What's new

Tech - Reptile Some Reptile tech I created

JDM

Noob
I decided to actually put work into reptile instead of dropping him since he's my favorite character, and I'm glad I did. I'm changing my mind about reptile after all I and think he's actually a pretty damn good character, even if his damage isn't really that great and he's a little meter heavy. So what I tried to do was find a good setup without using a ton of meter (preferably none).

I've found a way to completely nullify certain wakeups after a full combo by reptile in the corner. I've only fully tested it out off of his overhead, but what I do is end my combo with 1,4 (which is a untechable, unrollable hard knockdown) cancelled into EX nimble. What is does is get me enough advantage to time a meaty b34 (the quicker, the better from what I've tested so far) so that the 2 hits of B3(4) hit right as they are waking up. This completely destroys some wakeups and trades with others. Some are very hard to beat if not flatout impossible. I've traded one time with Kung Lao's EX tempest Spin wakeup, and Cassie's flip nearly beats me every single time (I have to do a very specific combo to beat her wakeup consistently. Still worth doing, but the b34 is extremely tight and really risky in a real match).

Wakeup's I've tested so far:

ALL of Sub Zeros EX wakeups (beats every single one, without fail)
Scorpions EX Teleport (Weird, tricky to beat since his hurtbox isn't there for too long, even if the startup is 21 frames)
Scorpions EX Slide (Beats it every time)

This first video is showing you exactly what the setup is. What I show first attempt is the actual combo to show that it is the exact same timing regardless. The next two attempts are me failing to wakeup (it is actually pretty tricky to wakeup, regardless), and the next attempt is cleanly beating the wakeup. The final attempt is me showing that delay wakeup does not blow this up, simply because as you can see my st.3 (which isn't even timed to be the fastest attack possible, it's timed for the combo meaning it's likely not the fastest I can act) beats even the fastest attempt at a sub zero d1. Meaning you are at advantage enough to mix them up again. I haven't tested out slow combos for those specific timings but I will later possibly.

So, the only downside I could think of right now was that the combo did piss poor damage. The max damage combo I Came up with off of the overhead into the setup is here:

Essentially the same thing but showing you can end a longer combo into this setup (This will absolutely never beat faster wakeups, I will need to do extensive testing for all wakeups in the game). I have not yet tested a low starter into this setup but I assume you can do B3 EX Claw Swipe, j.4, nj.2 j.4, 24, 14xxEX Nimble into meaty B34.

I'll need help testing all this out, tell me what you guys think of this setup! :)

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Funny, I kinda stumbled on the same thing today, but I made some decent conversions combo wise if you want to use them

Wow, a potential 70% for 1 bar! This is badass

EDIT: You can get that 27% far easier that trying to land the jump back 1, nj1, jp1 part of the combo.

After f4,2,1 xx force ball you can jump back 3, (land) 2,1 (pause) 1,4 xx EX time slow etc.

Just seemed a bit more consistent to land for me

Last edited:

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
What about over head tho? Wouldn't they just block low because your over head doesn't hit twice? Good find.

I think you can increase the dmg on the combo tho after the force ball jb1 then 21 then f41 or something. I just remember doing a 33% meterless in the corner and I think you got like 28.

JDM

Noob
What about over head tho? Wouldn't they just block low because your over head doesn't hit twice? Good find.

I think you can increase the dmg on the combo tho after the force ball jb1 then 21 then f41 or something. I just remember doing a 33% meterless in the corner and I think you got like 28.
You can just go overhead, then. Once you force them not to wakeup you can do whatever you want. After they block B34 I believe you're at a slight disadvantage, but with the way nimble works you're faster and they are slower so you might win with a poke. Idk I haven't tested it out in a real match much yet, especially since they mostly get hit by the low or they are trying to do a wakeup lol.

Xev

Noob

If you don't end the combo with 14 into ex nimble after the force ball they can tech roll, wake up to hit you out of it instantly. 14 is key due to the hard knockdown, of course this is all a set up assuming they will do a wake up after 14 xx ex nimble, which has been most common but after implementing this people are starting to be more patient but then you can just start going for mixups when they do get up.

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
If you don't end the combo with 14 into ex nimble after the force ball they can tech roll, wake up to hit you out of it instantly. 14 is key due to the hard knockdown, of course this is all a set up assuming they will do a wake up after 14 xx ex nimble, which has been most common but after implementing this people are starting to be more patient but then you can just start going for mixups when they do get up.
Something interesting to note:
I posted above about ending in 21 (pause) 14 etc. instead of back jump 1, nj1, jp1 etc.
HOWEVER: with the latter combo you keep the opponent higher in the air for the 14 xx basilisk which allows you to start the b3,4 much sooner. The higher off the ground they are when you start the nimble buff the better your results will be to stuff/punish.

I feel that this is obvious but should still be noted. I've actually transitioned to using your jump crazy kombo instead of mine haha :p

JDM

Noob
Most wakeups they dont need to be super high to beat. anything that isn't a teleport or faster than ~9 frames will be beat cleanly every time.

JDM

Noob
Also for some gimmick shit if you notice them delayimg wakeup every time you can do regular nimble for free lel

That's how i came up with this i tried to find a way to get nimble out for no meter since reptile is so meter heavy. To no avail, though :(

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Cool stuff I guess, every tech on this site for reptile is for nimble though :( doesnt apply to me
Part of that has to do with how straightforward Noxious and Deceptive are in comparison. Nimble has a ton of technical opportunities due to the nature of slowdown in general.

Good find, JDM. Nimble in general grants some really solid anti-wakeup scenarios.

Xev

Noob
Also for some gimmick shit if you notice them delayimg wakeup every time you can do regular nimble for free lel

That's how i came up with this i tried to find a way to get nimble out for no meter since reptile is so meter heavy. To no avail, though :(
That's been my dream too, I just don't think it's going to happen heh.

JDM

Noob
That's been my dream too, I just don't think it's going to happen heh.
Yea like i said though if they always delay wakeup during this you can fo a regular nimble. Its risky but amazing if you pull it off cause free high low into 42 percent meterless :3

JDM

Noob
Ex nimble and regular nimble look pretty similar so it might catch some people off guard