till that day comes, fear the lord of meter online casuals!

ya, that seems fair

according to @MITDJT philosophy let's let rock it for a year til we patch it though, huh
Dnt tag me in any of ur posts lol, dnt want to hear ur garbage
Edit: second thing dnt exaggerate what I mean by "letting things rock" I was referring to sub zero in the chat yesterday when Jeremiah was whining about him. Don't take things out of context.

What on earth is this shit?? I just played one of these and thought it was a hacker. He literally had an X-ray every 5-7 seconds.

Frostbarrier

I Protect The Fridge!
the fact that even hitting your opponent in the match gives u a bar as well ... they did that stuff on NRS STREAM and they didn't say anything, I think they will not fix this ... people just need to "adapt" :D

see 1:35

I really hope they don't change this yet before we've had a chance to experiment with it, and I really hope tournaments do give us that chance to experiment. I feel the idea of spectral Ermac is to be bad at hitting but be really good at not getting hit, which I think is an interesting take on a character. All of his grounded overhead/low strings are unsafe, his starters that can go into hover combos are unsafe and/or corner specific, and he doesn't have the damage output or screen control of the other variations and characters. He seems like he needs to be in the air, where he can harass, build meter, and start safer overhead/low mixups, but I'm not sure if that kind of airborne play is all that practical yet.

It might be that his strength is instead that he's very hard to deal damage against because he has meter for ex soul burst, ex antiair soul burst, breaker, and block breaker most of the time. That sounds really annoying to play against, but I'm not sure it's actually too good.

Maybe! Maybe he's broken with meter all the time, I dunno. Imo that's really something we should actually test at least at locals before outright banning. Anyway, I'm gonna start playing him to try to find out.

Zebster

How's my volume?
I really hope they don't change this yet before we've had a chance to experiment with it, and I really hope tournaments do give us that chance to experiment.
First:
will be gone in a patch or 2.

for the meantime letitrock so you can laugh at people who actually try to use this even more so if they end up losing.
I recall you saying you've never seen the actual post where it was said this would be gone, well here it is.

Second, there's no way TOs these days will risk lower attendance, or backlash after the fact, due to allowing something that is perceived by many to be a broken character/variation at their tournament. It's just not the smart thing to do. This game is early and perceptions are important. If people go to these early tournaments and get beaten by a Spectral Ermac who understands how to take advantage of this glitch, there would undoubtedly be backlash. This isn't like the old days, there's more and more money on the line, and people would be that much more upset if they were taken out by something like Spectral Ermac. There are problems with testing these things out at locals too. Just to start people would not take people's experiences facing a Spectral Ermac seriously if they aren't a top player, or were facing a top player, or both. If a few "unknown" Spectral Ermac players joined a local and none of them even make it to top 8, then there would be people arguing that those players didn't know how to exploit the glitch, so their experience wasn't valid. If a pro player went to a local and destroyed everybody with Spectral Ermac, then it would be attributed to a lack of matchup experience and the pro playing at a higher level than everyone else. It'd only be when a lot of well known players played in the same tournament that people would take the experience seriously, and by the time that happens a lot of people may have already dropped the game because of Ermac's perceived nonsense.

Instead of potentially facing any of these worst case scenarios, it would be better to just keep the ban going until the glitch is removed.

(Just to clarify, I've seen your stream where you analyzed Spectral Ermac's options, and agree with you that besides the meter, he doesn't have much, but I'm trying to explain why I think it would hurt the community and the game's tournament scene if Spectral Ermac was allowed)

Jason is here and when I checked last night, the glitch was still in effect. I hope they hurry up and fix it, so I can see Spectral in action.

First:

I recall you saying you've never seen the actual post where it was said this would be gone, well here it is.

Second, there's no way TOs these days will risk lower attendance, or backlash after the fact, due to allowing something that is perceived by many to be a broken character/variation at their tournament. It's just not the smart thing to do. This game is early and perceptions are important. If people go to these early tournaments and get beaten by a Spectral Ermac who understands how to take advantage of this glitch, there would undoubtedly be backlash. This isn't like the old days, there's more and more money on the line, and people would be that much more upset if they were taken out by something like Spectral Ermac. There are problems with testing these things out at locals too. Just to start people would not take people's experiences facing a Spectral Ermac seriously if they aren't a top player, or were facing a top player, or both. If a few "unknown" Spectral Ermac players joined a local and none of them even make it to top 8, then there would be people arguing that those players didn't know how to exploit the glitch, so their experience wasn't valid. If a pro player went to a local and destroyed everybody with Spectral Ermac, then it would be attributed to a lack of matchup experience and the pro playing at a higher level than everyone else. It'd only be when a lot of well known players played in the same tournament that people would take the experience seriously, and by the time that happens a lot of people may have already dropped the game because of Ermac's perceived nonsense.

Instead of potentially facing any of these worst case scenarios, it would be better to just keep the ban going until the glitch is removed.

(Just to clarify, I've seen your stream where you analyzed Spectral Ermac's options, and agree with you that besides the meter, he doesn't have much, but I'm trying to explain why I think it would hurt the community and the game's tournament scene if Spectral Ermac was allowed)
You're right that early perceptions are important. The NRS scene historically has had big problems with identifying things as broken too early without really thinking them through and dumping on people who don't agree. You're probably right that a business savvy major tournament organizer, knowing about the history of the scene, would accede instantly to early pronouncements of brokenness just to avoid risking loss of bandwagony entrants. As for locals, I don't think there's anything more oppressive about losing to spectral Ermac because he's hard to hit than about losing to other characters because you got hit twice or don't know how to block them or deal with their space control, so I don't think that's much of a consideration really.

In asking for people to try spectral Ermac first I admit that I'm asking for the NRS scene to change overnight. In other scenes people have required that way more busted looking characters actually get shown as busted in tournaments first before they're banned. But I don't expect that to happen here, not really. I expect Netherrealm to make another hasty choice based on the hasty pronouncements of community leaders, and end up with another Injustice Scorpion stinking up the low tier. So I'm not surprised to hear that they're changing this.

But as you admit, that's quite different from the actual character at hand. He's not broken and might not even be very good, even with the meter building. It's pretty sad to have to admit the disconnect between these two things, the actual potency of the character on one hand and the response to the character by the scene on the other. But that disconnect is real.

If I were running Texas Showdown this weekend, I'd ban him too. A major like that requires a 5 digit investment, and you can't screw around with that. But if I were running locals, yeah, I'd definitely allow him and see what happens.

Error

DF2+R2
It'd be great if NRS still gave Spectral Ermac higher than usual meter building, obviously a bar for one special is ridiculous, but if he gained like 25% more meter than other characters he could have something more unique going for him instead of just being a glorified soul piñata.