What's new

Someone explain silent hill 1+3+origins story for me

So I played silent hill 1 back in the day on ps1, then 5 years later played silent hill 3 and haven't played Origins yet. I already forgot parts of the story, since silent hill 3 was released like 4/5 years after the first one and there were multiple endings, to make it even more confusing. I figured thered be a lot of silent hill fans here so can somebody explain the story for me?

Last edited:
I have played all 3 but cant remember anymore
SH1 was the most scariest 1 though
I still remember that room where the sth was in the closet hella scary ye lol

Goldi

Noob
I was going to tag Mayo too lol

Ok, spoilers!

Silent hill 1 follows Harry Mason and his adopted daughter Cheryl. His wife passed away some time ago and he takes his daughter to vacation in Silent hill. Once there he is in a car accident and his daughter goes missing. The game is Harry attempting to find Cheryl and understand the town of silent hill.

While some horrible events have taken place in silent hill (involving a cult called the order and human sacrifice) silent hill is not exactly a place. The town manifests the character's personal psychological torments and makes them own up to all the nasty things they've done in their past. That's why there are so many different monsters - custom tailored to which character you playing. They frequently represent sexual frustration.

Harry was a pretty cool guy though, so the monsters he encounters are actually manifestations of a young girl in a coma named Alyssa. Alyssa was sacrificed by the cult of silent hill to bring their god into the human world. The towns people tried to burn her alive, but failed. So Alyssa is horribly burned and barely alive, dreaming these nightmares in the hospital. That's why nurses are so iconic to the series.

Alyssa's soul splits in two... As part of the ritual or just something she did out of pain is unclear, but the soul (all good) manifested as a baby. The baby was Cheryl, who Harry has to find before she can be reunited with Alyssa and or sacrificed again.

There are multiple endings, but ultimately, Harry rescues Cheryl/Alyssa. The girl is made whole but is a baby again. This is just something that happens in lots of Japanese survival horror games lol

Silent hill 2 follows James Mason. He comes to silent hill after receiving a message from his dead wife to go there. The town manifests monsters that reflect his past, your actions in the game determine the ending.. This one is a little more straightforward, James killed his wife either out of mercy or frustration and silent hill forces him to accept what he's done.

Silent hill 3 comes back to Harry and Cheryl/Alyssa who is now called Heather to hide from the order of silent hill still searching for her to sacrifice. Heather had no idea who she was, and seemed to be doing pretty ok.. She's 17 in the game, but is referenced as being much older by some characters considering she's hit the reset button and gone back to baby-dom a couple times. Harry is killed by the cult and Heather must learn about her past and prevent the cult from trying to bring their god into the world again.

Silent hill origins follows a trucker into silent hill. Like James, the town manifests his personal secrets and demons forcing him to confront them. The time is set before Cheryl/Heather and during the events of the original Alyssa's lifetime. He is actually the one that saves her from the sacrifice. I forget what he does after that.

Silent hill the room follows someone nowhere near the town, but a man locked in his apartment by a serial killer from it. The killer is attempting a ritual of the cult to bring his mother back to life. Unfortunately he thinks his mother is this guy's apartment.

Downpour follows... I forget his name. Murphy? Meh it sucked lol A prisoner being transferred crashes into silent hill and must confront his past. The monsters are really lame. This guy didn't do much wrong.. Killed a child molester. Silent hill doesn't go to hard on him for it.

Homecoming follows Alex, who lives in a town near silent hill that belongs to the same cult. He also confronts his past and learns about the evil cult rituals.

That's basically the series. The cult plays varying roles in each game from being major parts of the story to barely mentioned, and the main character is a tortured soul who has lost someone they love and or large chunks of their memory that silent hill forces them to come to terms with. Hope that helps!

I was going to tag Mayo too lol

Ok, spoilers!

Silent hill 1 follows Harry Mason and his adopted daughter Cheryl. His wife passed away some time ago and he takes his daughter to vacation in Silent hill. Once there he is in a car accident and his daughter goes missing. The game is Harry attempting to find Cheryl and understand the town of silent hill.

While some horrible events have taken place in silent hill (involving a cult called the order and human sacrifice) silent hill is not exactly a place. The town manifests the character's personal psychological torments and makes them own up to all the nasty things they've done in their past. That's why there are so many different monsters - custom tailored to which character you playing. They frequently represent sexual frustration.

