What's new

Should the fatality timer be shortened?

Should the fatality timer be shortened?

• Total voters
Just seems too long. Finish the fight and move on to the next one. That's my mentality. Ever had to sit there and watch your opponent jump over you and t bag like 80 times, then they do a fatality that you know they've seen like 80,000 times... Not salty, just want to play the game. What do you guys think? Reduce bad sportsmanship and speed up to the next match a little bit? I feel like fatalities should be hard to execute. A negative 1st grader could do these fatalities.

ExpiredCodes

The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in the 2004 ALCS.
No, at least not now. Maybe when they're done tackling the real issues then I guess sure.

Bomborge

Aspiring scrub
So everyone should play the game with your mentality? People need to realize the bulk of MK's sales come from casuals who came for the fatalities. The people you find on this forum do not make the bulk of the audience that plays the game. Also, make fatalities harder to execute? It all goes back to the same argument that casuals are the majority of this game's audience so that would end up hurting the game's sales in the long run. If you don't want to deal with it, leave at the finish him screen. Its as simple as that.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
For single online matches (wouldn't work for KOTH) if they let the loser exit out at "Finish Him" while the winner stayed in to do his fataility probably everyone would be happy.

For single online matches (wouldn't work for KOTH) if they let the loser exit out at "Finish Him" while the winner stayed in to do his fataility probably everyone would be happy.

I was thinking this as well but I figured people would say "you lost so you HAVE to sit thru a fatal as punishment for losing lololozzzolzzzz" or some shit.

So everyone should play the game with your mentality? People need to realize the bulk of MK's sales come from casuals who came for the fatalities. The people you find on this forum do not make the bulk of the audience that plays the game. Also, make fatalities harder to execute? It all goes back to the same argument that casuals are the majority of this game's audience so that would end up hurting the game's sales in the long run. If you don't want to deal with it, leave at the finish him screen. Its as simple as that.
Bro no body buys mortal kombat just to do fatalities. It's a fighting game. And by harder to execute, I meant by reducing the timer it would leave a smaller window to make mistakes and keep trying the input. And if you cater a fighting game to people who only care about visuals and violence, then in the long run, the game will flop. This game has so many issues because nrs has been focusing on these stupid dlc's like EASY FATALITIES, KRYPT UNLOCKS, DAY ONE PAY FOR PLAY CHARACTERS, COSTUMES, the list goes on. If I've said it before, I've said it a gazillion times... Mortal Kombat shouldn't be known for its visuals and violence, granted it's pretty awesome. It should be known to be an all around awesome fighting game. I could rant further but all I ask is on ranked 1v1, which is the competitive play list, there should be a reduced fatality timer or maybe even no fatalities. Again, just RANKED 1V1. NRS should make this game SOMEWHAT competitive because right now it only caters to those people who love blood and gore and not the ones who actually like to fight.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Bro no body buys mortal kombat just to do fatalities. It's a fighting game. And by harder to execute, I meant by reducing the timer it would leave a smaller window to make mistakes and keep trying the input. And if you cater a fighting game to people who only care about visuals and violence, then in the long run, the game will flop. This game has so many issues because nrs has been focusing on these stupid dlc's like EASY FATALITIES, KRYPT UNLOCKS, DAY ONE PAY FOR PLAY CHARACTERS, COSTUMES, the list goes on. If I've said it before, I've said it a gazillion times... Mortal Kombat shouldn't be known for its visuals and violence, granted it's pretty awesome. It should be known to be an all around awesome fighting game. I could rant further but all I ask is on ranked 1v1, which is the competitive play list, there should be a reduced fatality timer or maybe even no fatalities. Again, just RANKED 1V1.
not to attack you, but That is the thing that sets MKX apart from other fighters, you take away the gore, fatalities, humility, and making them sit thier and rubing it in there face you will have every other fighter!

they even went another step further and added quitality for those who don't want to wait it out!

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
I just think you should have the option to disable it for the CPU. When I was first learning this game, I played classic on very hard to get a hold of my characters. Of course, I got my ass handed to me multiple times in a row. Now, I'm a big boy and can handle watching myself die a brutal death, but watching my intestines get ripped out is only charming the first couple times it happens. Around the tenth time I'd be like "Yawn. There goes my liver again. Now I can't even drink to deal with the boredom."

My point is, on a difficulty where you are almost assuredly going to be failing multiple times in a row (especially on Corrupted Shinnok who has the LONGEST FATALITY IN THE GAME), you should have the option to make it so you don't have to watch a 30 second segment every time just to retry the match.

not to attack you, but That is the thing that sets MKX apart from other fighters, you take away the gore, fatalities, humility, and making them sit thier and rubing it in there face you will have every other fighter!

they even went another step further and added quitality for those who don't want to wait it out!
Don't get me wrong. It's awesome. MK has never disappointed when it came to that kind of thing. I just wish it felt a little more competitive. I mean... What has nrs done to actually improve gameplay? "Balance" patches? The online is still horrid after like 4 years, dlc is still a mockery... I like mk. Been playing since 1 but I don't like the path it's going down right now.

