What's new

Skream: Dubstep is dead.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
For those who don't know who Skream is I'll link you here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skream

Dubstep was created around 10 years ago. The genre grew popular in the UK and made it's way to the states, but when it arrived it wasn't s pretty. Dubstep has drastically changed from electronic ambient music with bass drops to 2 bass speakers exploding while optimus prime ejaculates in ones ears. As of recent Skream, who is one of the godfather's of Dubstep (he was 16 when it started) said this.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/401843_10151658559836138_436604270_n.jpg

I don't know if anyone is a fan of GOOD dubstep, but it's sad to see one of the creators of a once interesting music genre see everything he worked hard for just died in front of him.

Some of Skream's work:
(Skream - Exothermic Reaction)
([Skream Remix] Alex Clare - Up All Night)
(Skream featuring Sam Frank - Under City lights)
(Skream - Organic)

R.I.P. Dubstep

McNasty

Moist.
Insert grumpy cat pic

Good.

Sunny moore aka skrillex can seriously just go fuck off if he gets into rockabilly next ill loose my fucking mind...

I hope morrisons bloated dead body skull fucks him in the after life for sampling the doors.

/rant

Well maybe now america can latch on to the next old european edm fad....trap....no no not that DEAR GOD CANT WE CREATE SOMETHING GOOD!

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
This is like Elvis listening to Van Halen and saying rock and roll is dead....

I get what he's saying, but lbsh. The genre has evolved, it hasn't died. The people saying "WAAHHHH DUBSTEP SUCKS NOW" are just as bad as people saying "SKRILLEX IS BEST DUBSTEP EVAR." Shut the hell up. I for one enjoy the HELL out of a nice tranquil intro that explodes into toaster sex sounds. Some people don't, and I respect that, but sorry. Dubstep ain't dead

Music genres dont die, lol. There is always someone out there taking inspiration from the original source and re creating it. Thats like saying thrash metal or emo is dead because you have scumbags like Trivium and Black Tide ruining the image or All-American Rejects douche'n up the genre.

Word, dubstep ain't dead, whatever that means.

Skrillex puts together some kickass stuff IMO. He keeps you on your toes as an active listener, which is difficult to say about the more passive, down-tempo stuff in the OP.

Haven't heard of this Skream character, will have to check out his catalogue. I jam on the UK trip-hop scene and dubstep too so it oughta be right up my alley.

Oogalord

Noob
i don't like Skrillex, and i don't like every single example ever shown to me of "real" dubstep.

it's either boring, or it sounds like a computer taking a shit

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Skrillex is a good producer. Stop trying to be hipsters. He makes hard electro, not dubstep. You don't have to like him to respect the fact that he knows what he's doing and he's good at what he does. Scream not making dubstep anymore doesn't mean the genre is dead. Just that one of the pioneers is making different genres of music now.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Dubstep is like two decade old computers having butt sex. You have no idea how it's happening and you want it to stop.

ShadowBeatz

Skrillex is a good producer.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

I'm actully not a fan of most of Skrillex songs, but his kicks are so punchy, his snares are so crisp, and his bass is so deep.

Dubstep is like two decade old computers having butt sex. You have no idea how it's happening and you want it to stop.

I actually do have an idea how it's happening :p

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Skrillex is a good producer. Stop trying to be hipsters. He makes hard electro, not dubstep. You don't have to like him to respect the fact that he knows what he's doing and he's good at what he does. Scream not making dubstep anymore doesn't mean the genre is dead. Just that one of the pioneers is making different genres of music now.
He makes Brostep and he does suck. Using the same beats in 5 different songs doesn't classify you as a good DJ. He is the gateway into the new era of dubstep, that is all. Not saying there is anything wrong with liking gateway bands (ie Slipknot, SOAD, Children of Bodom), but unlike most gateway artists/bands he is ehh. I only like his second EP, Reptiles theme, and a few tracks not released on disc (This is a Shark Attack <3).

I'll name 2 current dubstep artists who do dubstep better than skrillex.
1) Nero
2) Dillion Francis

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
He makes Brostep and he does suck. Using the same beats in 5 different songs doesn't classify you as a good DJ. He is the gateway into the new era of dubstep, that is all.

I'll name 2 current dubstep artists who do dubstep better than skrillex.
1) Nero
2) Dillion Francis
He's not a DJ, he's a producer. He created "brostep" even though before it was called brostep, it was hard electro. He is a very good producer. Your personal opinion of Skrillex does not change the fact that he is good at what he does. Nero consists of 3 people. That's 2 extra brains to work on production and instrument choice. I'm not saying there aren't people better than him. I personally think Zomboy is a better producer. But that doesn't take away from that fact that Skrillex is good, and people hate on him because they think it makes them cool.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
He's not a DJ, he's a producer. He created "brostep" even though before it was called brostep, it was hard electro. He is a very good producer. Your personal opinion of Skrillex does not change the fact that he is good at what he does. Nero consists of 3 people. That's 2 extra brains to work on production and instrument choice. I'm not saying there aren't people better than him. I personally think Zomboy is a better producer. But that doesn't take away from that fact that Skrillex is good, and people hate on him because they think it makes them cool.
I used to love skrillex when I was introduced to dubstep 2 1/2 /3 years ago. Right around the time scary monsters and nice sprites dropped, but I don't do it to sound cool. I grew out of him rather quickly, yet I still lvoe the fuck out of Nero. When I first heard welcome reality I shit myself. I was so impressed by that album. Then i got into dillion francis, knife party, zomboy, etc. I personally think that Skrillex is ehh, but to each their own. I thought his new ep was ass tbqh, minus like 2 songs. I was kinda dissapointed.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I was never a fan of this genre, though these posted songs are alright.

But it was obvious that dubstep had been raped and destroyed once you could hear it's influence in Taylor Swift songs. "I Knew You Were Trouble".

ShadowBeatz

knife party
Class of the EDM scene right now. No one can touch them

And to your Skrillex point, I agree with you. His songs really aren't that impressive to me from a melodic standpoint. As an artist he's become stale, but as a producer, he's still at the top IMO. BUT 98% of the world does NOT listen to music to hear the production value :p