What's new

Should EVO Be A NRS Community Major?

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
First, this is not an EVO bash thread. I'm not running around with pitchforks or anything. I just want to know the overall community's feelings. I've been thinking about heading to Vegas this summer and the thought of planning it around EVO cropped up. I was all for it but then the sourness of having to donate to see the game or the game not being on Sunday in the arena like the other main games popped up in my thoughts.

Next, the thoughts of 'Why participate in an event that treats us like the red headed step child?' or 'What if our game doesn't make the cut?' crept in. I countered the participation question with we still get exposure to help grow our scene further despite the fact that Sonic Fox has won over a quarter million dollars during MKX's time (not trying to count the lil' homie's pockets but its up there). The making the cut question brought me to making this thread and looking for others' thoughts.

EVO registration normally gathers the most participants because of the massive amount of players in the vicinity. Just estimating but I think maybe only 30% probably play NRS titles as their main game. The other 70% are just playing it just to play. Either way you slice it, its good for the community. My question becomes why would everyone mark their date off for an event like EVO that "treats" our game like a low tier game instead of supporting events like KiT that seem to cater to NRS games? Just thinking about Vegas prices, I'm sure you probably could attend two other majors that treat NRS titles like a main for the price you'll pay just attending EVO. What I'm going with that thought is why aren't we supporting our events to build them up to the prestige of EVO? The name of Mr. Aquaman's event slips me at the moment but that shit was downright amazing from my "stream seat" and friends that attended all seemed to enjoy it. Why aren't we marking our calendars for events like this?

Taking a hypothetical number for entrants at EVO this year to be 1,000 - mainly because its a new game. Using the 70/30 breakdown, imagine if 300 players decided to go to Summer Jam or Aquaman's event. Lets say they get maybe 300 players to attend. Lets add 200 players decide to attend either event rather than EVO. It'll bring our imaginary total to 500. To me, that win with 500 would be more prestigious than that win with 1,000 because those 500 were there for the game while a lot of that 1,000 are just playing just to play. Again, hypothetical numbers and these splits are probably off.

Now what does this have to do with EVO being a major? Simple. We kind of know the events that cater to our titles will be there. We can almost count them as a "staple major". With EVO, we may be a main game one year and the next be forced to donate to play the game. I don't see the reasoning with continuing to fight and claw for our place within an event that seems to not really "like" our game(s). Why not just support the events that support us?

I have no more to type. These are my thoughts and would like to hear the opinion of others. I'm not looking to boycott EVO or cause an argument. Thoughts or opinions?

TLDR; Your young ass is outta school - read this ish - education doesn't stop :)

Well, I kind of agree with you. This debate has come around time and time again, Foxy made a thread about it after EVO 2016, etc. For me CB or KiT could be the NRS major for the tournament season. But that's not my call to make.

Tweedy

Noob
EVO was retweeting people asking for nuggets instead of announcing the pot bonus. Took them like a week lol.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Any community not Capcom always says this, and nothing ever changes.

EVO gets more viewers, entrants, and bigger pots than almost any other tournament. Has their treatment of non-Capcom games been great lately? Nah. But it still is and most likely will always be the premier fighting game tournament.

The real debate should be whether EVO should outweigh almost every other major. I think there's more of a case for that then whether or not EVO will be considered a major.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Lots of games had issues at the last EVO. They moved to two brand new venues, and with that came a lot of problems. It wasn't just us, but for some reason we adopted the mentality that it was only focused on NRS.

The only thing I don't agree with is not having INJ2 on Sunday, but other than it's been pretty standard issues that a number of other game communities also complain about.

The short answer though, is that this is the biggest showcase for any game and the biggest event of the year. And it's a chance for people to play and hang that may not see each other for the rest of the year. No amount of conniving will make it otherwise; so you may as well take advantage of it.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
normally, EVO has major relevance only in the first year when a new NRS come out, due the hype weight and all intital interesting in the new game just grows .... the following year of the new game life cycle (2nd years existence), ok, could still work in some level, but, in/at the 3rd straight year of live existence of any NRS game, normally, the game loses its importance in EVO, so, that how this shit works so far .... so any NRS new game has only a 2 year guaranted ticket validation on EVO, after that, this tournament does not increase influence anymore in the competive scene for a NRS fighting game

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Just have the game at Evo, take the shaft for the Saturday finals but have our main event be Combo Breaker (it being the big chicago tournament and its NRS home base) while at the same time having the War of the Gods finals be the Inj2 exclusive event similar to how KIWC exist or ProTour. My personal 2 cents

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Lots of games had issues at the last EVO. They moved to two brand new venues, and with that came a lot of problems. It wasn't just us, but for some reason we adopted the mentality that it was only focused on NRS.

The only thing I don't agree with is not having INJ2 on Sunday, but other than it's been pretty standard issues that a number of other game communities also complain about.

The short answer though, is that this is the biggest showcase for any game and the biggest event of the year. And it's a chance for people to play and hang that may not see each other for the rest of the year. No amount of conniving will make it otherwise; so you may as well take advantage of it.
Underlined for reiteration.

Slymind

Noob

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
How does everyone not know by now that Injustice 2 isn't on Sunday? This was a blowup when announced.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
EVO is the main event... we all want our NRS games to be featured there.. not getting the Sunday block is a real blow.. but considering last time injustice was on the main stage at evo our own community booed it.... well it isn't that surprising.

Look at ComboBreaker.. Injustice 2 a brand new game had like just over 4K viewers for pools.. (I was not able to watch finals live) That is less than Max gets on a daily stream.. and Street Fighter has nearly 30K at 2800ish... even "low tier games" had larger viewer counts on stream than IJ2.

Saying we shouldn't be at evo is like saying Italy shouldn't play at the World Cup.. just crazy talk. BUT it is on NRS and WB to make a more competitively sound game as well.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
EVO is the main event... we all want our NRS games to be featured there.. not getting the Sunday block is a real blow.. but considering last time injustice was on the main stage at evo our own community booed it.... well it isn't that surprising.

Look at ComboBreaker.. Injustice 2 a brand new game had like just over 4K viewers for pools.. (I was not able to watch finals live) That is less than Max gets on a daily stream.. and Street Fighter has nearly 30K at 2800ish... even "low tier games" had larger viewer counts on stream than IJ2.

Saying we shouldn't be at evo is like saying Italy shouldn't play at the World Cup.. just crazy talk. BUT it is on NRS and WB to make a more competitively sound game as well.
Top 16 for INJ2 at Combo Breaker broke 27,000 viewers.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
yeah I missed the finals live.. so I was only talking about pools .