Bomborge

Aspiring scrub
Bro no body buys mortal kombat just to do fatalities. It's a fighting game. And by harder to execute, I meant by reducing the timer it would leave a smaller window to make mistakes and keep trying the input. And if you cater a fighting game to people who only care about visuals and violence, then in the long run, the game will flop. This game has so many issues because nrs has been focusing on these stupid dlc's like EASY FATALITIES, KRYPT UNLOCKS, DAY ONE PAY FOR PLAY CHARACTERS, COSTUMES, the list goes on. If I've said it before, I've said it a gazillion times... Mortal Kombat shouldn't be known for its visuals and violence, granted it's pretty awesome. It should be known to be an all around awesome fighting game. I could rant further but all I ask is on ranked 1v1, which is the competitive play list, there should be a reduced fatality timer or maybe even no fatalities. Again, just RANKED 1V1. NRS should make this game SOMEWHAT competitive because right now it only caters to those people who love blood and gore and not the ones who actually like to fight.
Obviously, they buy it to play it as well. That should have gone without being stated. But the game is know for all the gore and ridiculousness. You're also acting like NRS hasn't even bothered balancing the game whatsoever or even contributed to pot bonuses at majors and has only focused on all the micro transactions which is an absolute lie. I will repeat it again as well, the majority of people who buy this game are casuals. They don't want to play focused 100% on being part of a competitive scene. They play to have fun and see all the blood and gore.

Also, you're complaining about NRS not focusing enough on the game being competitive and too much on all the other small stuff, yet you're asking that they should make the fatality timer window smaller? Contradicting yourself there. Like others have said, there are other issues that should be tackled before making this game competitive. Particularly the sub par online experience if you're complaining about ranked matches not being competitive enough.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Don't get me wrong. It's awesome. MK has never disappointed when it came to that kind of thing. I just wish it felt a little more competitive. I mean... What has nrs done to actually improve gameplay? "Balance" patches? The online is still horrid after like 4 years, dlc is still a mockery... I like mk. Been playing since 1 but I don't like the path it's going down right now.
same here, im in search for a new fighter, might try KI and DOA5

or i might just convert to MGSV Phantom Pain

same here, im in search for a new fighter, might try KI and DOA5

or i might just convert to MGSV Phantom Pain
Ya I've been looking hard into tekken 7 and that's the problem. I'm such a fan of the mk series and I don't want to leave it, but it's beginning to disappoint me.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I just wish they would not give you extra points for performing them. I think no where near as many people would do them online if you did not receive rewards for performing them.

Seriously, I wish there was a fatality disable function.

E

Eldriken

I just wish they would not give you extra points for performing them. I think no where near as many people would do them online if you did not receive rewards for performing them.

Seriously, I wish there was a fatality disable function.
I think people do it more to be a spiteful asshole than anything. I mean, they don't t-bag you 50 times and THEN do a Fatality for the bonus (F)XP.

Obviously, they buy it to play it as well. That should have gone without being stated. But the game is know for all the gore and ridiculousness. You're also acting like NRS hasn't even bothered balancing the game whatsoever or even contributed to pot bonuses at majors and has only focused on all the micro transactions which is an absolute lie. I will repeat it again as well, the majority of people who buy this game are casuals. They don't want to play focused 100% on being part of a competitive scene. They play to have fun and see all the blood and gore.

Also, you're complaining about NRS not focusing enough on the game being competitive and too much on all the other small stuff, yet you're asking that they should make the fatality timer window smaller? Contradicting yourself there. Like others have said, there are other issues that should be tackled before making this game competitive. Particularly the sub par online experience if you're complaining about ranked matches not being competitive enough.
Reducing the fatality timer is just one example of how nrs can increase the competitiveness, that's all. And tournaments are a way to advertise the game. Whenever someone in a tournament pauses the game to see how to do a fatality, everyone tends to boo. Why? Because people want to see the fight! Not that nonsense! A lot of competitive players only do fatalities so they can get a chance to stretch or dry their hands or something. You know... To WASTE TIME? Sorry I know it's mortal kombat, but it's a fighting game. It should focus on the fighting.

HanSolo

Noob
I for one agree with you mate, there's enough loading screens and waiting online as it is.

Not to mention fatalities are super easy and giving people a ton of time to basically be assholes just breeds hate and salt.

Bomborge

Aspiring scrub
Reducing the fatality timer is just one example of how nrs can increase the competitiveness, that's all. And tournaments are a way to advertise the game. Whenever someone in a tournament pauses the game to see how to do a fatality, everyone tends to boo. Why? Because people want to see the fight! Not that nonsense! A lot of competitive players only do fatalities so they can get a chance to stretch or dry their hands or something. You know... To WASTE TIME? Sorry I know it's mortal kombat, but it's a fighting game. It should focus on the fighting.
IMO reducing the fatality timer will not affect how competitive the game is. You still have the option to leave at the finish him screen if you don't want to deal with it. Also, I am pretty sure they get boo'ed for not knowing the fatalities. Fatalities are significantly more hype in tournament considering they're rarely ever done and they're also usually done at the end of a set so its not really a thing to waste time. Not to come off as rude, but you act as if all NRS does is care for fan service. This is one of the better balanced games as just about every character is viable in a tourney situation. It focuses plenty on the fighting aspect.