What's new

General/Other Skarlet Mainers

a_guardian_devil

"We share blood, we are not brothers!"
Hello TYM !

I have been watching skarlet gameplay lately and she looks pretty solid. Hoever, I cant make out
her gameplay fundmentals and basics coz I get confused with all the resets and mixups. Iam really interested in maining her but I have couple of questions I hope you could answer guys :)

1- whats the overall style of her gameplay? a zoner or a rush down or in between?

2- what are her main strengths and weaknesses?

3- does she have a below average ( damn you noob ), solid or high damage output?

4- is she mobile or focused around footsies and punishment?

5- i noticed red dash cancels ( not sure tho ) which interests me since i play rain alot and i like that style, but is it effective like kabal or rain cancels? i mean is she on advantage when she cancels?

6- finally do you recommend her or simply i shouldnt bother?

thanx alot in advance guys !

swag1

EX smash solves all
ive been playing skarlet for a week, and all i can answer fully is that her damage output is just above average. 40% BnBs plus great chip.

ryublaze

Noob
Hello TYM !

I have been watching skarlet gameplay lately and she looks pretty solid. Hoever, I cant make out
her gameplay fundmentals and basics coz I get confused with all the resets and mixups. Iam really interested in maining her but I have couple of questions I hope you could answer guys :)

1- whats the overall style of her gameplay? a zoner or a rush down or in between?

3- does she have a below average ( damn you noob ), solid or high damage output?

5- i noticed red dash cancels ( not sure tho ) which interests me since i play rain alot and i like that style, but is it effective like kabal or rain cancels? i mean is she on advantage when she cancels?

thanx alot in advance guys !
1. I would say she can do a little of everything. She's a lot like Kabal.

2. Strengths:
- Armored Red Dash that goes 3/4 screen and can lead into combos​
- Standing reset that leads to mix-ups and blockstrings​
- Blockstrings that build meter​
- Fast projectiles (not including Blood Ball) that build meter​
- Very mobile with a lot of tools (teleport, red dash, air daggers)​
Weaknesses:
- Slow starting strings​
- Low hitbox characters can make it difficult to start anything​
- Characters that stop her mobility (Kung Lao, Kabal)​
- Wake-ups can be stuffed easily (besides EN Red Dash)​
- Requires very good execution​

3. Above average output (check Ninj's combo guide).

4. She's very mobile and has good footsies. She can counter and punish hard.

5. She can do neutral Red Dashes but I wouldn't say they are like Kabal's or Rain's dash cancels. Skarlet is actually at disadvantage when she does this but if your opponent is thinking you're going to end with Slide or EX Down Slash, you can start blockstrings. This is a part of Skarlet's mix-ups.

6. I would recommend her if you're looking for a challenging character to learn and if you're willing to dedicate a lot of time to her. She is a very fun character, and it feels good to pull off a win with a hard-to-use character.

a_guardian_devil

1. I would say she can do a little of everything. She's a lot like Kabal.

2. Strengths:
- Armored Red Dash that goes 3/4 screen and can lead into combos​
- Standing reset that leads to mix-ups and blockstrings​
- Blockstrings that build meter​
- Fast projectiles (not including Blood Ball) that build meter​
- Very mobile with a lot of tools (teleport, red dash, air daggers)​
Weaknesses:
- Slow starting strings​
- Low hitbox characters can make it difficult to start anything​
- Characters that stop her mobility (Kung Lao, Kabal)​
- Wake-ups can be stuffed easily (besides EN Red Dash)​
- Requires very good execution​

3. Above average output (check Ninj's combo guide).

4. She's very mobile and has good footsies. She can counter and punish hard.

5. She can do neutral Red Dashes but I wouldn't say they are like Kabal's or Rain's dash cancels. Skarlet is actually at disadvantage when she does this but if your opponent is thinking you're going to end with Slide or EX Down Slash, you can start blockstrings. This is a part of Skarlet's mix-ups.

6. I would recommend her if you're looking for a challenging character to learn and if you're willing to dedicate a lot of time to her. She is a very fun character, and it feels good to pull off a win with a hard-to-use character.

very helpful !

thanx alot red & everyone !

