What's new

Should forward roll be nerfed?

MK Tom Brady posted a video that got me thinking (video link at bottom)

I don't fully agree with his suggested change of raising the cost to 2 def bars. Here are some other alternatives.

1. Make it cost 1 off and 1 def bar like u2 and u3
  2. Increase the vulnerable frames after invincibility
  3. Increase the total forward roll duration so the opponent can't split your wig if you use a pressure string (btw people need to stop using full strings on oki, use the 1st 2 hits then dial in the rest as needed)
  4. Leave the cost at 1 def bar but decrease its replenishment speed so it takes longer to get your bar back than if you back roll (kinda like how after a breakaway it takes ~16 sec per bar)

trufenix

bye felicia
Yet another video about how if you auto pilot your combos and your corner pressure you can get blown up by UNIVERSAL DEFENSIVE AND METER COSTLY options. Yet another video that says repeatedly "Oh sure, the defensive player made the right read, but that's not FAIR, how come if he makes a read I get killed?"

No specific examples, just "look what happens if I used this terrible meaty against this character with a million damage punish". He lists wake up counter attack "punishes" on meaties as a problem. He lists TOO MUCH JUMPING on reaction as a reason. He lists krushing blows that "EVERYONE" will "KILL"l you with as a problem. He cites "how many matches at Combo Breaker" as if literally any of the 800 players AT combo breaker said, you know what the problem is? Offensive rolling. Too much def meter! Too many MEATIES BEING PUNISHED ON WAKEUP.

Sorry Tom.

omooba

fear the moobs
umm no? neutral jump punch covers delayed wake up, roll forward and most u2s and u3s. like bruh the risk reward is 100% balanced.
no you shouldn't get free pressure. this game was based on the logic that you should have to win neutral a lot more and make a lot more reads than other netherealm games. this is part of that logic.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
It should be removed. It you're knocked down, that's it. You should be at a disadvantage. It's encouraged a meta where people just jump out of knockdown or mash uppercut because the offense player is being forced into a situation where neutral jumping is his best option.

Whoever thought "let's give EX smoke towards from MKX to every character on wakeup" is an asshole.

If I get the knockdown, l ought to be able to pressure or block to bait out your wakeup. Not playing this 25/25/25/25 game and walk back terrified of your roll.

Keep roll away as a resource capped tech roll. Get rid of roll forward. It's embarrassingly bad design.

Last edited:
Of course not. The person doing the roll is taking a risk, he is using defensive meter without knowing if it will payoff, and can even be punished. The player in the offensive can also decide to take a risk or not by pressuring the opponent in the floor, but without using any meter. AND has the option to play it safe and do nothing, while the other guy is wasting meter in wakeups/rolls.

You knocked down the opponent? Good, you already have the advantage, why more?

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
Yet another video about how if you auto pilot your combos and your corner pressure you can get blown up by UNIVERSAL DEFENSIVE AND METER COSTLY options. Yet another video that says repeatedly "Oh sure, the defensive player made the right read, but that's not FAIR, how come if he makes a read I get killed?"

No specific examples, just "look what happens if I used this terrible meaty against this character with a million damage punish". He lists wake up counter attack "punishes" on meaties as a problem. He lists TOO MUCH JUMPING on reaction as a reason. He lists krushing blows that "EVERYONE" will "KILL"l you with as a problem. He cites "how many matches at Combo Breaker" as if literally any of the 800 players AT combo breaker said, you know what the problem is? Offensive rolling. Too much def meter! Too many MEATIES BEING PUNISHED ON WAKEUP.

Sorry Tom.
Sounds like this guy has been mauled in the corner one too many times.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
Of course not. The person doing the roll is taking a risk, he is using defensive meter without knowing if it will payoff, and can even be punished. The player in the offensive can also decide to take a risk or not by pressuring the opponent in the floor, but without using any meter. AND has the option to play it safe and do nothing, while the other guy is wasting meter in wakeups/rolls.

You knocked down the opponent? Good, you already have the advantage, why more?
Except you don’t have any advantage when you have to guess among 4+ options. You should have 2. Wake up nattack or delay.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I'm surprised no one has brought up the "you can do the same thing your opponent does" argument. Let's say you roll out of the corner and switched position. They can literally do the same thing and vice versa. It's not like we are talking about character matchups that aren't fair, everyone can roll.

The option isn't broken, if the roll was free then yes that would be broken. I think it's fine, and it's punishable. It's not like the roll is God mode just because you are super aggro and make a bad read.

i think you should pay more attention to your opponents meter when pressuring
This.

This.

This.

Most players don't take the fraction of a second to check not only their meters, but their opponent's as well. If you rush in too much or don't learn to bait ANY kind of wakeup, you deserve to eat that shit imo. I was playing @Juggs recently and remembered real quick that I wasn't playing UMK3 anymore, so I had to stop stampeding the full match. There's real depth in the balance between offense and defense in this game, and that's part of what makes it so addictive right now. No two matches are the same, partly because of such mechanics.

Except you don’t have any advantage when you have to guess among 4+ options. You should have 2. Wake up nattack or delay.
You have to guess IF you want. Nobody is forcing you to make the guess, you can stay neutral and watch the other guy wasting meter. And still, if you want to take the risk, odds are in your favor. On the other hand, the defender is forced to make a guess.

Last edited:

DarkSado

Noob
I actually think the roll should be nerfed..

So you have an aa wake up, invincible wake up, delayed wake up, forward roll, backward roll and normal get up option...

Imo they need to be dialed down but I’m sure that is probably an unpopular opinion
No I agree there to many defensive mechanic also there hop that beat throw and armor interectable.

Methysan

Noob
I'm surprised no one has brought up the "you can do the same thing your opponent does" argument. Let's say you roll out of the corner and switched position. They can literally do the same thing and vice versa. It's not like we are talking about character matchups that aren't fair, everyone can roll.

Just because both players can do something doesn't mean it's not a broken mechanic that devolves the game.

Meaty with the first button of a highly staggerable string.

If they roll you recover first and can force them to tech a throw. If they don't roll and block use the short recovery of that normal to continue pressure.

That in addition to just reading and throwing them and neutral jump shenanigans. Forward roll is good but doesn't feel yet like it needs to be toned down

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I actually think the roll should be nerfed..

So you have an aa wake up, invincible wake up, delayed wake up, forward roll, backward roll and normal get up option...

Imo they need to be dialed down but I’m sure that is probably an unpopular opinion
I agree a lot with this.

I learned to settle for what the game is at the end of the day, but for the first 2 weeks I was hardcore despising how many defensive options there are that straight up fuck you over if you're not 200% aware of them. And what the fuck is up with 90% of the games wakeups being safe unless you FB them.

From how fast rolls recover, to how many wakeups are nearly safe on whiff even if you're expecting them, to having 3 types of neutral getup on top of that, etc.

Definitely agree on rolls costing 1 def + 1 off.

Last edited: