What's new

Samurai Shodown/Samurai Spirits Series

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water
If someone interested in online play, any discussing or questions about those weapon fighting series, feel free to post here. I think I can answer any related questions

W

wazz

Samurai Shodown / Samurai Spirits series Thread

am down 4 som samrai. kaillera p2p or 2df. shit i think i 4got my 2df pass. i know u kick my ass. but all in fun :)

wazz said:
am down 4 som samrai. kaillera p2p or 2df. shit i think i 4got my 2df pass. i know u kick my ass. but all in fun :)
ohh since when wazz?

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water

MK is SS; Scorpion is Hanzo, Sub-Zero is Sogetsu, Liu Kang is Haohmaru, Shang Tsung is Amakusa, Sonya is Charlotte, Kano is Genjuro, Jax is Sieger, Baraka is Gen-An, Kitana is Nakoruru, Mileena is Rera, Shao Kahn is Zankuro, Sindel is Mizuki, Frost is Rimururu, Shujinko is Yunfei, etc....should I continue ? ;D

Black Shroud said:
MK is SS; Scorpion is Hanzo, Sub-Zero is Sogetsu, Liu Kang is Haohmaru, Shang Tsung is Amakusa, Sonya is Charlotte, Kano is Genjuro, Jax is Sieger, Baraka is Gen-An, Kitana is Nakoruru, Mileena is Rera, Shao Kahn is Zankuro, Sindel is Mizuki, Frost is Rimururu, Shujinko is Yunfei, etc....should I continue ? ;D
almost similiar characters,and different fighting systems ;)

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water

Comparing MK and SS systems its like comparing Scorpion's Hapkido and Pi Gua.
Btw both MK and SS use weapon/hand to hand combat, but in MK hand to hand is main mode whereas in SS weapon combat is main mode

Y

Yungcracca

I was playing SSVspecial the other day and I suck ass at this game.

I'm much better at Last Blade 2.

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water

Last Blade houses different psychology of game altogether, its closer to "normal" fightings like KOF, SF, GG etc, it has combos, hits feel light, chars have small recoveries. It even has Speed mode which makes gameplay process exactly like hand-to-hand fighters, except that character sprites have swords in their hands.
SS instead feels much more like weapon fighting, with risky strong attacks with long recoveries, and heavy damage when they hit. SS universe is much more expanded, it has 11 main games, and like 4 side ones including world-exploring RPG style game analogous to MK's Konquest, and number of characters in SS is more than 100 ones for now, and that excluding lots of NPC characters.
Last Blade series never got so much development because SNK made them especially as "some alternative to out main sword fighting series which are SS" and abandoned them after 2 iterations and a handheld port. Plus SS series happen in more feudal times and feel more authentic, whereas LB takes place during all that meiji and europesation of Japan, and you can see europeans in backgrounds and european clothes on some characters (Moriya, Setsuna). And Last Blade music samples are european as well (its not that something is bad with that, and I like art and music direction of game, but gameplay just doesnt feels right to me who mainly played SS for last 6 years)

EDIT: To compare at scale, I think its safe to say that SS compared to LB is around same as MK compared to Tao Feng (well to something that was more successful than Tao Feng) ;D

Y

Yungcracca

Thats actually the best comparison of LB and SS I've ever read, there is no real bashing of one and praise of the other. That makes perfect sense to me. I don't know I liked LB2 because i felt like I could actually compete in it. (I'm not good at any fighter highlvl but MK1-4) My Zantetsu is pretty mean, I liked him alot because he was a mix of kung lao, raiden and reptile in one character Repkunrai!!!!! I even have the Final Edition for Dreamcast with the extra character.

The few times i played SSV online i had infs done to me right away. Though still i'd like to play this game some more.

It's very slow paced and "turtleish" it sounds like?

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water

2D SS games, brokeness meter
SS1 - good, I suppose its too simple to be unbalanced
SS2 - ok but slightly unbalanced. Its upgrade on SS1 engine
SS3 - super broken, everyone has infinite, competitively is a joke
SS4 - ok until you "dont know what you are doing", but broken on very high level play. Its upgrade on SS3 type engine and fixed SS3 errors.
SS5 - unbalanced and Yoshitora has easy infinite, competitively is a joke as well
SS5sp - perfect balance (achieved because they did lots of public tests + corrected SS5 bugs and stuff) plus bonus characters/arenas. Its like UMK3 to MK3.
SS6 - unbalanced because of ton of characters (dreammatch with all 2D chars). Engine is new and doesnt feels like any one of the old. This is like MKT and MKA combined (some of worst part of them). This game is liked best by SS noobs, but disliked by hardcore parts. Feel of engine, atmoshpere, music, and violence, blood, fatalitites were thrown in the window.
Good part of game is ton of characters and bonus characters, everyone getting new moves and stuff, Spirit groove system allowing to slap on a character gameplay system on either SS1,SS2,SS3,SS4,SS5,SS6 (original),Animal,Demon and custom Matsuri (last 3 on console version only).

Zantetsu has some infinites and nasty stuff as I heard. Judging from your character mix however, you should play as Galford and Ukyo in SS. Also dont attempt to play SS5 online unless you just like to see pretty backgrounds. Go to http://2dfighter.com and play SS5sp online instead.

About pace...
SS1 and SS2 are tactical, you can use waiting game. Both have simple gameplay systems
SS3 and SS4 are agressive combo rush and you can combo from grab (not unlike MKD, but not so broken)
SS5 and SS5sp are again tactical, but gameplay system is pretty complex, dealing with specific character properties
SS6 - depends on spirit groove, overall damage is considerably cut down in this game, new engine has annoying things like little recoveries after attacks, big drain of sword gauge energy even on whiffed attacks, opponents being pushed towards you if you combo them in the back, and possibility of flipping opponent's weapon behind screen's border. Also arenas are shorter and smaller as I remember

There are also 4 3D iterations, I havent touched them in this post

ok it is good to know that SSVsp is the right one I should be playing! Who is a character a noob should start out with and learn? Thats a really good detailed post...

I'm going to start playing this game more and more I think. On mame should i have the dipswitches Japanese or USA? Does the japanese original have more gore?

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water

SS5sp only downside is lack of colorful arenas, particularly forest or sakura arena which are usually found in other games (and in SS5), and SS5sp arenas look kinda blander that usual SS because much space on cartridge was used on 28 characters and individual fatality animations.

There are 3 version of SS5sp rom: Uncensored, Less Censored (game ignores dismemberment attempts) and Censored (white blood and no character-specific fatalities which are substituted by horisontal dash attack animation same for all). SS5sp made a great upheaval in Japan by its violence, and after Nevada-tan incident (school slashing) everyone looked at SNK and great censorship crusade began, with SS5sp boards retrieved and changed to censored versions in most cases. Its pretty hard to get uncensored version outside PC emulators like MAME, Kawaks and FBAlpha, and unibios must be applied.

I used to play using MAME32k on kaillera, but as MAME doesnt supports SS5sp officially, SS5sp rom for MAME basically is made to posing under SS5 rom, so it is called samsho5.zip, and in MAME its displayed as Samurai Shodown V (Secret Boss Edition), i e as variation of SS5. After 2DF and GGPO services with lag compensation were established, SS community gradually gone from kaillera to 2DF. 2DF supports SS1,2,3,4 and Less Censored SS5sp (uncensored isnt avialable because of FBAlpha, emulator used by 2DF, doesnt supports unibios)

Most beginner friendly characters in game are Haohmaru, Kazuki, maybe Yoshitora. You can also try Mina but she has lowest defence in game and can be killed by raged Zankuro in 1 max 2 hits ;D

Go to my Spirits Society forum http://forum.int13.ru, upon registering go to emulators and roms section and check Netplay section as well to set everything up

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water
No, I dont but than again SS2 is both on 2df AND on GGPO, so basically if I would like to play it I can do it anytime. I already played some of strongest asian players there.
By the way a hint for SS2:
Select Ukyo, after any landed hit attempt to use Afterimage Dashing Slash, if it gets blocked use his kick attack where he slides and hits low, after that make OTG (Off The Ground) version of his Swallow Slice (hits high and produces projectile). All of this together is very nasty. For OTG versions of aerial moves, you input directional part on ground, then jump and press attack part in air (in this case hcf on ground, then jump+Slash)

dubson

Noob
Yeah, I am no expert at SamSho, but I think it is pretty clear to me anyway that Ukyo is the best character in the game.

Superior pokes and near instant recovery on a lot of them.

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water
Well honestly in SS2 Gen-An is near top as well, Im not sure who is stronger - he or Ukyo. Gen-An has an "Get over here" move which makes opponent dizzy, if he's close he will do close strong slash and can chain it in "Get over here" again ;D
Then his Rolling Meat Tumble move, from which he can be hit with fireballs only. Then his weak fireball eliminates any jump-ins as it sticks in one place before Gen-An and remains for some time. Finally his ridiculous crouching sliding knees with zero recovery which he can spam all day, and if you want to jump over he greets you with instant veritcal jump with medium slash which is superb anti-air

Charlotte has pretty good pokes as well, also Hanzo can be very annoying as his command grab drains alot of life and he can use it from roll, from dash, from jump when landing (for example after his air slash was blocked)

Black Shroud said:
Go to my Spirits Society forum http://forum.int13.ru, upon registering go to emulators and roms section and check Netplay section as well to set everything up
I tried to register but my email account never got the verification code