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die

Both, in most cases she has to use a mix of both. She doesn't typically win in a straight up fire fight, she relys on other tools when that happens.

Strengths- Has so many different things she can do that take away the opponents options, High damage into resets, Can rush down like none other if the opponent doesn't know the matchup, meanwhile becomes even more fun to play when the opponent does know the matchup because then the mind games kick in. Lastly, she plays fast, expect to win fast or lose fast.

Weaknesses- I guess people say she is really technical in that shes difficult to learn... I play online and land her 40+ percent combos even with the lag trying to fuck me into a corner so I say to hell with it, with practice the difficulty of learning her shouldn't be seen as a factor at all. She isn't a "main for a week" character though, I've mained her since she came out and I have a long ways to go to be where I want to be still.

High damage. It takes a little while to get up to her speed and timing with inputs, but with practice it gets simple to do her bnb combos, which have high damage compared to others.

Both. However, as the game evolves footsies will have more and more a a dominant pressence with every character though, start learning em now.

What you are seeing as a dash cancel could be two different things:

1: Its actually an 'emtpy dash', meaning you don't finish the move by inputing a command. It works well in high level matches if your opponent respects your follow ups. I compare it to bison's emtpydevil's reverse vs. his headstomp in sf4, train the opponent to dodge or block the head stomp, then do a devils reverse, instead of inputting the punch to hit them, just land follow up of choice. The same goes for Skarlet, train the oponent that a low or overhead is coming, then go back into pressure of choice. Its a gamble in that the dash doesn't put you at frame advantage, the only advantage is the trickery.

2: The other thing you might be seeing is the dagger canceling. Try this out: In training, put opponent on stand block. Put super meter on full. Do the f212, 1+2 string canceled into Ex Dagger, cancel the dagger before the second dagger comes out by dashing forward immediately. Then repeat. Do this for an hour or two, trying have continuous pressure on them. If you aint in love with her after that, then you in the wrong place ;)

Don't bother she sucks. Jk, what would you ecpect us to say? Its not my job to sell her as the best, just try stuff out, have fun.

a_guardian_devil

Both, in most cases she has to use a mix of both. She doesn't typically win in a straight up fire fight, she relys on other tools when that happens.

Strengths- Has so many different things she can do that take away the opponents options, High damage into resets, Can rush down like none other if the opponent doesn't know the matchup, meanwhile becomes even more fun to play when the opponent does know the matchup because then the mind games kick in. Lastly, she plays fast, expect to win fast or lose fast.

Weaknesses- I guess people say she is really technical in that shes difficult to learn... I play online and land her 40+ percent combos even with the lag trying to fuck me into a corner so I say to hell with it, with practice the difficulty of learning her shouldn't be seen as a factor at all. She isn't a "main for a week" character though, I've mained her since she came out and I have a long ways to go to be where I want to be still.

High damage. It takes a little while to get up to her speed and timing with inputs, but with practice it gets simple to do her bnb combos, which have high damage compared to others.

Both. However, as the game evolves footsies will have more and more a a dominant pressence with every character though, start learning em now.

What you are seeing as a dash cancel could be two different things:

1: Its actually an 'emtpy dash', meaning you don't finish the move by inputing a command. It works well in high level matches if your opponent respects your follow ups. I compare it to bison's emtpydevil's reverse vs. his headstomp in sf4, train the opponent to dodge or block the head stomp, then do a devils reverse, instead of inputting the punch to hit them, just land follow up of choice. The same goes for Skarlet, train the oponent that a low or overhead is coming, then go back into pressure of choice. Its a gamble in that the dash doesn't put you at frame advantage, the only advantage is the trickery.

2: The other thing you might be seeing is the dagger canceling. Try this out: In training, put opponent on stand block. Put super meter on full. Do the f212, 1+2 string canceled into Ex Dagger, cancel the dagger before the second dagger comes out by dashing forward immediately. Then repeat. Do this for an hour or two, trying have continuous pressure on them. If you aint in love with her after that, then you in the wrong place ;)

Don't bother she sucks. Jk, what would you ecpect us to say? Its not my job to sell her as the best, just try stuff out, have fun.

thanx for the insight !