Harry was a pretty cool guy though, so the monsters he encounters are actually manifestations of a young girl in a coma named Alyssa. Alyssa was sacrificed by the cult of silent hill to bring their god into the human world. The towns people tried to burn her alive, but failed. So Alyssa is horribly burned and barely alive, dreaming these nightmares in the hospital. That's why nurses are so iconic to the series.

Alyssa's soul splits in two... As part of the ritual or just something she did out of pain is unclear, but the soul (all good) manifested as a baby. The baby was Cheryl, who Harry has to find before she can be reunited with Alyssa and or sacrificed again.

There are multiple endings, but ultimately, Harry rescues Cheryl/Alyssa. The girl is made whole but is a baby again. This is just something that happens in lots of Japanese survival horror games lol

Silent hill 2 follows James Mason. He comes to silent hill after receiving a message from his dead wife to go there. The town manifests monsters that reflect his past, your actions in the game determine the ending.. This one is a little more straightforward, James killed his wife either out of mercy or frustration and silent hill forces him to accept what he's done.

Silent hill 3 comes back to Harry and Cheryl/Alyssa who is now called Heather to hide from the order of silent hill still searching for her to sacrifice. Heather had no idea who she was, and seemed to be doing pretty ok.. She's 17 in the game, but is referenced as being much older by some characters considering she's hit the reset button and gone back to baby-dom a couple times. Harry is killed by the cult and Heather must learn about her past and prevent the cult from trying to bring their god into the world again.

Silent hill origins follows a trucker into silent hill. Like James, the town manifests his personal secrets and demons forcing him to confront them. The time is set before Cheryl/Heather and during the events of the original Alyssa's lifetime. He is actually the one that saves her from the sacrifice. I forget what he does after that.

Silent hill the room follows someone nowhere near the town, but a man locked in his apartment by a serial killer from it. The killer is attempting a ritual of the cult to bring his mother back to life. Unfortunately he thinks his mother is this guy's apartment.

Downpour follows... I forget his name. Murphy? Meh it sucked lol A prisoner being transferred crashes into silent hill and must confront his past. The monsters are really lame. This guy didn't do much wrong.. Killed a child molester. Silent hill doesn't go to hard on him for it.

Homecoming follows Alex, who lives in a town near silent hill that belongs to the same cult. He also confronts his past and learns about the evil cult rituals.

That's basically the series. The cult plays varying roles in each game from being major parts of the story to barely mentioned, and the main character is a tortured soul who has lost someone they love and or large chunks of their memory that silent hill forces them to come to terms with. Hope that helps!
Thanks! I really have to play this game again when I have some free time.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Awwww how cute. Afraid of Silent Hill. Give me a call when you play a REAL man's game. A game where real men are reduced to little school girls, not unlike in Fatal Frame.

You can give me that call at: 545 373 7678
I'm a horror buff, played the shit out of every Silent Hill. Had to put down Fatal Frame in the last chapter and Fatal Frame 2 in 30 minutes. Amnesia needs to get on their fucking level. I think a lot of it falls flat for me from all the YouTube BS. Check out Yamimash on YouTube, he plays a lot of indie horror titles. The Pokémon\Sonic horror mods are great in my books for the childhood feels. Lone Survivor and Soundless Mountain II (from Jasper Byrne) don't get nearly enough attention

Goldi

Noob
I love Fatal Frame <3

PS2 was the golden age of survival horror. Kuon, Rule of Rose, Haunting Ground, Siren.. The chills <3

RoR still messes me up if I think about it too much ;_;

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I love Fatal Frame <3

PS2 was the golden age of survival horror. Kuon, Rule of Rose, Haunting Ground, Siren.. The chills <3

RoR still messes me up if I think about it too much ;_;
It's a shame it's such a niche franchise nowadays. What was the last good horror title we had? Indie aside, I can't thing of anything that wasn't terrible :(

gdf

Noob
Which Silent Hill (if this is the game I'm thinking of) is where some guy is murdering a banshee(?), and the protagonist stops him, causing death to said guy by banshee(?)?

Goldi

Noob
Rule of Rose lol the story is a lot like... "Lord of the Flies". Really disturbing stuff.. Fighting orphans wearing paper bags over their heads with a fork and a dog kinda stuff ;_;

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
PerfectMindGame
Mr. Mileena
Goldfish

Here's a great video analysis of the story of the original 3 games. Some people disagree on small details, but this is as good as it gets really. Do NOT play Origins. Everything after SH4 was created by different studios, no one from the original creative team. The producer/sound designer only.

SILENT HILL 1

SILENT HILL 2

SILENT HILL 3

Supplemental explanation of Alessa

Last edited: