What's new

Should Throw Teching be Adjusted?

Would you like Throw Techs to be Adjusted? (You can't change your vote)

• Yes (Share how)

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I may get blown up for making this thread, but seriously, throws are fucking dumb in this game.

Where pressure and offense is already something you need to keep on your toes, the ability to throw someone because they are already scared shitless of your relentless pressure is dumb.

What makes throws really frustrating(in my opinion) is that not only is it a guess but you can't tech throws while holding block.

If teching would be adjusted, I would like the ability to tech on block to be implemented, while still leaving the 50/50 concept in the game.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Was this thread created because Foxy utilized it a lot? Throw breaking is dumb, which is why it should be abused.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Let throws be techable while holding block and make the input just the throw button while holding forward or back depending on the direction they throw you. Absolutely insane I have to let go of block to counter a move that only works when you are blocking and the fact that you dont even pres the throw button to tech is just icing on the cake.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
The only annoying throw belongs to Kung Lao. Mainly because you have to watch out for quite a few things and he grabs you. I can't be the only person who cusses in my head after getting grabbed off a wake-up vs him lol

REO

Undead
I don't agree with this. People would just hold block and mash the throw tech button depending which side they are cornered. Throws need to be strong because certain characters feed off the fear of throws to strengthen their offense. Also a lot of characters rely on throws to charge up their stamina back which is pretty crucial.

If they were to do anything to throws, maybe, and I mean MAYBE give a slight different throw start up animation for performing a backwards throw or something. That's about it.

You can neutral duck a throw on a read for a full combo. Yeah throws are strong but there are still ways to counter them. If you read the throw just neutral duck and fuck em up, no need to tech.
That's risky asf, cuz if you make the wrong read and they hit you with another combo then ggs

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
The throw mechanic should have been adjusted near the beginning of the game. With having to guess what direction you'll be thrown in, as well as the requirement to release block, the success rate of throws is ridiculously skewed.

At least grabs hit high, so if you suspect that a grab is coming, you can duck or neutral-jump to punish, or you can use crouch normals to beat out the start-up and, at times, put yourself at enough hit advantage to turn the tide. There's also positioning to account for...grabs at midscreen usually knock your opponent away so you don't get to continue pressure, unless you burn a bar to give up the damage for a restand and tremendous advantage.

I'd still like to see throws adjusted, just thought I'd put the above out there.

EDIT: What actually makes less sense to me is how reverse throws apparently have a faster start-up than the forward throw, something I've never seen in a fighting game other than MKX. WHAT DUH?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I don't agree with this. People would just hold block and mash the throw tech button depending which side they are cornered. Throws need to be strong because certain characters feed off the fear of throws to strengthen their offense. Also a lot of characters rely on throws to charge up their stamina back which is pretty crucial.

If they were to do anything to throws, maybe, and I mean MAYBE give a slight different throw start up animation for performing a backwards throw or something. That's about it.
What if the window to tech was decreased? Make it so you can't mash it.

E

Eldriken

Only if you guys let it cause a stir, I will take care of trolls.
Good. Keep it clean in here.

I agree with the suggestion of being able to tech a throw while blocking. Having to drop your defense (the block button) and THEN guess which direction on a read is just a tad overboard.

But if not that, then perhaps make the tech window larger.

mkl

Poopbutt.
If they're going to have a break mechanic that is a 50/50, the least they could do is make the grabs have a more reasonable break window. They could either do it that way, or they could remove the 50/50 and make the break window more strict.

I'd also much prefer if you could beak when blocking. But that's just frustration talking, I'm not sure if it would work out in the actual meta.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
What about this:

If you're blocking and choose to tech, you can press Forward+1 or Back+2 depending on what direction you're guessing and you don't have to time the tech for when they throw you. As soon as you start blocking and press one of those commands, it techs any throw within like maybe 25 frames of your choosing. And to prevent mashing, it's locked in so once you choose a direction to defend against throws - it's locked in.

Basically, you can preemptively tech a throw within 20 or 30 frames if you're blocking and can't mash both directions because it it locks your decision.

Think that's a pretty cool idea, anyone got any problems with it?

Last edited:

Spencer

Always Training
Anybody in their right mind knows throws are extremely broken in this Game.

Every body that is saying no probably just love abusing it because they know it's broken.

First you have to guess if they are going throw you. WHICH is hard enough as it is.

I had a lot trouble doing this even in MK9.

Then you have to guess which way they are going to throw you. Which is totally unpredictable.

The only way to punish Is by ducking and if you guess wrong you get punished.

YOU THINK QUICK START UP 50/50 combos starters are cheap.

WELL THROWS ARE QUICK STARTUP 30/30/30s
And then they can be use as a reset tool for another 50/50.

So really it's a 25/25 combo starter that's 10 frames...

TF? Brooooooookkkkeeeennnnnnnn

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Anybody in their right mind knows throws are extremely broken in this Game.

Every body that is saying no probably just love abusing it because they know it's broken.

First you have to guess if they are going throw you. WHICH is hard enough as it is.

I had a lot trouble doing this even in MK9.

Then you have to guess which way they are going to throw you. Which is totally unpredictable.

The only way to punish Is by ducking and if you guess wrong you get punished.

YOU THINK QUICK START UP 50/50 combos starters are cheap.

WELL THROWS ARE QUICK STARTUP 30/30/30s
And then they can be use as a reset tool for another 50/50.

So really it's a 25/25 combo starter that's 10 frames...

TF? Brooooooookkkkeeeennnnnnnn
Well no, the only guess about throws are if they'll do it or not. You can duck em or armour. You're choosing to guess back or forward, that's your problem.